Unraid not returning IP Address on initial boot

Arcaeus

Hello all,

For some reason, my computer is not obtaining an IP address from the network when booting up Unraid. Here are the steps I took:

1. Installed Unraid onto flash drive using Unraid installer program.
  2. Inserted into computer I want running Unraid
  3. Installed drives to computer using SATA
  4. Made sure ethernet cable is connected and works on other computer
  5. Booted Unraid computer
  6. Looked around in the BIOS to confirm everything was working, temps ok, onboard NIC card/chip enabled, set boot priority to USB drive
  7. Unraid menu comes up, I let boot automatically.
  8. Looks like everything is installing fine
  9. Get all the way to the end and get:

unRAID Server OS version: 6.6.6

IPv4 address: not set

Tower login: 

I don't see it on Fing, and I haven't found what login info it would want. And I can't get into the web GUI as nothing is showing up when putting "http://tower" in the browser. I looked through the manual but didn't see anything that helped.

Any ideas on how to fix this or what I'm doing wrong?

2 hours ago, Arcaeus said:

For some reason, my computer is not obtaining an IP address from the network when booting up Unraid.

Try turning off bonding in the network.cfg.

As far as I can tell your motherboard only has one NIC.  Startup is failing to initialize bond0.

Here is your current network.cfg file:

# Generated network settings
USE_DHCP="yes"
IPADDR=
NETMASK=
GATEWAY=
BONDING="yes"
BRIDGING="yes"

Put your flash drive in a PC and edit /config/network.cfg

Set BONDING to "no"

Save network.cfg and try rebooting server. 

Edited by Hoopster

Ok, I changed bonding to no, put it in and booted up. It got to the end and came back with

IPv4 address: 169.254.219.64

IPv6 address: not set

I plugged that IP address into my browser and it just came back with the error "169.254.219.64 took too long to respond"

Let me know if you need the diagnostic file again.

19 minutes ago, Arcaeus said:

Ok, I changed bonding to no, put it in and booted up. It got to the end and came back with

IPv4 address: 169.254.219.64

A 169.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address indicates that your server is not communicating with the router/DHCP server.  These addresses get assigned when no valid IP address can be assigned. 

Your server should be getting a 10.1.18.xxx number from the DHCP server.

Is the NIC on your motherboard known to be good and have you connected to your router with it in a different OS prior to trying to boot it as an unRAID server?

23 minutes ago, Arcaeus said:

That's interesting. So what should we try next?

Do what @trurl suggested and delete network.cfg from your flash drive and let a new one be created.

If that does not work, you can manually edit network.cfg and set a static IP address and see if the server boots properly with that.

To set a static IP address (that's a good idea anyway) edit your network.cfg to look like this:

# Generated network settings
USE_DHCP="no"
IPADDR="10.1.18.xxx"  (make xxx a number you know is currently available on your network; like 150 or something high)
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY[0]="10.1.18.1"  (this is just an example, set this to the IP address of your router/DHCP server)
DNS_SERVER1="1.1.1.1"  (these are the cloudflare public DNS servers, you could also set them to google; 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4)
DNS_SERVER2="1.0.0.1"
BONDING="no"
BRIDGING="yes"

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1
7 minutes ago, Arcaeus said:

Most recently, I have had it connected to my router through a USB Wi-Fi card in Win 8.

Well, that does not help us to know if the onboard NIC is functioning.

7 minutes ago, Arcaeus said:

Before that, I had it connected with the same OS with an Ethernet cable into my router. And that was about 4 months ago.

But, that does seem to indicate the NIC is functional (at least it was 4 months ago).

You indicted in the first post you had tested the Ethernet cable on another PC, so, the cable should be good as well.

Edited by Hoopster

Haha sorry. I had the original hard drive in the computer (not connected when trying to boot Unraid), so just plugged it in, and booted. In Windows, the ethernet connection was working.

I deleted the network.cfg file, plugged it back in and booted. Now, here is what I got:

IPv6 address: not set

now onto setting a static IP? which I have to do through my router, correct?

Doesn't look like unRaid has the driver for the ethernet.

07:00.0 Power PC [0b20]: Freescale Semiconductor Inc MPC8308 [1957:c006] (rev 10)
	Subsystem: Bigfoot Networks, Inc. Killer E2100 Gigabit Ethernet Controller [1a56:1201]

Not sure if it supports the "Killer" NICs  You have another add-on card you can try instead?

Edited by Squid
5 minutes ago, Squid said:

You have another add-on card you can try instead (or is there another NIC on board that you've disabled?)

I don't, as my only other option is the USB Wi-Fi adapter, which doesn't count here. To my knowledge I don't know of another NIC onboard, I definitely haven't disabled anything consciously.

Would I need to go pick one up at Micro Center or something?

Edited by Arcaeus
grammar
1 minute ago, Arcaeus said:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/486407/h50304-10-100-1000-internal-low-profile-pci-express-gigabit-ethernet-card

Does this work? I don't think they sell Intel NIC cards, just an ASUS 10G and the one listed above.

It doesn't say what Ethernet chip is used.   It's cheap, you could always try it and return it if it does not work.

As Squid said, an Intel chip-based card is best.  I am sure you could find a good one on eBay, but, that means some wait time.

1 minute ago, Arcaeus said:

@Hoopster I think that's a good plan. So once I plug in that card and fire up the system, I shouldn't need to install any drivers or anything? Or will that be handled by Unraid?

Right, you don't need to install drivers.  The Linux kernel contains the drivers.  The problem appears to be that it does not have drivers for your onboard NIC.