MC copy files problem

loady

I am copying lots of 5-7gb files from my server to an unassigned device, im using MC to do it but its getting to 41% on every file and saying not enought space on device (28), i googled a bit and from what i can make out the files are being passed through a tmp directory on the flash drive and this is what is filling up ?..how can i fix this ?

1 minute ago, loady said:

i googled a bit and from what i can make out the files are being passed through a tmp directory on the flash drive and this is what is filling up

Not likely. You have probably misunderstood something. Could you post a link to what makes you think that?

/tmp is one of the usual Linux OS folders, and like all the other OS folders, it is in RAM.

I use MC all the time to copy files larger than that. Maybe a diagnostic would tell something.

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

Not likely. You have probably misunderstood something. Could you post a link to what makes you think that?

/tmp is one of the usual Linux OS folders, and like all the other OS folders, it is in RAM.

I use MC all the time to copy files larger than that. Maybe a diagnostic would tell something.

I lterally googled "mc no space left on device (28)"

warptower-diagnostics-20190425-1845.zip

the unassigned device was removed, hmmm..the cache disc keeps getting filled, i use sonar for TV programs, it always used to move them to the array upon completion and just stopped doing so, i would invoke mover and it would start to empty out, not anymore

Looks like you have that share set to cache-prefer. And syslog is saying cache is full. Cache-prefer means move the files from the array to cache.

Here is a link explaining the cache settings in more detail:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/page/2/#comment-537383

If you want files moved from cache to array then you must set the user share to cache-yes, not cache-prefer. Cache-prefer means try to keep the files on cache and if anything overflows to the array try to move it back to cache when possible.

Whether or not you have enough room to move anything is another question.

The diagnostics you posted showed no Unassigned drive mounted.

You might want to go to a console prompt and type the ‘df’ command.   The Unassigned drive should show up there as a mounted device with a path starting with /mnt/disks.   If it does not then any attempt to write to it will result in writes to RAM regardless of what the GUI is saying.

8 minutes ago, itimpi said:

The diagnostics you posted showed no Unassigned drive mounted.

You might want to go to a console prompt and type the ‘df’ command.   The Unassigned drive should show up there as a mounted device with a path starting with /mnt/disks.   If it does not then any attempt to write to it will result in writes to RAM regardless of what the GUI is saying.

And filling RAM would be a good explanation of why it says that path is full.

Well that seems to have sorted everything. I wondered why I was getting write speeds of 124mbs.

Now it's working, I'm using my laptop and MC to do a copy from the array to the unassigned drive , the files are iso files of around 7gb, the write speeds I'm getting are about 5/7mbs. I thought that copying files across the bus this way was way quicker ?

12 hours ago, loady said:

I'm using MC on my laptop via putty SSH session, server is plugged into router, laptop is a Microsoft surface book Pro....no Ethernet port on it.

Just wanted to make sure you didn't have MC installed on your laptop and were using it to access the files on the server. It was confusing because you asked this.

23 hours ago, loady said:

Is it because I'm running MC over wifi on my laptop ?

So assuming I haven't misinterpreted your answer, MC is running on the server. The only part of this that is running on your laptop is putty.

The network isn't involved except for putty to display and operate the UI of MC, and that UI is very simple since it is all ASCII text. All the actual file operations take place on the server where MC is running. So the network, wifi or not, is not involved in the speed of file operations.

12 hours ago, trurl said:

Just wanted to make sure you didn't have MC installed on your laptop and were using it to access the files on the server. It was confusing because you asked this.

So assuming I haven't misinterpreted your answer, MC is running on the server. The only part of this that is running on your laptop is putty.

The network isn't involved except for putty to display and operate the UI of MC, and that UI is very simple since it is all ASCII text. All the actual file operations take place on the server where MC is running. So the network, wifi or not, is not involved in the speed of file operations.

Ok, well I changed to a desktop pc that is connected to my network into same router that server is via ethernet port, it was much faster, 4 hours to copy some 200gb opposed to 18 hours on the laptop connected by WiFi. To reiterate, I only have putty installed on laptop, not MC, so I assume, as you said, MC is being invoked on the server over the putty session..I'm pretty sure I have been here before and was told that although the files are not being physically pulled from array to laptop and back to unassigned disk, doing it this way over wifi does limit the speed some how..I may be wrong but for me, when I hard wired everything up it was much faster.

EDIT: I have copied the files over that i wanted, i have just noticed that the cache drive is full again, its full with copies of the files i have just copied from unassigned disk to the array, somewhere it is being told to use the cache drive for copying over ?

4 hours ago, loady said:

somewhere it is being told to use the cache drive for copying over

Were you copying to a user share or to a disk? The settings of the user share you were copying to is the only thing that would cause it to use cache. If you were copying to a disk it wouldn't go to cache unless you were specifically copying to cache.

Archived