Transmission unMenu package

So a little update:

Turns out getting a version of glibc above 2.7 installed on a machine running unRAID 4.7 is harder than I would have liked it to be.

It looks like building transmission statically is the only option available.  I am looking into that right now and will update this thread when I have something new.

In the mean time:

IF YOU ARE ON 4.7 DO NOT INSTALL TRANSMISSION ON YOUR MACHINE! IT WILL BREAK OTHER LIBRARIES USED BY OTHER APPLICATIONS AND POSSIBLE UNRAID ITSELF

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So a little update:

Turns out getting a version of glibc above 2.7 installed on a machine running unRAID 4.7 is harder than I would have liked it to be.

It looks like building transmission statically is the only option available.  I am looking into that right now and will update this thread when I have something new.

In the mean time:

IF YOU ARE ON 4.7 DO NOT INSTALL TRANSMISSION ON YOUR MACHINE! IT WILL BREAK OTHER LIBRARIES USED BY OTHER APPLICATIONS AND POSSIBLE UNRAID ITSELF

I installed benni-chans tranmission plugin on the latest 5.0 beta, and it broke my cache_dirs. Same thing? Might not just be affecting 4.7 users.

Here's my other post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=4500.270

I'm getting this error message on at least 2 private trackers:

Tracker returned an error: You are trying to announce way too frequently

Is this something that can be configured?

Running Unraid 4.7 and Transmission 2.33 (12565).

Thanks!

Note that running this package (as of right now) actually breaks something on unRAID 4.7.  There is no easy way for me to fix this and I suggest not running this on 4.7 any more.

As for the too frequent announce thing, look on the transmission forums.  I don't explicitly set anything related to those transmission settings.  If I did/could I would have made it a configurable option.  This question is better asked on the transmission forum.

Installing, or running it?  I've had it running for months without issue.  Note, it's been some time since I upgraded Transmission (I think the last time I did was October 2011) so I'm running an older unmenu package.  Will that make a difference?

I'll check the Tranmission webpage for help, thanks!

If you are running Transmission 2.33 on unRAID 4.7 via ANY of the packages I had created on this thread then there IS an issue.  The install will work just fine.  The issue presented itself after a couple of people reported another unMenu package not installing the newest version after I had released a new update.  I finally ran down the problem and it is related to a library I am installing that is meant for a newer version of Slackware than what unRAID 4.7 is built on.  The library I was installing "corrupts" the xargs command (and maybe others) so that no/improper data is returned.  I rely on the xargs command in my unMenu packages to determine the correct version to install so that updates and re-installs go easier.  I did not run into this previously because I was not using xargs originally, but using xargs is simpler and better.

I may be able to find an older version of Transmission that will run on unRAID 4.7 but I will have to create a package for it.  If this package is working for you then great, but realize that something IS broken, it is not a matter of if it is broken, because I KNOW it is.  That is the reason for the big warning a couple post up and the warning in the 1st post in this thread.

Thanks for the thorough explanation.  Will it be sufficient to disable transmission, or does having installed it mean that the damage has already been done?

If you disable the reinstall on reboot and then reboot the server you will be fine.

I can probably create a package that will work on unRAID 4.7 but it will be no means be the newest version of Transmission.  If you are interested in something like that please let me kow and I will see what I can do.  The package should not be overly hard to crate since I already have one created.

Thanks for looking into this prostuff1.

I would be hoping for a Transmission version of at least 2.33.

The reason being, many of my trackers don't allow older versions to be used and currently there are no other bittorrent clients supported for Unraid

Thanks

EDIT: Untorrent was mysteriously withdrawn a few months ago citing incompatibilities. Could it be due to the same issue?

Thanks for looking into this prostuff1.

I would be hoping for a Transmission version of at least 2.33.

The reason being, many of my trackers don't allow older versions to be used and currently there are no other bittorrent clients supported for Unraid

Thanks

Probably would not be that version.  That is the current version that is used and it requires newer libraries than are in unRAID 4.7.  I will look around to see what I can find but I think the newest one we are going to end up with is somewhere between the 2.0 and 2.1 range.

EDIT: Untorrent was mysteriously withdrawn a few months ago citing incompatibilities. Could it be due to the same issue?

possibly, but I am not positive on that.

Hello.

I have installed curl from the list of dependencies but when i try to install Transmission i am told the following 

Required dependency, curl-7.21.4-i486-1.txz, has not been installed. Please install it before installing pyLoad.

You can install the package Here

Any ideas?

Yes, I think I accidentally created the issue when I was trying to figure out what has happening on unRAID 4.7.

What version of unRAID are you running?

I can fix the issue but it might take me until tonight to get the new curl unMenu pacakge uploaded.

so xargs is used in unMENU only?

i use transmission, mail/ssmtp, powerdown, movers, from unmenu.

CouchPotato and Sick Beard via manual installs.

it all seems to be working fine for me.

when does the xargs issue ACTUALLY present itself? is it as simple as not performing unmenu updates, or is this going to destroy my data?

so xargs is used in unMENU only?

i use transmission, mail/ssmtp, powerdown, movers, from unmenu.

CouchPotato and Sick Beard via manual installs.

it all seems to be working fine for me.

when does the xargs issue ACTUALLY present itself? is it as simple as not performing unmenu updates, or is this going to destroy my data?

I doubt it will destroy data, I had been testing on 4.7 quite a bit and never had a problem with losing data.

I came across the issue because of an update to a couple of my packages (SABnzbd and SickBeard) which rely on a series of commands (one being xargs) to figure out what the current version of the application installed is and which one should be installed.  I had been using a different, more complex method before that did not use xargs so I was unaware of the issue previously.

so how exactly does this break things in 4.7 for unRAID? does it just break SB, SAB and Tranismission?

It does not so much break SAB, SB and Transmission as it does in breaking the install process. 

The fact that it breaks anything should be enough reason to not use it.  That is the reason I added the warning.

bah, its already installed, appears to be working fine, so i'll just go with the flow there ;)

fair enough, just wanted to give fair warning about what was going on.

I should have a new .conf out that will work properly on unRAID 4.7, though I can not promise what version it will be.  I still need to do some testing to find out what gets broken when.