Black Friday - 1TB or 2TB WD External Drive $69 @ Target

flips

Well we were all wondering how low a 2TB drive would go...  This is really low for an external.  I'm thinking you could just open up the case use the drive (EARS?) and then use the external case for a smaller SATA drive...

It seems odd that either drive is the same price, but I suppose some people want a smaller external drive (in terms of dimensions).

You will most definitely have to be in line at 4am for this one.  You won't be seeing me out there, but best of luck to those of you that want to brave it. :)

http://www.black-friday.net/target-ad-scan.html

page 2...

flips

In the ad it looks like the 2TB version is twice the size of the 1TB version.  Could be two 1TB drives in the 2TB version.

Drive is near the bottom of page 2 of the ad.

the 2TB is the desktop version (requires an AC Adapter) where the 1TB looks like a portable one (only requires USB). However since there are no 1TB laptop drives, it's more than likely a 2 x 500 2.5in setup.

My guess it's these

2TB:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QEBMCI?ie=UTF8&tag=the05e-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002QEBMCI

Product Dimensions: 7 x 4.9 x 1.4 inches ; 2.2 p

1TB:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B8PPEY?ie=UTF8&tag=the05e-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003B8PPEY

Product Dimensions: 5 x 3.1 x 0.6 inches ; 12 ounce

So yeah it looks like two 500 gig in the 1TB, gotta think it's only one in the 2Tb though..

This is in store only right?

I doesn't say on the ad, but I'm sure it is.

That article about what drive is in there also says that you can't put a different drive in there.  that's kind of a bummer.  WD must put in some protection against that.  Not sure why they would care though...

I've already stalked my prey at our local Target. I checked SKUs, part #s etc., hopefully I didn't miss anything(like a new version that uses advanced format drive and/or a custom bios). They have 5(2TB) out on the shelf right now. I've already talked to the wife and we're good to go. Fortunately our Target is only 2 minutes from our house. We plan to just stay up... hit Target, get some breakfast, and then go home to sleep. We're both going in case of limits and to help increase our odds, just in case of one of us gets injured by the herd of sheeple. ;D We don't normally go out on BF/Sat. but this seems like a good deal, unless an online store matches or comes close with a bare drive.

I still can't believe I'm planning this. ??? It's all UnRaid's fault. ;)

/justme