error on boot - HP Proliant

Hi,

my unraid server have been using unraid for more than a year now with no problems, i had to take down my unraid server for about a month and this evening i wanted to set it up again, when i boot up ill get this error:

Failed to load ldlinux.c32

Boot failed: please change disks and press a key to continue 

i can access my usb stick on a windows pc, but it tells me that the usb drive is damaged and it suggest that i scan and repair the usb stick, so i did and then windows tells me that it didn find any errors on the usb stick

i have tryed to use another usb drive

i have tryed to remove partitions on the usb i used to use and make a new bootable usb stick

all with the same result, the same error keep comming when i boot up.

any suggestions ? is the usb stick broke so i need a new one? if yes what usb stick is prefered to use?

Edited by Indicus

4 minutes ago, Indicus said:

i tryed to make a bootable usb on another laptop but keep getting that error

What EXACTLY is the error and where is it happening?  What is the exact text of the error message?  (The construction of the sentence indicates that the error is happening on the laptop.)

1 hour ago, Indicus said:

my server (HP Proliant)

I would like to suggest that you edit your first post in this thread and change the topic of this thread to include the manufacturer and server type--  HP Proliant.  There are many folks who use that hardware and you want to alert them about your problem.  They may have some suggestions.

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

I would like to suggest that you edit your first post in this thread and change the topic of this thread to include the manufacturer and server type--  HP Proliant.  There are many folks who use that hardware and you want to alert them about your problem.  They may have some suggestions.

ill do that, thanks for the suggestion.

I have been thinking about your problem.  I have a couple of suggestions.

First, see if that flash drive will boot in another computer.  (Unraid will not write to any drive connected to that computer unless you tell it to!)

Second, you said the server was out of service for a month and you set it back up.  I would assume that you had it unplugged. Could the CMOS battery have discharged?  (Which would reset the BIOS to its default.)  If there is any possibility of this, I would suggest that you replace the CMOS battery (Usually available anywhere that has a selection of hearing aid type batteries) and reset the BIOS.  By the way, The default settings on many BIOS have issues where it comes to booting Unraid.  You may want to google 'booting Unraid' and the 'HP Proliant' model that you have to see if anyone else has encountered issues before and solved them.

7 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

First, see if that flash drive will boot in another computer.  (Unraid will not write to any drive connected to that computer unless you tell it to!)

Second, you said the server was out of service for a month and you set it back up.  I would assume that you had it unplugged. Could the CMOS battery have discharged?  (Which would reset the BIOS to its default.)  If there is any possibility of this, I would suggest that you replace the CMOS battery (Usually available anywhere that has a selection of hearing aid type batteries) and reset the BIOS.  By the way, The default settings on many BIOS have issues where it comes to booting Unraid.  You may want to google 'booting Unraid' and the 'HP Proliant' model that you have to see if anyone else has encountered issues before and solved them.

why havent i checked that yet,  ill try that out in a sec.

yes all power cabels was pluged out of the pc but the flash drive were in the machine all time. could be the battery, havent checked that.

Thanks, will try to check this out first, its just strange that i can boot windows 10 install from a usb if unraid cant boot.

7 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

i tried to boot up on the flash drive on 3 laptops witout any luck, the laptops dont show any error but wont boot on the usb stick, tried to swap the usb stick with another usb harddrive with a windows install and all the laptop boots into windows install just perfect, so it must be the usb stick thats dead.

do you know what usb stick is prefered to run unraid from ? can see the list on unraids website is outdated

There is not a current preferred list of Flash Drives.  Here is a summary of the advice which has been made previously. 

1-- Choose a USB2 drive (if possible) as they are reputed to run cooler.  (USB3 speed is not required as Unraid only access the drive during boot-up for less then a minute.)

2-- The drive must be less than 32GB.  8GB is probably the minimum size that you can find these days. And that size would work fine.  (At one time it was thought that smaller drives may have larger cells which will run cooler.  However, I am not sure that is currently true since the largest Flash Drives have now reached the 1TB size.) 

3-- Don't get the physically smallest drive you can find.  The larger drives will have been better heat dissipation which will improve life and reliability.

4-- Get name-brand drive from a well known memory manufacturer. 

PS-- Read @trurl advice in the previous post.  When you do the format (second step), do a full format to make sure that there are not any issues on the flash drive. 

Edited by Frank1940
22 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

There is not a current preferred list of Flash Drives.  Here is a summary of the advice which has been made previously. 

1-- Choose a USB2 drive (if possible) as they are reputed to run cooler.  (USB3 speed is not required as Unraid only access the drive during boot-up for less then a minute.)

2-- The drive must be less than 32GB.  8GB is probably the minimum size that you can find these days. And that size would work fine.  (At one time it was thought that smaller drives may have larger cells which will run cooler.  However, I am not sure that is currently true since the largest Flash Drives have now reached the 1TB size.) 

3-- Don't get the physically smallest drive you can find.  The larger drives will have been better heat dissipation which will improve life and reliability.

4-- Get name-brand drive from a well known memory manufacturer. 

PS-- Read @trurl advice in the previous post.  When you do the format (second step), do a full format to make sure that there are not any issues on the flash drive. 

1-- check, did buy a scandisk ultra 16 gb, but wont work, the unraid usb tool wont even see the stick, but can see its a usb 3.0, so ill try another stick.

2-- yes know the maximum of 32 gb

3-- check ill remember that, my usb stick is located direct on the mainboard so size doesent matter here ;)

4-- will do

i have read trurls advice, did format the usb sticks the quick way, ill try a complete format