[SOLVED] cache mover failing to move files

Hello,

My Unradi array has  a 500 GB SSD cache drive.  While doing some debugging of a different problem, I noticed that the cache drive had un-moved files (in addition to the usual appdata, domains, etc).  I checked the disk shares and, yes, the files on the cache drive that should be on the disk share are not.  Here's the weird part: I copied these files to the array in February and I have copied many more in the months since and all of those were properly moved and are not now on the cache drive.  In other words, the mover skipped moving these files in February and then correctly moved all the files since.  I have run the "move now" command (Settings/Scheduler) to no effect.

Now these files happen to be from my dashcam, they are .mp4 video files of 3 minutes each and timestamped consecutively in the filename.  The weird thing is that half of the files copied that day, WERE moved to the disk share.  And the files not copied are not consecutive in date created or filename.  In others words a few files withe consecutive dates were moved and the a few were not and so on.

Can anybody tell me how this happened and what to do.  Since running the mover did not move the files, should I  move them directly from the cache drive to the target disk share manually and then delete them from the cache drive?  Should I stop the mover first and then restart or what?

Thanks for any help.

6 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Did you check that the cache setting on the shares are set appropriatly for what you want it to do ?

It would help if you posted your diagnostics file so the guys could look at it. :) 

Sorry, I didn't think that diagnostics would help here.  Yes, I checked the settings.  It's been working fine for at least 3 years.  Here is a screen shot of the settings.

Settings-Scheduler.JPG

tower-diagnostics-20200723-0659.zip

4 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Also files will not be moved due to split level in use and full disks, e.g.:

Jul 23 03:40:44 Tower move: move_object: /mnt/cache/Videos/Home video/dashcam/twila/twila-176/Movie/2020_0502_081113_102F.gpx No space left on device

Good point.   Split level appears to be set to 3 so any file with ‘twila’ as the 3rd folder within the Videos share will be forced to the disk where the ‘twila’ folder was first created as Split Level always takes precedence when selecting a disk for a file regardless of the other considerations such as free space and allocation method.

• CaptainTivo changed the title to [SOLVED] cache mover failing to move files
2 hours ago, itimpi said:

Good point.   Split level appears to be set to 3 so any file with ‘twila’ as the 3rd folder within the Videos share will be forced to the disk where the ‘twila’ folder was first created as Split Level always takes precedence when selecting a disk for a file regardless of the other considerations such as free space and allocation method.

This is the answer.  "twila" was originally created on disk8 (old 4 TB drive) and it filled up.  I originally set the split level to make sure that DVD rip folders were on a single disk, then I started adding more and more different types of data which don't need or should not have this split level.  Since split levels are defined per share, I suppose I would have to define a new share for the dashcam data to avoid this in the future.  For now, I will simply move that data to a disk with more free space.  I also learned that the diagnostics logs are good for something besides hardware problems.

Thanks for the help!

• Like 1