[Plugin] Nvidia-Driver

ich777

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Good boot time…

May I ask how often do you reboot your server? I reboot my server very little and even if I do so it is not of a huge deal because I know exactly how long it would take.

No, not by default.

Also please keep in mind that if you are creating such an image you with the drivers preloaded you should be on the version that you want to create a custom image, then you have to pull down the drivers, maybe some build dependencies, compile everything, pack the image again move it to your USB boot device (, hope everything went well so that your system is able to boot) and revoot afterwards.

This process would take about 15 to 20 minutes (<- with recent hardware) depending on the speed of your server.

Also keep in mind that the boot will also take longer, not that much longer as if you create a custom image but I think it will be around 20 to 30 seconds more, because the boot image is bogger and takes longer to load.

Hope that makes all sense to you.

That's all fair and good points.

I don't usually reboot often but when I'm debugging issues (which I've had lately), rebooting a few times a day is common.

Yeah so best case scenario I save 20-30 seconds even if a custom image were possible so perhaps what we have is the best we'll get.

• Like 1
On 7/30/2022 at 12:10 AM, ich777 said:

I‘m really not too sure what‘s going on on your system…

The driver is loaded from what I see in the system devices list but it seems it isn‘t fully loaded from what I see in the syslog on the other hand…

Sorry for now coming back at you sooner. I managed to test my setup with my friend's P1000 and it worked right away so the issue seems to be my card and not the HP Z440 ! Thanks for all your help !

• Like 1

unraid-diagnostics-20220820-1846.zip

Hello, 

I'm running into a strange issue with getting the plug installed. 

I can leave the window up for hours and it never finishes installing. 

Here is a snip of where it normally sits at. 

image.thumb.png.99967ed736f3dc36e0ebed098dc6eef2.png

I have rebooted a few different times trying to install. I have checked the flash\config\plugins\nvidia-driver\packages\5.15.46 folders and the file sizes matches what the files show on github. I have tested downloading the file from a few posts back and it downloads from github in around 15 seconds. I can update and install other apps/plugins without any issue. I have manually set my dns on the server to 8.8.8.8 to see if it was a strange dns issue with no change. 

I'm running a 1660 that is being shown in System Devices. The GPU is currently outputting video signal as well. 

image.thumb.png.6396a778890e71ab96f55ff5c872f488.png

Any Suggestions on what I could check or test. Attached is diagnostics

2 hours ago, KyleMcQueen said:

does removing this plugin uninstall the drivers if I ever wanted at some point to use a GPU in a VM?

Yes, but you have to reboot too to completely uninstall the plugin, this is also what the pop up tells you to when you remove it.

10 hours ago, Dbudd424 said:

I can leave the window up for hours and it never finishes installing. 

Something really strange is going on here and really can't tell what the cause of this issue is.

Please try this:

1. Remove the plugin
  2. Execute: rm -rf /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver*
  3. Reboot
  4. Try to install the plugin again from the CA App - of course wait for the plugin window to display the Done button
  5. Reboot again
  6. Pull the Diagnostics and post them here
1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Something really strange is going on here and really can't tell what the cause of this issue is.

Please try this:

1. Remove the plugin
  2. Execute: rm -rf /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver*
  3. Reboot
  4. Try to install the plugin again from the CA App - of course wait for the plugin window to display the Done button
  5. Reboot again
  6. Pull the Diagnostics and post them here

So the strange thing is If I close out of the installer and go to settings it will show the plugin there till I reboot and then it goes away.

I have rebooted and confirmed the plugin isn't in settings anymore.

Ran rm -rf /boot/config/plugins/nvidia-driver* and confirmed the folder no longer existed under flash\config\plugins

Rebooted again. 

Started my Array back up. 

Started the install from CA Apps at 8:52 am CT. 

image.thumb.png.c9b06391e5735a184c0fbdd7e9e90617.png

Checking flash\config\plugins\nvidia-driver

image.png.0255cae8e46ec84aa8d621b314950330.png

\flash\config\plugins\nvidia-driver\packages\5.15.46

image.png.ea07891ff2ae5edafc541e27a17717aa.png

Waited 2 hours and here is where its at 10:52 am CT.

image.thumb.png.e0cb7183ee758a1e0b168f7d87fe64d4.png

I'm going to give it another hour and I'll close reboot and pull the Diagnostics and post them here.

1 hour ago, Dbudd424 said:

I seems that it has issues pulling the .md5 file for this driver.

What kind of USB Flash drive are you using?

Have now tried it and it worked flawlessly:

grafik.thumb.png.2ab7c1abb8654407ffbba89adc3e0180.png

So the strange thing is If I close out of the installer and go to settings it will show the plugin there till I reboot and then it goes away.

Yes, because it can't find the md5 file on reboot and thinks that the driver isn't valid and so it gets removed.

You can circumvent that by simply placing the .md5 file in this directory and it should work that way too.

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

I seems that it has issues pulling the .md5 file for this driver.

What kind of USB Flash drive are you using?

Have now tried it and it worked flawlessly:

grafik.thumb.png.2ab7c1abb8654407ffbba89adc3e0180.png

Yes, because it can't find the md5 file on reboot and thinks that the driver isn't valid and so it gets removed.

You can circumvent that by simply placing the .md5 file in this directory and it should work that way too.

Flash drive is a 2.0 16gb Model: ona16aa016

Place the files in the folder and booted the server back up.

image.png.d600a75e3b032039bca34fa15eab1c5e.png

\flash\config\plugins\nvidia-driver

image.png.fc33cf38204707901170d60d39fcf9c5.png

If I reboot with these files here Nvidia driver doesn't show up in settings so if I run the app give it an hour close it out and go to the nvidia driver under settings and run Update & Download I get 

image.thumb.png.c17a772fabedc5a1ed16f53eee1cf7cf.png

If I reboot nvidia driver is no longer in settings but all the files still exist in the folder. 

I'm going to see if I can setup a new flash drive for unraid and give the install another go. 

41 minutes ago, gahhruuba said:

Is there no support for the GT 730?

The GT 730 is only supported by the legacy Nvidia 470 series driver.

For what do you want to use the card? This card isn‘t even capable of transcoding h265

I would recommend that upgrade to something like a NVIDIA T400, this card doesn‘t need external power, you can get it for about $120,- and it is low power, macimum TDP 35W

24 minutes ago, Dbudd424 said:

Flash drive is a 2.0 16gb Model: ona16aa016

Never heard of that I would recommend that you use something like a Transcend JetFlash 600 USB 2.0

26 minutes ago, Dbudd424 said:

I'm going to see if I can setup a new flash drive for unraid and give the install another go. 

After thinking again about it I think I had that issue oncex

The user solved this by changing the USB Boot device IIRC and never had that issue again.

On 6/24/2022 at 7:18 PM, 2Piececombo said:

No particular reason I didnt go to 6.9.2, a lack of time more than anything. I read a few random comments on YT videos and such that people had a few issues with 6.10, so I was going to upgrade eventually. I'll update over the weekend and post back if I still ahve issues.

Cheers

@ich777

So it's been two months since I last posted regarding my issues. I have since updated unraid to 6.10.3 as you suggested, but the problem persists. The problem being that unraid boots up and outputs display on the onboard display adapter, but as soon as it hits the login screen the display shows a blank page. The server is still accessible via the webui and everything seems to work fine. You mentioned previously that this would be resolved upon upgrading to 6.10, however this issue is still there.

Additionally, and possibly related, I have crashing/shutdown issues that only seem to occur while a GPU is connected to my system. I've documented the issue HERE. I have tested EVERY piece of hardware in my server. The crashing issue has happened with two different GPUs. I understand if the shut downs are not something you have any input on, I just figured I'd mention is in case it helps in some way.

Id really like to know why unraid will not display past the boot process with a GPU isntalled. (and no, the login is not showing while connected to the GPU display either) 

I've included diags, and can supply any other info if needed.

Cheers

diagnostics-20220821-1744.zip

12 minutes ago, 2Piececombo said:

@ich777

So it's been two months since I last posted regarding my issues. I have since updated unraid to 6.10.3 as you suggested, but the problem persists. The problem being that unraid boots up and outputs display on the onboard display adapter, but as soon as it hits the login screen the display shows a blank page. The server is still accessible via the webui and everything seems to work fine. You mentioned previously that this would be resolved upon upgrading to 6.10, however this issue is still there.

Additionally, and possibly related, I have crashing/shutdown issues that only seem to occur while a GPU is connected to my system. I've documented the issue HERE. I have tested EVERY piece of hardware in my server. The crashing issue has happened with two different GPUs. I understand if the shut downs are not something you have any input on, I just figured I'd mention is in case it helps in some way.

Id really like to know why unraid will not display past the boot process with a GPU isntalled. (and no, the login is not showing while connected to the GPU display either) 

I've included diags, and can supply any other info if needed.

Cheers

diagnostics-20220821-1744.zip 162.74 kB · 0 downloads

Follow up, booted the server up in safe mode (so no nvidia plugin) and the output is displaying properly.

On 8/21/2022 at 2:38 PM, ich777 said:

Never heard of that I would recommend that you use something like a Transcend JetFlash 600 USB 2.0

After thinking again about it I think I had that issue oncex

The user solved this by changing the USB Boot device IIRC and never had that issue again.

So I changed flash drive to a different one and moved my license to it. 

Tested it in a different usb port on the motherboard as well.

After 2 hours still stuck on this screen.

image.thumb.png.a21e7ea64aab82c2b221060cca58fd34.png

Looking at flash\config\plugins\nvidia-driver\packages\5.15.46 it still looks like its having an issue pulling the .md5 

image.png.049baf63101857e4e387bb0296715114.png

I test installed 2 random apps without any issues just to make sure it wasn't some crazy read only issue on the flash drive. 

I'm going to play with it some more and see if I can get it to work.

I test installed 2 random apps without any issues just to make sure it wasn't some crazy read only issue on the flash drive. 

This is really some funky stuff and I really can't explain what causes this on your system.

Are you willing to upgrade to 6.11.0-rc3 and try if it's the same there?

I've even now tried it on my production server where no Nvidia card is installed and it is working fine there too.

20 hours ago, ich777 said:

This is really some funky stuff and I really can't explain what causes this on your system.

Are you willing to upgrade to 6.11.0-rc3 and try if it's the same there?

I've even now tried it on my production server where no Nvidia card is installed and it is working fine there too.

Ok, So I upgraded to 6.11.0-rc3. And at first the close button almost tricked me into thinking it worked instantly but I left it alone for 5 minutes and it ran through and completed and changed from close to done. 

image.thumb.png.c1eadb52865ad6ffd94730ddb27dbb06.png

I'm going test it but it looks like upgrading the OS worked. Thank you for the help. 

• Like 1
On 8/19/2022 at 5:19 PM, ich777 said:

Without anything I can't help.

Can you please post your Diagnostics?

Will do! Sorry, forgetful last couple of days, plus was at a time when i needed the streaming start the same day, so had to jump to an older driver.

Interesting enough, now it's detected and running fine when i updated to the latest. Gonna throw in diagnostics either way if there's other issues/bugs not visible. 

tower-diagnostics-20220825-1720.zip