• Unraid OS Version 7.0.0-beta.3 available

SpencerJ
    • Minor

Thanks for your feedback! Unraid 7.0.0-beta.3 is now available on the Next branch. Everyone running -beta.2 is encouraged to upgrade

This is BETA software. Please use on test servers only.

This announce post is perfect for quick questions or comments, but if you suspect there will be back and forth for your specific issue, please start a new topic in the Prereleases board. Be sure to include your diagnostics.zip.

Upgrade steps for this release

1. Read the release notes via the Update OS-> Next -> Unraid 7.0.0-beta.3 Changelog.

Screenshot 2024-10-04 at 12.29.56 PM.png

2. As always, prior to upgrading, create a backup of your USB flash device:  "Main/Flash/Flash Device Settings" - click "Flash Backup".

3. Update all of your plugins. This is critical for the Connect, NVIDIA and Realtek plugins in particular.

4. If the system is currently running 6.12.0 - 6.12.6, we're going to suggest that you stop the array at this point. If it gets stuck on "Retry unmounting shares", open a web terminal and type:

umount /var/lib/docker

The array should now stop successfully.

5. If you have a recent release or Unraid Connect installed:

Open the dropdown in the top-right of the Unraid webgui and click Check for Update, then press More options and switch to the Next branch. You may be prompted to sign in to access the Next branch. Select the appropriate version and choose "View changelog to Start Update". More details in this blog post

6. If you don't have the Check for Update option in the upper right corner:

Either install the Unraid Connect plugin or upgrade to 6.12.10 first. Then check for updates as described above.

7. Wait for the update to download and install

8. If you have any plugins that install 3rd party drivers (NVIDIA, Realtek, etc), wait for the notification that the new version of the driver has been downloaded. 

9. Reboot

This announce post is perfect for quick questions or comments, but if you suspect there will be back and forth for your specific issue, please start a new topic in the Prereleases board. Be sure to include your diagnostics.zip.

• Like 9
    • Upvote 2

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

25 minutes ago, Revan335 said:

I mean this, sorry the Path was /mnt/user/docker

Still not sure why you are asking, but you can use any path you like, default is for new installs.

Successful update from beta2, all seems working, including docker with custom networks.

For some reason reboot ends up with "unclean shutdown detected" and new parity check, which is annoying (~ 11 hours).

Array and cache pool are both encrypted in my case.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Still not sure why you are asking, but you can use any path you like, default is for new installs.

In the Release Notes are this Entry:

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/release-notes/7.0.0/#predefined-shares-handling

"The Unraid OS Docker Manager is configured by default to use these predefined shares:

system - used to store Docker image layers in a loopback image stored in system/docker."

This is another Statement from the Points in the 6.12 Release Notes/Thread that I posted earlier.

10 hours ago, ross232 said:

Am having major problems with VMs.

First I ran into the previous issue I had whereby the system would not boot until I removed my VFIO bindings and manually created them.

Then after fixing these my VM would not start with a virtiofsd error (picture attached). After removing virtiofs from the config the VM will now start but I get no display in the VM at all - like it gets stuck.

Unraid Error.png

Updated from beta2 to beta3 without much issue either, just the same error as in the picture for my main Windows 11 VM. Had to re-create and now its working fine.

49 minutes ago, Revan335 said:

"The Unraid OS Docker Manager is configured by default to use these predefined shares:

system - used to store Docker image layers in a loopback image stored in system/docker."

Yes, and that is correct, that's the default share as mentioned above /mnt/user/system/docker

2 hours ago, asychev said:

For some reason reboot ends up with "unclean shutdown detected"

Do you mean the reboot after the update? That would still be from beta.2, in any case I would recommend creating a new post with the diagnostics to try and see what is preventing the clean shutdown.

Did the Update from beta2 to beta3, but the reboot did not work. Stucked at rebooting with 3000+ seconds at the count. After waiting that much time, powered the system off pressing the power button few secs, than startet it again. OS is now on beta3 and everything seems to work. No unclean shutdown, logs are also fine. Not sure what went wrong while rebooting nor if there still is a problem.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Yes, and that is correct, that's the default share as mentioned above /mnt/user/system/docker

OK, then it has been changed back in 7. But then we now know that from 7 it is /mnt/user/system/docker again and no longer /mnt/user/docker as it was from 6.12.x. Thanks for the Clarify!

7 minutes ago, Revan335 said:

OK, then it has been changed back in 7. But then we now know that from 7 it is /mnt/user/system/docker again and no longer /mnt/user/docker as it was from 6.12.x. Thanks for the Clarify!

As far as I know it has always been /mnt/user/system/docker even for the 6.12.x releases.    I suspect there may have been an error in the Release Notes you quoted.

16 hours ago, Revan335 said:

Is the system Share back for the Docker Path? Say the Documentation from Release Notes? /mnt/Docker was the new Default Path in 6.x with the ZFS availability.

I think you are confused by the release notes you linked. mnt/docker nor mnt/user/docker have ever been the default. The default  has always been under the system share. Nothing has changed in version 7 in this regard.

The notes you linked to make suggestions for setting your own custom docker path for when specifically using directory path instead of docker image, and when using ZFS. In that case, it's suggested to make a new path so that the docker directory is not under the system share, which is dataset when using zfs.

It's written just like this:

here is our recommendation for setting up Docker using directory:

As has been mentioned, you can make that path anything you want and put it anywhere you want.

But an additional recommendation, which supersedes that one, is in the current release notes, where it's recommended to NOT USE directory path for docker at this time, and instead use an image (which is the default).

Edited by Espressomatic
    • Featured Comment

For users updating from 6.12, there's an issue with this beta auto importing single device xfs pools after first array start, the pool(s) will appear as "not installed" and have the device unassigned, to resolve the issue:

-stop the array

-set the pool(s) slots to 0, this will remove the pool

-add the pool(s) again, with the same name(s) as before

-reassign the device to the poo(s)

-start array and the pool(s) should now import correctly

P.S. still testing, but confirmed, there is also a similar but unrelated issue importing raid1 6.12 btrfs pools (no problem if upgrading from v6.11 or earlier), for those, the array won't start with an "invalid pool config" error, solution is the same as above, just delete and recreate the pool and let Unraid re-import it, but note that for these you won't be able to set the slots to 0 to remove the pool, instead, click on the first pool device, then "remove pool", then add the pool back and re-assign the devices.

Re-importing a pool won't delete its data, it just re-imports the existing pool, this is for any kind of pool.

• Thanks 2
    15 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

There's an issue with this beta auto importing single device xfs pools after first array start, the pool(s) will appear as "not installed" and have the device unassigned, to resolve the issue:

-stop the array

-set the pool(s) slots to 0, this will remove the pool

-add the pool(s) again, with the same name(s) as before

-reassign the device to the poo(s)

-start array and the pool(s) should now import correctly

P.S. still testing, but there could also be a similar but unrelated issue importing some multi device btrfs pools, depending on how they were created, for those the array won't start with an "invalid pool config" error, solution is the same as above, just delete and recreate the pool and let Unraid re-import it, but note that for these you won't be able to set the slots to 0 to remove the pool, instead click on the first pool device, then "remove pool", then add the pool back and re-assign the devices.

For BTRFS pools, will removing and recreating the pool result in data loss, or can it import the existing data? I'd have it backed up anyway, but want to have a general idea of what kind of time commitment it might look like to recreate the pool. 

Thank you @JorgeB

6 minutes ago, rabidfibersquirrel said:

will removing and recreating the pool result in data loss

No, re-importing a pool just imports the previous existing pool, and this is the same for any kind of pool.

[Main] [I/O]
        PID USER       PRI  NI  VIRT   RES   SHR S  CPU% MEM%   TIME+ ▽Command
      16353 root        20   0  273M  5256  4232 S   1.3  0.0  6:36.58 /usr/libexec/unraid/emhttpd

# uptime
     10:29:54 up 13:35,  1 user,  load average: 0.86, 0.58, 0.51

Is there any chance to reduce the CPU usage of the WebSever?

On my server running a couple of Docker container, the is the top process (with /usr/libexec/unraid/shfs) using my cpu.

In average it is using 1% of my CPU power.

Version 7.0.0-beta.3 2024-10-04

Intel Corporation NUC12WSBi7 , Version M46422-303
    Intel Corp., Version WSADL357.0088.2023.0505.1623
    BIOS dated: Friday, 05-05-2023

12th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1260P @ 3465 MHz

---

Beside that:

I'm using gnu-screen and having some bash sessions open.

If I now want to stop the array, these sessions prevent the stop or reboot process (init via webadmin) from unmounting the drives. Could you add a kill-command for these open shells to your unmount script, to prevent this behavior?

THX.

2 hours ago, Unpack5920 said:

Could you add a kill-command for these open shells to your unmount script, to prevent this behavior?

This has been requested before.    Until/If that gets added you can use the Dynamix Stop Shell plugin to achieve what you want.

• Thanks 1

In a future release we will be adding a mechanism to upgrade your pools.

Is there a way to do this manually? 

4 minutes ago, jb350 said:

Is there a way to do this manually? 

You can do it by typing:

zpool upgrade pool_name

or 

zpool upgrade -a 

to upgrade them all, but note that if you downgrade back to v6.12 the pools won't mount.

• Thanks 1

Updated from Beta 2 to Beta 3, no issues with VM, Dockers, or anything else.

Odds things that are happening / Requests
    1. I don't seem to be able to delete snapshots for VMs.

going to VMS tab, click on the snapshot, click on 'Remove Snapshot', Proceed, I get "Image currently active for this domain."
       1.a Somehow when I create a new VM the folder was made in the base directory of the VM, meaning outside of the 'domains' folder. It was made as a share. Not sure how that happen as the actual VM was still at the right location. I recall someone mentioned something like this in this earlier in this topic.

2. Unspecific to Beta 3, but my dockers write about 1MB/10sec to the drive the dockers are stores for logs. Can we please get an option to write to RAM, which then writes to the logs ? Essentially can we have this added as a toggle-able option in the docker settings ?

3. Are we running SMB3 as default yet? I thought we were getting SMB hardening options back in v6.

15 minutes ago, JustOverride said:

Updated from Beta 2 to Beta 3, no issues with VM, Dockers, or anything else.

Odds things that are happening / Requests
    1. I don't seem to be able to delete snapshots for VMs.

going to VMS tab, click on the snapshot, click on 'Remove Snapshot', Proceed, I get "Image currently active for this domain."
       1.a Somehow when I create a new VM the folder was made in the base directory of the VM, meaning outside of the 'domains' folder. It was made as a share. Not sure how that happen as the actual VM was still at the right location. I recall someone mentioned something like this in this earlier in this topic.

2. Unspecific to Beta 3, but my dockers write about 1MB/10sec to the drive the dockers are stores for logs. Can we please get an option to write to RAM, which then writes to the logs ? Essentially can we have this added as a toggle-able option in the docker settings ?

3. Are we running SMB3 as default yet? I thought we were getting SMB hardening options back in v6.

Can you post diagnostics?

• Like 1
    51 minutes ago, jcofer555 said:

default shares not being created

You have to enable the Docker and/or VM service for the respective shares to be created.

50 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You have to enable the Docker and/or VM service for the respective shares to be created.

I've got the same problem as @jcofer555, so after a fresh install on a completely new NAS (new hardware) with Beta3, no User shares are created. Under "Global Share Settings" the "Enable User Shares" is enabled.

I can't enable Docker because it complains that these directories do not exist:

CleanShot2024-10-07at10_53.08@2x.thumb.png.f72615c1d216d82af660c99ece79ddd6.png

I've also attached my diagnostics.

videte-diagnostics-20241007-1057.zip