HowTo: Centralize Your XBMC Library with MySQL

I have to admit I'm still not 100% sure what a Plex server would do for me and I'm not sure I'd want to run modified skins in that the skins I'm using now display new features that weren't available a year ago when the skins for Plexmbc were modded. I keep hearing about folks using the Plex backend server though so I guess I'll set one up to see what the fuss is about, I'll try this addon as well, appreciate you having pointed it out as I wasn't aware of it previously!

Best to run Plex server on Windows or Linux? Any OS have great benefit over another aside from cost? I'll be doing this in an ESXi VM.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Im trying to setup mysql db on unraid server

Im using win 7 and frodo beta 2 on xbmc machines

I have setup mysql on unraid correctly..

So now is the turn for xbmc machines

I made an advancedsettings.xml and copied them to my 2 xbmc machines

Then i went into xbmc machine 1 and exported my movie and music db... Too single file

Then i wiped the library

Put the advancedsettings.xml to correct folder

Then i started up xbmc again and i am trying to import db

However, that doesnt seem to work..

Even when i point to the folder.. Its not doing anything strangely

Library stays empty

Any help appreciated!

Bit more info

Trying to import video:

The folder containing the export doesnt show me the xml file but 4 other folders like actors, movies, tvshows and musicvideos (looking in windows explorer the xml file is just there)

Trying to important music db, it does show the xml, but again here it doesnt do anything

Also on first page you can read about setting up swap file, is this neede with 4gb ram?

And, on xbmc forum you read that putting thumbs and fanart on server is not the way to go, i quote:

You only need to update the library on one device for the thumbs to show up on all of them. The thumbs do get downloaded to each XBMC device, which is how it should be since accessing them over a network can cause major slow-downs (XBMC uses a cache, sort of similar to how browsers use a cache to speed things up). XBMC stores a url in the shared video DB so that each XBMC device downloads the same image for that particular piece of art.

I am stuck at the samepoint as skank.  When I export the video database I can't get XBMC to see the .xml file.  I have the same setup as he does.

From what I read, you need only to select the folder containing the xml (you don't need to see the xml file) and hit OK.

Doesnt work :(

I gave up trying to import that database and am trying to just reload the database into the one I setup on my unraid server.  Now I am getting an access is denied to user 'xbmc'@'media-pc'.  Media-pc being the computer running xbmc.  I tried every grant privilege and grant usuage command I could find and it still doesn't work.

I gave up trying to import that database and am trying to just reload the database into the one I setup on my unraid server.  Now I am getting an access is denied to user 'xbmc'@'media-pc'.  Media-pc being the computer running xbmc.  I tried every grant privilege and grant usuage command I could find and it still doesn't work.

Yup i think. Thats the issue! Its not connecting to the mysql!

Idunno what i did wrong

you guys know the newer XBMC shares this info via uPNP......

Myk

As i said before:

Yes, in frodo youwill be able to use upnp server on your xbmc machine, if your server is another machine than your xbmc machine and you want to use the upnp thing,your xbmc machine will have to be on too, next to your unraid machine and your second xbmc machine.

So in my opinion , upnp server on xbmc is worthless..

Im not going to turn on a third machine just so the library is shared..

Only thing left is mysql on unraid... That way i wont have to turn on 3 machines, but 2 will do.

Try - but the MySQL sharing is going away very soon - so I would start looking/investigating in a UPNP server for unraid.....

Myk

you guys know the newer XBMC shares this info via uPNP......

Myk

As i said before:

Yes, in frodo youwill be able to use upnp server on your xbmc machine, if your server is another machine than your xbmc machine and you want to use the upnp thing,your xbmc machine will have to be on too, next to your unraid machine and your second xbmc machine.

So in my opinion , upnp server on xbmc is worthless..

Im not going to turn on a third machine just so the library is shared..

Only thing left is mysql on unraid... That way i wont have to turn on 3 machines, but 2 will do.

Nor do I.  I am going to try again today.  I put Openelec on my media-PC today to see if the problem was windows based, but I have my doubts that that is the problem.  I am also going to try to login as root instead of the xbmc user I made to see if that works.  If I figure anything out, I will be sure to post.

As a side question, did you change the my.cng file at all to put a bind address or did you just leave it as is?

I didn't change that either.

So no go on changing to openelec, so I think it is an unraid config rather than a windows config.  When I leave it as user 'xbmc' it says access is denied but when I put it as root it just says can not connect.  I have tried changing the IP address to the host name of 'tower' but that didn't work either.

I will try to keep troubleshooting but I am at a lose as to what to do.

could it be something in your advancesettings?  I noticed from your xbmclog over at xbmc your databases were either empty or not there.

You are talking about me right?

Yeah it gave those errors, i dunno why

When i look into my advanced settings, they are correct

I followed guide mentioned here

could it be something in your advancesettings?  I noticed from your xbmclog over at xbmc your databases were either empty or not there.

Yeah.....you are not using the <name> tag in advancesettings are you?

I think i am

Gonna look asap

I think i am

Gonna look asap

Yeah the <name> tag should not be used.  That is probably why it can not find the right database.