HowTo: Centralize Your XBMC Library with MySQL

I have a question about using both Mac and PC XBMC systems with this setup - if my library was setup on a Mac with all of my Unraid drives mounted (so their paths are something like /Volumes/MoviesHD/), will my library still work (after exporting it then reimporting it into mySQL) on a Windows or openelc XBMC box?

Thanks in advance. 

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a question about using both Mac and PC XBMC systems with this setup - if my library was setup on a Mac with all of my Unraid drives mounted (so their paths are something like /Volumes/MoviesHD/), will my library still work (after exporting it then reimporting it into mySQL) on a Windows or openelc XBMC box?

Thanks in advance.

HI,

I don't think so

you will need to use a platform which can be read by all...

i use samba

you can protect things though as xbmc allows you to add network passwords ....

i even put my playlists and sources xml files on my unraid with path substitution so all xbmc instances use the same sources and olaylists ...  easier that way only 1 file to change ... :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have setup MySQL, and put the advancedsettings.xml file onto my OpenElec box.

When I go to add my video source, the source appears to add, but it doesn't scrape anything.  I can go to the files and see the contents of my data source, but nothing gets scraped.

What could the issue be?

Did you try @CHBMB solution and create a an autostart.sh in smb://YOUR XBMC IP ADDRESS/configfiles/?  I was having trouble with an openelec gotham that boots too fast off a usb3 stick and this fixed it.

#!/bin/sh
ifconfig eth0 up
ifconfig eth0 PUT XBMC MACHINE IP ADDRESS HERE
route add default gw PUT ROUTER IP ADDRESS HERE

I have setup MySQL, and put the advancedsettings.xml file onto my OpenElec box.

When I go to add my video source, the source appears to add, but it doesn't scrape anything.  I can go to the files and see the contents of my data source, but nothing gets scraped.

What could the issue be?

sources i..e the things that XBMC scrapes are not stored in mysql but in the sources.xml file

• 2 months later...

I see a lot of people saying mysql shouldn't be installed in usb drive.  I just used the mysql plugin, and don't know where it installed mysql.  Since I had an earlier post of thumbnails not showing up, will someone share how to check where mysql is installed?  What is the command that should be issued?  I'd like to check.

Hello. 

I've followed the installation step by step.  What follows is I don't have thumbnails on my TV even if I've deleted the sources, and re-scraped everything.  Newly added shows have the fanart and posters.  Old shows that are already existing on the folder are not shown with fanart and posters.  I'm using windows 7 64-bit.  On the other hand, another streamer is using Openelec, and thumbnails are all ok.  Watched/ resume status is functioning well.  How do I troubleshoot this? 

• 4 weeks later...

sounds like a problem with your advancedsettings.xml files on one of the systems. Can you confirm those are configured as per the original post?

the '75' at the end of the database name, is put there automatically, and doesnt need to be specified in the settings file

Ive a feeling you've got one set to <name>MyVideos</name> (which is fine) and another set to <name>MyVideos75</name> or the like

Steps I did to isolate:

1. Made sure both XBMC machines share the same advancedsettings.xml, without <name>XXXX</name> on the xml file.

2. Deleted mysql database, all those unwanted ones, e.g. MyVideos75, MyVideos7578, etc.

3. Restarted XBMC (Frodo, Openelec), MyVideos75 was instantly created.

4. Powered on my Windows 7 XBMC (Gotham), MyVideos78 was instantly created.

Please help.

Steps I did to isolate:

1. Made sure both XBMC machines share the same advancedsettings.xml, without <name>XXXX</name> on the xml file.

2. Deleted mysql database, all those unwanted ones, e.g. MyVideos75, MyVideos7578, etc.

3. Restarted XBMC (Frodo, Openelec), MyVideos75 was instantly created.

4. Powered on my Windows 7 XBMC (Gotham), MyVideos78 was instantly created.

Please help.

Can you post what your advancesettings.xml contains for all instances of XBMC that you are running?  Also another thing is that if you want to share the mysql database between all XBMC instances then they all need to be on the same version or a version that runs the same database number.  See here.  In other words, you won't be able to share the database between Gotham and Frodo.

Yep, thats the issue alright

the number at the end is a versioning number afaik. So different versions of xbmc create different databases, with an incremented number appended

You're gonna need to get all instances to the same version of xbmc Im afraid

<advancedsettings>

<videodatabase>

<type>mysql</type>

<host>192.168.1.103</host>

<port>3306</port>

<user>xbmc</user>

<pass>xbmc</pass>

</videodatabase>

<musicdatabase>

<type>mysql</type>

<host>192.168.1.103</host>

<port>3306</port>

<user>xbmc</user>

<pass>xbmc</pass>

</musicdatabase>

</advancedsettings>

But I guess it's pretty useless now :-)  Thanks for the diagnosis guys.

You probably spotted it, and makes diagnosing a confusing at first, but when you started up the Gotham version, I believe it copies the *75 database to *78. So had you scraped in stuff on your openelec box, those would have appeared in your gotham box (ie you library would be populated the same as your openelec one). That would have been the one and only sync though, as from then on, they would use their own databases

• 7 months later...