Udma crc error count

Kjetil

Hello everyone

I had an error showing up, saying "umma cry error count". So I decided to take the disc showing this error out of the server, and format it.

Writing over it completely, once.

Disc is ok. So I want to add it to the unraid again, and rebuild it. When I add it and start the unraid, I get a message saying that I got 1 unmountable disc (in this case disc 22). I get the choice to format this disc. And a message saying "A format is NEVER part of a data recovery or disc rebuild process".

Have I done something stupid when I removed the disc and formatted it (using a Mac mini) ? 

What is the correct way to rebuild the unraid now ? Parity is valid.

Hoping someone who is deep into unraid can help me do this rebuild the correct way.

Kind regards, Kjetil

Screenshot 2021-11-05 at 09.24.43.png

Screenshot 2021-12-17 at 19.58.32.png

Hello.

Thanks for the help.

I did not go thru the Format unmountable disks. 

So in my mind when I formatted the disk I thought it would be the same as exchanging it for a new disk.

Just to be sure I don't do any more mistakes, how do I correctly unassigned the disk ?

I have another slot available, should I move the disc to a new slot (if there is connection problems to it) ?

The reason it is unmountable is because you formatted it outside the array. If you had formatted the disk in the array then parity would have been updated to agree the disk was formatted, and so only a formatted disk could be rebuilt. But since you didn't format it in the array, parity should be able to emulate the contents for rebuild.

4 hours ago, Kjetil said:

how do I correctly unassigned the disk

When you stop the array, you will be able to select no disk for that assignment.

17 hours ago, trurl said:

Stop the array, unassign the disk, start the array with the disk unassigned. That will disable the disk and hopefully the emulated filesystem will be mountable.

After that post a new screenshot and diagnostics.

2 minutes ago, Kjetil said:

But can I not format it again inside the array ? As a new disc ? Preclear or what its called

Not much point as the rebuild process would overwrite every sector on the disk thus destroying the result of a format  or clear if done outside the array.  If done with the disk IN the array you would end up erasing all its contents with no way to recover the data.

Follow the advice from @trurl for the next steps to take.

Just now, Kjetil said:

But can I not format it again inside the array ? As a new disc ? Preclear or what its called ?

We have already explained that if you format the disk in the array the only thing you will be able to rebuild is a formatted disk. A formatted disk is empty.

You don't need a clear or formatted disk to rebuild to. Rebuild will completely overwrite every bit of the disk regardless of what is already on the disk.

18 hours ago, trurl said:

Stop the array, unassign the disk, start the array with the disk unassigned. That will disable the disk and hopefully the emulated filesystem will be mountable.

When you start the array with the disk unassigned, Unraid will emulate the disk from parity. The emulated contents are exactly what will be rebuilt. 

18 hours ago, trurl said:

After that post a new screenshot and diagnostics.

Then we can see if the emulated disk is mountable. If it is we can proceed with rebuild. If not, we can try to repair the emulated filesystem before rebuilding.

Either way, after that any disk you assign there will be considered "new" and when you start the array the rebuild will begin.