New Unraid Server is not reachable after a few hours...

LeoT

Hey everyone,

My Xpenology NAS recently had some failures and randomly lost multiple drives... Pretty bad considering the 20+ TB data stored on the RAID5...

Nevertheless, I got it working again and immediately made an 1:1 data copy on external drives for backup.

The server had old hardware in it and needed to be refreshed anyway, so I built a new one.

I decided to go with another OS (Unraid), that's hopefully much more reliable than my Xpenology somewhat DSM version of crap... 

That's my new Unraid server hardware:

(The NAS is only meant to be for file transfers. Nothing fancy, using media transcoding or whatever)

Mainboard: MSI B560M-A PRO

CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-10105

RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4 3200MHz (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)

PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 11 (500 W)

Networking: Intel Corporation 82599ES 10-Gigabit SFI/SFP+

SATA controller: 2x ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller

Parity: 1x Seagate IronWolf (6 TB, 3.5", CMR)

Disks: 10x Seagate IronWolf (4 TB, 3.5", CMR)

Cache: Samsung 970 EVO plus 2 TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280)

OS Drive: SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB Flash-Drive 16 GB, USB 2.0

I flashed the latest Unraid Release 6.9.2 onto the SanDisk with "Allow UEFI Boot" enabled and set a static IP.

At first, it wouldn't boot into Unraid. Nevertheless, after disabling "Fast Boot" in the boot menu, it did.

I ran an BIOS update to the latest version as well. 

All hardware devices and drives got recognized by Unraid and I created the array as stated above. After clicking on "Start" Unraid began with Parity-Sync. Estimated finish: 1 day, 4 hours, 56 minutes...

Nothing suspicious, right?!

Well...

I logged myself out of the web GUI and went to sleep.

Next morning I tried to look at the progress it made, but nothing. The NAS is just gone from the network. 

I tried everything reaching it, but it's just gone.

Well, my last option then was to shut down the server by hand. After reboot, the OS booted just fine, presenting its web GUI just a few seconds after that.

A message popped up saying: 

Notice [LT-VIDEOGRAPHY] - Parity sync / Data rebuild finished (0 errors)

Duration: 8 hours, 12 minutes, 43 seconds. Average speed: nan B/s

It seems like it did something. However, the array does not exist... I'm presented with the same array setup screen I saw right after the first boot up of Unraid. Further, it does not seem logical that Unraid predicts its estimated finish with more than 24h, and it seems to have done it in 8h?!

Am I right?!

I urgently need help fixing this. I went through the described process three times now, and it's always the same...

FYI, booting Unraid with its onboard GUI option did not show anything on screen... Just a blinking bar in the upper left corner. Same issue as described here, that I couldn't solve. (https://forums.unraid.net/topic/73512-unable-to-boot-into-gui-mode/

The server is reachable within an hour easily, that's all I know so far. Maybe it goes offline after that 8h mark. 

Thanks a lot in advance and stay safe!

Best,

Leo

Edited by LeoT
Forgot something important.

20 minutes ago, LeoT said:

i3-10105

Another user somewhere had pretty much the identical symptoms and setting the TDP limits in the BIOS appropriately (probably 65W) instead of how your motherboard has them set as an implied overclock (ie: the board most likely has the TDP set to be unlimited or 4kW) fixed this for them.

See https://forums.unraid.net/topic/100360-z490-multi-core-enhancement/?tab=comments#comment-926134 for the games that motherboard manufacturers are playing.

It also never hurts to run a memtest

18 minutes ago, Squid said:

setting the TDP limits in the BIOS appropriately (probably 65W)

Thank you! Unfortunately, it was set to "auto" which meant 65W in my case. I set it to 65W manually now.  

1730874835_BIOS1.thumb.jpg.e48b5e3ddcbb190b2f4c90a1e65e4b9b.jpg

Another thing I noticed was, that the RAM frequency was wrong. The motherboard auto-detected it as 2133MHz DDR4, while it is 3200MHz DDDR4.

I corrected that as well. Could this be the issue?!

24 minutes ago, Squid said:

It also never hurts to run a memtest

Memtest never worked during my testing. I just tested it again using the new frequency settings.

The screen gets black and the motherbaord reboots after a few seconds...

3 minutes ago, LeoT said:

The motherboard auto-detected it as 2133MHz DDR4, while it is 3200MHz DDDR4.

The board is 100% correct.  RAM manufacturers always quote overclocked speeds on their RAM (which is what XMP is).  Your RAM is actually 2133 which if you enable XMP gets overclocked to 3200.  It's a complete BS marketing tool and unfortunately most motherboards have XMP enabled by default because they assume that everyone wants to run RAM at an overclock instead of the speed where it's most stable, and the memory manufacturers also assume the exact same thing.  That speed is more important to any random customer than stability.

On the plus side, I absolutely love Corsair because they are one of the very few memory manufacturers where they do also quote in the tech specs what speed the memory actually is (SPD speed) 

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categories/Products/Memory/VENGEANCE-LPX/p/CMK16GX4M2B3200C16#tab-tech-specs

10 minutes ago, Squid said:

The board is 100% correct. 

Thanks! Good to know.

Do you have any other idea? Everything is now set as before.
TDP was set to "auto" which already meant 65W before... And I returned RAM frequency to "auto".

Shouldn't boot in GUI Mode and Memtest work flawlessly?

Edited by LeoT

A little UPDATE on my issue:

Yesterday, I set the TDP settings from "auto" to "65W" by hand, even though it seemed to already have been set to 65W by "auto".

Well, I thought this couldn't be the problem solver, but unfortunately it seems to have fixed it. 

I woke up this morning and the server is running just fine. It did not disappear from the network and is reachable via the web GUI. 

Parity-Sync is still running, but already passed that *magical* 8 hour mark it was stopping before...

1748103517_Bildschirmfoto2022-02-12um10_56_15.thumb.png.9f1a9681dd6a6fa2510bf421b7a1b9f3.png

I'll come back and leave my initial report soon, but I don't think something can go wrong now...

Apart from the TDP change, I also left a monitor connected to the motherboard... But this can't be another key to the fix, right @Squid?! 

Thanks a lot for you all help!