20TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro

Go to solution Solved by Jeffrey Teague,

Seagate IronWolf Pro 20TB NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD – CMR 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache for RAID Network Attached Storage, Rescue Services (ST20000NEZ00)

I am having issue with unraid seeing the drive. I have tried more then one in the array.

It doesnt show in the dropdown list as being an option.

I am using Unraid 6.10.3 Stable.

Does unraid support this drive?

What are some troubleshooting steps I can try to get this working?

Edited by Jeffrey Teague
19 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Please post the diagnostics

attached

18 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

There is no 'support' for specific drives. It should just work.

How is the drive connected ?

Is it possible that it is disabled by the 3.3V pin ?

Drive are connected through PCIe LSI Logic SAS 9207-8i Storage Controller LSI00301

Motherboard is : Intel Corporation DX79SI , Version AAG28808-600, Intel Corp., Version SIX7910J.86A.0650.2014.0307.0138

tower-diagnostics-20220917-2226.zip

19 hours ago, JorgeB said:

LSISAS2308: FWVersion(15.00.00.00)

This is old, update to latest (20.00.07.00).

did you see the FWVersion int he diagnostic somewhere?

I am worried on going this path as I only have the one card and it was expensive, I dont want to mess up anything by upgrading the firmware and then no longer being able to access data or do it wrong and have to buy a new card.

5 hours ago, ChatNoir said:

Yes.

Sep 17 00:01:49 Tower kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: LSISAS2308: FWVersion(15.00.00.00), ChipRevision(0x05), BiosVersion(07.29.00.00)

2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Upgrading the LSI firmware is easy and pretty safe.

Do you think upgrading my firmware is the solution here? Do you feel as though the 20TB drive is not showing up due to firmware fix?

OR

Is this a step in the direction as to help determine next steps?

I want to return the drives in the return window if I need to get smaller drives. Do you know the max drive size my system could support? Or where I can find this information?

Edited by Jeffrey Teague
spelling
13 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Firmware is a possibility, since the disk is pretty new, also you should do it anyway, so nothing to lose, if it doesn't help you can try other things, you can also try connecting the disk to the onboard SATA if it's available, that would also confirm if the disk/HBA combo is the problem.

upgraded firmware and bios.

drive still does not show.

Attaching new diagnostics.

tower-diagnostics-20220919-2040.zip

4 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Connect the disk to one of the onboard SATA ports and see if it's detected by the board BIOS, also make sure the disk is not affected by the 3.3v issue, that's mostly for WD/HGST disks but since it's a new model you never know, so use a molex to SATA adapter just in case.

what is the v3.3 issue?

I have attempted direct boot to motherboard sata and I dont see it in the bios.

How do I know how large of drive my system will support?

21 minutes ago, Jeffrey Teague said:

what is the v3.3 issue?

See here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/73717-solutions-shucked-wd-8tb-easystore-33v-pin-issue/

Problem is that one of the pins in the original SATA spec was reassigned to be a drive reset signal line (Not sure by whom or why..) from being a 3.3V supply pin and the drive would reset when the voltage on that pin reached a logical '1' which 3.3V is.   The normal SATA power supply connector has 3.3V on that pin!   The problem usually occurs with Shucked Drives as the manufacturers tend to use excess inventory hard drives in those USB devices to move them out of their inventory.  (The drives with 3.3V reset pin are very difficult to sell in the normal market channels!)

PS---  I have never heard of a storage drive packaged in a SATA configuration that required 3.3V to operate.  This whole thing seems to be one of those situations where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing...

PPS---  I have no clue as to why a reset pin would be needed on a hard drive...

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2022 at 3:04 PM, Frank1940 said:

(The drives with 3.3V reset pin are very difficult to sell in the normal market channels!)

PS---  I have never heard of a storage drive packaged in a SATA configuration that required 3.3V to operate.  This whole thing seems to be one of those situations where the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing...

PPS---  I have no clue as to why a reset pin would be needed on a hard drive...

It's not "needed" per se or a confused situation, it's done on purpose on external drives precisely to discourage shucking. 

Edited by Kilrah