Anyway to Verify UnRaid OS?

Hey guys!

I had a scare earlier this year, when my server kep't crashing.  When I was doing through mountans of troubleshooting, I attempted to reset my OS on the Flash Drive.  I think it perhaps has lead to issues now?

Over the last couple of weeks, I've noticed my server acting... for lack of a better word, strange.  Slow, and I recently attempted to upgrade it with another disk... which hasn't worked.  Even now, I reset the server, and its doing a Parity Check (Even though it was a clean shutdown), and its stuck paused.

Even when I attempt to Stop the Array, it takes Forever to execute the command, and stop the array.  Same with Reboot or Shutdown

Any ideas?  I have asked in the past if there is any way to verify OS files, and no-one has answered that question.  It feels like a classic OS error.

Here is the prior thread:

swiftserver-syslog-20221025-0207.zip

I don't understand my server.

I changed a bit of the physical config, and now its purring better then ever.

The only other issue I'm having is trying to add a Disk 8.  When I add the disk, and start the array, it sort of just doesn't do anything.  The last time I added a disk about a year or maybe two ago, it prompted me for permission to format the disk, then just added it to the array.  Has that changed?

44 minutes ago, nexusjosh said:

I don't understand my server.

I changed a bit of the physical config, and now its purring better then ever.

The only other issue I'm having is trying to add a Disk 8.  When I add the disk, and start the array, it sort of just doesn't do anything.  The last time I added a disk about a year or maybe two ago, it prompted me for permission to format the disk, then just added it to the array.  Has that changed?

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread so we can see what is going on.

8 hours ago, itimpi said:

You are likely to get better informed feedback if you attach your system’s diagnostics zip file to your next post in this thread so we can see what is going on.

Three posts up from yours, I attached it.

@Arbadacarba Yes, that is possible.  The question would be: What was causing the extremely long shutdown.  If my server starts acting up again, I'll post here.  I'll leave this thread up for a few days, before marking it as Solved.

Edited by nexusjosh

When I had a similar situation, I ran the experiment of comparing Array Stopping Times with the VM engine shut down and with the Docker engine shut down.

Turned out in my case that the pfsense VM was not shutting down...

I solved the same issue on a proxmox server by installing the QEMU Guest Agent. And have done so on most of my VM's to facilitate better integration for shutdowns etc.

19 hours ago, Arbadacarba said:

When I had a similar situation, I ran the experiment of comparing Array Stopping Times with the VM engine shut down and with the Docker engine shut down.

Turned out in my case that the pfsense VM was not shutting down...

I solved the same issue on a proxmox server by installing the QEMU Guest Agent. And have done so on most of my VM's to facilitate better integration for shutdowns etc.

A good idea.  But when I shut down my array, I always manually shut down all of my docker containers and VM's, then shut down the array, then shutdown, or restart UnRaid.

Right now I have one windows VM, and 2 Dockers, one being Plex, and the other being Lancache.

Edited by nexusjosh