[Support] devzwf - Proxmox Backup Server Dockerfiles

[EDIT]  I was able to correct this by simply replacing the old datastore.cfg in place of the new one.

I had a weird 403 error in the webui for this container and couldn't solve it.  I redownloaded the container and have it running again, but it says it can't write a chunks directory.  How do I add an existing datastore I guess is my question.  Many thanks for any help

image.png.83e63fa8220d3e450d2a0c151829d598.png

[NEW]

If anyone has this running with nginx, I could use a sample conf file.  I have been trying today with little success.

Edited by danktankk
corrected error
  • 2 weeks later...

Unraid is running with the correct time:

root@unraid:~# date
Wed May 31 08:33:39 CEST 2023

PBS is configured with my the correct timezone Europe/Berlin but has ~2h offset:

# date +%Z
Berlin
# date
Wed May 31 06:37:35 Berlin 2023

Long story short: How can I set the correct time in the PBS-container?

I tried also to set the time manually:

# date 0531082723.00
date: cannot set date: Operation not permitted
Wed May 31 08:27:00 Berlin 2023

Due to the fact that there is no ntpdate or similar installed in the docker, I have no idea how to set the time correctly.

For a hint I would be very grateful!

• 2 months later...

After trying out this container for the first time, I have noticed that a log file syslog-127.0.0.1.log has appeared in the user/system share. 

Includes things like 

ug 14 22:16:34 unraid1 proxmox-backup-api[10]: service is ready
Aug 14 22:16:34 unraid1 proxmox-backup-proxy[49]: service is ready
Aug 14 22:16:34 unraid1 proxmox-backup-proxy[49]: applied rrd journal (2 entries in 0.002 seconds)
Aug 14 22:16:34 unraid1 proxmox-backup-proxy[49]: write rrd data back to disk
Aug 14 22:16:34 unraid1 proxmox-backup-proxy[49]: starting rrd data sync
Aug 14 22:16:34 unraid1 proxmox-backup-proxy[49]: rrd journal successfully committed (0 files in 0.000 seconds)

Where does this come from and how can I move it? I have not had other containers write logs to this share. As it is on the array, the drives also keep spinning up.

---------------------

I am also getting this warning on creation due to the --memory=2g. Is it an 'ignore' kind of error?

Edit found the answer: https://forums.unraid.net/topic/139578-your-kernel-does-not-support-swap-limit-capabilities-or-the-cgroup-is-not-mounted-memory-limited-without-swap/

--restart unless-stopped
  --memory=2g
  --mount type=tmpfs,destination=/run 'ayufan/proxmox-backup-server:v2.3.2'
WARNING: Your kernel does not support swap limit capabilities or the cgroup is not mounted. Memory limited without swap.

Edited by Presjar
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 4:21 PM, UnBeastRaid said:

I have done this from the beginning, however, the proxmox gui still shows only 107gb total storage.  

CleanShot 2023-03-29 at 12.19.44.png

exactly the same behaviour here.

Did you solve this?
I created a new share on an hdd I use for backups and put the path in like you do but no backups go into this folder.
Looks like they still default to the docker.img!! ) as the size shows this.

Frustrating.

I seem to be having a permissions issue -- all files/folders on the share I use for the data storage need to have UID / GID of 34 / 34 else I get permissions errors when I back up.

image.png.ed9558f880a86804144ff6976577659c.png

On the above example, where I manually chmodded the directory for VM3007 to nobody/users, the backup fails with

ERROR: Backup of VM 3007 failed - VM 3007 qmp command 'backup' failed - backup connect failed: command error: Permission denied (os error 13) 

This does not impede the functionality of PBS itself, however trying to access these files from other containers (e.g. duplicati) to do a backup means the files are not readable.

I've tried adding PUID / PGID options to the container, doesn't seem to help. Is there a way to make PBS run as nobody/users?

docker run
  -d
  --name='proxmox-backup-server'
  --net='host'
  -e TZ="Europe/Berlin"
  -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
  -e HOST_HOSTNAME="unraid"
  -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="proxmox-backup-server"
  -e 'TZ'='Europe/Zurich'
  -e 'PUID'='99'
  -e 'PGID'='100'
  -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman
  -l net.unraid.docker.webui='https://[IP]:[PORT:8007]'
  -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/devzwf/unraid-docker-templates/main/images/pbs-logo.jpg'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/pbs/etc':'/etc/proxmox-backup':'rw'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/pbs/logs':'/var/log/proxmox-backup':'rw'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/pbs/lib':'/var/lib/proxmox-backup':'rw'
  -v '/mnt/user/PBS/':'/backups':'rw'
  --restart unless-stopped
  --memory=2g
  --mount type=tmpfs,destination=/run 'ayufan/proxmox-backup-server:v2.3.2'

Any help is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, ZappyZap said:

i am not the maintainer of the container., just made the template and  testing on unraid
but as i talk to him, it seems to be a nice chunk of work to port the v3
please post on the github.

Thanks

So simply switching the tag from 2.3.2 to latest or 3.0.2 for the repository will not result in a working setup i guess?

I'm just planning to upgrade my 7.4 cluster to 8 and thought about updating pbs as well, as i'm unsure whether the new pve version will work with the older pbs server

28 minutes ago, WoRie said:

So simply switching the tag from 2.3.2 to latest or 3.0.2 for the repository will not result in a working setup i guess?

I'm just planning to upgrade my 7.4 cluster to 8 and thought about updating pbs as well, as i'm unsure whether the new pve version will work with the older pbs server

OMG i miss this update....
i will need to test this unless you want to be the "ginnypig" :)

40 minutes ago, ZappyZap said:

OMG i miss this update....
i will need to test this unless you want to be the "ginnypig" :)

For what it's worth, I'm using PBS 2.3-3 (the unraid container) with Proxmox 8.04 and it's working fine (everything verifies). I'm also syncing the same PBS 2.3 to PBS 3.0 offsite, again no visible issues.

4 minutes ago, multilateral-hole4416 said:

Hi,

Congrats on the amazing container.

Any idea on how to use the non-subscription repositories to get the updates and upgrades?

Also, the shell is not working, I think this is normal because it is running in a container, isn't it?

Tks in advance.

The core features should work, but there are ones do not work due to container architecture:

• ZFS: it is not installed in a container
  • Shell: since the PVE (not PAM) authentication is being used, and since the shell access does not make sense in an ephemeral container environment
  • PAM authentication: since containers are by definition ephemeral and no /etc/ configs are being persisted

Note: it is not my container, i just interface it to unraid via template. ;)

Edited by ZappyZap
  • Like 1
On 10/14/2023 at 1:00 PM, multilateral-hole4416 said:

Hi,

Congrats on the amazing container.

Any idea on how to use the non-subscription repositories to get the updates and upgrades?

Also, the shell is not working, I think this is normal because it is running in a container, isn't it?

Tks in advance.

I would also like to know how to enable the non-subscription repositories. Is it because I am logged in as admin instead of root? without shell I cannot use sudo.

Again, great work building the UNRAID plugin, and thanks to the docker creator. this is a great idea.

On 10/20/2023 at 1:22 PM, graphius said:

I would also like to know how to enable the non-subscription repositories. Is it because I am logged in as admin instead of root? without shell I cannot use sudo.

Again, great work building the UNRAID plugin, and thanks to the docker creator. this is a great idea.

You need to attach terminal and first get two packages that are missing - wget and either vi/vim/nano whatever you preffer.

Then add repositories as per Installation — Proxmox Backup 3.0.3-1 documentation and remove enterprise

Once you've got those added you can simply apt update && apt dist-upgrade and restart container

On 10/20/2023 at 4:22 AM, graphius said:

Steps that seem to have worked for me:

1. On Docker tab, click Proxmox-Backup-Server and click Console
    apt install wget nano

4. nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pbs-no-subscription.list
  5. edit file to include: 
    deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pbs bookworm pbs-no-subscription

# security updates
    deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bookworm-security main contrib

(not sure if security updates is a duplicate. I just copied from https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/installation.html#proxmox-backup-no-subscription-repository)

7. apt update && apt upgrade

I had the same -- for me it was a permissions issue. If you open a terminal on Unraid and go to the unraid path pointed to by 

INFO: Error: update atime failed for chunk/file "/backups/.chunks/dccd/dccd339d0287e4ff15fb1325f650a9db701327824863148fce4e4b483abc8fe6" - EPERM: Operation not permitted

you will likely see that the permissions are nobody:users (like the usual ones in unraid) and they should be (in my case) 34:34 or whatever the other files are.

chown 34:34 dccd339d0287e4ff15fb1325f650a9db701327824863148fce4e4b483abc8fe6

will fix it.

I have no idea why this suddenly happened on (apparently) only one chunk.

Edited by ax42

Thanks for the fast reply and the hint.

Can you please tell me how to change the permissions? I don´t get it with that 34:34 thing.

That´s was the unraid terminal shows when is look at the folder that produces the error

root@unraid:/mnt/user0/backups/pbs/.chunks/dccd# ls -la
total 2300
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users      86 Apr 15  2023 ./
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 1069056 Apr 15  2023 ../
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users  223004 Apr 15  2023 dccd339d0287e4ff15fb1325f650a9db701327824863148fce4e4b483abc8fe6

Thanks a lot