How to run Krusader in root mode

How do you run Krusader in root mode?

I tried the option below and entered in my root password, but I was informed it was the wrong password. Thinking it was a typo, I tried again but enabled the option to display the password. I confirmed my password was correct, yet once again I was told my password was wrong.

It said something about a WHEEL group was well.

UnraidKrusader.JPG

Thanks for the link but I could not find anything there that seemed to address my problem as thread goes off into so many directions.

And I have no option for user, nor is there one defined as nobody or root.

There is an option to run as root, and it is set to True.

Edited by Vetteman
6 hours ago, Vetteman said:

Thanks for the link but I could not find anything there that seemed to address my problem as thread goes off into so many directions.

Are you running binhex-kruader?  If so, did you change these parameters as I suggested in the link provided?

image.thumb.png.61091f5ee8f954c7fb605f829ad2885b.png

That seems to force the process to run with root privileges (for me at least).  By the way, this plugin is setup to a file manager for only the Unraid array (that is why the PUID and GUID defaulted to the nobody/users numbers)--- Not the entire Linux OS if that is what you are trying to make it be.  

Edited by Frank1940

I was using the non binhex-krussader, so I removed and installed the binhex version.

i did find the settings for PUID and PGID and changed to 0.

But it still seems like it will not go into root mode.

I am trying to edit file DockerClient.php in "/usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.docker.manager/include/"

I can go to the folder using terminal.

However using Krusdar or Binhex Krusader, I can not past /usr/local as emhttp is not display and I do have hidden folders turned on in binhex/Krusader.

So I am assuming I am not running in root mode. I also tried under Tooks-->Start Root Mode Krusader and it still does not display the emhttp folder.

I also tried entering the path in binHex/Krusader "/usr/local/emhttp" and I am told emhttp does not exist. 

PS: I was able to edit "DockerClient.php" via terminal but I was told using Krusader would be easier. 

Edited by Vetteman

I just check using my binhex-krusader and I think I know the reason why.  When I went to in Krusader to /usr/loxal, I got this:

image.png.7f8fcabd18b16489355747691d58a3e5.png

And when I used the GUI terminal and did a listing of the files with it, I go this:

image.png.f3c501e5f875dc51f201268ce5fe6928.png

Notice that Krusader is missing   emhttp  directory and The GUI terminal is missing the  games   directory!   What krusader is showing is file structure for the Linux system that is running in the Docker container.  Here is what the root of Krusader Docker looks like:

image.png.6f808a10a0afae82b19011cf8f90981f.png

The two designated directories are actually the mount points for the file system on the Host system (Unraid OS)  that the Docker is running on.  Here is the command that mounts the  media directory (second one marked) onto the Krusader file system:

image.png.12ef418153751ee91cf89eff12af2435.png

IF I remember correctly, this originally was   /mnt/user   but I also want access to the Disk Shares so I modified it.  I added the  Flash (first one marked)on because I want quick access to the Flash Drive because I often need a quick look at the boot drive contents when assisting on the forum.

You should now have enough information to mount the entire Unraid OS as a directory on the binhex-krusader by adding another Host Path.

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, trurl said:

Did you create a mapping to / 

(root) ?

@Vetteman, What @trurl is trying to say ( and this is confusing),   the root of the file system is the       Directory (a single forward slash).  There is directory   /root     that is the home directory for the user 'root' (Superuser for Unraid) and this directory contains setup configuration for that user.  You appear to have map a host path to it. 

1 hour ago, Vetteman said:

UnRaid00.JPG

Open up a GUI Terminal [the     >_   icon on the taskbar] and enter the following three commands:

ls al /

ls -al /root

ls -al /mnt

Notice that the third one has the entries as your Host Path 2:  and the Container Path named '/Media' is mapped to   /mnt  on the Unraid file system.  Realize that the Docker container for Krusader is a Linux VM and you can map out of that VM to the Unraid OS file system.  (If you didn't map out of the Docker container, you would not be permitted to see anything on the Unraid file system!!!)   

IF you want to have the root directory of Unraid available to Krusader, you  have  to setup a new Host Path XX:  that is mapped to  Then you will see what is displayed in the first of those three commands.  (You have just had a crash course intro to Linux.  And you are probably completely confused at this point...)    😏  🙄

1 minute ago, trurl said:

I still think this is a bad idea

I do agree with you.  I only setup 'root' user in Krusader  a few years back because I wanted access to the boot drive.   Krusader can be accessed from the outside a bit too easily and have everything that wide open is not a good idea!  If you have set up root privileges in Krusader be sure to start it to use and stop it when done!

To be perfectly honest with everyone, I seldom use Krusader any more!  I  now use Dynamix file manager plugin.  All of my Unraid shares are Private and read-only.  So Windows Explorer is not an option for file management.  Plus, Dynamix tells on what disk each file is when I am looking at User Shares and that can be a big help at times.

The only reason I wanted to use Krusader, it was recommended to use Krusader if you did not want to use a text editor like nano or vi as the config file I was editing have over 200 lines in it. I

I've used nano and vi in past for small config files fstab or samb but not for a config file with over 200 lines. I was told Krusader has a built in gui text editor.

Edited by Vetteman