[Plugin] Tailscale

Hi @EDACerton

Nice plugin, working well so far.

I'm having trouble with one thing. How can I access docker containers on br0 network? For example:

Tailscale IP: 10.100.55.44 resolves to my Unraid web UI (192.168.168.3 internally)

qBittorrent local IP is 192.168.168.5, how do I access this over Tailscale?

I have "Host access to custom networks" turned on. Is this even related?

Thanks!

53 minutes ago, jayw1 said:

Hi @EDACerton

Nice plugin, working well so far.

I'm having trouble with one thing. How can I access docker containers on br0 network? For example:

Tailscale IP: 10.100.55.44 resolves to my Unraid web UI (192.168.168.3 internally)

qBittorrent local IP is 192.168.168.5, how do I access this over Tailscale?

I have "Host access to custom networks" turned on. Is this even related?

Thanks!

Generally, you'll want to use a combination of "host access to custom networks" and advertising a subnet route (see the last few posts in this thread for an example).

Personally, I would prefer running a Tailscale sidecar in Docker for any br0 containers, but that's a more complicated setup.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

EDIT: Fixed. the problem was that i only routed the host ip "192.168.1.177/32" and did not route the internal app ip "172.21.0.0/16". no need to enable host access to custom network

basically the new command will be something like this, change the ips to whatever you're using, and if you're not using magic dns, just set it to false

tailscale up --advertise-routes=192.168.1.177/32,172.21.0.0/16 --accept-dns=true

i just installed the plugin and it works really great. one problem though, for some reason after tailscale up, sonarr will be able to send download commands to qBittorrent but cannot actually get anything back from the torrent client (can't monitor the download status or see it at all). as soon as i run tailscale down, everything works perfectly

all my containers are on a custom network.

i used this command:  tailscale up --advertise-routes=192.168.1.177/32

route already approved and working

should i enable host access to custom networks or is it something else ?

tower-diagnostics-20230906-1528.zip

Tower-tailscale-diag-20230906-153452.zip

Edited by sohailoo

Since installing the Tailscale plugin, I have been unable to access my server via the local IP address.  I recently transitioned from the docker Tailscale Additionally, I have had to manually specify my DNS servers so that the server can resolve public domains (like google.com).  I am hesitant to uninstall the plugin because I am afraid that I will not be able to access the server if I do so.  I have attached the diagnostic file. Thanks for your help!

Tower-tailscale-diag-20230913-192934.zip

2 hours ago, OHH_HEY-Thomas said:

Since installing the Tailscale plugin, I have been unable to access my server via the local IP address.  I recently transitioned from the docker Tailscale Additionally, I have had to manually specify my DNS servers so that the server can resolve public domains (like google.com).  I am hesitant to uninstall the plugin because I am afraid that I will not be able to access the server if I do so.  I have attached the diagnostic file. Thanks for your help!

Tower-tailscale-diag-20230913-192934.zip 180.79 kB · 0 downloads

I would start by turning "Use Tailscale subnets" and "Use Tailscale DNS settings" off in your config.

Most installs don't need them, and in some networks turning them on can result in the behavior that you've described.

Just came here to say - I’ve been trying to get silly shares available over Tailscale for a few days. My understanding was it “just worked”. Never the less my experience has been frustrating and admittedly somehow likely to be self inflicted. 

Just wanted to say thanks - some combination of changing “NTLM” group policy in Windows along with advice in this thread about turning netbios OFF and some specific SMB extra configuration(seen below) info I am happy to report success. 

No idea truly which change was most relative to resolution - but thank you folks - all of you; my remaining sanity can now remain intact. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a93505d57eb307a3aed2c39daa2f4794.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.194c95536cca7c0897d5e98de2a9bb53.jpeg

Edit: this:

image.thumb.jpeg.1b7eba9cb860ceff6a65121458f9edae.jpeg

Edited by blaine07

Hi together, 

i need Help :/

Someone once set up Thailscale for me or helped me with it. 

For about a month now, I can no longer access my folder from work. 
Since I am so unfamiliar with the whole topic, I have not made any changes, apart from updating the docker. 

I don't know what I can do now... I would also like to reinstall it, but I can't even remember how it was set up for me back then... 

or am I suddenly doing something wrong? 

When I want to access a folder, I create a network folder at my workstation with \\xxx.xxx.xx.xx\folder name

I take the IP from here

image.thumb.png.6ed1bdb78492391c7aafe7cdf2d92bc9.png

Edited by Keelval
7 hours ago, Keelval said:

Hi together, 

i need Help :/

Someone once set up Thailscale for me or helped me with it. 

For about a month now, I can no longer access my folder from work. 
Since I am so unfamiliar with the whole topic, I have not made any changes, apart from updating the docker. 

I don't know what I can do now... I would also like to reinstall it, but I can't even remember how it was set up for me back then... 

or am I suddenly doing something wrong? 

When I want to access a folder, I create a network folder at my workstation with \\xxx.xxx.xx.xx\folder name

I take the IP from here

image.thumb.png.6ed1bdb78492391c7aafe7cdf2d92bc9.png

If you've updated to Unraid 6.12 and are still using the Docker version, this is expected... 6.12 included changes that break Tailscale and other VPN products unless you reconfigure Unraid to support them.

What you should do is uninstall the Docker container, then install the Tailscale plugin from Community Applications (that's what this support thread is for). The plugin automatically handles the extra configuration needed for Tailscale and Unraid to work together, and also adds a configuration page in the Unraid webgui that makes it easier to set up :)

Works great when I'm away from home, but noticing some network issues since installing a month ago.

1. Sometimes I can't access my Unraid server when I'm on a local machine without tailscale active on the client. Rebooting the Unraid plugin seems to help.
2. Plex users are saying their streams will stop every 20 mins or so.

Not sure if it's Tailscale related, but figured I'd upload the diagnostics. Thanks.

Hera-tailscale-diag-20230917-101241.zip

Edited by Riverhawk
4 hours ago, Riverhawk said:

Works great when I'm away from home, but noticing some network issues since installing a month ago.

1. Sometimes I can't access my Unraid server when I'm on a local machine without tailscale active on the client. Rebooting the Unraid plugin seems to help.
2. Plex users are saying their streams will stop every 20 mins or so.

Not sure if it's Tailscale related, but figured I'd upload the diagnostics. Thanks.

Hera-tailscale-diag-20230917-101241.zip 159.39 kB · 0 downloads

It looks like you might have a motherboard problem... I see a bunch of entries like the following in your syslog.

Sep 17 07:35:21 Hera kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0: AER: Corrected error received: 0000:00:06.0
Sep 17 07:35:21 Hera kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Physical Layer, (Receiver ID)
Sep 17 07:35:21 Hera kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0:   device [8086:a74d] error status/mask=00000001/00002000
Sep 17 07:35:21 Hera kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0:    [ 0] RxErr                 
Sep 17 07:49:57 Hera kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0: AER: Corrected error received: 0000:00:06.0
Sep 17 07:49:57 Hera kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Physical Layer, (Receiver ID)
Sep 17 07:49:57 Hera kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0:   device [8086:a74d] error status/mask=00000001/00002000
Sep 17 07:49:57 Hera kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0:    [ 0] RxErr                 
Sep 17 08:17:34 Hera kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0: AER: Corrected error received: 0000:00:06.0
Sep 17 08:17:34 Hera kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Physical Layer, (Receiver ID)
Sep 17 08:17:34 Hera kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0:   device [8086:a74d] error status/mask=00000001/00002000
Sep 17 08:17:34 Hera kernel: pcieport 0000:00:06.0:    [ 0] RxErr                

I also see a bunch of entries in the Tailscale logs that indicate that it's having trouble connecting to the internet, but I'm not certain what the cause of that is. It could be that something is going on with the network connection that's getting everything into a weird state after a while.

Edited by EDACerton
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2023 at 4:33 AM, OHH_HEY-Thomas said:

Tower-tailscale-diag-20230913-192934.zip 180.79 kB · 1 download

I see the same issue, I have also tried enabling and disabling subnet and magic DNS in the settings. 

Just installed; awesome plug-in!

Two small-ish feature requests:
1) A config field in the GUI for the subnet routers that will result in the --adviertise-routes parameter during tailscale up command. This removes the need to run "tailscale set --advertise-routes=$cidr" in the cli.

2) Have an additional advanced config field for extra tailscale up flags. Ie. I want to use the flag --snat-subnet-routes=false.

On 9/29/2023 at 1:15 PM, oko2708 said:

Just updated to 1.50.0 after coming from 1.48.2. Unraid GUI went down, system keeps running and is accesible through SSH, but not using HTTP GUI.

Had to revert back to 1.48.2 to get it working again.

I am on unraid 6.12.3

+1, had to remove it from CLI to get up and running again.

12 minutes ago, danhusan said:

Understandable, unfortunately I am not able to provide that. Best suggestion I can come up with is that I am running 444 as my HTTPS port.

Understandable... you can generate diagnostics via the CLI, but I also recognize that's a bit of a pain :)

I run HTTPS on a nonstandard port on my main install, so I don't think that's related. Can you generate a plugin diagnostics pack from the version you're currently on? That'll give me a starting point to try and diagnose... I suspect that it's a conflict between the Tailscale plugin and something else installed on the system.

9 minutes ago, EDACerton said:

Understandable... you can generate diagnostics via the CLI, but I also recognize that's a bit of a pain :)

I run HTTPS on a nonstandard port on my main install, so I don't think that's related. Can you generate a plugin diagnostics pack from the version you're currently on? That'll give me a starting point to try and diagnose... I suspect that it's a conflict between the Tailscale plugin and something else installed on the system.

Sorry, cant share data from the server. I am not using tailscale anymore anyways so no biggie. However for you reference, hopefully it can help if any more people reports the same:

I have the following plugins:

Fix commong problems
ca backup / restore appdata
ca mover tuning
community applications
docker.patch
dynamix auto fan control
dynamix file manager
file activity
gpu statistics
intel gpu top
nerdtools
network ups tools (nut)
snmp
unraid connect
user scripts

Thanks for the support and great work on the plugin!

On 7/18/2023 at 11:16 AM, BrandonG777 said:

Uninstalled Tailscale plugin and problem has not reoccurred. Diagnostics captured last time SSH & unraid web management interface went offline even for local network traffic. I have a bonded NIC, maybe that's throwing a wrench into this?

bahamut-diagnostics-20230716-1042.zip 180.45 kB · 1 download

Gave this a lil time and reinstalled the plugin from scratch and happy to report, been up and running for over a week without issue.

[Tailscale plugin and Pihole container]

So I have only basic knowledge of networking, containers and Unraid, and I need some help achieving the following:

• Use my local Pihole as a DNS server for my iPhone wherever I am.

I have the Tailscale Unraid plugin installed and it is working, i.e. I can access the Unraid WebUI via Tailscale. I also have the Pihole container running and I am using it as my DNS server for my local network.

The challenge I seem to have is that my Pihole container is running on a "Custom: br0" interface which exposes an IP address of 192.168.178.250 to my LAN, whereas the main IP of my Unraid box is 192.168.178.222 and so the Pihole container is not part of my Tailscale network.

One idea I had was to adapt the Pihole container so that it would also include Tailscale and so that my Pihole machine would expose itself as a separate node, but doing that is above my knowledge, and on paper seems like a lot of work - there must be other, simpler ways? Somehow forwarding port 53 request on the Unraid host to the Pihole's container port 53?

Many thanks for your insights!

Alain

23 hours ago, AlainF said:

[Tailscale plugin and Pihole container]

So I have only basic knowledge of networking, containers and Unraid, and I need some help achieving the following:

• Use my local Pihole as a DNS server for my iPhone wherever I am.

I have the Tailscale Unraid plugin installed and it is working, i.e. I can access the Unraid WebUI via Tailscale. I also have the Pihole container running and I am using it as my DNS server for my local network.

The challenge I seem to have is that my Pihole container is running on a "Custom: br0" interface which exposes an IP address of 192.168.178.250 to my LAN, whereas the main IP of my Unraid box is 192.168.178.222 and so the Pihole container is not part of my Tailscale network.

One idea I had was to adapt the Pihole container so that it would also include Tailscale and so that my Pihole machine would expose itself as a separate node, but doing that is above my knowledge, and on paper seems like a lot of work - there must be other, simpler ways? Somehow forwarding port 53 request on the Unraid host to the Pihole's container port 53?

Many thanks for your insights!

Alain

im doing the same thing with my iphone and and pushing all my iphone traffic to my unraid box with exit node enabled.. I just added my pihole dns address in to talscale. it seems to work 

image.thumb.png.f76850682c8d8d9f346ff38a68eb06e9.png

however im havving an issue when using gravity update

im getting this error "[✗] DNS resolution is currently unavailable" its worked before not sure what changed or had enabled to cause this error.

image.thumb.png.6e7ba8572b700362b4c16a424b8f1757.png

Edited by digital_billy