[Support] Catduck Templates

On 5/31/2023 at 3:25 PM, CatDuck said:

I doubt the issue is related to the base domain variable. I would still put the domains where you plan to access mealie, for example "https://tomahawkmealie.duckdns.com" (No quotes)

From there, in the docker, what is your "Front End" Port? That is the first variable, it defaults to 3000 in the container, but you can change it from 3000 to 9925. (and you should)

Your mealie config would be helpful, I don't use SWAG, but I would start with those things.

Sorry if you already did those things, but let me know.

That was it - I changed the ports back to defaults and all is well now.  Thanks so much!

I only changed the ports as I had other services setup on 3000, but I’ll shift that side instead. Thanks again for all the support and for Mealiev1 :)

• 3 weeks later...

I recently migrated from a pre V1 release. I did so by backing up the old version and importing into the new to transfer my recipes. All worked well initially.  I went into settings and changed my password and received a "password changed successfully". I then logged out to log back in via the updated password and I'm getting a "account is locked, please try again later" error message. I stopped my container and restarted thinking it may reset  any lock behavior but it's still doing it. I've waited for two hours and still same error.  Any suggestion of what I can try to rectify? In the logs it is saying: User is locked out from 127.0.0.1  and also "POST /api/auth/token HTTP/1.1" 423 locked

2 hours ago, crankyCowboy said:

I recently migrated from a pre V1 release. I did so by backing up the old version and importing into the new to transfer my recipes. All worked well initially.  I went into settings and changed my password and received a "password changed successfully". I then logged out to log back in via the updated password and I'm getting a "account is locked, please try again later" error message. I stopped my container and restarted thinking it may reset  any lock behavior but it's still doing it. I've waited for two hours and still same error.  Any suggestion of what I can try to rectify? In the logs it is saying: User is locked out from 127.0.0.1  and also "POST /api/auth/token HTTP/1.1" 423 locked

Did you try resetting the password again?

Did you set up SMTP and did you get an email about password reset? I have never heard of this before. I suggest coming in the mealie discord asking. 

15 hours ago, CatDuck said:

Did you try resetting the password again?

Did you set up SMTP and did you get an email about password reset? I have never heard of this before. I suggest coming in the mealie discord asking. 

@CatDucksmtp is setup, I didn't receive (or request) a password reset initially; however your comment gave me the idea to try that. I reset it via email and I was still locked out. I just left it alone for the night. When I got up this morning and tried again it worked!!  Have no idea what happened or why, but it seems to be sorted out now. Thank you for trying to help!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm fairly new with unraid and docker in general and need some help installing and configuring. 

(a) the Mealie website pages mention different possible databases, like SQLite and Postgres, but how do you set which one with this unraid Mealie docker?  Its not in the settings page. 

(b) how do you control where the recipe data is stored in case I want it on a specific drive and directory? I've already installed and added a few things - can I just move the directory and change it in the settings?

(c)  The default path looks like it came up as /mnt/user/appdata/mealiev1  (I didn't notice that at first).  But my unraid system shows the share "appdata" does not use the cache pool. In order to avoid unnecessarily spinning up and writing to the drives how do I safely move data storage to a different location so it will use the cache pool. It doesn't make sense to be doing a ton of writes to the array as I'm adding and editing recipes - that should all be done on a cache drive.

(d) The test did not work so something is wrong but how do I debug why mail isn't working, does it write information into any log files to see what is failing?

Thanks for any assistance - those are the more pertinent questions but there might be more later on.

Edited by mainart1955
Added additional questions

A. You do not need to do anything. It is using SQLite.

B. It is stored in SQLite, You don't change the directory.

C. This is general unraid question. You can simply make appdata folder use the cache pool.

E. All depends on your email provider, You should double check your information to see if entered correctly.

Okay - thanks.

A) Someone else in this support forum asked about the database and you suggested staying with SQLite so I had to assume there was a way to change it.

B) Is SQLite installed in the same Docker as Mealie? I didn't install SQLite so it must be installed with the Mealie docker - so the question is still where is the data

C) On the appdata folder, it was already set to not use the cache so it looks like that is how unRaid wanted it set to not cache - I wasn't sure of why or if its okay to make it use the cache. That's why I want to know how to just relocate the mealie folder under appdata.

D) I believe the email settings are correct, That's why I would like to see if it stores anything in a log file that I can use to debug the problem.  Since email isn't working and I've forgotten my password I'm unable to login to change the email settings anyway at the moment and will probably have to delete and reinstall.

"MyPassword" for the password worked so I was able to login.

Additional questions:

There is a "Logs" for Mealie in the Docker page of Unraid. It doesn't have much in it but there are repeated entries like: 127.0.0.1:58638 - "GET /api/app/about HTTP/1.1" 200 OK  in it. Looks like a new one is added about every 30 seconds.  I hope this log isn't stored on the array where its adding these entries twice a minute.

The most disturbing issue is that after installing the Mealie app docker, my array discs are spinning up once an hour, whether I'm logged in to Mealie or Unraid or not.  What needs to spin the drive up every hour and how do I turn this off?   Spinning the drivee up and down like this is unnecessary wear and tear on the drives.

@mainart1955Most of your issues seem to be general unraid, and not mealie specific.

For example, Appdata, SQLite, are not mealie specific, and I encourage you to look at general unraid suggestion. Migrating appdata is the same with mealie as any other app.

dockers contain sqlite all inside their own docker.

now that you logged in, you can test email settings.

Changing where a database is stored is not so simple, SQLite and your data is in appdata folder. 

The logs need to be stored somewhere. You can simply move your appdata folder folder to cache instead of unraid. 

Again, these are all essentially non mealie specific, and encourage you to get help generally.

Okay, I'll look up docs to research moving the mealie appdata folder and SQLite. Alternately, maybe I can do a mealie backup, delete / uninstall, then re-install with a specific folder to use instead of the default then restore the data. In the worst case I don't have a huge amount anyway so could start over after re-installing if needed.

I believe the email settings are okay.  But the email test hangs, and the reset password doesn't work.  So, that's why I have been hoping there is a log file containing what's happening when Mealie is trying to do the email test.  I had to generate a app password, so the mail provider is designed to allow 3rd party app access.

What about the issue with Mealie causing the array to spin up every hour?  I paused the Mealie docker and as expected the drives are no longer spinning up every hour.  If there is no way around this issue then I'll probably uninstall the Mealie docker. 

But accessing the array and causing the drives to spin-up every hour isn't a unraid feature.  I don't think that relocating appdata/mealiev1 directory to another place that gets cached can prevent that.  After changing appdata so it is cached, the array still spins up if the mealie docker is running.  If these hourly spin-up's are unavoidable my only resort is to remove the mealie docker - I can't have a recipe app causing the drives to turn on every hour, forever.  Is this a docker / unraid issue or a mealie issue?

So really I would like to know if you have any ideas on how to prevent it from doing this every hour. 

Pausing or stopping the mealie docker is also an option but makes the app less convenient since this would require logging in and restarting the docker app every time to use it then manually pausing or stopping the docker again when done.  Adding a small computer / server which could also house mealie and other apps is a better option and there are several available for under $100 - less than the price of just one NAS drive.   This would prevent drive failure by avoiding hourly spin-up's, unless there is a setting to prevent it from happening.

I do appreciate the support you've been able to provide on these issues.

@mainart1955 Yes, it is. Unless you change settings. This is not specific to mealie. If you search the forums, you will find many others who have experienced and what to do in order to fix this. I do not have the time to help teach you how to use Unraid. If you appreciated my time, you would listen to what I am saying, and not argue. This is a common app/docker/unraid problem. You have something that is pointing to the array. You may have changed the appdata to use cache, but you never told app data to move to the cache.

If you want help from people, who are very busy, who are doing this for free, and asking nothing in return, you get the best support by not arguing with them. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am receiving "Invalid Credentials" on the default user name and PW on a fresh install. I tried changing the default e-mail variable on another attempt and that didn't seem to work either. Any ideas?

Edit: I'm not sure how I got to that state, but no matter what I tried I was unable to get logged in as the superuser. I finally uninstalled the docker and deleted the appdata starting over from scratch. I was able to login using [email protected]/MyPassword. 

Edited by OneFiveRhema
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for continuing this project!  I was looking on github and happened to notice what I had been using had not been updated in over a year lol - It took me a minute to figure out what was going on with mealie but after I thought to look in unraid CA, I was able to get this working easily by reading and any questions I had were already addressed here.  It was also super easy to get it set up as well. 

This is definitely a very minor issue, but I was wondering if there are plans to restore the icon for mealie?  It looks like the link for it has been removed/moved.  Thanks again! 

12 minutes ago, danktankk said:

Thank you for continuing this project!  I was looking on github and happened to notice what I had been using had not been updated in over a year lol - It took me a minute to figure out what was going on with mealie but after I thought to look in unraid CA, I was able to get this working easily by reading and any questions I had were already addressed here.  It was also super easy to get it set up as well. 

This is definitely a very minor issue, but I was wondering if there are plans to restore the icon for mealie?  It looks like the link for it has been removed/moved.  Thanks again! 

I noticed this myself recently and since I had made no changes I assumed it was my user error. I honestly have no idea why it went away and will address and update template this weekend. Thank you for mentioning! 

Also worth noting mealie is close to an official 1.0 release. The rc1 is on github,(not docker hub) but I plan to wait before updating any templates as I want to avoid breaking changes everything seems to still be working well right now. 

I will probably not add this to the main post, but I want to mention postgres for mealie is great and simple. There is "fuzzy" search implemented in postgres but not sqlite. Anyone can simply add the Docker Variables from the official documentation. 

Simply export a backup when running sqlite, and you can restore that after switching to postgres. 

Edited by CatDuck
Typo
6 hours ago, CatDuck said:

Also worth noting mealie is close to an official 1.0 release. The rc1 is on github,(not docker hub) but I plan to wait before updating any templates as I want to avoid breaking changes everything seems to still be working well right now. 

I will probably not add this to the main post, but I want to mention postgres for mealie is great and simple. There is "fuzzy" search implemented in postgres but not sqlite. Anyone can simply add the Docker Variables from the official documentation. 

Simply export a backup when running sqlite, and you can restore that after switching to postgres. 

I just looked on github and found v1.0.0beta-RC1.  is that the same one you are talking about?  the fuzzy search is for recipes already in mealie, correct?

7 minutes ago, danktankk said:

I just looked on github and found v1.0.0beta-RC1.  is that the same one you are talking about?  the fuzzy search is for recipes already in mealie, correct?

Yes, the rc1, but the nightly you we are all on is essentially the same at this point. I'd argue nightly omni still better. 

Ports would need to be updated to change to RC1. No reason for anyone to switch yet. 

Probably TMI, and correct as far as I know for fuzzy search. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, danktankk said:

i definitely like the new look and appreciate your efforts.  changing ports shouldn't be a big issue i wouldn't think.  is there a comparison between what we have now and the omni version?  admittedly, its a little confusing.

There is basically no difference at all. I'm not quite sure why I brought it up. 

Also, logo should be fixed now. 

Sorry if related to previous question I see here.

Trying to figure out how to store to external share as I am using many recipe images that are blowing up the size of the docker container. I would like my data on a separate share outside of appdata.  Is this feasible?  What process would you recommend for migrating the current db if so?

Edited by goldbondx
26 minutes ago, goldbondx said:

Sorry if related to previous question I see here.

Trying to figure out how to store to external share as I am using many recipe images that are blowing up the size of the docker container. I would like my data on a separate share outside of appdata.  Is this feasible?  What process would you recommend for migrating the current db if so?

Migrating is really easy to postgres. You would add DB_Engine and the rest of the variables with your information. You simply make an export/backup with mealie, and then you can restore the backup and it works. Easy at that.

# Database Settings - DB_ENGINE=postgres - POSTGRES_USER=mealie - POSTGRES_PASSWORD=mealie - POSTGRES_SERVER=postgres - POSTGRES_PORT=5432 - POSTGRES_DB=mealie

• CatDuck changed the title to [Support] Catduck Templates