[Plugin] Realtek R8125 R8126 R8168 and R8152\6\7 drivers

I also have an issue with this plugin currently which limits my download speeds to around 300Mb/s.  It only happens after upgrading from 6.12.8 to 6.12.10 or 6.12.11.  Uninstalling and reinstalilng the plugin did not help.  Returning to 6.12.8 or uninstalling the plugin restores my speeds.

Hello,

I am also having an issue with USB Realtek RTL8156BG. The hardware sets the TX buffers to n/a, and TX speeds are capped at 800, while RX is at 2.5 gigs.

image.png.970be928528d6115743e909f71b64af4.png

image.png.704b6fdcf497b641de29103c9a1f5c1c.png

Thanks

Edited by Naidu
Screenshots

I think I found the issue. Unraid Kernel doesn't allow flow control for TX to be turned off, whereas the driver requires it to be turned off.

image.png.5372d661cc55dcbaa95e75af31c055a3.png

If I use "ethtool -A eth0 rx on tx off" (Enable flow control), it also enables it for TX.

Settings the following setting to "Yes" drops all speeds to 500 Mbps: 

image.thumb.png.037b83ffbd71e4dc00c05869f58409bf.png

Thanks

• Thanks 1
On 8/3/2024 at 2:01 PM, bigboo said:

I'm using OMV with proxmox kernel and this dkms:

https://github.com/awesometic/realtek-r8125-dkms/

I have the same slow speed problem for some times.

I have a r8125.conf file in /modprobe.d with:

options r8125 aspm=1

options r8125 eee=0

I changed the last line to

options r8125 eee_enable=0

rebooted, now full speed is back!

Thank you for sharing this. While this did effectively disable EEE, which the previous r8125.conf file did not, my speed issues still persist in Unraid.

Edited by obowan

I'm on unraid 7 beta 2, and I'm having a similar issue to what other sare describing. Not AS slow, but much slower than it (has been and) should be. Before it'd be much closer to 2500 on the download. The upload is fine. But a month or so ago, maybe two if memory serves, it was hitting near 2500 on the D/L every time.

Screenshot 2024-08-09 031713.png

Wanted to add, I had a hunch, and check on the dashboard, and, even before much of ANYTHING is going on, theres constant drops happening. Even more so when Docker is running. And sure enough, its on the receive end as well, which matches the speed test above.

image.png.bb2e249c3ddfff020e8484acf66a81eb.png

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out whats going on :(.

Edited by stry8993
Added new info
  • 5 weeks later...

Hoping to get some help on this ongoing saga.

I've been running 6.12.4 with the RTK 8156 plugin for a long while (a year?) at full 2.5Gbps. Got to this point after an 18 month fight with the drivers and am very thankful for this plugin. I remember at the time that I couldn't upgrade past 6.12.4 or the network driver would break so I just left things there.

I should define "thing would break" - The USB RTK 8156 nic would run at full speed for quite some time (anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours) before suddenly dropping completely offline. My server is headless so getting back online requires a hard reset of my system at which point it comes back online for 30 minutes to a few hours before dying again. Tailing syslog shows no notifications leading up to the NIC dropping offline. 6.12.4 plus the driver plugin fixed this.

Fast forward to yesterday when I forgot the above and happily upgraded unraid to 6.12.13. As the upgrade progressed, I saw a notification in the web UI that said that the RTK plugin was being updated as part of the OS upgrade. I'm now back to square one, suffering with the NIC dropping offline after some period. To add to this, I no longer get 2.5Gbps even though unraid reports a link at 2500Mbps. I get around 830Mbps using iperf3.

Do I try to revert to 6.12.4? I don't know how I could figure out what version of the plugin I used to have that was working.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

33 minutes ago, bfeist said:

Hoping to get some help on this ongoing saga.

I've been running 6.12.4 with the RTK 8156 plugin for a long while (a year?) at full 2.5Gbps. Got to this point after an 18 month fight with the drivers and am very thankful for this plugin. I remember at the time that I couldn't upgrade past 6.12.4 or the network driver would break so I just left things there.

I should define "thing would break" - The USB RTK 8156 nic would run at full speed for quite some time (anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours) before suddenly dropping completely offline. My server is headless so getting back online requires a hard reset of my system at which point it comes back online for 30 minutes to a few hours before dying again. Tailing syslog shows no notifications leading up to the NIC dropping offline. 6.12.4 plus the driver plugin fixed this.

Fast forward to yesterday when I forgot the above and happily upgraded unraid to 6.12.13. As the upgrade progressed, I saw a notification in the web UI that said that the RTK plugin was being updated as part of the OS upgrade. I'm now back to square one, suffering with the NIC dropping offline after some period. To add to this, I no longer get 2.5Gbps even though unraid reports a link at 2500Mbps. I get around 830Mbps using iperf3.

Do I try to revert to 6.12.4? I don't know how I could figure out what version of the plugin I used to have that was working.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, now is my time to shine!

So, here is what I did to 'fix' this. I don't know that its fully working, as its meant too, however, I haven't 'crashed' or dropped connection too the server (I was in the same boat, unable to connect, server essentially dead in the water). Now I'm pulling most of this from very vague memory, as I've had a lot going on, and, I really just sort of winged it when I did it and didn't make a mental, or any physical, notes as to the steps I did.

I'm on 7 beta 2, so, you know, a bit different, however, because the updates to the plug in weren't happening, I checked the github page manually, myself. I then remember downloading the plug in from the git, the most recent version of it, for my adapter (I'm using the USB version of the 2.5gbps nic) and put it in the plugins section of my unraid USB. Now.... I can't remember much after that, if there was a step I had to do, or if it just picked it up, but.... its been working ever since,  no drop outs, nothing.

Now I know this isn't thorough or definitive, but there might be enough in here for you to pair with something else to help you pinpoint the exact fix.

I really do hope this helps. Best of luck.

PS I should also add, this will make it so that it doesn't show up in your plugins. But it DOES work. So I suppose you more or less won't be able to update using the update plugin option (but, for me, it wasn't updating to a version that was helping my NIC anyways - hence doing it manually)

Edited by stry8993
Additional Info
14 hours ago, stry8993 said:

Okay, now is my time to shine!

So, here is what I did to 'fix' this. I don't know that its fully working, as its meant too, however, I haven't 'crashed' or dropped connection too the server (I was in the same boat, unable to connect, server essentially dead in the water). Now I'm pulling most of this from very vague memory, as I've had a lot going on, and, I really just sort of winged it when I did it and didn't make a mental, or any physical, notes as to the steps I did.

I'm on 7 beta 2, so, you know, a bit different, however, because the updates to the plug in weren't happening, I checked the github page manually, myself. I then remember downloading the plug in from the git, the most recent version of it, for my adapter (I'm using the USB version of the 2.5gbps nic) and put it in the plugins section of my unraid USB. Now.... I can't remember much after that, if there was a step I had to do, or if it just picked it up, but.... its been working ever since,  no drop outs, nothing.

Now I know this isn't thorough or definitive, but there might be enough in here for you to pair with something else to help you pinpoint the exact fix.

I really do hope this helps. Best of luck.

PS I should also add, this will make it so that it doesn't show up in your plugins. But it DOES work. So I suppose you more or less won't be able to update using the update plugin option (but, for me, it wasn't updating to a version that was helping my NIC anyways - hence doing it manually)

Thanks for this. I'll keep a manual driver update in mind when I tackle this again. In the meantime I reverted to 6.9.4 and everything is stable again. I'll have another look in a few months.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the 7.0.0 Beta 2 and have a r8152 card on the way to me.

Do I need to do anything other than fit the card, power on, install the plugin and reboot or are there issues with speed and APSM that need manual config?

I see that the driver package for Kernel 6.8.12 was compiled in June 24 but for 6.6.52 in Sept 24. Is this an issue?

Edit: Used the plugin as is and changed no other settings. Getting approx 2.37Gbps real world file transfers between devices and with iperf3. That's a win!

Edited by Presjar

Hi Everyone,

I'm on unraid 7.0.0 Beta 3 and have the same issues as some people described with dropped packages, Reverting back to the unraid default doesn't help either it could be even worse, 

I Have two rtl8125 controllers on a B550 and Z690 mobo, The B550 is stable and has been running for days although dropped packages appaer alot.

The z690 version isn't stable when tdarr node from B550 mobo runs the z690 crashes (only nic because I see the node on my pc (second node) work fine witch seems strange (the z690 is the tdarr server as well)

Is there a known issue with RTL8125 cards on unraid 7?

I'm trying to upgrade my 1260H mini PC to 2.5Gb eth. My USB adapter is RTL8156B chipset. I've installed the RTL8156B chipset (although in plugins it shows as 8152). I've rebooted and it is working as a dongle, but I'm still only getting Gb speed instead of 2.5. I saw a reference to a "go" file but I'm not sure which file that is, nor where I should actually put the line if I can find the file. Any help on what I can do to enable full 2.5Gb would be great appreciated. 

diagnostics-20241013-1035.zip

Edited by ShadohStorm