[Plugin] Realtek R8125 R8168 and R8152\6 drivers

5 hours ago, Aldamir said:

Hi, i tried to update the drivers but the latest version i can see is from 2023.11.15. On the Github repo i can see @ich777 's updates.

Am i missing something?

Thanks for the help!

Hi, I just update the code and no update for the release note for small fix. I guess you can just uninstall and install and you will get the latest one.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, cardo said:

Hi,

I have the following USB 2.5GB NIC https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093FB9QWB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, I was using your driver with success up until I updated to 6.12.5 and then it stopped working. When starting up it would say that the eth0 interface was not found. I saw the previous response about updating the driver, so I uninstalled the r8156 driver and then rebooted. I then downloaded the driver again and rebooted and the issue remained. I saw then there was an update to unRAID to 6.12.6 and I updated. The issue still remains

I rebooted a number of times and it just won't work. I have attached the diagnostic logs.

diagnostics-20231202-1639.zip 141.3 kB · 1 download

The r8152/6 driver haven't been updated for months, it is still v2.17.1 version. It seems the card was driven succesfully.

I can see in your log, the eth0 was changed to eth122, that is strange, please check whether some other plugin or configuration changed this.

Dec  2 16:38:07 MojoRyzen kernel: r8152-cfgselector 4-3: reset SuperSpeed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
Dec  2 16:38:07 MojoRyzen kernel: r8152 4-3:1.0 eth0: v2.17.1 (2023/06/13)
Dec  2 16:38:07 MojoRyzen kernel: r8152 4-3:1.0 eth0: This product is covered by one or more of the following patents:
Dec  2 16:38:07 MojoRyzen kernel:         US6,570,884, US6,115,776, and US6,327,625.
Dec  2 16:38:07 MojoRyzen kernel: 
Dec  2 16:38:07 MojoRyzen kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver r8152
Dec  2 16:38:07 MojoRyzen kernel: r8152 4-3:1.0 eth122: renamed from eth0

Just now, jinlife said:

The r8152/6 driver haven't been updated for months, it is still v2.17.1 version. It seems the card was driven succesfully.

I can see in your log, the eth0 was changed to eth122, that is strange, please check whether some other plugin or configuration changed this.

Dec  2 16:38:07 MojoRyzen kernel: r8152-cfgselector 4-3: reset SuperSpeed USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
Dec  2 16:38:07 MojoRyzen kernel: r8152 4-3:1.0 eth0: v2.17.1 (2023/06/13)
Dec  2 16:38:07 MojoRyzen kernel: r8152 4-3:1.0 eth0: This product is covered by one or more of the following patents:
Dec  2 16:38:07 MojoRyzen kernel:         US6,570,884, US6,115,776, and US6,327,625.
Dec  2 16:38:07 MojoRyzen kernel: 
Dec  2 16:38:07 MojoRyzen kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver r8152
Dec  2 16:38:07 MojoRyzen kernel: r8152 4-3:1.0 eth122: renamed from eth0

To be honest it looked like it happened after me switching primary eth0 back and forth between the internal NIC and the USB one. I was also attempting to try different USB ports because I desperately wanted it to work. Is there any way for me to reset this so eth122 is removed?

15 minutes ago, cardo said:

To be honest it looked like it happened after me switching primary eth0 back and forth between the internal NIC and the USB one. I was also attempting to try different USB ports because I desperately wanted it to work. Is there any way for me to reset this so eth122 is removed?

Maybe you can copy a brand new network.cfg file from unraid installer and overwrite yours in the config folder of the USB disk and then reboot. It will reset the network config and then you can start your experiment from the beginning. 

Better to backup your entire USB disk before this in case any mistake happen.

2 hours ago, jinlife said:

Maybe you can copy a brand new network.cfg file from unraid installer and overwrite yours in the config folder of the USB disk and then reboot. It will reset the network config and then you can start your experiment from the beginning. 

Better to backup your entire USB disk before this in case any mistake happen.

Yeah. I don't like the thought of doing that. I'll just look for a USB NIC with native support. Thanks anyway.

EDIT: I tried this and it made no difference. I'll post in the support forum to see if I can figure out why eth0 is being renamed to eth122 when the USB NIC is made primary.

Edited by cardo

I am also having the same issue described... I have the 8156 Realtek USB LAN Adapter. It worked fine in 6.12.4 and doesn't work in 6.12.5 or 6.12.6.

I am also seeing eth122 thing showing up and I think it was listed as "shutdown" or something like that... I assumed that was because I had my built-in network cable as part of bond0 and it couldn't fine eth0 (usb) so eth1 (PCI) took over.

I tired deleting my network config and that didn't make any difference. I didn't try removing the plug-in and reinstalling, I can try that next time I get a chance.  

I have reverted back to 6.12.4 and everything works fine.

Edited by emotion_chip
1 hour ago, emotion_chip said:

Sorry, next time I try to troubleshoot I'll download the diagnostics info... I thought it would be helpful to show that other people were having the same issue as cardo

Looks like an incompatibility issue. The r8156 code has not changed while the Unraid kernel is updated. I guess they don't work properly and I need to find some time to figure out why, in the meantime, I think it's better to stay on 6.12.4 for now.

Edited by jinlife

@JorgeB  @emotion_chip @cardo @ich777

It looks like the driver cdc_ncm hijacked the usb driver.

Add blacklist to this driver and reboot, then it will work fine.

echo "blacklist cdc_ncm" > /boot/config/modprobe.d/cdc_ncm.conf

Please check whether it works.

It seems the CONFIG_USB_NET_CDC_NCM was added in 6.12.5rc, I have no idea why it was added.

Don't know whether it is conflict with 

If it is permanent change, then we might need to add blacklist in the plugin code.

• Like 2

@jinlifecan confirm it works after blacklisting cdc_ncm

30 minutes ago, jinlife said:

I have no idea why it was added.

It was added to make a different USB NIC work, that NIC worked with 6.11 and stopped working since 6.12, no idea why it's hijacking the Realtek NIC though, but I guess it would be better to add the new blacklist to the plugin.

• Like 2

@jinlife & @JorgeB & @emotion_chip, I've updated the R8152 plugin and it now should automatically create the cdc_ncm.conf to blacklist the driver.

Simply do the following:

1. Remove the cdc_ncm.conf file from /boot/config/modprobe.d/
  2. Update the plugin to version 2023.12.04
  3. Reboot

After that the driver should work as it should.

If you haven't created the cdc_ncm.conf file yet then simply update the plugin.

If you've already updated the plugin, don't remove the cdc_ncm.conf file.

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Thanks @ich777 and @jinlife, it works again.

Hi @JorgeB,

Thanks for testing this. As an somewhat unrelated aside, is there a way for me to replace the biz* files on my bootable unRAID USB drive without pulling the drive from the computer? I was attempting last night to roll back to 6.11 and was following instructions posted in the forum and apparently neglected to copy over all of the biz* files and now I am getting a checksum error. If I make new media can I boot to it and then copy the proper biz* files to the internal drive?

Just now, JorgeB said:

With v6.12 you cannot replace the existing files with the server online, you can move those files to a different folder then copy the new ones.

Ok, but if I boot from a newly created 6.12.6 media, will I be able to copy the files to the existing server drive inside my case or am I going to have to pull it? It's going to be a pain to do, so I'm hoping for a workaround.

7 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

You can copy if first you move the existing files, just don't overwrite them.

Uh oh. Well that is a problem then. My internal USB with my original unRAID files, has a mixture of 6.12.6 and 6.12.4. I only copied bzroot, bzimage and bzroot-gui from 6.12.4.

I just tried booting from the new media and it is still giving the checksum error even when disabling the internal media. I guess I'll pull the drive later and copy the 6.12.6 files back over the 6.12.4 files I mistakingly overwrote.

Thanks again for the help.