Unraid listening interfaces (6.12 and later)

I have a zerotier docker that worked fine until i upgraded to 6.12
With 6.12 i had to add the zerotier ip/interface to the "Interface Extra"->"Include listening interfaces"
without that, unraid wont respond to the zerotier ip (only unraid interface, every docker/vm zerotier ip works)
adding that, unraid works, until next reboot
after the reboot, i have to go back to that option, add any character to the box to enable "Apply" button, delete the character, and press Apply, to make unraid listen to that interface again

I think there is a bug, that wont apply those setting at reboot.

or
at boot, the zerotier docker isn't started yet and the settings are ignored.

either way, i need a fix because the machine is remote and zerotier is mandatory

I'm having the same frustrating issue. Since it kills ssh too, I've even tried ssh'ing into another device (also in ZeroTier network) on the same remote LAN then trying to pull up the UI in w3m to remove/re-add the ZT listening IP to no avail.

Edited by zippyd00
  • 1 month later...
On 7/28/2023 at 1:13 AM, Kedryn said:

at boot, the zerotier docker isn't started yet and the settings are ignored.

I have a feeling you might be right here. Will somebody who is running 6.12.4 please provide diagnostics after a reboot, after the container is started, but before you manually re-edit the listening interfaces. i.e. the listening interfaces should have the correct values from a previous boot, but I want logs that show they are ignored.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I didn't read the release notes: 

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/release-notes/6.12.0/#known-issues

To use the Tailscale or Zerotier interface, it is required to add the interface name or IP address of the communication to the list of included listening interfaces. Important: It is imperative that Tailscale or Zerotier container is running before the interface is added to the list. For more information, refer to this Community forum post.

I have not rebooted yet to see if this is persistent but I will follow along with these posts if I still have an issue. 

Edited by smileybri
  • 1 month later...

On 9/6/2023 at 12:16 PM, ljm42 said:

Will somebody who is running 6.12.4 please provide diagnostics after a reboot, after the container is started, but before you manually re-edit the listening interfaces. i.e. the listening interfaces should have the correct values from a previous boot, but I want logs that show they are ignored.  Thanks!

Hi ljm42, attached are my diagnostics for the same issue, thanks for looking into this. I am running 6.12.5. The file "pre_edit" is as you requested, immediately following a reboot with listening interface not functioning, and "post_edit" is after refreshing the listening interfaces (for comparison purposes if needed) as per OP's technique (quoted below).

On 7/28/2023 at 4:13 AM, Kedryn said:

add any character to the box to enable "Apply" button, delete the character, and press Apply, to make unraid listen to that interface again

castle-diagnostics-20231129-post_edit.zip castle-diagnostics-20231129-pre_edit.zip

• 1 month later...

Would a (slightly hacky) work around be to use userscripts and add the interface after start of the array (maybe build a few minute delay running it, to allow adequate time for docker to start), and remove it on array shutdown? 

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2024 at 11:42 AM, Monty said:

Would a (slightly hacky) work around be to use userscripts and add the interface after start of the array (maybe build a few minute delay running it, to allow adequate time for docker to start), and remove it on array shutdown? 

It seems to me this would work, does anyone have experience writing userscripts that could do this?

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2024 at 8:40 AM, mauriceatkinson@btconnect. said:

I have the same problem, I have waited so long for a solution I am planning to raise a paid support call as this seems like the only way to raise its profile in order to get it fixed.

I had a support session with @mauriceatkinson@btconnect. this evening to address this problem. Maurice and I tested a  script I made which you can run using user-scripts which fixes the issue.

I have posted the script and how to use it on my github   https://github.com/SpaceinvaderOne/Unraid-ZeroTier-Server-Restart-fix

• Like 3
On 12/3/2023 at 8:31 AM, dziewuliz said:

Any suggestion, how to automate the refreshing interfaces, so that it would happen on boot/restart? 

User script:
ifconfig eth0 down && ifconfig eth0 up

change eth0 to the interface in question to restart a interface.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, extremeaudio said:

Thanks, I can access the WEB UI now with this script. But accessing the samba shares at \\unraid-zerotier-ip-address still doesnt work

What is the ip interface of the samba config?

cat /etc/samba/smb.conf

is the interface ip the same as the ip for you zerotier ip address?

no, then its how your network bridged the setting and you need to edit the smb config manually...

yes, then restart samba:
/etc/rc.d/rc.samba restart

• Like 1
On 5/5/2024 at 10:17 PM, bmartino1 said:

What is the ip interface of the samba config?

cat /etc/samba/smb.conf

is the interface ip the same as the ip for you zerotier ip address?

Didn't understand your question.

On the local network I am able to access my server by typing \\192.168.1.49 into the Windows Explorer address bar. 

When connecting remotely using Zerotier, I use the Zerotier generated IP like \\10.140.25.49 

And obviously I use the same IP, like http://10.140.25.49 in a browser to access the web UI etc. Its the same IP for all remote access, just the port etc is different, obviously.

On 5/5/2024 at 1:43 PM, extremeaudio said:

Thanks, I can access the WEB UI now with this script. But accessing the samba shares at \\unraid-zerotier-ip-address still doesnt work

Check that netbios is set to disabled in smb settings on your server. This ciases an issue when enabled with samba over things like zerotier  tailscale etc

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1