unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta12a Available

limetech

Or he may be waiting for progress on the Slackware Linux / drivers front, as most if not all of the identified issues are NOT in the unRaid code that Tom developed.

As of 5.0b12a, he was at the newest Slackware version. I think he is waiting to see progress on some of the bugs that he has logged before packaging another beta release. 

This is, I think, the most logical explanation.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've noticed a couple times now that viewing the UNRAID website after many hours of inactivity can cause several drives to spin up - tonight six out of the seven data drives spun up but no mention of it in the syslog. Last entry was 15 hours ago when it was spinning down the drives after the mover ran.

When I tried viewing the website, it was slow to respond and I could hear the drives spinning up one at a time. When it did reply, it still indicated that all drives were spun down. Refreshing the page showed 6 out of 7 data drives had spun up.

I've noticed a couple times now that viewing the UNRAID website after many hours of inactivity can cause several drives to spin up - tonight six out of the seven data drives spun up but no mention of it in the syslog. Last entry was 15 hours ago when it was spinning down the drives after the mover ran.

When I tried viewing the website, it was slow to respond and I could hear the drives spinning up one at a time. When it did reply, it still indicated that all drives were spun down. Refreshing the page showed 6 out of 7 data drives had spun up.

I've noticed this too, but it's not anything new. Frustrating indeed, though I don't often access the page, so I've never really been that bothered. Right now it's the BLK_EH errors that are really starting to drive me mad.

Neil.

I've noticed a couple times now that viewing the UNRAID website after many hours of inactivity can cause several drives to spin up - tonight six out of the seven data drives spun up but no mention of it in the syslog.

I think that this has always been the case - annoying, but not the end of the world.

Im building a new build using this version. Is it recommended? or should i just stick with 4.7. Btw would like to use pyload, couch potato, airvideo and all that good stuff. Are those working with this version?

ANOTHER note why cant i download it from the site. Is it down? Can someone make me a mirror THANKS!

Im building a new build using this version. Is it recommended? or should i just stick with 4.7. Btw would like to use pyload, couch potato, airvideo and all that good stuff. Are those working with this version?

Depends on what hardware you plan on using (do not post that in this thread, create another in the hardware forum).

I have created unMenu packages for the applications you just mentioned, all of them should work just fine on either version of unRAID.

ANOTHER note why cant i download it from the site. Is it down? Can someone make me a mirror THANKS!

Downloads seem to be working fine for me

Does anyone else have shutdown issues? My box hangs in the shutdown process ever since 5.0 b11. With 5.0 b10 it shutsdown just fine when I press the power button. With anything after that (5.0 b12a included) it starts the shutdown process but never actually turns off ??

I did a new build with 5b12a - didn't work out so well; shutdown hangs, parity hangs, .  Start with 4.7, get the server up with devices assigned (no need for parity check) then upgrade to 5b12a.  That's what I wound up doing and now it works like a champ.  I'm running a Norco 4220 with SAS backplanes (7 drives so far) with unMenu and a bunch of the packages installed (email, shutdown, apcupsd) and it has been just fine.  A lot of people have been reporting problems running the same hardware but I've been lucky (or just less demanding of my system).

EDIT:  I am also running two Supermicro SASLP-MV8 cards with no problems.  Just wanted to add that fact - lots of people seem to think unRAID doesn't like them, but I'm not having any issues.

Lost write access to the usbkey after a lengthly 3 day server load.  I've attached the syslog below.  

Oct  3 08:07:12 Server1 kernel: FAT-fs (sde1): error, fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 0)
Oct  3 08:07:12 Server1 kernel: FAT-fs (sde1): Filesystem has been set read-only
Oct  3 08:07:12 Server1 kernel: FAT-fs (sde1): error, fat_get_cluster: invalid cluster chain (i_pos 0)

My unMenu package manager screen has gone blank, and it reports: "No Packages defined in package configuration file(s)"

Do I have problems with the usb boot key, or is this a software problem?

(beta 12a running for 7 days otherwise fine and no indication of these errors in previous syslogs)

syslog-2011-10-03.zip

Lost write access to the usbkey after a lengthly 3 day server load.  I've attached the syslog below.  

Oct  3 08:07:12 Server1 kernel: FAT-fs (sde1): Filesystem has been set read-only

My unMenu package manager screen has gone blank, and it reports: "No Packages defined in package configuration file(s)"

Do I have problems with the usb boot key, or is this a software problem?

(beta 12a running for 7 days otherwise fine and no indication of these errors in previous syslogs)

Your flash drive is having problems.  Shut down the unRAID server if you can. Take the flash drive to a windows machine and run check disk on it.  Then put it back in the unRAID machine and boot it back up.

Shut down the unRAID server if you can.

I'm trying, but the server is going unresponsive.  Powerdown from the command line doesn't work.  The shutdown command is still available though.  Is that any better then just pulling the power cord?

Any other ideas?

Message from syslogd@Server1 at Mon Oct  3 13:30:18 2011 ...
Server1 kernel: Oops: 0000 [#1] SMP

Server1 kernel: Process umount (pid: 8260, ti=f7610000 task=f0368360 task.ti=f7610000)

Server1 kernel: Stack:

Server1 kernel: Call Trace:

Server1 kernel: EIP: [<c1038811>] queue_delayed_work_on+0x33/0xbf SS:ESP 0068:f7611e34

Server1 kernel: CR2: 0000000000000000

Server1 kernel: Code: d6 53 89 c3 f0 0f ba 29 00 19 d2 31 c0 85 d2 0f 85 9d 00 00 00 83 79 10 00 74 04 0f 0b eb fe 8d 41 04 39 41 04 74 04 0f 0b eb fe <f6> 06 02 b8 08 00 00 00 75 19 89 c8 e8 02 e5 ff ff 85 c0 74 08

Got the same Shutdown problems, also from Telnet.

If you do it right after powering up it will work - I guess there is something in the code preventing the box from shutting down when it feels something could potentially access it.

Going back to b10, where it works ok, and hope for a solution from Tom.

It is the kernel Oops that is stopping the process.

Nothing would stop unRaid at all.  Even "shutdown now" would try but get no results.  After successfully stopping the array, I shut the power off, and pulled the flash drive, mounted it in Windows and ran chkdsk fixing file system errors in the "package" directory.  After fixing, the packages directory was gone and I reloaded it from a backup that I had done of the usb drive a few days earlier. 

Server is back up again, and parity is still valid.  Syslog doesn't show any errors with the flash drive.

Is this a one time event, or are others having problems with flash drive corruption too???

(Background, the server was just completing its first successful parity check when it went cuckoo)

Just want to chime in here....first time caller long time listerner.

Been beta with 5.7 onward. Started with pro and onboard AMD 710 SATA with a few issues. Migrated to Intel G41 with SAS2-mv8 card and nothing but issues. When it worked, it was fast, parity rebuild at 110+MBps. But would lock up regularily until it finally refused to go. Would boot up and once I started the array, no web gui, and no way to shutdown on command line. Tried to format 3 drives and it hung for days, only 1 drive formatted. Swapped to a P45 board and same deal, so removed sas2-mv8 and all is good in the world again. I am guessing that the support is just not there yet for this card, so I will just be happy with a working ICH10R setup, but sad 20MBps parity rebuild. Tried 12 and 12a, same results.

Cheers

Just want to chime in here....first time caller long time listerner.

Been beta with 5.7 onward. Started with pro and onboard AMD 710 SATA with a few issues. Migrated to Intel G41 with SAS2-mv8 card and nothing but issues. When it worked, it was fast, parity rebuild at 110+MBps. But would lock up regularily until it finally refused to go. Would boot up and once I started the array, no web gui, and no way to shutdown on command line. Tried to format 3 drives and it hung for days, only 1 drive formatted. Swapped to a P45 board and same deal, so removed sas2-mv8 and all is good in the world again. I am guessing that the support is just not there yet for this card, so I will just be happy with a working ICH10R setup, but sad 20MBps parity rebuild. Tried 12 and 12a, same results.

Cheers

The SASLP card you are referring to works perfectly fine in 4.7.  The update to the newer Linux Kernel in 5.0b12(a) seems to have some driver issues with this card.

I'm at a full slack build with b10 - and one sas supermicro card, it's been solid.  if i add another sas card, i quickly start to see errors.  I could swap either card back and forth and its fine, using one.  So, not sure if that helps but that's what I've seen.  I bought some adaptec 4 port sata cards to use along with the onboard and sas card.

Settings > Disk Settings > Enable auto start.

That said, mine doesn't seem to be sticking on Yes.

are you hitting apply and then done?

With that said I use the below code after the "/usr/local/sbin/emhhtp line" but before everything else in my go script to start the array:

# Start the array
echo "Starting the array"
sleep 30
/usr/bin/wget -q -O - localhost/update.htm >/dev/null
/usr/bin/wget -O - --post-data 'startState=STOPPED&cmdStart=Start' localhost/update.htm
sleep 120

Another issue with the flash drive going read only, and likely corrupted.  Packages directory on the flash was clobbered again.

(syslog attached.)

After the last problem, I successfully did a parity check, rebooted the server, and everything has been fine until now.

I may need to go back to 4.7 on this server.  What is the recommended procedure to go back?

I have 3tb drives that I will first have to downsize to 2.2 via:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11183.30

Hardware:

Supermicro X9SCM-F

Intel i3-2100 and 4 gig RAM

Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 8-Port

all in a Norco 4224

syslog-2011-10-05.zip

Another issue with the flash drive going read only, and likely corrupted.  Packages directory on the flash was clobbered again.

(syslog attached.)

After the last problem, I successfully did a parity check, rebooted the server, and everything has been fine until now.

I may need to go back to 4.7 on this server.  What is the recommended procedure to go back?

I have 3tb drives that I will first have to downsize to 2.2 via:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11183.30

Hardware:

Supermicro X9SCM-F

Intel i3-2100 and 4 gig RAM

Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 8-Port

all in a Norco 4224

Sounds like you need to run scandisk/chkdisk on the flash drive. 

There is no easy way to downgrade when you have 3TB disks...  I advise against that approach.

Sounds like you need to run scandisk/chkdisk on the flash drive.   

There is no easy way to downgrade when you have 3TB disks...  I advise against that approach.

Even with no data on a 3tb drive?

My 3 tb drives are parity, and an empty data drive.  I can clobber them without a problem.  I have 4 other 2tb drives loaded with data, and one empty 2tb drive.

I've switched to my backup flash drive to see if the problem is related to the flash drive and unRaid is back up running again.

I'm having no "noticeable" problems on the following Realtek driver:

driver: r8168

version: 8.025.00-NAPI

firmware-version:

bus-info: 0000:04:00.0

Ethernet config info (from ifconfig)

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1d:92:f7:b2:07 

inet addr:192.168.1.253  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:94503583 errors:0 dropped:201 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:26824738 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:3684214916 (3.4 GiB)  TX bytes:2257437802 (2.1 GiB)

Interrupt:45 Base address:0x8000

Where should I look for more detailed issues to help out?