unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta12a Available

limetech

l have a mixed environment 4.7 and 5b12a servers.  Presently the 5b12a is a backup of the 4.7 server, and this happens by rsync.  The problem, is each time rsync runs, I lose the ability to access some of the files from Win7 Ult on the 5b12a server.  I get:

Windows cannot access \\server1\disk3\pix2011\etc....

Yet on other folders access is still possible.  Running the permissions script seems to fix everything, but I cannot run this every day.

Is there  a way to have the permissions correctly set by rsync, or is this not possible...

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

l have a mixed environment 4.7 and 5b12a servers.  Presently the 5b12a is a backup of the 4.7 server, and this happens by rsync.  The problem, is each time rsync runs, I lose the ability to access some of the files from Win7 Ult on the 5b12a server.  I get:

Windows cannot access \\server1\disk3\pix2011\etc....

Yet on other folders access is still possible.  Running the permissions script seems to fix everything, but I cannot run this every day.

Is there  a way to have the permissions correctly set by rsync, or is this not possible...

Please ask this question in the lounge/customization area.  This has nothing to do with an error in 5.0b12a.  The basic gist is that the permissions style has changed greatly from the 4.7 server you are copying to the 5.0b12a server you are backing up to.  If you want to be able to match exactly you need to be running 4.7 on the backup server.

If you are using a cache drive does 5b12a ever spin it down? Mine seems to stay spinning unless I manually spin it down from the GUI.

my cache drive does not spin down either. I asked the same question a while back an didn't get a response.

I had also problems with the cache drive not spinning down, but when I set the spin down time (not default) for the cache drive in the main screen it always worked.

Maybe not, but if he/she paid for the product, I can see the frustration being somewhat justified!

I dug this up from 11 months ago (November 2010)

Quote from: MikeL on November 12, 2010, 05:39:05 PM

4.5 went to B-13, at this rate 5.0 will not be final for 2-3 years (Maybe longer!) if it also takes 13 betas.

Negative.. Tom mentioned (on Nov 1st) that beta-3 will actually be 5.0 "final", and he will start working on 5.1. It's unclear however if 5.0 "final" will include AFP support or if this is scheduled for 5.1 (his comment is a bit vague).

I would expect 5.0 final before the end of year (fingers crossed

It looks as if I am going to be the one that was the closest. Almost to B13, but also almost a year later. Oh, by the way! B3 was not final, and it DID NOT make final by the end of 2010.

Jesus, Limetech, get it done !!

This in no way helps anything

These kinds of rants are pretty common with unRAID.  Look back through the lengthy threads here.  Nothing positive has ever come from them.  Tom does not enter the debate, even with some pretty intense flames (far worse than above).

Although I am not defending these periods where Tom is unresponsive, I have come to accept them as part of the deal.  Free updates for life.  That's a pretty nice perk.  But it is on Tom's timetable.  (And he does change the timetable and his plans as you've learned.)

I still feel that Tom is waiting for some stability improvements in Slackware.  Tom is not the one writing the Realtek 8111E driver for Slackware.

If you have specific issues that affect your data integrity / parity protection, and are not getting answers here, email Tom directly.  Otherwise, sit tight.  Tom will be back with a new version eventually.  In the mean time, between 4.7 and the various 5.x betas,  you should be able to find a version that works well enough to protect your data and be able to use your array.

I have come to accept them as part of the deal.  Free updates for life.  That's a pretty nice perk.

Yes, it is a nice perk, but seeing as how it's been 15 months since 5.0-beta1, I would much rather pay a fee for major updates than wait, especially because the addition of 3+ TB drives is so important to so many of us.

3.0 Final = October 2006

4.0 Final = May 2007

5.0-beta1 = July 2010

5.0-beta12a = September 2011

I understand both sides of the argument, but trying to shut down the dissenting voices I think serves the community poorly. If anything, knowing that I'm not alone in my frustration makes me feel a bit better about being frustrated.

In everything in life,

you pays your money

and

you takes your chances.....

While I understand and share the frustration, having just purchased 2 more pro keys in anticipation of ver 5, I have to admit that what we have now is still pretty good.  We just all have very high expectations.....

I've held my tongue, mostly out of respect, but also because I don't think it gets us anywhere. Having said that, it has been nearly a month since Tom's last activity on these forums; our only source of status updates.

I understand that Tom has a life of his own, and that it's far more productive to put your head down and try to fix problems, rather than spend time chatting on the forums. I also understand that most of the issues that users are facing these days (e.g. BLK_EH errors and Realtek LAN issues) may very well be linked to the Linux Kernel and drivers that Tom doesn't control.

unRAID however, is a product that we've paid for, and for most new users there isn't any reliable options available to us. 4.7 final has a known issue that Tom's mentioned in the past which to my knowledge still isn't fixed. More importantly though is that 4.7 doesn't support much of the newer hardware that we're all forced to buy now due to lack of availability on the older kit; for many of us... 5.0beta is the only option.

I think the most frustrating thing is that for nearly a month we don't know what is going on, and what he's working on. I personally agree with the speculation that Tom is likely investigating the drivers / kernel issues, but let's not forget this is speculation. My suggestion to Tom, should he choose to ignore it or otherwise, is to use a one-way method of communication (so as not to get bogged down in conversations) for status updates, what's being worked on, apologies etc. A blog would be an ideal place to put this information or in today's age of social networking, even a twitter message saying 'Sorry about the delays, these Realtek drivers are a real bitch, new build for the weekend... I hope'.

I also think that the resources out there, the community of users, might actually be able to help solve a lot of the problems...

I'm not suggesting that Limetech release the source code of all the work, as I can see that this does have considerable value to other commercial storage providers; if Tom wishes to keep his hard work closed source then I can't fault him for that. There are however other similar software developments which are closed source, but do allow a closed group of 'Friends' to assist in certain areas.

Plex is a good example of this, where there are only a few (originally just a couple) of developers who own the code. There are several other developers who get involved out of love, and don't expect anything in return. In addition to this, they also have an extended group of advanced testers who help with troubleshooting new versions, making use of real time chat tools etc.

unRAID goes some way towards this goal, but stops short of really making the most of the resources available, and this fact adds further frustration to the lack of communication.

Please understand that I'm not trying to flame here, I am a frustrated user, but I did know that I was buying into the 'beta' versions when I started, and for the most part I have been happy with unRAID :)

I hope Tom comes out of hiding soon, ideally with a solution to my BLK_EH problem ;)

Nezil,

Just wanted to let you know - I'm running the same controller you are, and I do not get those errors.  I built a second server about a month ago and, basically, didn't follow the directions...I took my second flash key, upgraded it to 5.0b12a, put it in my new server, fired it up and had nothing but problems.  Shutdown hangs, couldn't access web page, missing pieces of the interface, permissions issues, etc - and that was WITHOUT installing additional packages like unMenu.  I removed the flash key, reset it to 4.7, then followed the instructions:  boot up server with 4.7 according to upgrade instructions, then jump to 5.0b12a (again, following the instructions on the wiki).  Following that upgrade, I've had one shutdown hang and that appears to have been related to a network DHCP issue.  Server works perfectly, shuts down every night at 2300, WOL at 1000 every day, unMenu and lots of other packages installed, no problems.  One note:  I do not have a cache drive installed - that may be an important difference.  I only have seven drives installed (including parity), four of those are on the motherboard and three on the controller card.  After I install two more drives, I'll be using the second card - we'll see if that causes problems.  I'm running all 2 TB EARS and EARX (BTW - EARX drives ROCK.  Don't know what the secret sauce is, but EARX drives format and mount lightning fast).

If you have 3TB drives and can't fire up 4.7, I'd suggest removing those 3TB drives, get your array going with 4.7, upgrade then reinstall the 3TBs.  

My build is significantly different to yours (the 20 drive "beast" - http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Compatibility#20_Drive_Beast) - basically every component EXCEPT the controller, so there could be other hardware related issues as well.  But I think Limetech and other users should know there are builds that don't have these problems.

Best,

Phil

Thanks for your suggestions Phil, though I think I see why you're not having any problems... If I were to restart my server once per day, I think I wouldn't notice any issues either.

The only serious issue I have is the BLK_EH errors, but the only seem to happen after the server has been on for around 2 days. Oddly (a least odd to my mind) is that they tend to happen when the server isn't doing anything. It's not related to drive spin down from what I can see, because my log files have lots of spin downs and no issues.

Good tip on the EARX drives, I don't have any 3TB drives yet, and don't think I'll need any soon. I have 6 2TB drives now, and 9 1TB. I'm swapping out the 1TB drives as I need more space, and was thinking of swapping 2 of them pretty soon. I was going to get EARS as they're 'known good' but EARX are no more expensive here.

Neil.

The only serious issue I have is the BLK_EH errors, but the only seem to happen after the server has been on for around 2 days. Oddly (a least odd to my mind) is that they tend to happen when the server isn't doing anything. It's not related to drive spin down from what I can see, because my log files have lots of spin downs and no issues.

I have the exact same issues as you describe above.

I've been waiting for quite some time to get feedback, but radio silence seems to be normal.

As I can't continue my project and part of my business I am moving towards another platform called FreeNAS. Another option would be ZFSguru.

The current SATA controllers "AOC-SASLP-MV8" also have issues with FreeNAS. I've purchased IBM M1015 SATA RAID cards (rebranded LSI cards). I will be flashing them to IT-mode to remove the RAID functionality as FreeNAS works best with its OS having full harddrive control.

It seems that these IBM/LSI cards (reading through unRAID topics) work fine with unRAID, so I might still be able to use my purchased Pro key after all.

Isn't it free updates for the life of the flash drive? Those will not last the life of most members. If I get one that last 4-5 years, I consider myself lucky. So if you bought a pair, and saved the second as a backup, the best you can hope for is maybe 8-10 years before needing to purchase unraid again. Right? (But many of us have two unraid servers, so 10 years is out of the question!)

These kinds of rants are pretty common with unRAID.  Look back through the lengthy threads here.  Nothing positive has ever come from them.  Tom does not enter the debate, even with some pretty intense flames (far worse than above).

Although I am not defending these periods where Tom is unresponsive, I have come to accept them as part of the deal.  Free updates for life.  That's a pretty nice perk.  But it is on Tom's timetable.  (And he does change the timetable and his plans as you've learned.)

I still feel that Tom is waiting for some stability improvements in Slackware.  Tom is not the one writing the Realtek 8111E driver for Slackware.

If you have specific issues that affect your data integrity / parity protection, and are not getting answers here, email Tom directly.  Otherwise, sit tight.  Tom will be back with a new version eventually.  In the mean time, between 4.7 and the various 5.x betas,  you should be able to find a version that works well enough to protect your data and be able to use your array.

Until we have a solution to the BLK_EH_NOT_HANDLED errors, can I suggest the following that might help users with the issue:

I'm assuming here that the first BLK_EH_NOT_HANDLED error doesn't lock up your system, and it's the second one that does this. That's the 100% repeatable experience I have, so I've come up with a simple loop that looks for the presence of the first offending line in the syslog every 10 minutes. If the line is found, it stops the array, and starts a controlled reboot.

This is far from an ideal solution, but it should mean that your system is always available, and won't need a hard reset to get it going again.

Create a file on your flash drive with the following contents:

#!/bin/bash
while [ ! `cat /var/log/syslog | grep BLK_EH_NOT_HANDLED` ]; do
        sleep 600
done

# Access a blank page in case this is first request since startup.
/usr/bin/wget -q -O - localhost/update.htm >/dev/null

# Have emhttp do all the work as if user clicked 'Stop' in webGui.
/usr/bin/wget -q -O - localhost/update.htm?cmdStop=apply >/dev/null

# Have emhttp do all the work as if user clicked 'Reboot' in webGui.
/usr/bin/wget -q -O - localhost/update.htm?reboot=apply > /dev/null

And then a line calling for it in the go script:

/boot/custom/BLK.sh &

in my case.

Until we have a solution to the BLK_EH_NOT_HANDLED errors, can I suggest the following that might help users with the issue:

I'm assuming here that the first BLK_EH_NOT_HANDLED error doesn't lock up your system, and it's the second one that does this. That's the 100% repeatable experience I have, so I've come up with a simple loop that looks for the presence of the first offending line in the syslog every 10 minutes. If the line is found, it stops the array, and starts a controlled reboot.

This is far from an ideal solution, but it should mean that your system is always available, and won't need a hard reset to get it going again.

Create a file on your flash drive with the following contents:

#!/bin/bash
while [ ! `cat /var/log/syslog | grep BLK_EH_NOT_HANDLED` ]; do
        sleep 600
done

# Access a blank page in case this is first request since startup.
/usr/bin/wget -q -O - localhost/update.htm >/dev/null

# Have emhttp do all the work as if user clicked 'Stop' in webGui.
/usr/bin/wget -q -O - localhost/update.htm?cmdStop=apply >/dev/null

# Have emhttp do all the work as if user clicked 'Reboot' in webGui.
/usr/bin/wget -q -O - localhost/update.htm?reboot=apply > /dev/null

And then a line calling for it in the go script:

/boot/custom/BLK.sh &

in my case.

Um... if your in the middle of watching/using your server when this happens and the scripts runs you are pretty much FUBAR.