unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc6-r8168-test Available

You did notice the hundreds of

Aug 14 14:48:20 Tower kernel: scsi_verify_blk_ioctl: 32 callbacks suppressed
Aug 14 14:48:20 Tower kernel: hdparm: sending ioctl 2285 to a partition!
Aug 14 14:48:27 Tower last message repeated 5 times

entries in your log ?

Ok what do they mean??

Can anyone tell me what these entries mean and what I should do about it?

That question is a forum search away.. It is a bug in the Simplefeatures email addon, no need to worry about it:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=20560.0

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It been more than a month and no rc7 or final.

Some users are still having problems.  Ideally the final version will be stable for all users, independent of hardware.  If one of the releases available currently works for you there is nothing wrong with considering it your "personal final".  If there is some sort of regression from that build in future versions, notes should indicate it.  Tom has been forthcoming about changes, and how they affect the releases.

While I understand why so many users want a 5.0 release, I can't understand the desire for a 5.0 release that is not complete/final and doesn't work properly with the hardware that is generally accepted to work by the community. 

same for me, all betas have  been very solid.  The only issue I have had is my shares dissapeared the other day and I don't have a reason as to why yet, as nobody can seem to tell from my syslog what happened.

The SimpleFeatures and the bugs that go with those plugins are my only issue, as indicated in above posts.

I still vote for FINAL.  :)

I had my shares dissapearing a week or so ago, but that was my own fault... I excluded some drives from use by the array (from disk settings), and apparently if there are no disks authorised to use with a share they dissapear (ofcourse until the drives are enabled again, then all is back again). Maybe you were playing around with something like that ?

no, I actually wans't even home and my family went to watch a movie and said it was erroring out.  When I got home I found that we were unable to reach any shares, from the pch the pc, etc.  This happened all on it's own.  the reboot fixed it but that should not of happened.

I'm still waiting to see if anyone can figure out any clues from my syslog, but so far no luck.

no, I actually wans't even home and my family went to watch a movie and said it was erroring out.  When I got home I found that we were unable to reach any shares, from the pch the pc, etc.  This happened all on it's own.  the reboot fixed it but that should not of happened.

I'm still waiting to see if anyone can figure out any clues from my syslog, but so far no luck.

As mentioned in my previous post, you did not post your complete syslog (when the file gets to big it wraps to a new file). The posted syslog did not show the cause of your errors.

SMB must have crashed (are you accessing thru SMB ?),, Syslog should show that..

Yes, I am using SMB.

For the syslog, I'm confused, to say the least. :)

I provided the log from my server on the 13th 4:40.  I didn't restart at 4:40 am, I was in bed.  The starting point shows Restart at the beginning and then right up to Aug 14 7:36pm (ish) when I had tried to trigger the SMB to re-share everything, and then when that didn't work I restarted the server.  There is no other syslog on my system for this timeframe.  What is really weird, is the log before this was dated Aug 7, then and that one ends on Aug  7 6:45am.  Then the one I uploaded here started on Aug 13 4:40.  Where is the log for in between Aug 7 6:45 to Aug 13 4:40??  I'm looking in boot\logs\

Why and how could a syslog be missing?  My server did not crash and was running the entire time.

Has anyone had a syslog just dissapear? Maybe this is related to why the SMB stopped working.  Again, when looking at the system at that time, my shares were all gone.  The reboot brought them back.

How can you tell that it isn't complete? 

What is the size limit before it splits and creates a new syslog file?

Ok, thanks Joe.  I had already rebooted and that is how I got my shares back, so I guess the logs didn't write to boot\logs and that timeframe is gone.  I guess I'll have to wait and see if this issue happens again, and next time I will get those var\logs before rebooting.

What is the size before they get rotated out?  And, does it write the log to \boot\logs\ when it does that?

So, the server will write the live logs to var\logs while the server is up and running.  Then when shutting down it writes them to boot/logs/ folder on the flash drive, is that correct?  I'm just trying to understand the flow so I can watch for this to happen again.

Thanks!

Ok, thanks Joe.  I had already rebooted and that is how I got my shares back, so I guess the logs didn't write to boot\logs and that timeframe is gone.  I guess I'll have to wait and see if this issue happens again, and next time I will get those var\logs before rebooting.

What is the size before they get rotated out?  And, does it write the log to \boot\logs\ when it does that?

So, the server will write the live logs to var\logs while the server is up and running.  Then when shutting down it writes them to boot/logs/ folder on the flash drive, is that correct?  I'm just trying to understand the flow so I can watch for this to happen again.

Thanks!

unRAID ONLY writes to /var/logs.

If you have some add-on that saves to the /boot flash drive on shutting down, that is entirely a local customization.  I have no idea how you have that configured.

Thanks, I'll go check that.  I guess the Simplefeatures was writing the logs to boot/logs

So if I understand correctly, you have to go get the logs BEFORE you restart in the var/ directory because they are wipped on a reboot, correct?

If that is true, I'll have to wait for another incident so I can get the live logs.

started a fresh unraid server, but now on the latest rc and my pro.key in /boot/config isnt working? am i doing something wrong?

You'll need to be more specific. What isn't working? What appears on the screen?

Just asking the "have you turned it off and on again" question:  Are you still using your same USB drive ? If you are using a new one it will not work since the key is linked to the specific usb drive ..

started a fresh unraid server, but now on the latest rc and my pro.key in /boot/config isnt working? am i doing something wrong?

You'll need to be more specific. What isn't working? What appears on the screen?

Just asking the "have you turned it off and on again" question:  Are you still using your same USB drive ? If you are using a new one it will not work since the key is linked to the specific usb drive ..

yeah, exactly the same usb drive. tried turning it on/off, deleting the ._Pro.key, different port. Nothing seems to work. I think it might be corrupt? How do i get it replaced, email the support?

Make sure there is only one file with a .key name on the flash drive. (in either the /boot directory, or in the /boot/config directory)  Unraid uses the first with the string "key" it finds.

This could explain why its working on my production server with the key file in the /boot directory... It doesn't explain why my test server was unregistered with the key file in the config directory, and became registered when I moved it to the root. Although the latter could be because my testfile contains pro1.key and pro2.key and maybe the file order changed when moving them...