Out of Office until Oct 3

limetech

@jumperalex

I couldn't tell if you guys were being sarcastic or not. I think I got across everything I meant to in my first post, the 2nd one just complicated it... sorry bout that

I think you and I are on the same page with our "hopes" for future communications from Tom...

Apologies if you felt I was calling you out unnecessarily

( :

Of course I want the same as everyone else. I sometimes elect to be patient and silly as possible.

I was just being Facetious

fa·ce·tious  [fuh-see-shuh?s]

adjective

1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetiousremark.

2. amusing; humorous.

3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instant gratification?

October 3rd was the return date, it's now October 27th.

are you implying he hasn't returned? ;)

to be honest i never encountered these enormousness bugs 4.7 is supposed to have.

sure i would be nice to be able to upgrade the hard drives to larger sizes but don't feel for running an RC. It will come when it comes. Will tom will ever change his way of communication? don't know but the yapping wont help a bit.

just relax ^^

Every topic on here regarding releases seems to turn into a war about communication between Tom and the rest of us. As far as I'm concerned it is what it is, and I knew that going in so can hardly complain.

On the other hand, I do think that some users on here forget that unRAID is a paid product, and its not unreasonable for users to expect some communication.

This is a paid product, and users do expect a certain amount of support. While we should not grudge Tom's his vacation time, his post prior to that was that the V5 final version release was imminent. I, for one is waiting for it.  While there might be unforeseen delays, those reasons should be communicated and a new timetable given. I do not think that is too much too ask, rather than let the forum become a battleground for those who complain and those who think complaining is unwarranted.

Sure, it's a paid product...but as far as I know, no one has bought V5.0 yet.  ::)

I could understand if people were having legitimate communication issues concerning V4.7, but most of the agitation by license holders seems to be over the slow release of a free upgrade.

I want a stable V5.0 as much as the next guy and I do believe communication is the best way to run a business, but I don't feel cheated because of the lack of timely upgrades.

This is a paid product, and users do expect a certain amount of support. While we should not grudge Tom's his vacation time, his post prior to that was that the V5 final version release was imminent. I, for one is waiting for it.  While there might be unforeseen delays, those reasons should be communicated and a new timetable given. I do not think that is too much too ask, rather than let the forum become a battleground for those who complain and those who think complaining is unwarranted.

A new release has nothing to do with support. Who has reached out to Tom for support and not gotten it? I have and I received the support I needed. I've seen similar stories across the forum. Lets not confuse things.

Sure, it's a paid product...but as far as I know, no one has bought V5.0 yet.  ::)

I could understand if people were having legitimate communication issues concerning V4.7, but most of the agitation by license holders seems to be over the slow release of a free upgrade.

I want a stable V5.0 as much as the next guy and I do believe communication is the best way to run a business, but I don't feel cheated because of the lack of timely upgrades.

I just paid for UnRaid last month, and one of the reason I decided to purchase was based on the feature set promised in V5. I never used 4.7. So basically I paid for a beta product, with the implication that the final release is imminent.

There is two issues that I want to raise:-

1. There are many users here, some old and some new. One should not reference on own case, and judge everybody using the same criteria. In your case, you bought 4.7 and anything else that came afterward you treat as a bonus. That's well and fine, but what about new users who bought because of the promised feature set of 5? We will have different expectations from people that purchase 4.7 and used it for years as the case may be.

2. The next issue is about managing customer's expectations. There is simply a lack of effort to communicate this to the customers. I do not think I am unreasonable, and I rather the final release is delayed than have a buggy release that trashed my data, however, a simple update every week or so to updates customers will go a long way to managing customer's expectations. Tom may be a busy man, but a simple update post should not take more than 15 minutes of his time.

I am using Unraid for the past month, and graduated to this because have too many NAS devices, 2 x Synology, 1 X D-Link, 1 X Thecus. Unraid allows me to consolidate all these NAS into one big one and therefore much easier to manage. This will be a product I will recommend to my friends BUT for the software release issues.

I just paid for UnRaid last month, and one of the reason I decided to purchase was based on the feature set promised in V5. I never used 4.7. So basically I paid for a beta product, with the implication that the final release is imminent.

I agree with your sentiment. However, I don't empathize with buying beta products under the expectation that it will meet your needs in the future. If you buy Unraid today, it should be for the feature set available in V4.7. If you want to use V5.0, either wait for the final release or accept using buggy software (potentially forever).

It's not an ideal situation, but those are the cards.

I agree with your sentiment. However, I don't empathize with buying beta products under the expectation that it will meet your needs in the future. If you buy Unraid today, it should be for the feature set available in V4.7. If you want to use V5.0, either wait for the final release or accept using buggy software (potentially forever).

It's not an ideal situation, but those are the cards.

That's one way to look at it, but don't expect this strategy to win new customers or even run a business!

That's one way to look at it, but don't expect this strategy to win new customers or even run a business!
Since he's been running his business the same way for many years, I would say it's working out just fine for him. If you can do it better, then there is undoubtedly a great deal of money to be made, so I suggest you fill the need and start a company that fits your business model. When you have your software ready, be sure to let us know. Based on the number of complaints here, I'm sure you'll have loads of paying customers.
It is always better to over-communicate than under-communicate (or not at all).

Not always

I don't think think Tom is a fool, I think he is comfortable allowing others to fill that role.

Telling someone else what to do, or how to do their job when you are not their boss is not usually received well.

It's his company, and he's heard all this many times over in the past. You all are wasting your time and energy getting worked up about something you can't control.

And I'm wasting my time feeding the trolls.

Tom does what he wants. It's the blessing (and curse) of running your own company. If he decides it's more productive to ignore complaints and spend that time fixing issues, that's his call.

Since he's been running his business the same way for many years, I would say it's working out just fine for him. If you can do it better, then there is undoubtedly a great deal of money to be made, so I suggest you fill the need and start a company that fits your business model. When you have your software ready, be sure to let us know. Based on the number of complaints here, I'm sure you'll have loads of paying customers.

I think I want chicken for dinner...so I better get started on my chicken farm.

Not always

I don't think think Tom is a fool, I think he is comfortable allowing others to fill that role.

Telling someone else what to do, or how to do their job when you are not their boss is not usually received well.

It's his company, and he's heard all this many times over in the past. You all are wasting your time and energy getting worked up about something you can't control.

Tom does what he wants. It's the blessing (and curse) of running your own company. If he decides it's more productive to ignore complaints and spend that time fixing issues, that's his call.

I am not too sure who the troll in this case, as you seem to take the stance NOBODY has the right to complain. If paying customers cannot or not allowed to complain, then may I ask who has the right?

I think I want chicken for dinner...so I better get started on my chicken farm.

Or look for a different source for your chicken. If you don't like the way you are being treated by the business owner, you can vote with your feet and go elsewhere.

Not always

I am not too sure who the troll in this case, as you seem to take the stance NOBODY has the right to complain. If paying customers cannot or not allowed to complain, then may I ask who has the right?

Paying customers can complain about the product they bought and paid for. Not future products that are still in development. You bought a license for 4.7 final. Tom graciously allows use of the license to run later versions, but all versions after 4.7 are not final product yet, and are subject to change as the bugs get worked out. Complaining that a new version isn't coming out fast enough to suite you isn't productive. Complain all you want, just don't expect sympathy.

Agree on the close, but also..

People are making to big a deal on the "beta" status of V5. There are a lot of products that would have been full release allready with "known shortcommings". The fact that Tom is still making beta versions of V5 for me means that I am getting more and more features and stuff..  V5 is running rock solid, and the fact that certain hardware combinations might still have an issue is not something that would withhold someone else from release a full version..

I mean, seriously, if Tom would come out with a the next release and called it V5 final everybody would be ok but with bet a XYZ we're not ?  That's just weird..

I mean, seriously, if Tom would come out with a the next release and called it V5 final everybody would be ok but with bet a XYZ we're not ?  That's just weird..

Indeed - I keep wondering what's in a name!  V4.7 has at least two faults, already fixed in the v5 beta cycle, which prejudice data integrity, yet many people refuse to move to v5 because it "isn't stable".

Indeed - I keep wondering what's in a name!  V4.7 has at least two faults, already fixed in the v5 beta cycle, which prejudice data integrity, yet many people refuse to move to v5 because it "isn't stable".

Actually, I think 4.7 has three known bugs that will corrupt data fixed in the 5.0-rc8a release, not two.

1.  The bug where a "write" to a disk could be lost during a re-construction or parity calc.  Work-around, do NOT write to an array during a re-construction or initial parity calc.

2.  The bug where an MBR on existing disks will be overwritten and result in it pointing to the WRONG sector. (this occurs when the super.dat file on the flash drive is rebuilt.... as when a flash drive dies and is replaced)  No work-around other than to keep a backup of your config folder, just in case your flash drive fails.

3.  The bug where a temporary file created on a disk, when renamed to the original name in a user-share other than the original physical disk does not unlink the original file, resulting in a duplicate file error AND the original contents NOT being re-written, leading to potential data loss.  No work-around, the use of temporary files is common on many file transfer/copy programs.  This bug exists on all but the very most recent 5. releases.

Joe L.