What do you want in a custom unRAID package (BubbaRaid)

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also having problems to get work unraid_notify... this is the error I got when I try to send a test e-mail:

Sending unraid_notify test e-mail...

/usr/bin/unraid_notify: line 327: [: 21: unary operator expected

/usr/bin/unraid_notify: line 327: [: 22: unary operator expected

/usr/bin/unraid_notify: line 388: [: 619: unary operator expected

/usr/bin/unraid_notify: line 396: [: 1: unary operator expected

/usr/bin/bashmail: line 38: --port: Name or service not known

/usr/bin/bashmail: line 38: /dev/tcp/--port/25: Invalid argument

Done!

I am using the same config. from prostuff1 (with my gmail user/pass).

My server has internet access (ping to www.yahoo.com is OK) and proper DNS configured. I also installed socat (socat-1.7.0.0-i486-2bj.tgz) using UnMENU package manager, but is still not working. syslog file don't show anything about unraid_notify.

HW config: SuperMicro Official UnRAID MB, Celeron Dual-Core, 2GB RAM, 8 Seagate 1.5TB (including parity + cache) + 4 PCI SATA cards.

SW config: BubbaRaid Version 0.01.17-Beta | UnRAID version: 4.4.2 | ProKey | Only Lighttpd and U-Notify running

Note: I just install the server few hours ago and my parity drive is still sync-in-progress.

Any idea in how can I fix this? Email notification is a main feature for me.

BTW: Great work Bubba!

Regards,

chopeta

I am also having problems to get work unraid_notify... this is the error I got when I try to send a test e-mail:

Sending unraid_notify test e-mail...

/usr/bin/unraid_notify: line 388: [: 619: unary operator expected

/usr/bin/unraid_notify: line 396: [: 1: unary operator expected

/usr/bin/bashmail: line 38: --port: Name or service not known

Done!

I am using the same config. from prostuff1 (with my gmail user/pass).

My server has internet access (ping to www.yahoo.com is OK) and proper DNS configured. I also installed socat (socat-1.7.0.0-i486-2bj.tgz) using UnMENU package manager, but is still not working. syslog file don't show anything about unraid_notify.

HW config: SuperMicro Official UnRAID MB, Celeron Dual-Core, 2GB RAM, 8 Seagate 1.5TB (including parity + cache) + 4 PCI SATA cards.

SW config: BubbaRaid Version 0.01.17-Beta | UnRAID version: 4.4.2 | ProKey | Only Lighttpd and U-Notify running

Note: I just install the server few hours ago and my parity drive is still sync-in-progress.

Any idea in how can I fix this? Email notification is a main feature for me.

BTW: Great work Bubba!

Regards,

chopeta

Since unraid_notify is a shell script, you can debug it yourself by running it as

sh -xv unraid_notify.sh test-email...

For the "test" command to be returning so many errors it indicates to me that the script could use some improvement as it probably on line 327 has something like

if [ $variable = $second ]

If either variable is null, the syntax is wrong since it evaluates to something like

if [ VALUE = ]

or

if [ = VALUE2 ]

The test can be coded to handle missing data and not error out by adding quote marks like this:

if [ "$variable" = "$second" ]

Now, if either variable is null, the test is still valid as

if [ "" = "VALUE2" ]

or

if [ "VALUE1" = "" ]

Running the script with the sh -xv will show you the lines as they execute and the variables as they are evaluated.

To capture the output, you can do something like this:

sh -xv unraid_notify.sh test-email  2>&1 | tee output.txt

The output will be sent to the screen AND also to a file named output.txt

The rest is only possible on your system.  If you have trouble interperting the output in "output.txt" zip it up and post it (after deleting any passwords/email addresses you do not wish to make public)

Joe L.

I looked at the script.

There are lots of places in the code where the test command does not have the "quotes" to make it less likely to error when confronted with bad data, but at around line 327 I see this code

sDiskTemp="$diskTemp$sDegree"
 if [ $diskTemp -ge $iMaxDiskTemp ]
 then

If a given disk does not report its temperature, the test will fail exactly as you are showing.    It appears as if unraid_notify uses "smartctl" to get the disk temperature.

On the past few releases of unRAID, the smartctl command is missing a support library.  Without it, it cannot run, and cannot get the disk temperature.

To install the missing library is not hard.  See this thread for details.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3388.msg29182#msg29182

You can fix that one line in unraid_notify with the test (-ge = "greater than or equal") by adding the missing quote marks:

From

To

if [ "$diskTemp" -ge "$iMaxDiskTemp" ]

If you do edit the file, use an editor that does NOT put DOS style CR/LF pairs at the ends of the lines or you will introduce syntax errors.

Joe L.

I looked at the script.

There are lots of places in the code where the test command does not have the "quotes" to make it less likely to error when confronted with bad data, but at around line 327 I see this code

sDiskTemp="$diskTemp$sDegree"
                then

If a given disk does not report its temperature, the test will fail exactly as you are showing.    It appears as if unraid_notify uses "smartctl" to get the disk temperature.

On the past few releases of unRAID, the smartctl command is missing a support library.  Without it, it cannot run, and cannot get the disk temperature.

To install the missing library is not hard.  See this thread for details.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3388.msg29182#msg29182

You can fix that one line in unraid_notify with the test (-ge = "greater than or equal") by adding the missing quote marks:

From

To

if [ "$diskTemp" -ge "$iMaxDiskTemp" ]

If you do edit the file, use an editor that does NOT put DOS style CR/LF pairs at the ends of the lines or you will introduce syntax errors.

Joe L.

This is why you are great to have around this forum.  I would never have figured that out.  After reading about the library not being included I went ahead and installed it, so i would never have guessed that the missing library was causing the problem.

Perhaps someone (smarter then me) needs to take a look at the unraid_notify script and edit it to make it more reliable.

EDIT:  So i went ahead and filled out the Email Notification section of the unRAID wiki to reflect that the unraid_notify script exists.  I also added a blurb in there about needing the library with instructions on how to install it.

New to unRaid, and after a rough start of snapping in half my USB flash drive, and another server of mine crapping out after removing a hard drive to move over to unRaid, I think I got things up and running and my array is all ready to go.

I have 2 issues though with bubbaraid. I can not seem to get U-Notify to work for me. I copied the configuration posted in this post and Instead of random line errors like some users have reported it now appears like it wants to send the mail but in the end it fails.  If I click send a test mail I get a pop up window that shows it connecting to my mail server, but then it displays

> DATA

< 354 enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself

> .

And never completes and I have never once received an email.

Then my other issue is more of just a suggestion. Please upgrade NZBget to support SSL as I am really digging this newsgroup feature... If I am missing a quick work around for this then please point me around but on my quick searching it appears bubbaraid needs to upgrade the included NZBget, and then also another package or two would be required.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get U-Notify to function?  I am using a basic port 25 smtp that requires no authentication.

-Josh

I was not able to get it working with a basic no login required mail server either so I changed it to use my gmail account.

dave

New to unRaid, and after a rough start of snapping in half my USB flash drive, and another server of mine crapping out after removing a hard drive to move over to unRaid, I think I got things up and running and my array is all ready to go.

I have 2 issues though with bubbaraid. I can not seem to get U-Notify to work for me. I copied the configuration posted in this post and Instead of random line errors like some users have reported it now appears like it wants to send the mail but in the end it fails.  If I click send a test mail I get a pop up window that shows it connecting to my mail server, but then it displays

> DATA

< 354 enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself

> .

And never completes and I have never once received an email.

Then my other issue is more of just a suggestion. Please upgrade NZBget to support SSL as I am really digging this newsgroup feature... If I am missing a quick work around for this then please point me around but on my quick searching it appears bubbaraid needs to upgrade the included NZBget, and then also another package or two would be required.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get U-Notify to function?  I am using a basic port 25 smtp that requires no authentication.

-Josh

I would have thought no authentication would have been the easier one to get working... As you stated though this does seem to be broke. I went ahead and used Gmail as welll and it appears my emails are now going through...

Thanks,

Josh

I was not able to get it working with a basic no login required mail server either so I changed it to use my gmail account.

dave

Talking about additions I thought I would post my go2 script as these are things I add to bubbaraid and thought someone else might find them useful.  These are a collection of things from the forum, and what I've come up with on my own.

# rsync needs a password file for remote access so copy it over and start rsync

# Enable rsync for backups

cp /boot/config/secrets /etc/rsyncd.secrets

chmod 400 /etc/rsyncd.secrets

rsync --daemon --config=/boot/config/rsyncd.conf

#install packages for unraid_notify

installpkg /boot/packages/cxxlibs-6.0.8-i486-4.tgz

installpkg /boot/packages/socat-1.7.0.0-i486-2bj.tgz

# I use nc and a script to provide a default mail program

installpkg /boot/packages/nc-1.10-i386-1.tgz

cp /boot/config/mail /usr/bin/mail

# Change apcupsd files so that I get email when something happens to the UPS

# This work in conjunction with the mail program above, as apcupsd is setup to email

# alerts already.

sed -i -e "s/SYSADMIN=root/[email protected]/" /etc/apcupsd/offbattery

sed -i -e "s/SYSADMIN=root/[email protected]/" /etc/apcupsd/onbattery

sed -i -e "s/SYSADMIN=root/[email protected]/" /etc/apcupsd/commok

sed -i -e "s/SYSADMIN=root/[email protected]/" /etc/apcupsd/commfailure

You could just change permissions once and then modify the samba config files to create directories and files with the correct permissions.

Slimserver...

As other experience Slimserver cant see my music files, and the remedy seems to change permissions, and repeat when adding files.

Is it possible to change what user Slimserver is using or add the slimserver user to the samba.

I have tried to add a "slimserver" user, but it "dissapears" again.

/Rene

I upgraded to the latest version last night (0.01.17-Beta) and my slimserver stopped functioning.  It will just not start, I telneted in and ran the slimserver.pl only to get a strange "Can't locate strict.pm in @INC".  Any suggestions?  I even tried reinstalling slimserver (I moved the old folder) but still the same message.  Somehow my perl changed.  Anyway to reinstall.. I attempted to run the build-perl-modules but again the same strict.pm message.

Anyone?

thanks,

Guisep

Well I took my USB and put a fresh bubbaRaid install on it.. still will not start slimserver.  Same error.. any suggestions?

thanks..

Don't build the perl modules.... that breaks them.

All the PMs are pre-build in BubbaRaid.

I upgraded to the latest version last night (0.01.17-Beta) and my slimserver stopped functioning.  It will just not start, I telneted in and ran the slimserver.pl only to get a strange "Can't locate strict.pm in @INC".  Any suggestions?  I even tried reinstalling slimserver (I moved the old folder) but still the same message.  Somehow my perl changed.  Anyway to reinstall.. I attempted to run the build-perl-modules but again the same strict.pm message.

Anyone?

thanks,

Guisep

Well I took my USB and put a fresh bubbaRaid install on it.. still will not start slimserver.  Same error.. any suggestions?

thanks..

Don't build the perl modules.... that breaks them.

All the PMs are pre-build in BubbaRaid.

Anyone?

thanks,

Guisep

I'm having this same issue.  Slimserver just won't start.

Update:

Finally after a week of turmoil I finally trace the problem.  Seems the USB filestructure was corrupt and it was not until I corrected that, deleted everything, reinstalled Bubba and SlimServer that I finally got things back up and running.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Bubba - a word of thanks and please add the chmod 777/666 to the music folders..

I'll check tonight but I reinstalled the full bubbaraid so it should be as perl is part of the package.

Fwiw, I upgraded and slimserver is still running.

Have you guys checked if strict.pm is in your @INC path?

ah yes that makes sense.. but if bubbaraid did prompt and store it could be an option on the slimserver page.  I know you have a lot more pressing items just wanted to put my vote in for the chmod.. for now the telnet, with a quick script does the job.. I'm just lazy to change my samba setting..

thanks again,

As I have said before, I can not add a chmod to the "music" folders because I have no way to know WHERE you keep your music!

• 2 weeks later...

BubbaQ mentioned that BubbaRAID's next update will become reality after the next unRAID's beta pops out (and did). Does this still stand or we'll need to wait further?

Also, will BubbaRAID and the new unRAID-Web be independent developments that possibly in the future the user will be able to update independently?

To "spell" things out what will be the possible scenarios?:

- unRAID-Web: I suppose yes.

- BubbaRAID "stand alone": I suppose this will stop being a possibility as I take it that BubbaRAID will soon need to stand over unRAID-Web.

- unMENU "stand alone": ? (that's not a question for bubbaq of course)

- unRAID-Web + BubbaRAID: Possibly the only way to have BubbaRAID in the near future?

- unRAID-Web + unMENU: Yes (plus unMENU plugins???)

- unRAID-Web + BubbaRAID + unMENU: Hopefully yes.

- BubbaRAID + unMENU: I don't even care :P (given where development goes)

...and possible plug-ins of the... plug-ins I suppose. Can the respective authors verify the above?

Thanks! (and regards from Amsterdam :) - there for business)

BubbaQ mentioned that BubbaRAID's next update will become reality after the next unRAID's beta pops out (and did). Does this still stand or we'll need to wait further?

Also, will BubbaRAID and the new unRAID-Web be independent developments that possibly in the future the user will be able to update independently?

To "spell" things out what will be the possible scenarios?:

I think I can answer a few of these questions.  See following:

Joe L.

- unMENU "stand alone": ? (that's not a question for bubbaq of course)

The unmenu/index.php I wrote for unRAID-Web depends on it for the top of screen "status" widget, a few common files for configuration management, and the shared copy of the AjaXplorer file-browser.  It will eventually be changed to use the web-server that Tom installs in unRAID 5.X.  It should work under any server that supports "php" 

Now that I've figured out what is needed to invoke the unMENU plug-ins from "php", unMENU will live on.  New unMENU plug-ins should work without any additional effort.

- unRAID-Web + unMENU: Yes (plus unMENU plugins???)

unMENU and its plug-ins currently work.

- BubbaRAID + unMENU: I don't even care :P (given where development goes)

BubbaQ will have to answer.

Thanks! (and regards from Amsterdam :) - there for business)

Sure...    Oh yes... the coffee shops in that city have very little in common with the local Starbucks.  Stay away if you are looking for caffeine.

Tom has not released the beta of the web-php unRAID.  That has to come out first.

Yes.  They will be independent.

- unRAID-Web + BubbaRAID: Possibly the only way to have BubbaRAID in the near future?

BubbaRaid wiill run under unRAID-Web.... although each will be separate and independently updated.