[DOCKER] ownCloud is here!

I see this error in the admin page of ownCloud:

"Configuration Checks

This server has no working internet connection. This means that some of the features like mounting of external storage, notifications about updates or installation of 3rd party apps don´t work. Accessing files from remote and sending of notification emails might also not work. We suggest to enable internet connection for this server if you want to have all features."

Everything seems to work, but I'm wondering how to resolve this error or if it is even important.

I see this error in the admin page of ownCloud:

"Configuration Checks

This server has no working internet connection. This means that some of the features like mounting of external storage, notifications about updates or installation of 3rd party apps don´t work. Accessing files from remote and sending of notification emails might also not work. We suggest to enable internet connection for this server if you want to have all features."

Everything seems to work, but I'm wondering how to resolve this error or if it is even important.

Found the answer.  The config.php file needs the following line:

'proxy' => '192.168.1.x:8000'

EDIT: The IP address is the IP of your server.

Or you add your apps inside /var/www/owncloud/data/apps directory or you create a volume mapping pointing to /var/www/owncloud/apps ; either way I won't support it because involves messing with the config.php file, and I don't wan't to screw anyone's installation.

By the way, updated to 8.0.3.

Tried this as suggested:

My Volume Mapping as follows to add ownCloud apps:

Container Volume:    /var/www/owncloud/apps

Host Path:                /mnt/user/Data/owncloud/apps

I placed my unzipped Apps in the Host Path directory. Started ownCloud docker and all I get is a blank page.

Or you add your apps inside /var/www/owncloud/data/apps directory or you create a volume mapping pointing to /var/www/owncloud/apps ; either way I won't support it because involves messing with the config.php file, and I don't wan't to screw anyone's installation.

By the way, updated to 8.0.3.

Tried this as suggested:

My Volume Mapping as follows to add ownCloud apps:

Container Volume:    /var/www/owncloud/apps

Host Path:                /mnt/user/Data/owncloud/apps

I placed my unzipped Apps in the Host Path directory. Started ownCloud docker and all I get is a blank page.

I've also been trying to get this working, problem is with the approach you've taken is that /var/www/owncloud/apps already has a lot of essential files in it, so when you remap the folder to the host then these files are no longer accessible.

I've been messing around with it and if I make any progress I'll post back here with how I did it.

If you want to examine the directory structure of the docker then run,assuming your container is called ownCloud, (Note: Case Sensitive)

docker exec -ti ownCloud /bin/bash

If you need to find the container's name then run

docker ps

Some info on the changes that may be necessary for config.php are here & a good config.php sample is here.

I just installed the apps I needed inside the Docker.  It works until you upgrade, then it has to be done again.  Kind of a pain, but it works.

How does that work for the apps from apps.owncloud.com

They all seem to be downloadable compressed files.

I just installed the apps I needed inside the Docker.  It works until you upgrade, then it has to be done again.  Kind of a pain, but it works.

Download, uncompress, and copy to the apps directory in the Docker.  You'll then see them in the ownCloud apps and you can enable the apps on the admin webgui of ownCloud.

Download, uncompress, and copy to the apps directory in the Docker.  You'll then see them in the ownCloud apps and you can enable the apps on the admin webgui of ownCloud.

OK, daft question how do you copy from Host to Container?  I'm assuming this is all via cmd line, if so, should be simple enough to make a script to do that I would have thought.

OK, daft question how do you copy from Host to Container?  I'm assuming this is all via cmd line, if so, should be simple enough to make a script to do that I would have thought.

Put the app in the /mnt/user/appdata/owncloud directory and the Docker has access to it.  Copy from there by executing bash in the Docker.

Put the app in the /mnt/user/appdata/owncloud directory and the Docker has access to it.  Copy from there by executing bash in the Docker.

OK, that's so obvious I feel rather stupid.  In my mind it was far more complicated.  Sorry  :-[

OK, that's so obvious I feel rather stupid.  In my mind it was far more complicated.  Sorry  :-[

No problem.  It is rather easy to do.  Like I said a bit of a pain, but not difficult.  I leave the uncompressed app in the /mnt/user/appdata/owncloud folder for future use.

I think if ownCloud is updated inside the Docker, the apps won't get clobbered by updating the Docker.  I haven't tried that yet.

No problem.  It is rather easy to do.  Like I said a bit of a pain, but not difficult.  I leave the uncompressed app in the /mnt/user/appdata/owncloud folder for future use.

I think if ownCloud is updated inside the Docker, the apps won't get clobbered by updating the Docker.  I haven't tried that yet.

Yeah I would guess that would preserve the apps.

I love this docker though, it's awesome.  Had a proper play with it today.  Absolutely brilliant, thanks gfjardim.

Yeah I would guess that would preserve the apps.

I love this docker though, it's awesome.  Had a proper play with it today.  Absolutely brilliant, thanks gfjardim.

I started using ownCloud in a Xen VM and recently converted to Docker.  I use many of its features for my business:

- ownCloud app on Android phones to automatically upload and review pictures taken while on the job.

- Contacts downloaded to phones from ownCloud managed from one place.

- Calendars that can be seen on phones for scheduling.

It's really improved our productivity.

Contacts and Calender's sounds interesting.  There's my next project.

I use eMCient email client software that uses caldav and carddav to also connect to the ownCloud calendar and contacts.  Any application that can do caldav and carddav interface can connect to ownCloud.  I know there is more capability that I'm not using.  ownCloud is pretty awesome.

If you haven't done it yet, be sure to use MySql and not the default SQL database.  I installed the MariaDB Docker (MySQL compatible) and use that for the database.  If you don't use MySQL or MariaDB, the responsiveness in a multi-user environment will be poor.

Contacts and Calender's sounds interesting.  There's my next project.

I use eMCient email client software that uses caldav and carddav to also connect to the ownCloud calendar and contacts.  Any application that can do caldav and carddav interface can connect to ownCloud.  I know there is more capability that I'm not using.  ownCloud is pretty awesome.

If you haven't done it yet, be sure to use MySql and not the default SQL database.  I installed the MariaDB Docker (MySQL compatible) and use that for the database.  If you don't use MySQL or MariaDB, the responsiveness in a multi-user environment will be poor.

I'm already using MariaDB as my database so all good on that front.  Will have a go with those apps when I get a chance, thanks for the info, 'tis appreciated.

Hello.

Trying ownCloud for some family sharing, looks pretty promising so far.

1. My configuration is based on the MariaDB docker (which I've already had due to central Kodi DB), followed http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35052.msg326033#msg326033 for the configuration.

2. As for accessing my unRAID, I have the following mappings:

Container volume:            Host path:

/var/www/owncloud/data    /mnt/user/ownCloud/

/unRAID                          /mnt/user/

3. After running for a while, followed http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33891.msg364713#msg364713 to copy the "/var/www/owncloud/apps" folder to a temporary location on my unRAID (accessiable via /unRAID inside the container), then added a mapping to the container:

/var/www/owncloud/apps    /mnt/user/ownCloud/apps

Now I can add apps from the ownCloud app store...

Haven't tried restarting the server yet, but I believe it will continue working with the added apps afterwards.

Hope it helps anyone :-)

Hello.

1. My configuration is based on the MariaDB docker (which I've already had due to central Kodi DB), followed http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35052.msg326033#msg326033 for the configuration.

3. After running for a while, followed http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33891.msg364713#msg364713 to copy the "/var/www/owncloud/apps" folder to a temporary location on my unRAID (accessiable via /unRAID inside the container), then added a mapping to the container:

Haven't tried restarting the server yet, but I believe it will continue working with the added apps afterwards.

I agree that it will survive a restart but I think if you update the container then you'll need to make the changes again. 

I was wondering whether it's just possible to expose the /var/www/owncloud/apps folder to a configurable folder in the appdata share using a symbolic link.  I think it's been used on other containers, but I haven't really tried to look at it yet. 

Thanks for letting us know how you managed it though.  Nice to have choice.

Hello.

I agree that it will survive a restart but I think if you update the container then you'll need to make the changes again. 

I was wondering whether it's just possible to expose the /var/www/owncloud/apps folder to a configurable folder in the appdata share using a symbolic link.  I think it's been used on other containers, but I haven't really tried to look at it yet. 

Thanks for letting us know how you managed it though.  Nice to have choice.

+1  on exposing the /var/www/owncloud/apps folder. With all the different apps available it would make sense to make the data persistent, and easier to configure and manage.

there are 2 way arounds for this, a quick glance at the docker install routine and it appears that the owncloud installation is a download of the base files rather than an install via ppa etc...

for persistance of plugins, calendars and contacts etc... you could pull the download block out of the main install, put it into a firstrun type file with an if routine for a file or folder that if not present triggers a download of the files.

then use the entire /var/www/owncloud folder as a volume for share.

the other way, which keeps everybody on the same version (better for support) is to keep the download block in the main image install but download to a temporary location and then use a similar firstrun scenario as above to move the files into their final place and again share the entire /var/www/owncloud folder.

there may be pitfalls i haven't foreseen, and it's not my decision to make, i'm just offering a potential.

not sure if it's better to just make /var/www/owncloud/apps persistent?

there is that, i don't use the thing so i couldn't really say.

personally i'd just pass the whole folder and have done with it, but that's just me.

It's not quite that simple.  ownCloud has many apps built that are pre-loaded in the apps directory.  User apps are added to that directory for additional functionality.  Both directories would have to combine to work properly.

When I load ownCloud, I just get into the docker with a cli and copy the apps from the appdata/owncloud directory and I'm good to go.  This only occurs when I update or make xml changes to the docker image.

not sure if it's better to just make /var/www/owncloud/apps persistent?

there is that, i don't use the thing so i couldn't really say.

personally i'd just pass the whole folder and have done with it, but that's just me.

It's not quite that simple.  ownCloud has many apps built that are pre-loaded in the apps directory.  User apps are added to that directory for additional functionality.  Both directories would have to combine to work properly.

When I load ownCloud, I just get into the docker with a cli and copy the apps from the appdata/owncloud directory and I'm good to go.  This only occurs when I update or make xml changes to the docker image.

I basically followed your advice and do it this way for now, but this needs to be remedied to make it easier for all users in general.