Backup via USB 3.0 Enclosure in V6 [SOLVED]

J.R.

I started a thread (here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37621.0 ) on the new(b) build I'm in the middle of and was asking what the best solution is for backups (keeping in mind I'm entirely new to both unRAID and Linux).

I assumed CrashPlan but have been getting some conflicting answers in that thread.

Basically I want the ability to backup critical files from my unRAID server to an external USB 3.0 enclosure attached to the unRAID server and do incremental backups from there.

-First, can CrashPlan on unRAID do this?

-Second, is it the best solution or is there something better?

Thanks.

rsync is built-in. CrashPlan has to be added to unRAID and also installed on another machine so you can administer the unRAID CrashPlan.

You can't just run CrashPlan from unRAID? That doesn't seem right....

I wish there was some exampled (video, web tutorial etc) showing what CP looks like/how it works on UR...*sigh*

Do you have a windows machine you're using JR?  If so a pretty simple alternative option would be to use ms sync toy as a scheduled task to pull important files to an external HDD or different computer.  The severe downside to this solution is that if you're windows machine goes down, it will no longer create the backups for you (which is what is currently happening to me).

• 4 weeks later...

OK, so I managed to get the CrashPlan docker setup and running, installed CrashPlan on my W8 machine and set up PuTTY as per these intructions:

http://thegearsphere.com/post/36449786819/install-crashplan-on-unraid

That all seems to be working and I can see the server folders I want to backup while running the CrashPlan GUI from my PC. GREAT for a newb I'd say!...lol

Now the USB 3.0 drives...

The only instructions I could find on adding external USB drives was here:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Mounting_an_external_USB_drive_having_an_existing_NTFS_file_system_in_READ/WRITE_mode_to_transport_files_from/to_unRaid_server

I've installed the latest NTFS files from here:

http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/a/

...and otherwise followed the instructions...but no USB disks show up when I type "cat /proc/partitions" as per the instructions (they should be showing up as sdi and beyond but only go to sdh, which is my cache drive ).

Any help?

Also, the instructions state in this section:

You must then install the ntfs-3g package on your unRAID box. The command to do that is here:

installpkg /boot/packages/ntfs-3g-2010.3.6-i486-1.txz

You could add a line to the end of your "go" script to do this install every time you reboot.

Yes I've changed the command to my directories and the current file name but what is my "go" script and how would I go about doing this so it just runs when rebooted (if in fact I still need to do any of this to mount an external USB 3.0 drive in V6).

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

OK, back to this. (I know, living life on the edge going this long without a steady backup. I'm a busy boy.)

I've successfully installed the latest version of Crashplan via Community Apps as per this thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=33864.0

I've also got my two USB drives visible in Windows Explorer as \\Tower\usb3a and \\Tower\usb3b via Snap

However, when I browse through the Crasplan WebGUI to find them as a backup location, they don't exist as options. Do I have to edit my '/data' path to something other than '/mnt/user/' to see the USB locations? If so, what?

I've also got my two USB drives visible in Windows Explorer as \\Tower\usb3a and \\Tower\usb3b via Snap
As far as I know SNAP is not compatible with the current unRAID - do you mean the Unassigned Devices plugin?

However, when I browse through the Crasplan WebGUI to find them as a backup location, they don't exist as options. Do I have to edit my '/data' path to something other than '/mnt/user/' to see the USB locations? If so, what?

If it was the Unassigned Devices plugin then at the Linux level the devices it mounts show up under /mnt/disks/

As far as I know SNAP is not compatible with the current unRAID - do you mean the Unassigned Devices plugin?

If it was the Unassigned Devices plugin then at the Linux level the devices it mounts show up under /mnt/disks/

Snap seems to be working, like I said, I can see the USB disks in Explorer, MC etc. If not Snap, what are we supposed to use for accessing external USB drives now...?

Tried /mt/disks/ as my edited data path...seems to be no change.

Snap seems to be working, like I said, I can see the USB disks in Explorer, MC etc. If not Snap, what are we supposed to use for accessing external USB drives now...?

See bolded above

As mentioned already, Unassigned Devices.

should be /mnt/disks

Also, you're going to have to stop and start the docker service because anything created via Unassigned Devices won't be visible within a docker app because the service has already started once the mount takes place.  Restarting the service fixes that.

should be /mnt/disks

Also, you're going to have to stop and start the docker service because anything created via Unassigned Devices won't be visible within a docker app because the service has already started once the mount takes place.  Restarting the service fixes that.

Yeah, sorry that was a typo (on here).

Stopped Crashplan docker, working on installing Unassigned Devices.

Stay tuned for more!

You've got to stop the entire docker service for a container to see a custom mount.  Not just the container

Aaah, well kids are watching Snow White via Plex at the moment...so that will have to wait  ::)

When I restart it, then I should be able to see my USB disks under 'destinations/folders' in Crashplan, correct?

I have a 5TB USB 3.0 drive mounted using Unassigned Devices plugin. Then I pass that through to the crashplan docker as a folder. I can launch the webUI from unRAID docker icon and add the folder to crashplan as backup folder. I also pass through the folder(s) I want to backup to crashplan and then select them in the interface. Seems to be working well for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 5TB USB 3.0 drive mounted using Unassigned Devices plugin. Then I pass that through to the crashplan docker as a folder. I can launch the webUI from unRAID docker icon and add the folder to crashplan as backup folder. I also pass through the folder(s) I want to backup to crashplan and then select them in the interface. Seems to be working well for me.

OK...seem to have got that working but now it's telling me there's insufficient space on an empty 1TB drive to backup 433GB...

• 3 weeks later...

OK...seem to have got that working but now it's telling me there's insufficient space on an empty 1TB drive to backup 433GB...

Sorry about the late reply. Figured this out (when I first ran it I accidentally missed pointing to the folder on the drive and just pointed to the drive  ::) ) and just haven't had time to get back on here!

So seems to be working now  ;D

Archived