Simple question: how to upgrade to latest unRaid 6?

mikesp18

• 4 weeks later...

Anyhow, all you should have to do to upgrade is go to the plugins tab and hit Check For Updates.  And then install the update for 15 that will appear.  Reboot the system and you're up and running

The easiest way to roll back would be prior to upgrading, make a copy of your flash drive onto your desktop.  But, bear in mind that if you do make changes in the hard drives installed, then some config files stored in the backup need to be deleted otherwise you're going to be in for some major issues if you decide to revert

I'm currently on 6.0 beta 9 and wanted to update. Doing a search on the forums I came across this post but when I go to plugins like you said I see docker and unraid but they both say no updates. I wanted to update Plex and saw most ppl are running beta 15 so I wasn't sure if that was the problem I was having updating Plex. Also I figured I should just update anyways.

Anyhow, all you should have to do to upgrade is go to the plugins tab and hit Check For Updates.  And then install the update for 15 that will appear.  Reboot the system and you're up and running

The easiest way to roll back would be prior to upgrading, make a copy of your flash drive onto your desktop.  But, bear in mind that if you do make changes in the hard drives installed, then some config files stored in the backup need to be deleted otherwise you're going to be in for some major issues if you decide to revert

I'm currently on 6.0 beta 9 and wanted to update. Doing a search on the forums I came across this post but when I go to plugins like you said I see docker and unraid but they both say no updates. I wanted to update Plex and saw most ppl are running beta 15 so I wasn't sure if that was the problem I was having updating Plex. Also I figured I should just update anyways.

Did you hit check for updates?

Worst case, you can always download it separately (http://dnld.lime-technology.com/beta/unRAIDServer-6.0-beta15-x86_64.zip), and copy the files onto your flash drive and reboot.

Did you hit check for updates?

Worst case, you can always download it separately (http://dnld.lime-technology.com/beta/unRAIDServer-6.0-beta15-x86_64.zip), and copy the files onto your flash drive and reboot.

Yes I did check for updates. So it should find the update then? I was going to update manually but I didn't want to overwrite something I shouldn't and have to start from scratch....

Actually I would recommend just using the Upgrading to UnRAID v6 instructions in the wiki. That will be cleaner than trying to jump several versions.

Probably best to stay involved if you are going to run beta software.

That guide is for v5-6 though and I'm already on 6 so wouldn't that not apply?

Damn I wish I didn't get this far off but I was told that it was coming out of beta very soon so I was just waiting for that... that was almost a year ago I think. Things have been going great so I didn't see any reason to update anything. I went to beta cause I was told that I should get into docker instead of messing with plugins.

Do you have any dockers? You will have to recreate your docker img if your upgrading from that far back.

I do have dockers that's all I'm running. I have to reconfig them all again if I update to beta 15? I'm kind of afraid to break something now that it's all working perfectly.

See here for the changes

We don't know any of the details of your setup so can't give any better specific advice than what has already been offered. I think you will have to do some research.

There has been a lot of things that used to be plugins incorporated into unRAID core now so you will definitely need to get rid of all plugins. You will also definitely have to delete and recreate docker img (we all did), but that will just mean downloading your dockers again. The data the dockers use, which is probably on your cache, will still be there, and you can just configure the dockers to use that data again.

Suggest you take some time to read at least a few pages of each release announcement you skipped to get a better idea of what has happened. There is probably some good info there that can help you get a better idea of how you might get from where you are to now.

After you have done your research, come back with specific questions and maybe we can give you better guidance.

Archived