UPS for unraid

You need to check that it can communicate with the APC UPS Deamon used in unRAID to start with. This was initially developed for APC products but other suppliers are using this protocol as well (fully or partially implemented). I did find a list with compatible devices some time ago but I am not able to find it right now. Sorry!

You can find more information about apcupsd here http://www.apcupsd.org

I have a CyberPower UPS on my unRAID server and it works just fine.  I would personally suggest that you get a unit rated at least for 550VA.  The bigger battery will  provide for longer run time of your server as the battery ages.  (It takes unRAID a couple of minutes to actually shutdown after the timeout you have set in the apupsd interface.  When the battery is nearly exhausted, the UPS just shuts off the conversion of battery power to AC power.  If your server is not completely shutdown when that happens, you will have the  unclean shutdown condition! You might actually be able to stretch out the battery replacement interval with a larger battery-- Oh, the cost of the  Manufacturer's replacement battery is almost as much as the UPS!) 

I was just thinking about getting a UPS for my server as I live somewhere where power flickering and outages are common during the storm season (florida). I only want it for clean shutdowns so would this work? LINK!!!

I know absolutely nothing about these so all help would be appreciated.

I would definitely NOT buy that unit.

You don't need a particularly large capacity unit, but I would NOT buy a UPS without AVR (automatic voltage regulation) => this will keep the UPS from switching to/from battery during brownouts or frequent spikes.

This is the least expensive unit I'm aware of with AVR:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102044

... although a slightly higher-end unit would be a better choice, as they tend to have better output waveforms:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102082

The BEST choice is a unit with a true sine wave output:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102131

Thanks for all the replies and info everyone, I will probably go with the cheap one that garycase suggested as this is my first one and I don't need anything that will last a long time on battery because when the power goes out here it goes out for hours so the ups will be only for clean shutdowns.

Hi, i  am also looking for a ups,and ss for cyberpower ones these are the only choices in my country

http://www.cpsww.com.my/products/ups_systems.htm

I guess i should look at other brands? As i have to go for the professional rackmount series to get a pure sine wave one lol. Or are the value series good enough?

The value series are okay -- they have AVR, which is the key feature I would not buy one without.

Hi, i  am also looking for a ups,and ss for cyberpower ones these are the only choices in my country

I guess i should look at other brands? As i have to go for the professional rackmount series to get a pure sine wave one lol. Or are the value series good enough?

A lot of this depends a couple of factors.  First, there were/are(?) some computer power supplies which really don't work well with some UPS that provided simulated sine wave output.  If you have one of these, you need one with sine-wave output.

Second issue.  What is the stability of your the AC power at your location?  Do you have a lot of low voltage or over-voltage occurrences?  If you do, have you might need a UPS which provides protections against these conditions.  (However, a lot of Computer power supplies are quite forgiving of either of these conditions.  If you are not having issues now as a result of either of these conditions, you might want to spend additional money to fix a problem you don't have.) 

This is the cyberpower UPS that I am using on  my Test Bed sever and it is quite satisfactory.  I should point out that power stability is not an issue where I live.  In fact, I have the power off timer set for 30 seconds as my experience indicates that if the power is out that long, it probably will be out for at least a couple of hours! 

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/intelligent-lcd-ups/CP600LCD.html

The cost when I purchased it about year-and-half ago was $65.00US. 

The value series are okay -- they have AVR, which is the key feature I would not buy one without.

Thx gary, btw does the value series also have support for apcupsd? I always thought tvat i would need a smartups APC or a Intelligent LCD cyberpower to get the auto shutdown support or am i mistaken?

Btw will something like the APC bk650 be a good buy? Just wondering though, but i will most probably get a cyberpower since quite a lot of you are using it and APC aren't the only goto brands these days.

A lot of this depends a couple of factors.  First, there were/are(?) some computer power supplies which really don't work well with some UPS that provided simulated sine wave output.  If you have one of these, you need one with sine-wave output.

Second issue.  What is the stability of your the AC power at your location?  Do you have a lot of low voltage or over-voltage occurrences?  If you do, have you might need a UPS which provides protections against these conditions.  (However, a lot of Computer power supplies are quite forgiving of either of these conditions.  If you are not having issues now as a result of either of these conditions, you might want to spend additional money to fix a problem you don't have.) 

This is the cyberpower UPS that I am using on  my Test Bed sever and it is quite satisfactory.  I should point out that power stability is not an issue where I live.  In fact, I have the power off timer set for 30 seconds as my experience indicates that if the power is out that long, it probably will be out for at least a couple of hours! 

http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/intelligent-lcd-ups/CP600LCD.html

The cost when I purchased it about year-and-half ago was $65.00US.

Wow thx for the info frank, in terms of power outages,this year has been more frequent than it has ever been which is why im feeling like getting a ups lol, which i should have done from the start anyway.....

But in terms of power stability,i think its good enough as i have a pc running an over 5 year old basic Gigabyte psu which is still running fine with no issues, and the psu im using on the NAS is a superflower green hx 550  which is supposedly great according to jonnyguru.

Sigh,i cant seem to find any "intelligent LCD " cyberpower here,its all either DX series or value series. My budget woukd allow me to go for the value1500 at most,which cost about 200usd in my place but i guess the 1000 should be good enough as i only have 5 disk now (max 6 for my case) and a haswell i3.

Do you think i should just go for the value series like what gary has recommended? ( so jealous that the US has a pure sine wave ups for just 120usd lol)

I don't know for certain that the Value series will work with APCUPSD, but I'd be surprised if it didn't, as I don't think CyberPower would use a different communications protocol for this series than their other units.  But anything's possible.

As for the APC BK650,  as near as I can tell this is a low-end model that does NOT have AVR, so I'd try and get something better.

I don't know for certain that the Value series will work with APCUPSD, but I'd be surprised if it didn't, as I don't think CyberPower would use a different communications protocol for this series than their other units.  But anything's possible.

As for the APC BK650,  as near as I can tell this is a low-end model that does NOT have AVR, so I'd try and get something better.

Hmm, guess i will have to do some research first to make sure it works as we dont have the awesome refund policy which amazon has. There are actually quite a number of APC ups being sold here,will look thru it and report back here. Thx gary for your help :)

I would definitely NOT buy that unit.

You don't need a particularly large capacity unit, but I would NOT buy a UPS without AVR (automatic voltage regulation) => this will keep the UPS from switching to/from battery during brownouts or frequent spikes.

This is the least expensive unit I'm aware of with AVR:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102044

... although a slightly higher-end unit would be a better choice, as they tend to have better output waveforms:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102082

The BEST choice is a unit with a true sine wave output:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102131

Oh sure, 2 years ago it was everyone should have a UPS period. So I go out and get me a UPS... Now it's get a Cadillac UPS with all the bells and whistles and spinner rims!

How I usually feel after reading Gary's posts:

acb.jpg

p.s. Gary, I hope you worked out a deal with Newegg and Amazon to get a percentage of all my purchases  ;D

How I usually feel after reading Gary's posts:

acb.jpg

p.s. Gary, I hope you worked out a deal with Newegg and Amazon to get a percentage of all my purchases  ;D

I think gary said something once about needing to spend money before his wife spent it all or something like that ;D

... Now it's get a Cadillac UPS with all the bells and whistles and spinner rims!

A UPS with AVR is hardly a "Cadillac UPS".    A pure Sine Wave APC Smart UPS or an always on-line Smart UPS OnLine ($1000 and up) would be a "Cadillac UPS".

You can get a lot of nice units with AVR in the $100-125 range ... these are hardly expensive for good power protection.    The CyberPower Pure Sine-Wave units are pricier, but are excellent bargains for a true sinewave output UPS => to get true sinewave with APC you have to move to the SmartUPS series ... this is the least expensive unit from APC with that feature:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842301290

As for getting kickbacks from Amazon and Newegg => I'd be quite happy if I could just get a senior discount  :) :)

... Now it's get a Cadillac UPS with all the bells and whistles and spinner rims!

A UPS with AVR is hardly a "Cadillac UPS".    A pure Sine Wave APC Smart UPS or an always on-line Smart UPS OnLine ($1000 and up) would be a "Cadillac UPS".

You can get a lot of nice units with AVR in the $100-125 range ... these are hardly expensive for good power protection.    The CyberPower Pure Sine-Wave units are pricier, but are excellent bargains for a true sinewave output UPS => to get true sinewave with APC you have to move to the SmartUPS series ... this is the least expensive unit from APC with that feature:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842301290

As for getting kickbacks from Amazon and Newegg => I'd be quite happy if I could just get a senior discount  :) :)

I suppose a $100 for a UPS is a pretty good deal, mostly I have just thinking about how you have convinced me to upgrade my RAM twice and CPU twice... oh and my WD red hard drive...

On a side note, how do you like the CyberPower vs the APC units? and do you also hook up the modem coax cable and network cables through your UPS and is there any signal loss because of that?

... On a side note, how do you like the CyberPower vs the APC units? and do you also hook up the modem coax cable and network cables through your UPS and is there any signal loss because of that?

I like the high-end APC units better, but the CyberPower units work very well and are much more aggressively priced, so I've been buying more of those lately.    The CyberPower pure sine wave units are real bargains compared to APC's units.    This is an amazing price for a true sine wave unit with plenty of power for an UnRAID setup:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102131

... and I've got a couple of these for my other systems:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102133  [My main desktop and my main HTPC]

Two of my UnRAID systems use this APC unit, which is an excellent choice -- it's got AVR, but isn't a true sine wave unit (not an issue with most systems, but some newer active PFC power supplies can have issues with the waveform ... I've not seen that with any of my sytems, but just to be safe, I now only buy pure sine wave units):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101381

And Yes, I absolutely run my network and coax cables through the UPS's.  The guarantee that the UPS manufacturers provide is void if you have external cables (Ethernet, phone, coax) connected to the PC that isn't surge protected.    I've not had any issues with signal loss => even the 100Mb rated surge ports don't cause any appreciable slowdown when used with a Gb network.

Hey guys its me again. Just found a local seller with an absurd amount if choice for apc.

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1442255

Im thinking of either getting the br or smc series. The sua seems to be an eol product while i got a feeling that the smt might be too rich for my blood. What do you say guys?

Gary seems to be using the br700 so i might just go for that but wondering if the smc might be a better buy or something.

The SMC series units are better than the BR units, since they have true sine wave outputs.    They also, of course, cost more.    I noted the BR700 simply because it's a very affordable APC unit with AVR ... if you can afford to go with the SMC series, they're definitely a better choice.

And Yes, I absolutely run my network and coax cables through the UPS's.  The guarantee that the UPS manufacturers provide is void if you have external cables (Ethernet, phone, coax) connected to the PC that isn't surge protected.    I've not had any issues with signal loss => even the 100Mb rated surge ports don't cause any appreciable slowdown when used with a Gb network.

How exactly is "external" defined? If all my network's AC power is protected, and the external WAN connection is protected, then the internal LAN connections shouldn't matter, right? If so, then I wouldn't think 100Mb surge ports would matter for many people since their WAN connection will not exceed that anyway.

How exactly is "external" defined? If all my network's AC power is protected, and the external WAN connection is protected, then the internal LAN connections shouldn't matter, right? If so, then I wouldn't think 100Mb surge ports would matter for many people since their WAN connection will not exceed that anyway.

The manufacturer is writing the warranty conditions and they want to pay as few a number of claims as possible so the conditions are written based on that!  Not the technical details...

... How exactly is "external" defined? If all my network's AC power is protected, and the external WAN connection is protected, then the internal LAN connections shouldn't matter, right? If so, then I wouldn't think 100Mb surge ports would matter for many people since their WAN connection will not exceed that anyway.

Not sure exactly where in the "chain" the manufacturers expect the protection to be => but I play it safe by having every system connected directly to the UPS Ethernet surge port (I have a dedicated UPS for EVERY PC).

I'm sure that if you sent it a system with a damage claim and the PC showed damage on the Ethernet port, but the UPS's Ethernet port showed no signs of surge damage, they would deny the claim.    Even if you protect your WAN connection between a broadband modem and router, the lines from the router to your various systems can still be subject to electrical impulses (especially if they run through your attic or walls) ... so it's best if they run to a UPS, with a short connection from the UPS to the actual PC.

I'm slowly getting into adding a UPS (and by slowly I mean I just plugged it in, lol). 

From what I've gathered, there's only one plugin - apcupsd - that we have which will work with a variety of UPS.  Are there any "dummy" guides out there in terms of how to get things set up? 

If not, perhaps I may go about writing something and sharing later, but ideally there's already one.

I'm slowly getting into adding a UPS (and by slowly I mean I just plugged it in, lol). 

From what I've gathered, there's only one plugin - apcupsd - that we have which will work with a variety of UPS.  Are there any "dummy" guides out there in terms of how to get things set up? 

If not, perhaps I may go about writing something and sharing later, but ideally there's already one.

Note that in the latest v6betas apcupsd is built-in so no plugin required.

You already linked to the official docs for apcupsd. You will actually be setting it up in the unRAID webGUI so that also guides you somewhat. Just try it and I think you can figure it out.

It gets a little more interesting (but not difficult) if you try to link an additional PC to it over the network like some of us have done.