CrashPlan

agw

Guys.

Trying to get this up and running. I have downloaded CrashPlan and i am following the instructions from page 24. When i issue the command below i get the following. Any ideas?

root@Apu:/boot/packages# tar -zxfv CrashPlan_3.0.3_Linux.tgz

tar (child): v: Cannot open: No such file or directory

tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

tar: Child returned status 2

tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

root@Apu:/boot/packages#

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok. im a bit further. I am confused by the conf file. Does this look right to you? When i open CrashPlan but it cant connect

#Fri Dec 09 09:50:22 CST 2005

#serviceHost=127.0.0.1

#servicePort=4243

#pollerPeriod=1000  # 1 second

#connectRetryDelay=10000  # 10 seconds

#connectRetryAttempts=3

#showWelcome=true

#font.small=

#font.default=

#font.title=

#font.message.header=

#font.message.body=

#font.tab=

servicePort=4200

Ok. im a bit further. I am confused by the conf file. Does this look right to you? When i open CrashPlan but it cant connect

#Fri Dec 09 09:50:22 CST 2005

#serviceHost=127.0.0.1

#servicePort=4243

#pollerPeriod=1000  # 1 second

#connectRetryDelay=10000  # 10 seconds

#connectRetryAttempts=3

#showWelcome=true

#font.small=

#font.default=

#font.title=

#font.message.header=

#font.message.body=

#font.tab=

servicePort=4200

ssh port forwarding set up?

As far as i know.

I have followed

I'm running PuTTY. You need to port-forward port 4200 on your local machine to 4243 on the unRAID server (this is the actual unRAID server engine port!)

In Putty, this is under the connection -> ssh -> tunnels menu

Add 4200 as the source port, then in the destination enter localhost:4243

Make sure you save this to your unRAID server session so you don't have to do it again next time!

Login to your unRAID server via ssh using this newly updated connection

As far as i know.

I have followed

I'm running PuTTY. You need to port-forward port 4200 on your local machine to 4243 on the unRAID server (this is the actual unRAID server engine port!)

In Putty, this is under the connection -> ssh -> tunnels menu

Add 4200 as the source port, then in the destination enter localhost:4243

Make sure you save this to your unRAID server session so you don't have to do it again next time!

Login to your unRAID server via ssh using this newly updated connection

You need to install ssh on the unRAID server

Ok. I am up and running.

Went over it and went over it and i must have done something wrong as on reboot everything seems to be working and i can backup to CP.

Now a couple of questions. Am i right in thinking that i only need the SSH tunnel when i want to configure CP on unRaid? Outside of that anything that i copy to unRaid will be backed up correct?

Thanks in advance

Now a couple of questions. Am i right in thinking that i only need the SSH tunnel when i want to configure CP on unRaid? Outside of that anything that i copy to unRaid will be backed up correct?

Yes - the tunnel is only needed when you want a 'control' connection to the crashplan instance on your unraid server. So once you've configured it, told it what to backup etc you can just leave it alone.

Regarding your second point, if that's what you've configured crashplan to do then yes. But you do need to tell crashplan what to back up and to where.

So if you do nothing, by default, crashplan will no back up anything at all - just sit there running doing nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

MY EYES THEY ARE BLEEDING!!! :'( :'( I tried I really did but 29 pages spread over such a long time frame  :o

Q: So can I use UnRAID + CP to backup with a friend over internet?

I know CP can do it normally per their web page, but can we do it with UnRAID?  relatively safely? 

You don't have to spend long on UnRAID forums to hear people tell you DON'T OPEN PORTS THE HAXORZ WILL GIT YA!!!

My buddy is actually running UnRaid as well and I'd like to setup CP to backup my "irreplaceable" folder to his unraid and visa versa.

So my default is to assume it still applies here and as such CP is limited to backing up computers on our own network.

But is anyone doing it?  Is it to hard to ensure it is secure from the script kiddie hordes?

What is the advantage of installing to the flash vs. an array disk?

As fas as I understand it (I'm a newbie on this  :) ), when running from the array you'll keep the array + parity running all the time, so it means more consumption and less hard drive life.

What I did was to buy a cheap SDD (less consumption and noise) and mount it with SNAP so I install all the apps there. Many people install apps in the cache drive, which is also a good a very good option. I didn't go that road because I want to keep the cache as empty as possible to use as a 'warm spare'.

The array will only be active if a process is accessing a file not in cache. I need to test this with a Crashplan install to an array disk an see if the disk spins down while CP is running. The var/ directory still needs to be saved to a tar in this case.

I'm also considering copying the full tar to and from an array disk rather than the flash. The array would not be running any more than if the tar were copied to and from the flash

I don't see the downside of storing the tar file in the share that also contains the CP manifest. And perhaps the complete install.

MY EYES THEY ARE BLEEDING!!! :'( :'( I tried I really did but 29 pages spread over such a long time frame  :o

Doing it here. my UnRaid to his UnRaid. Works great. You get weekly updates from Crashplan on connectivity/transfer usage. I haven't had to mess with it in months (except when his UnRaid has gone down for hardware reasons, but I won't go there).

Only issue I have is I back-up Windows PCs to it and you can't backup a Crashplan Backup. So as of now I have redundant Windows Backups, ie 1) Crashplan -> UnRaid and 2) Syncback Windows -> UnRaid -> Crashplan to friend

It should work fine running from flash, but it's going to put more usage on the flash drive due to logging I believe. It takes up minimal space on the cache drive (how I run it) but I see the point about possibly using your cache drive as a spare, then what do you do with Crashplan when you need the drive?

MY EYES THEY ARE BLEEDING!!! :'( :'( I tried I really did but 29 pages spread over such a long time frame  :o

Doing it here. my UnRaid to his UnRaid. Works great. You get weekly updates from Crashplan on connectivity/transfer usage. I haven't had to mess with it in months (except when his UnRaid has gone down for hardware reasons, but I won't go there).

Only issue I have is I back-up Windows PCs to it and you can't backup a Crashplan Backup. So as of now I have redundant Windows Backups, ie 1) Crashplan -> UnRaid and 2) Syncback Windows -> UnRaid -> Crashplan to friend

That is just silly :)  I guess I'll have to let ACronis keep doing its job and I'll do the same as you do.  Though that raises a possible issue, my Acronis backups can get a bit large.  I really don't see the need (for my usage patterns) to ask my buddy to keep multiple gigabytes of Acronis backup files.  Is there a way (filters, RegEX etc) that I can make CP only maintain files of a certain age within a given folder?

EDIT:  Hmm wait ... but nothing prevents using Desktop-CP to backup my data to both my UnRAID and my buddies UnRAID directly.  I know it can't pull from mapped shares (officially), so then I can use the UnRAID-CP engine to backup anything from UnRAID over to my buddies UnRAID? 

Right?

I get it working, then I break it, then I get it working again... currently it's working.

I got a large backup of data from my UNRAID to the Crashplan server.  I then rebuilt my server and I'm rebuilding my backup set, here's my question:

In the original backup set I went down each disk and selected the shares I wanted backed up ie /mnt/disk6/home/movies, /mnt/disk5/home/movies, etc.

I've reduced my array size so using this method doesn't work.  For my next backup set I used /user/home/movies but then I noticed there is /user0/home/movies...

Is there a way to backup the top level shares without going down to the /mnt/disk or /user level?

Thanks in advance.

You can always use another backup solution like Carbonite's Unlimited plan (http://www.carbonite.com/en/home/online-backup-pricing) - $59 for unlimited and backup Crashplan's backup.... :P

You can always use another backup solution like Carbonite's Unlimited plan (http://www.carbonite.com/en/home/online-backup-pricing) - $59 for unlimited and backup Crashplan's backup.... :P

call me cheap, but I like FREE when possible! ;D

• 4 weeks later...

I've had some unexpected power outages a few times over the past week (no UPS yet), and Crashplan is causing some annoying behavior.

Note: I've done a full Slackware install with unraid 4.7, which may be the root of my 'user shares not starting' issue, but I haven't been able to get confirmation on that issue.

When my server comes back up after an unclean shutdown, it begins the parity check as expected, but does not auto-mount my user shares.  Is this typical behavior, or unique to me?

My crashplan is configured to back up to /mnt/user/Crashplan.  When it comes up after a power failure, Crashplan auto-starts, but the user shares aren't mounted (not sure if the disk shares get auto-mounted or not).  So Crashplan decides to try to start making a brand new backup completely from scratch under the non-array-mounted directory /mnt/user/Crashplan, which rapidly fills the boot drive.

What I'd like to do is have some mechanism of testing if the array and user shares have been properly configured before telling Crashplan to auto-start in my 'go' script.

I found this snippet in some plugin thread, but unfortunately mdadm considers my array 'STARTED' while it's doing the unclean-shutdown-parity-check:

)
until `cat /proc/mdcmd 2>/dev/null | grep -q -a "STARTED" ` ; do echo ">>>waiting for unraid array to start..." ; sleep 5 ; done ; echo ">>>STARTED."

So it blows right through the wait, launches Crashplan even though the unraid array isn't really ready, and begins a new backup to an unmounted location.

Any ideas on how to properly implement a wait?  I guess a quick fix would be something like

if [-d "/mnt/user/Crashplan"]; then
    <start crashplan>
fi

but I'd prefer something that actually checks the array status, not just whether the directory exists. 

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys.

Trying to get this up and running. I have downloaded CrashPlan and i am following the instructions from page 24. When i issue the command below i get the following. Any ideas?

root@Apu:/boot/packages# tar -zxfv CrashPlan_3.0.3_Linux.tgz

tar (child): v: Cannot open: No such file or directory

tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now

tar: Child returned status 2

tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

root@Apu:/boot/packages#

I ran into this same problem.  Turns out you shouldn't use the hyphen in the command (or at least omitting it worked for me):  tar zxfv CrashPlan_3.0.3_Linux.tgz

I then got several errors about not being able to change the ownership of many/all of the files.

Then, it turned out the files were put in a subfolder, so using Windows, I moved them to the /boot/packages folder... then I was able to continue with the Install.

Hopefully that helps someone else.

Russell

Hi Guys,

I can't get this going...  I run install.sh and go through all the prompts, then get:

cat: ./.defaults: No such file or directory

downloading the JRE using wget

http:///linuxjvm/jre1.6.0_17_i586.tgx: Invalid host name.

Unable to download the JRE; please check network connection

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Russell Schutte

P.S. I installed JRE via unMenu and the Crashplan installer still gave the above message.

Hi Guys,

I rebooted my Unraid box and seem to have gotten a little further, but the install screen doesn't look great at the end of the install:

cat: ./.defaults: No such file or directory

Unpacking /./CrashPlan_3.0.3.cpi ...

37915 blocks

cp: cannot stat 'scripts/Desktop': No such file or directory

chmod: cannot access '/usr/local//bin/Desktop': No such file or directory

cp: cannot stat 'scripts/Engine': No such file or directory

chmod: cannot access '/usr/local//bin/Engine': No such file or directory

./install.sh: line 446: /etc/init.d/: Is a directory

Your linux system is currently configured to watch 8192 files in real time.

We recommend using a larger value; see the CrashPlan support site for details

./install.sh: line 491: /usr/local//bin/Engine: No such file or directory

has been installed and the Service has been started automatically.

Press Enter to complete installation.

Important directories:

Installation:

/usr/local/

Logs:

/usr/local//log

Default archive location:

/mnt/disk1/Backups

Start Scripts:

sudo /usr/local//bin/Engine start|stop

/usr/local//bin/Desktop

You can run the  Desktop UI locally as your own user or connect a remote Desktop UI to this Service via port-forwarding and manage it remotely.  Instructions for remote management are in teh readme files placed in your installation directory:

/usr/local//doc

To start the Desktop UI:

/usr/local/bin/Desktop

Installation is complete.  Thank you for installing  for Linux.

##

So, I think I've got the Windows machine setup correctly - Using Putty, I can connect SSH (in fact, that's how I did this install, if that makes any difference).

But my Windows install fails to connect.  I thought I'd try the command offered (/usr/local/bin/Desktop) but then I get this reply:

-bash: /usr/local/bin/Desktop: Too many levels of symbolic links

Please help.  :-)

Thanks,

Russell Schutte

It's hard to say what's gone wrong as, on the face of it, several things have.

I would suggest starting again from scratch but you're straying from the beaten path quite heavily somewhere along the way. As soon as that happens your problem is likely compounding during further steps..

If you still have trouble, post *exactly* what you're doing step by step (don't just say you're following the guide). Also start off by saying if you're on unraid 4 or 5.

It should work on both but my original docs were for 4, I've never installed under 5 so there may be some subtle differences.  It does work under 5 (and I believe there are plugins elsewhere to help you install) as mine runs under 5 though I just copied my original install over rather than installing again from scratch.

• 1 month later...

There is a new release of Crashplan out (3.2). Whats the best way to upgrade to the latest version ?

Reinstall or ??

All I had to do was stop CrashPlan, ReTar the CrashPlan files, and then restart CrashPlan. Everything was done via UnMenu User Scripts page.