CrashPlan

agw

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

Thanks to these instructions, I have had CrashPlan working for sometime now.

Recent, the engine stop working so began trouble shooting.  I first stop / start the engine, no issues.

I then tried to connect via the CrashPlan app on Windows, by running Putty to set up the tunnel this failed.

I then ran: telnet localhost 4200 and received the following error:

root@Tower:~# telnet localhost 4200

Trying 127.0.0.1...

telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

I have tried to re-tar Crashplan and reboot, also tried to redo the install of the openssl password file.

Nothing has changed from my set up in quite sometime.

Thanks in advance for the support.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Do you have OpenSSH (or equivalent) installed?  If so, is it enabled?  I think most people normally stop it (or don't let it auto enable when restarting unRAID) unless they need it for something specific.

Yes,  I am using UnMENU and have OpenSSH installed via the package manager.  I've since tried reinstalling the package but with the same error happening.  I've had it set to enable on restart, I've also rebooted the unRaid server after the reinstall.

Check crashplan is running :

ps aux | grep java

Look in /usr/local/crashplan/log (or similar - adjust to where you installed it) and see what the logfiles say.

The start / stop scripts won't give you any feedback. Crashplan will usually start and then fail during it's initialisation which will only go to the logs.

Thanks, sry it's taking me so long to reply, very long work days recently.....

Here is what I get when doing : ps aux | grep java

root    10179  0.0  2.2 686080 92936 ?        SNl  Dec02  0:15 /usr/lib/java/bin/java -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx512m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -classpath /usr/local/crashplan/lib/com.backup42.desktop.jar:/usr/local/crashplan/lang com.backup42.service.CPService

root    10238  0.0  0.5 1175344 21856 ?      SNl  Dec02  0:01 /usr/lib/jre1.6.0_11/bin/java -jar /boot/packages/AirVideoServerLinux.jar test.properties

root    20880  0.0  0.0  1988  644 pts/0    S+  22:17  0:00 grep java

So it does seem like the engine is running. 

I also looked at the log files and saw crashplan did a automatic update.  So more reading / research, I used unMenu to retar up the files, and did a reboot.  Still no success and still getting the following when executing a :

telnet localhost 4200

Trying 127.0.0.1...

Should I try to do a completely fresh install at this point?

4200 is just the arbitrary port forwarding port used in the examples here I think.

4243 is the actual port crashplan is listening on. 4242 does something as well but without sitting down and reviewing the set up properly I don't know why.

Anyway - you won't be connecting, locally on your unraid server, to crashplan on port 4200. It doesn't listen there.

Try 4243.

Is it possible crashplan is actually working fine still, you're just having problems connecting the frontend client to the engine?

Thanks.  I don't think it's working as, my reports says it hasn't connected in 30+ days, about the time the log file says it did an update to crashplan. 

Usually when this did happen in the past, I would only have to start up the front end and do a reset and things would start working.  So the only variable I can think of is the auto update failed and for me to try a reinstall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Since, I uninstalled the Crashplan install and did a reinstall with a fresh download from the website.  I'm at a complete loss why I cannot connect the Win client to the UnRaid/Caashplan using putty.

To recap: Use Putty to set up a SSH to 4200 to Localhost: 4243

Try to run : Telnet locahost 4200 on the unraid server

Confirmed that all addins are installed and working (as best I could)

Crash plan has been validated to be running by using : ps aux | grep java

Error of :

Trying 127.0.0.1...

Still occurring, so could it be a issue with the tunneling?

Thanks.

To recap: Use Putty to set up a SSH to 4200 to Localhost: 4243

Try to run : Telnet locahost 4200 on the unraid server

Error of :

Trying 127.0.0.1...

As I mentioned above, 4200 isn't doing anything on your unraid server.

You're creating a tunnel on port 4200 *on the machine running the ssh client* to tunnel to localhost port 4243 at the end of the tunnel. i.e your unraid server, at the end of the tunnel is listening on 4243.

You also need to configure your crashplan client on the machine running the ssh client to connect to the start of the tunnel - localhost 4200.

I'm trying to get Crashplan set up using these instructions.  However it seems I'm having a problem opening the tunnel, I get a message on client startup that the client cannot connect to the backup engine.  I've got the properties file updated to include...  servicePort=4200

I've got Crashplan installed on Unraid and am able to telnet to port 4243 successfully.

Using PuTTY, i created a new 'Crashplan' session, host name 'tower', port 22, using SSH.  I have a SSH tunnel define as L4200    localhost:4243.  When I open this session, I'm prompted to login.  I created a new user account, 'crashplan' that I use at the prompt.  Once the user id and password are entered, the PuTTY session closes.

At this point I start the client on my Windows box and after a few seconds, get the connection error message.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

Yes. Your putty session is closing so you have no tunnel.

Either :

- use the root account

- check your new crashplan user has a valid shell. Try 'chsh crashplan' as root and use /bin/bash. I suspect your putty session is closing because you're logging in with no valid shell so ssh is closing the connection.

Putty should stay running / with a logged in prompt. That's the only way you'll have an established tunnel.

• 2 weeks later...

So after a few solid days and some help I finally got crashplan installed and running.  I am on a Fios 15/5 connection and only transferring about 10GB a day. I have done all the speed tweaks they recommend (upping CPU usage, no deduping, etc). What types of upload speeds are you guys seeing?

• 5 weeks later...

I had a very solid Crashplan install on RC8. I upgraded to RC10 and when I re-enabled my plugins, Crashplan doesn't work anymore.

Before I get too wild and crazy into troubleshooting, has anyone else had this issue?

I've also started having issues with a couple of other plugins.

I had a very solid Crashplan install on RC8. I upgraded to RC10 and when I re-enabled my plugins, Crashplan doesn't work anymore.

Before I get too wild and crazy into troubleshooting, has anyone else had this issue?

I had some issues when upgrading but they were solved by manually downloading the settings image then stopping the array and starting Crashplan.

Hope this helps.

it is due to the new permissions script

you need to change permissions one 2 dirs in the crashplan directory

there was somebody mentioning this in the rx-10 thread in the announcements forum

basicly you need to

chmod 777 /crashpan/cp.bin/bin

chmod 777 /crashplan/cp.bin/jre/bin

after that it should work (stop and start crashplan for it to take effect )

works for me

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a little problem for connect to crashplan.

I have installed crashplan and running

I have installled sshd and running

I  configure ui.properties servicePort=4200

I am connected with putty in ssh and L4200 localhost:4243

I can login...

And I start CrashPlan Desktop on my Computer (win7)

But it say Don't found engine?

Anyone have an idea?

In your putty session, if you do a  "ps -Al | grep java" do you see a process running?

In windows, in a command line, if you do "netstat -a" do you see the port 4200 open?

Hello,

I have a little problem for connect to crashplan.

I have installed crashplan and running

I have installled sshd and running

I  configure ui.properties servicePort=4200

I am connected with putty in ssh and L4200 localhost:4243

I can login...

And I start CrashPlan Desktop on my Computer (win7)

But it say Don't found engine?

Anyone have an idea?

That matches what I see on my boxes. 

Just to make sure, is the error message "Unable to connect to he backup engine"when starting the crashplan GUI?

Did you edit the right config file?  C:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf\ui.properties

I'm running out of ideas here, sorry I don't have a smoking gun...