jonp on Category5 Tech TV to talk about unRAID 6! [VIDEO] FINAL RELEASE DATE

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We should probably also say thank you to all the amazing docker authors, not least of all is Sparklyballs of course.  Without those guys the infrastructure would still be there but not all the innovative, useful and wonderful dockers that have transformed Unraid and enabled Jon to go out there and show people what can be done.  The unsung heros, if someone 6 months ago had told me that a strange man called Sparklyballs would have had such an effect on my life, well, I wouldn't have believed them!  ;D

Agree ... it was an impressive presentation => certainly shows off the multiple capabilities of v6.  Too bad the bandwidth was limited to Skype, as it would have been cool to show off the high-performance gaming you can do when you have a good video card (as you do).

I hope the projected release date can be met (as I'm sure you know LT's history of meeting projected dates isn't particularly good).    ... and the technical error r.e. the i7-4790k probably wasn't noticed by many viewers.

Jon did an amazing job!  He was really in his element.  Jon will chime in later, but the video feed and everything he was doing on the monitor was recorded (on the same server btw).  I believe they will be taking that content and splicing it in to the final episode video they end up archiving and will be much better quality.

Jon did an amazing job!  He was really in his element.  Jon will chime in later, but the video feed and everything he was doing on the monitor was recorded (on the same server btw).  I believe they will be taking that content and splicing it in to the final episode video they end up archiving and will be much better quality.

Jon is a real credit to Limetech, you should be very proud of him!

Very much so!  As well as Eric.

Also, that's how Jon talks all the time.  It's a good thing Robbie didn't really get further into gaming or else they never would've been able to break to get the news on  ;D

Very much so!  As well as Eric.

Also, that's how Jon talks all the time.  It's a good thing Robbie didn't really get further into gaming or else they never would've been able to break to get the news on  ;D

Eric's pretty cool too.

... that's how Jon talks all the time.  It's a good thing Robbie didn't really get further into gaming or else they never would've been able to break to get the news on  ;D

Good thing the bandwidth was limited by Skype => Jon was clearly "itching" to show off the capabilities, but recognized that Skype wouldn't do that very well, so he demurred  :)

If that hadn't been an issue, we'd probably STILL be watching the demonstration  :)

... that's how Jon talks all the time.  It's a good thing Robbie didn't really get further into gaming or else they never would've been able to break to get the news on  ;D

Good thing the bandwidth was limited by Skype => Jon was clearly "itching" to show off the capabilities, but recognized that Skype wouldn't do that very well, so he demurred  :)

If that hadn't been an issue, we'd probably STILL be watching the demonstration  :)

his enthusiasm was infectious.

JonP => Interesting so far ... but just FYI, an i7-4790K is a FOUR core processor ... NOT EIGHT (which you just said several times)

It's eight hyperthreaded cores.

No, it's FOUR hyperthreaded cores, which allows you to run eight threads.    An i7-5960X has 8 hyperthreaded cores (and can thus run 16 threads).    Or you can always move to a Xeon E5-4669V3, which has 18 hyperthreaded cores [thus 36 threads  :) ]

Hyperthreading (as I'm sure you know) does NOT add a core to the processor ... it just adds an additional set of registers with hardware state switching to facilitate faster switching between threads.

JonP => Interesting so far ... but just FYI, an i7-4790K is a FOUR core processor ... NOT EIGHT (which you just said several times)

It's eight hyperthreaded cores.

No, it's FOUR hyperthreaded cores, which allows you to run eight threads.    An i7-5960X has 8 hyperthreaded cores (and can thus run 16 threads).    Or you can always move to a Xeon E5-4669V3, which has 18 hyperthreaded cores [thus 36 threads  :) ]

Hyperthreading (as I'm sure you know) does NOT add a core to the processor ... it just adds an additional set of registers with hardware state switching to facilitate faster switching between threads.

and thus began the threads v cores war of mid 2015

they have rss feeds for their broadcasts, but i think that's after the fact though.

Yes they do, I added this RSS Feed into the "Podcast" plugin for EMBY and it's showing the previous shows (for now): http://rss.cat5.tv/hd.rss

More options available, including AUDIO only at: http://www.category5.tv/rss.php

They also have a YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/category5tv

i'll see if that works in my rss aggregrator..

Thanks Tom and to everyone for all the support and Robbie too for doing a terrific job asking some great questions. You guys have no idea how stressful this was.  Prior to recording, we were having some issues on Skype / Internet connectivity between Cat5 and us.  We were troubleshooting until about the 2 minute mark when everything just decided to be fine.

But adding to that was the fact that my connection was coming from a localized virtual desktop running on unRAID 6, which was also, in real-time, capturing my screen footage using NVIDIA ShadowPlay and saving it to my array over a user share mapped as a network drive in Windows (phew!  talk about a mouthful!)  So when it comes to eating our own dog food:

dog-eating-food2.jpg

Yeah, got that one covered ;-).  Anyhow, hope you guys are as excited as we are about bring unRAID 6.0 final to you on Monday!!