jonp on Category5 Tech TV to talk about unRAID 6! [VIDEO] FINAL RELEASE DATE

I watched Category5TV back in the early days (episode 103 was a major influencer in me building my first unRAID system)

I enjoyed last night a lot though I guess there was little really new in it, though it has inspired me to give Docker a whirl just as soon as my new memory arrives. Finally tracked down a bunch of disparate issues to a pair of bad 8GB sticks.

Well done all.

Thanks! Yes, we hear that a lot: people who chose to go with unRAID having seen Episode 103 and some of the supplemental content. We're so glad to help and we certainly love unRAID!

You're right that what we covered wasn't really "new" on this week's show, but we decided to take an approach that I'm sure you can understand and appreciate: to introduce unRAID to new users. Much like we did for you back on Episode 103. I said it during the show, that the "big announcement" may not seem big to people who are already big fans of unRAID, probably running the RC, but realistically, we need to share unRAID 6 with people who have never heard of it, or perhaps are trying to decide which [ahem] NAS solution to choose.

When we did Episode 103, it was really down to three choices: Drobo, unRAID or FreeNAS. With Episode 403 (300 weeks later to the day!) we leave those viewers with no choice. unRAID is no longer one of a handful of great options. unRAID is a trendsetter: a bleeding-edge leader.

Thanks for watching the show and hopefully you'll also tune in for our weekly show. There's a ton of great content there, and a wonderful community too.

Cheers,

Robbie

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been pretty quiet in this forum for a long time now.  However, I am very happy and please with Lime Techs new UnRaid 6.  My wife will be so happy that we do not need to have the HTPC anymore, and I can actually use that for something else.

Really awesome.  Excellent work!  Now, time to update my 5.0 set up!

I've been pretty quiet in this forum for a long time now.  However, I am very happy and please with Lime Techs new UnRaid 6.  My wife will be so happy that we do not need to have the HTPC anymore, and I can actually use that for something else.

" ..AZZA Helios 910 CSAZ-910 Mid-Tower.. "

Woah - I loved this bad boy! Can't get it now!

This is a great case for a similar Unraid build.  Zalman MS-800plus  All the front panels pop off so you get 10 x 5.25" forward facing external bays.  Great for putting hotswap cages in.  I've got 3 x 5in3 and 1 x 5.25=>3.5 drive bays giving me sixteen 3.5" bays.  I love it.

... in an advertisement we're working on?

One thing you might want to be sure you correct in your advertisement is the specifications for the system.

The web page shows:

*Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 Ivy Bridge  *CPU: Xeon E3-1231 v3 Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz, 80W

*Memory Size: 16GB DDR3/1600 ECC DRAM Standard (additional 16GB DDR3/1600 ECC DRAM – add $200)

*Extra Memory Slot: Yes

*Supports IPMI

*Case System Fans: 2 x 60mm PWM thermally controlled

*Monitor Supported: VGA

*Gigabit LAN Ports: 2

TDP is right; # of cores is right;  I presume the motherboard capabilities are correct;  BUT the 1231V3 is NOT an Ivy Bridge CPU  (it's a Haswell)

Really rather impressed with the video. Certainly way better presented and discussed than I could ever have hoped to do.

It makes me think that beyond the cool graphics vid there would be scope for some videos pitched in a similar way to point new users at.

How many times have we all had to explain parity, cache over the years and now docker is even worse. After seing this vid i know how bad I have done explaining things to these new user IRL. I just pitch it too high.

unRAID university 101 perhaps?

How are you growing your money tree and where can i get seeds!! :o

:) :)

Just carefully water it for 30 years or so.  I always lived by the "85% rule" => i.e. pretend you're only making 85% of what you actually make -- save and invest the other 15% and NEVER touch those investments.    Doing this let me retire when I was 52 ... and my income from my investments is now well above what I ever made working, so we can pretty much do whatever we want.    It DOES require patience -- the "tree" took 30 years to grow  :)

Hmmm do I smell a Bogleheader?

I've been following the same plan myself, a few missteps and life events along the way, but for the most part I'm on track. The biggest thing I've done lately, changed that 85% rule to a 65% rule partly by making a bit more (recent job change) but mostly by cutting expenses (thank you YNAB!!!) ... if I can keep that up and move to a cheaper cost of living area this year with the same salary (to make it a 45% rule) I'll be retired in 2 years or less at 44.

Back on topic ... you know what I'm not seeing on the forums anywhere, an actual announcement of the June 15th release date!!! Why isn't that in the announcement area?

The biggest thing I've done lately, changed that 85% rule to a 65% rule ...

... if I can keep that up and move to a cheaper cost of living area this year with the same salary (to make it a 45% rule) I'll be retired in 2 years or less at 44.

The last 5 years or so I worked was actually more like a 65% rule as well ... but I never made it to a 45% rule !!  THAT is some serious savings !!  ... and 44 is a very nice retirement age (I thought I did okay at 52, but clearly earlier is even better)    Considering we had 4 kids, it was probably not realistic to get down below about 80% until they were all adults.

Back on topic ... you know what I'm not seeing on the forums anywhere, an actual announcement of the June 15th release date!!! Why isn't that in the announcement area?

A VERY good question  :) :)

The biggest thing I've done lately, changed that 85% rule to a 65% rule ...

... if I can keep that up and move to a cheaper cost of living area this year with the same salary (to make it a 45% rule) I'll be retired in 2 years or less at 44.

The last 5 years or so I worked was actually more like a 65% rule as well ... but I never made it to a 45% rule !!  THAT is some serious savings !!  ... and 44 is a very nice retirement age (I thought I did okay at 52, but clearly earlier is even better)    Considering we had 4 kids, it was probably not realistic to get down below about 80% until they were all adults.

The real trick has been avoiding lifestyle creep. At a certain point in the past, and planned in the future, I made the decision to bank the VAST majority of every additional dollar I made. Every pay raise, and my recent job change, saw nearly 95% of my extra salary put into savings vice increasing our lifestyle. The same rule will apply for getting to 45% because when we move from our current very high cost of living area (DC Metro) to a much lower one (Austin, TX), 95% of all that freed money will get plowed into savings. Technically, that move would allow me to stop working immediately, but if I can get 1-2 years of DC level salary out of my employer while living on Austin level expenses I'll be quite happy.

FOUR MORE DAYS!!!

Really rather impressed with the video. Certainly way better presented and discussed than I could ever have hoped to do.

It makes me think that beyond the cool graphics vid there would be scope for some videos pitched in a similar way to point new users at.

How many times have we all had to explain parity, cache over the years and now docker is even worse. After seing this vid i know how bad I have done explaining things to these new user IRL. I just pitch it too high.

Thanks NAS!  Appreciate the feedback. I am working on more video content like a mad man right now. There will be a series of videos we will publish to inform folks what can be done with unRAID and how. As much as text and pictures on the website can help, a lot more understanding can be achieved in a lot less time when watching a video.

Thanks NAS!  Appreciate the feedback. I am working on more video content like a mad man right now. There will be a series of videos we will publish to inform folks what can be done with unRAID and how. As much as text and pictures on the website can help, a lot more understanding can be achieved in a lot less time when watching a video.

absolutely, the amount of times i've tried to read a solution for something on a tech site and been stumped, only to find a video and get the issue solved.

That's what Category5 is all about. You just need to familiarize yourself with our vast library of content  :)

http://cat5.tv/parity ... oldie but a goodie!

Thanks for the kind words -- glad you enjoyed the feature on unRAID 6.  We would love to do a bunch of unRAID videos for you all, so go buy your unRAID licenses and let them know we sent you, or visit donate.category5.tv to help fund the production of the videos. Category5 TV Network will support unRAID and the community as much as we can, so if you need anything specific, just let us know (via our site please, so we don't miss it).

IMHO the Lime Tech guys should be able to focus their efforts entirely on unRAID while webcasters such as Category5 (and others) take care of the video tutorials.

if I can keep that up and move to a cheaper cost of living area this year with the same salary (to make it a 45% rule) I'll be retired in 2 years or less at 44.

That would be good going.  In 2007 I retired at age 54, to a lower-cost-of-living area (the Philippines), but the financial problems of 2008 disrupted my plans - 6+% interesest rates dropped to virtually nothing, and the pound weakened.  A little bit of financial re-juggling and we're surviving, but with two new babies (now 2 and 6), and several 'adopted' older students (high school and college), things are still tight.

In less than 4 years I will be receiving my state pension, and I haven't yet started drawing on my private pension fund, so there shouldn't be any serious crisis in the future.

Back on topic:  I did, eventually, manage to view the video and found it very impressive.  Hopefully it will attract a lot of new users and increased revenue for LT.  Well done.

... In 2007 I retired at age 54, to a lower-cost-of-living area (the Philippines), but the financial problems of 2008 disrupted my plans - 6+% interesest rates dropped to virtually nothing, and the pound weakened.

I understand that well.  I retired in 2000, and within 3 months the market had crashed BIG TIME => my investments were down over 40% and I was really wondering if I'd quit too early (I was 52).    We survived ... and by 2008 had more than recovered -- only to be hit once again !!  Fortunately all's recovered yet-again => which must mean it's time for another crash  :)

... In 2007 I retired at age 54, to a lower-cost-of-living area (the Philippines), but the financial problems of 2008 disrupted my plans - 6+% interesest rates dropped to virtually nothing, and the pound weakened.

I understand that well.  I retired in 2000, and within 3 months the market had crashed BIG TIME => my investments were down over 40% and I was really wondering if I'd quit too early (I was 52).    We survived ... and by 2008 had more than recovered -- only to be hit once again !!  Fortunately all's recovered yet-again => which must mean it's time for another crash  :)

Shhhhhhh!!! I am only 34 and things are looking good!!

I don't really like this case due to the large side fan.  I actually wanted to get MS800 Plus Computer Case, but it was out of stock a the time.

That is perfect, a nice mini crash plus consistent contributions and you'll dollar cost average yourself to a nice little nest egg.

Shhhhhhh!!! I am only 34 and things are looking good!!

jonp has got Hollywood fever! He's going to be in Celebrity Big Brother next year!

Seriously though, I think it's a great idea jon.  It's far removed from the experiences a lot of us had using 4.7 and 5.0...  8)

absolutely, the amount of times i've tried to read a solution for something on a tech site and been stumped, only to find a video and get the issue solved.

never a truer word...