jonp on Category5 Tech TV to talk about unRAID 6! [VIDEO] FINAL RELEASE DATE

...and thus began the threads v cores war of mid 2015

??  Threads and cores are very well defined.  Nothing to debate.

Intel clearly shows both numbers for all of their processors.  And it's rather universal that a "core" means the actual processing unit.  Hyper-threading is certainly no substitute for additional cores, but it does provide a bit of a boost for multi-threaded OS's by making state switching for a core nearly instantaneous (a single clock cycle can switch the entire register set).

As for the 4970K ... per Intel's Ark site:

# of Cores    4

# of Threads  8

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, got that one covered ;-).  Anyhow, hope you guys are as excited as we are about bring unRAID 6.0 final to you on Monday!!

Did Limetech just announce a release date ?

hands-on-ears.jpg

Guess you missed the show.  Yup!  This puppy is finally ready to be unleashed.  Exciting times!!

Is there a link to watch the show back yet?

Not yet. It will be posted tomorrow (morning I believe).

Roger that, so late this evening some time. (Australia)

You got it!  Man...always wanted to visit Australia. Seems like such a cool country.

... always wanted to visit Australia. Seems like such a cool country.

Ditto.  In fact we bought a 3 1/2 week trip to Australia and New Zealand that we were supposed to take in Feb/March this year.    We were REALLY looking forward to it ... and then my wife fell in the shower the last week of January and fractured two of her vertebrae.  NOT fun ... it's been an excruciating 4 months.    All's reasonably well now, but we had to cancel a trip to our son's law school graduation (the day she fell);  the trip to Australia/NZ;  a 3 week trip to Europe we had planned for this month;  and a trip we were planning to the Galapagos Islands in August.

We're doing a couple cruises this fall, and plan to do all of the canceled trips next year, but life has a way of tossing some nasty curve balls at you every once-in-a-while !!    Fortunately I had purchased trip insurance, but cancelled non-refundable airplane tickets; penalties; non-refundable "stuff" (Visas, power adapters, etc.); still cost us more than a nice extra UnRAID server would have !!

... always wanted to visit Australia. Seems like such a cool country.

Ditto.  In fact we bought a 3 1/2 week trip to Australia and New Zealand that we were supposed to take in Feb/March this year.    We were REALLY looking forward to it ... and then my wife fell in the shower the last week of January and fractured two of her vertebrae.  NOT fun ... it's been an excruciating 4 months.    All's reasonably well now, but we had to cancel a trip to our son's law school graduation (the day she fell);  the trip to Australia/NZ;  a 3 week trip to Europe we had planned for this month;  and a trip we were planning to the Galapagos Islands in August.

We're doing a couple cruises this fall, and plan to do all of the canceled trips next year, but life has a way of tossing some nasty curve balls at you every once-in-a-while !!    Fortunately I had purchased trip insurance, but cancelled non-refundable airplane tickets; penalties; non-refundable "stuff" (Visas, power adapters, etc.); still cost us more than a nice extra UnRAID server would have !!

Can I quote that last bit in an advertisement we're working on?

"The AVS 10-4 with unRAID 6, cheaper than canceling nonrefundable airfare to New Zealand!" - garycase

No !!

... and actually it's not true.  The total cancellation fees/penalties we absorbed as a result of ALL of our cancellations were more than the server -- but not just the trip to Aussieland.    And no, you can't quote that either !!

I did think about telling my wife we should just not go next year and I could buy a bunch of new tech gear ... but I doubt she'd think that was a very good idea  :)

Hey folks,

Thanks so much for tuning in! Glad you enjoyed the show! Yes, it's too bad we were limited to Skype video quality when it comes to the gaming (did you see Jon's look when I suggested we try it?!)  LOL - but it was great getting to chat with Jon about the release, and a few teasers of what's to come as well.

The HD video recording is on its way to YouTube as well as our cloud--so you'll start to see it on Roku, RSS, and wherever you watch in about 3 hours (roughly 10am Toronto time).

I will update my original thread with the links once the show is up.

Enjoy the higher-res version!  :)

Robbie

@jonp,

Can you expand upon the fast windows storage you were talking about on the show?  I'm confused as to how that would work, and is that implemented yet?  That was the first I had heard of it.  I'd love to give that a shot.  I was thinking that maybe it made sense as a separate drive, but you said it would work from your C: drive.  I'm confused as to how you could do SSD caching from within a VM, as that concept seems really hardware based to me.  Is it some sort of iscsi (or other block level) feature?

You got it!  Man...always wanted to visit Australia. Seems like such a cool country.

You guys should come down under! We could arrange to do a webcast about Unraid 7.0 from Mornington Peninsular here in VIC at Sunset over an ice bucket of Stubbies and a Bucket of prawns straight of the boat!! :-)

http://www.australianexplorer.com/competition/C1023/8909.htm#gallery

****ing cold at the moment, barely up to 13C (or 55F in oldie imperial units).

-6 in Canberra @ ~7am last week when I had to go to head office!!

A bit chilly here in VIC but BNE was fine last week too!

P.S: on topic - great job jonp!!!

You guys should come down under! We could arrange to do a webcast about Unraid 7.0 from Mornington Peninsular here in VIC at Sunset over an ice bucket of Stubbies and a Bucket of prawns straight of the boat!! :-)

saw the blue penguins somewhere round that neck of the woods a few years back.

Unraid 7.0?! Do you normally plan things that far in advance?  ;)

unraid 7 will have to have something exceptional to rise above 6.0 over 5.0 in terms of change from the previous version.

A trip down under takes some planning! Plus such a trip would have to mark something monumental - like Dual Parity for v7.0?? ;-)

A trip down under takes some planning! Plus such a trip would have to mark something monumental - like Dual Parity for v7.0?? ;-)

In fact I'll go as far as to say - if they promise Dual Parity for v7 and want to trip down under to celebrate - I'll buy the beer for whoever comes and bbq the prawns myself!!!

Incentive? :-)

or built in voice-control (like siri)

although it will have to distinguish accents rather better, if you're having a party that isn't going to well and some of the guests yell

"f@€k this party" and unraid interprets that as "f@€k this parity" , gonna have a long rebuild, lol.

In fact I'll go as far as to say - if they promise Dual Parity for v7 and want to trip down under to celebrate - I'll buy the beer for whoever comes and bbq the prawns myself!!!

are you offering to poison me ?

i'm allergic to seafood in general

are you offering to poison me ?

i'm allergic to seafood in general

You're English I know it!!! I've been here 10 years but I can spot one a mile off! Allergic to Seafood I ask you!! Sigh!! ;-)

I'll do you a well done burger, pie and peas with mash and chips with gravy (or baked beans if you're from up North!!)!! ;-)