[FEATURE REQUEST - KVM] Mobile app for basic (start/stop) VM management

I have no problem using the unRAID web GUI to manage my VMs, but I was thinking about creating VMs for other family members and how they would control them. I think it would be a great feature if unRAID had a mobile app which would allow users (wife and kids) to perform very basic VM tasks such as start, force stop and reset. Each VM would have permissions for who could control it remotely from the app.

I know this won't be high on the priority list of feature requests, but I think this would be a great addition to allow non-techies to have basic control of their VMs and would align with Lime Technology's goal of pushing their solutions beyond the tech savvy crowd.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

This is a great request and one that we want to do.  There may be a shorter-term solution for you as there is a libvirt-compatible mobile app that can do what you want, but we'd have to configure libvirt on unRAID to allow connections from it.

+1 on the iPhone app to manage my VMs.

There is a KVM Remote on appstore, but if i understand correctly, I cant use that with unRAID?

JoWe

• 3 weeks later...

As a new Unraid user, i can confirm that this is the first thing i was missing after completing my installation and adding my first VM.

I'd like to be able to switch VM's via my phone. But there are no Unraid apps in the Play Store. (i was actually somewhat flabbergasted by this)

The app should allow me to ask for authentication every time. (and transmit that securely to the Unraid server)

Perhaps a good bet would be to re-do the whole interface using React and a backend REST API.. it wouldnt hurt! But cost a lot of time tho.

As a new Unraid user, i can confirm that this is the first thing i was missing after completing my installation and adding my first VM.

I'd like to be able to switch VM's via my phone. But there are no Unraid apps in the Play Store. (i was actually somewhat flabbergasted by this)

The app should allow me to ask for authentication every time. (and transmit that securely to the Unraid server)

Perhaps a good bet would be to re-do the whole interface using React and a backend REST API.. it wouldnt hurt! But cost a lot of time tho.

Yeah, a LOT of time.  In the meantime, you can use a mobile browser and navigate to the webGui that way.  Is it better than a native app?  No.  Is it functional?  yes.

• 3 weeks later...

I think this is a great idea.

But what you can do right now.What i do is to use a "wake on lan" app on my android phone and tablet.

This used with the VM Wake On Lan plugin means you can start a vm easily from the phone.

My girlfriend does this to start openelec. Then once any vm has started, well its not too hard to shutdown!!!!!

but a dedicated app.....yes please

• 11 months later...

hi again Gridrunner  ;)

I asked JonP about this ages ago and it was "forthcoming" but nothing yet...

For me this is the ONE missing feature. If you have one machine and screen you can hardly switch your VM off and then switch another VM on via the unRAID web interface.

If it is a simple web form then can we PLEASE have one? All I want is a list of VMs, and big buttons to start/stop/restart[not sure I need that] them in a design friendly for a 4+" screen (lets assume the 3.5" screen is gone!).

If someone can design their own (I can't!) then please share it..

hi again Gridrunner  ;)

I asked JonP about this ages ago and it was "forthcoming" but nothing yet...

For me this is the ONE missing feature. If you have one machine and screen you can hardly switch your VM off and then switch another VM on via the unRAID web interface.

If it is a simple web form then can we PLEASE have one? All I want is a list of VMs, and big buttons to start/stop/restart[not sure I need that] them in a design friendly for a 4+" screen (lets assume the 3.5" screen is gone!).

If someone can design their own (I can't!) then please share it..

Jbrodriguez has created a nice mobile app for Android/IOS called ControlIR.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=49620.msg475752.msg#475752

Thanks... that is a paid app (but not expensive) but its overly complicated.. Just want a simple single page with BIG buttons to start/stop Vms.. no need for other bells n whistles.. And really LT should be putting this in the unRAID GUI... ie

http:\\tower\

http:\\m.tower\ for mobile interface or whatever?

Thanks... that is a paid app (but not expensive) but its overly complicated.. Just want a simple single page with BIG buttons to start/stop Vms.. no need for other bells n whistles.. And really LT should be putting this in the unRAID GUI... ie

http:\\tower\

http:\\m.tower\ for mobile interface or whatever?

I agree that a mobile web style would be nice since I use my phone most the time .

• 6 years later...

Hi,
I'm reviving this topic because I have developped a responsive web app to launch my vms and I want to know if this still a problem for some of you and if it would interest some people if I make this project public for everyone to enjoy it.

As you can see on the below pictures it's a very basic application. I use it on a daily basis for month now and it's very pratical.

image.thumb.png.88d831fdf11b8ae6e01479adc3e51bfe.png

image.thumb.png.9cb60fe2347ea12c6cab069b9ae7cb4a.png

Cordially

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...