[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

43 minutes ago, Shadowmists said:

If I try to play the video from the Unraid Plex server, it comes up to a screen where the file gets to about 33% and stays there when trying to view the file though the Roku . It shows buffering though the web app when I look to see what is going on.  if I try to use the web browser it just goes to a black screen and does not progress

ok, looking like a issue with decoding the video

may try the following, stop the container, delete the codec folder located in your appdata plex subsection

sample location \appdata\PlexMediaServer\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server

44 minutes ago, Shadowmists said:

Running from plexinc/pms-docker.  Computer is Ryzen 3900x with 32Gb of ram and Server is up to date.

then you are actually in the wrong Thread here ... this is the plex linuxserver Thread ... not the plexinc one ;)

48 minutes ago, Shadowmists said:

Video card was in the windows plex server for transcoding,  it is Nvidia  RTX A2000.  I followed a video on getting the video card added into the unraid server from Spaceinvader one,  how to use GPU transcoding on Emby or Plex container.  I few things were different and we ended using using the Nvideia-Driver, ich777's Repository from the app store.  did not make a difference.  

well ... so on your windows Server you where using a GPU, did you look into it if its actually transcoding using your roku ?

and about adding it to plex on unraid, there is a manual on the nvidia plugin page ... page 1, incl. pictures ;)

also there, did you check if its actually using it ?

may rather look at the plexinc thread as this is the wrong place actually ;)

Thanks for looking and showing me the codex folder.  I saw other post where people talked about a tmp file in there.  I stopped the docker and I fixed a permission issue and deleted it like you said.  Restarted the Docker and issue looks to be resloved.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Plex Appears to be Transcoding when not in use

I noticed one of my cores was always at 100% in the unRaid dashboard. A simple htop in the console shows it's coming from Plex. Except, when I go to my plex server in a browser it reports no activity. I checked conversions, nothing there. I also checked all my settings and I have nothing set to optimize, or transcode. I've been using Plex forever and I've never set it to optimize or pre-transcode, etc.

I love this container, just not sure what to do. Oh, if I stop it and then restart it goes away and I can use Plex like normal. Then, some indeterminate time (within 24 hrs) it starts up again.

unRaid 6.12.6

Lastest patch on the Plex Container (I ran an update, problem re-occurred)

This is the last bit of my log

Critical: libusb_init failed
Stopping Plex Media Server.
[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 40-plex-first-run: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 40-plex-first-run: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-hw-transcode-and-connected-tuner: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 45-plex-hw-transcode-and-connected-tuner: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: executing... 
[cont-init.d] 50-plex-update: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
Starting Plex Media Server.
[services.d] done.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] done.

Thank you for any help!

htop - plex.png

6 minutes ago, kteach said:

Plex Appears to be Transcoding when not in use

I noticed one of my cores was always at 100% in the unRaid dashboard. A simple htop in the console shows it's coming from Plex. Except, when I go to my plex server in a browser it reports no activity. I checked conversions, nothing there. I also checked all my settings and I have nothing set to optimize, or transcode. I've been using Plex forever and I've never set it to optimize or pre-transcode, etc.

I love this container, just not sure what to do. Oh, if I stop it and then restart it goes away and I can use Plex like normal. Then, some indeterminate time (within 24 hrs) it starts up again.

unRaid 6.12.6

Lastest patch on the Plex Container (I ran an update, problem re-occurred)

This is the last bit of my log

[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] done.
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] done.

Thank you for any help!

htop - plex.png

Do you have any Scheduled Tasks in Plex?  They have a section in server settings and a set time that you can compare to when you typically see CPU usage peg 1 core 100%

This could be audio normalizing, video thumbnail generation, intro/credit detection, local metadata updates, database backups, etc.  Some of those settings might be on libraries themselves.

image.thumb.png.e98f5915055adc059685a1cf8260dbba.png

8 minutes ago, axipher said:

Do you have any Scheduled Tasks in Plex?  They have a section in server settings and a set time that you can compare to when you typically see CPU usage peg 1 core 100%

This could be audio normalizing, video thumbnail generation, intro/credit detection, local metadata updates, database backups, etc.  Some of those settings might be on libraries themselves.

image.thumb.png.e98f5915055adc059685a1cf8260dbba.png

OK, yes, I have all the same things checked as you. I guess it could be doing any of those things. That said, it is around 10:00am and my time matches your picture. So the tasks should have stopped right? Thank you for the quick reply!

22 minutes ago, kteach said:

OK, yes, I have all the same things checked as you. I guess it could be doing any of those things. That said, it is around 10:00am and my time matches your picture. So the tasks should have stopped right? Thank you for the quick reply!

I'm no expert on all the other things Plex server does in the background, but if it starts pretty much on an hour mark, it is more than likely some automated task or clean-up happening.  In Settings at the bottom, there is a Console Menu that lets you see the active logs of the server and you might be able to search through that to see what is using up your CPU in Plex.

26 minutes ago, axipher said:

I'm no expert on all the other things Plex server does in the background, but if it starts pretty much on an hour mark, it is more than likely some automated task or clean-up happening.  In Settings at the bottom, there is a Console Menu that lets you see the active logs of the server and you might be able to search through that to see what is using up your CPU in Plex.

Thank you. There is nothing there now which is causing any CPU hit (since I restarted the container) I'll check the console again next time I notice the one core going 100%. It surprisingly chatty IMO  . Here is an example of a couple of seconds (attached picture)

image.thumb.png.b596bd329ed4525c36dfd1716a02b0ef.png

I installed the Plex container and everything seems to be up and running properly. I've opened the appropriate port and enable remote sharing, however despite some clients working I can't seem to connect via app.plex.com because it says it is unable to connect securely (I have SSL set to preferred). I think this must be some sort of problem with my cert, or the lack of a cert generated by Plex or something. If I access my server IP https://192.168.50.11 I can access the Unraid UI (after ignoring the self signed cert error). However if I try to load the Plex UI over SSL like https://192.168.50.11:32400/web I Just get an instant failure "192.168.50.11 unexpectedly closed the connection. ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED".

I'm assuming this is why Plex is saying that it can't establish a remote connection securely but I guess I'm not really sure. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

9 hours ago, Riboflavin said:

I'm assuming this is why Plex is saying that it can't establish a remote connection securely but I guess I'm not really sure. Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

may as starter ... https://support.plex.tv/articles/206225077-how-to-use-secure-server-connections/

but in the end, i assume almost all are using a reverse proxy to access their services vie SSL ... so setup a reverse proxy like Nginx Proxy Manager, swag, traefik, ... and access your services vie htts then ...

• 2 weeks later...