[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

linuxserver_medium.png

Application Name: Plex Media Server

Application Site: https://plex.tv/

Docker Hub: https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex/

Github: https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-plex

Pfsense, Plex & VPN Guide

Please post any questions/issues relating to this docker you have in this thread.

If you are not using Unraid (and you should be!) then please do not post here, instead head to linuxserver.io to see how to get support.

EDIT: 11/6/19

We've made it easier to get Nvidia & iGPU hardware trancoding working with this container.  This post will detail what you need to do to use either of these in your container. (PlexPass Required)

Nvidia

1.  Install the Unraid Nvidia Plugin, download the version of Unraid required containing the Nvidia drivers and reboot

2.  Add the Plex container and add --runtime=nvidia to extra parameters (switch on advanced template view) and copy your GPU UUID to the pre-existing NVIDIA_VISIBLE_DEVICES parameter.  There is no need to utilise the NVIDIA_DRIVER_CAPABILITIES parameter any more.  This is handled by our container.

Intel GPU

1.  Edit your go file and add modprobe i915 to it, save and reboot.

2.  Add the Plex container and add --device=/dev/dri to extra parameters (switch on advanced template view)  There is no need to chmod/chown the /dev/dri, this is handled by the container.

Edited by linuxserver.io
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I have just switched over from limetech plex to linuxserver plex and noticed that all of the Plug-In items (plex\Library\Application Support\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins) have been removed. In particular I am looking for the PlexThemeMusic.bundle item. This one is needed in order to get theme music for when I use the DVD Order Agent plugin to correctly list TV Shows that should be in DVD Order such as Firefly.

I can add it manually but on a restart the plug-in gets removed. Is there a way of adding this and have it survive a restart?

Upon initial install, I'm getting a "you do not have permission to access this server" message.  I've installed Plex from other containers in the past, but their appdata and containers have been deleted for a while now.  Not sure what's up.

Nevermind.  Was doing initial setup through VPN.  I guess it doesn't like that.

Does this script

Running /etc/my_init.d/99_chown_plex_owned_files.sh.

really need to run at every start. It seems to chown my entire plex config folder, taking several minutes.

Yes and no,

It runs every time, but it only acctually touch any new file since last startup. (Working on a fix for that aswell).

I just installed the Linuxserver Plex docker and I'm seeing some log messages every few seconds that I'm unsure about.  Just to note, I previously had needo's docker so when I installed the Linuxserver docker, the config folder contents were all from my old docker.

Invalid response packet from host 10.0.10.102.

Invalid response packet from host 10.0.10.50.

Both those IPs are Windows 10 machines (PC and Surface).

It does. Look in advance settings and set the Variable Name PLEXPASS to 1 in the section Environment Variables.

Does this DOCKER still support PlexPass? I installed this and couldn't find where to enter my PlexPass information. Is there detailed steps to install and configure this DOCKER? sorry I'm new to all this.

Well Actually we just changed that, the Variable is now called VERSION set it to plexpass.

• Like 1

I just installed the Linuxserver Plex docker and I'm seeing some log messages every few seconds that I'm unsure about.  Just to note, I previously had needo's docker so when I installed the Linuxserver docker, the config folder contents were all from my old docker.

Both those IPs are Windows 10 machines (PC and Surface).

Known Windows 10 bug.

It does. Look in advance settings and set the Variable Name PLEXPASS to 1 in the section Environment Variables.

Does this DOCKER still support PlexPass? I installed this and couldn't find where to enter my PlexPass information. Is there detailed steps to install and configure this DOCKER? sorry I'm new to all this.

Well Actually we just changed that, the Variable is now called VERSION set it to plexpass.

So you need to know the plexpass version now?

Mine right now says it's trying to upgrade to PLEXPASS instead of a version number in the past and is now stuck

Mine right now says it's trying to upgrade to PLEXPASS instead of a version number in the past and is now stuck

Sorry for that, the version Should be "plexpass" lowercase, ill patch so that won't matter in the morning.

Sorry for that, the version Should be "plexpass" lowercase, ill patch so that won't matter in the morning.

have version PLEXPASS and am now getting the following then using lower case:

-----------------------------------

GID/UID

User uid: 99

User gid: 100

Useing version: 0.9.12.11.1406-8403350 from Public latest

Upgradeing from version: 0.9.12.11.1406-8403350 to version: 0.9.12.11.1406-8403350

not using plexpass version?

Myk

have version PLEXPASS and am now getting the following then using lower case:

GID/UID

User uid: 99

User gid: 100

Useing version: 0.9.12.11.1406-8403350 from Public latest

Upgradeing from version: 0.9.12.11.1406-8403350 to version: 0.9.12.11.1406-8403350

not using plexpass version?

Myk

Strange you can tryout chat now and see if anyone can help. I unfortunately where heading to bed

I am moving over from plugins to to this docker and having moved over all the files according to this guide: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Move-an-Install-to-Another-System I do not see any of my sections.

I am hoping it is because of a permissions issue, so i had a look at this guide: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288596-Linux-Permissions-Guide

I would like to set the permissions for everything in /config (which i have mapped to /mnt/cache/dockersapps/Plex/)

Will this work and would anyone be able to give me the commands to run to make sure the permissions are set correctly?

Thanks.

Also, i don't understand this part because surely you are not suppose to have the source server running whilst you are copying the files over?

Disable Emptying of Trash

On your source Plex Media Server, you'll want to disable the Empty trash automatically after every scan preference for the Server.

I am moving over from plugins to to this docker and having moved over all the files according to this guide: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201370363-Move-an-Install-to-Another-System I do not see any of my sections.

I am hoping it is because of a permissions issue, so i had a look at this guide: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200288596-Linux-Permissions-Guide

I would like to set the permissions for everything in /config (which i have mapped to /mnt/cache/dockersapps/Plex/)

Will this work and would anyone be able to give me the commands to run to make sure the permissions are set correctly?

Haven’t done this move myself but here are some thoughts…

Regarding permission I believe that it should be Owner ID 99 and Group ID 100 however I believe that this is taken care of when you install this Docker (at least for me).

Also suggest checking you Docker mapping so that Plex can see your folders and the Plex is setup to match that.

• 3 weeks later...

Had this docker working without a problem for some time. Remote access worked a treat. Since updating earlier today to the new container, remote access hasn't worked (confirmed by friends outside my network), and on restart the remote access tab will not connect. Server's connection hasn't changed - only change was the update to the Plex container.

Anything changed? Settings I need to update? Variables I'm using:

PUID: 99

PGID: 100

VERSION: plexpass

Thanks!

Edited to add: Restarted a few more times and the remote access connects. Friends can see contents of my server, browse, etc. But nothing plays outside the network. I added a /transcode path in case that had anything to do with it, but didn't seem to help.

Having this weird problem since the most recent docker update and plexpass. Previously, plexpass worked fine. But now, if I have VERSION = plexpass, it says it's upgrading in the logs, but nothing happens for a long time and the webui is unavailable. If I set it to VERSION = latest, the it starts fine and I can access it via the webui. Not a big deal, but not sure why that's happening.

Had this docker working without a problem for some time. Remote access worked a treat. Since updating earlier today to the new container, remote access hasn't worked (confirmed by friends outside my network), and on restart the remote access tab will not connect. Server's connection hasn't changed - only change was the update to the Plex container.

Anything changed? Settings I need to update? Variables I'm using:

PUID: 99

PGID: 100

VERSION: plexpass

Thanks!

Edited to add: Restarted a few more times and the remote access connects. Friends can see contents of my server, browse, etc. But nothing plays outside the network. I added a /transcode path in case that had anything to do with it, but didn't seem to help.

This sounds like a considence but feel free to post full logs.

Having this weird problem since the most recent docker update and plexpass. Previously, plexpass worked fine. But now, if I have VERSION = plexpass, it says it's upgrading in the logs, but nothing happens for a long time and the webui is unavailable. If I set it to VERSION = latest, the it starts fine and I can access it via the webui. Not a big deal, but not sure why that's happening.

Can you send me logs ? helps out alot

I'm curious if it would be possible to create a version of the plex container with this included:

https://github.com/wnielson/Plex-Remote-Transcoder

Would love to be able to utilize some of my other boxes.

I will keep a close eye on this a posbiliy add this is in the future, when the project has matured abit.