[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

56 minutes ago, Kaizac said:

Did you see my edit?

in plex it shows the correct runtime. If you see that is shows 2hours 42 min

However the "play bar" shows 0.19 -> -0.19 this will change as the movie plays.. If you try an skip forward the movie restart from time 0.

image.thumb.png.05c46bfe612ec561c0ff757386c2e596.png

for reference here is how the movie shows up under a ubuntu box using the same hardware streaming to the same nvidia shield device. Notice the time starts at 0 and goes to -2.41:52 as expected. The little circle in the play bar can be moved forward no issue at all. I am only able to get it to work this way in the unraid version by forcing a transcode.

image0.thumb.jpeg.59bd4385c04f3fd2b0510f8477b08571.jpeg

Edited by xokia
1 minute ago, xokia said:

in plex it shows the correct runtime. If you see that is shows 2hours 42 min

However the "play bar" shows 0.19 -> -0.19 this will change as the movie plays.. If you try an skip forward the movie restart from time 0.

image.thumb.png.05c46bfe612ec561c0ff757386c2e596.png

for reference here is how the movie shows up under a ubuntu box using the same hardware. Notice the time starts at 0 and goes to -2.41:52 as expected. The little circle in the play bar can be moved forward no issue at all. 

image0.thumb.jpeg.59bd4385c04f3fd2b0510f8477b08571.jpeg

Try running analyze on the movie in Plex.

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Kaizac said:

Try running analyze on the movie in Plex.

Good point I have tried that it spins and completes quickly. That could potentially be where the issue is. This should force a scan of credits and a scan of the movie. I am not seeing it do that. Maybe a wierd permission issue since I keep my movies separate from the plex install directory. Let me look into that.

I should be able to log into the container and change permissions to plex.plex

Edited by xokia
9 minutes ago, xokia said:

Have tried that it spins and completes quickly. That could potentially be where the issue is. This should force a scan of credits and a scan of the movie. I am not seeing it do that. Maybe a wierd permission issue since I keep my movies separate from the plex install directory. Let me look into that.

I should be able to log into the container and change permissions to plex.plex

You don't set permissions within the container, but within Unraid. That's the mapping of /movies for within your docker template.

It could be that the files itself are limited in access, but then it wouldn't be able to play it in the first place.

You could try the unraid file explorer (top right icon) and go to your plex media folder and select it and set permissions to everything read write. The file could also be corrupt, so are all your test files having this issue?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Kaizac said:

You don't set permissions within the container, but within Unraid. That's the mapping of /movies for within your docker template.

It could be that the files itself are limited in access, but then it wouldn't be able to play it in the first place.

You could try the unraid file explorer (top right icon) and go to your plex media folder and select it and set permissions to everything read write. The file could also be corrupt, so are all your test files having this issue?

file plays fine so I doubt its corrupt. I can transfer it back to dekstop and plays fine. Only using 1 test file to limit complexity and time it takes to do things. I'm suspecting maybe a read-only issue worth looking into. Not sure what it needs to do to the file to scan it but I will check this later when I get back home.

*edit*

This is what I get when I try to analyze the video fails detecting credits and length unsure of why

image.thumb.png.14f7dcffee161e10738ca32117b505d1.png

ok feel like a boob.........file was corrupted.  Played when transferred over to desktop but I didn't go to the end of the file which appears to be missing. Which explains why it did not know EOF.

I retransferred a fresh copy from ubuntu directory and now its scanning the file as expected and streams correctly.

So had 2 issues: 
       1. Missing updated drivers -> Would help if this was in the driver directory

2. corrupted file :(

Appreciate all the help!

Edited by xokia
12 hours ago, xokia said:

file plays fine so I doubt its corrupt. I can transfer it back to dekstop and plays fine. Only using 1 test file to limit complexity and time it takes to do things. I'm suspecting maybe a read-only issue worth looking into. Not sure what it needs to do to the file to scan it but I will check this later when I get back home.

*edit*

This is what I get when I try to analyze the video fails detecting credits and length unsure of why

image.thumb.png.14f7dcffee161e10738ca32117b505d1.png

ok feel like a boob.........file was corrupted.  Played when transferred over to desktop but I didn't go to the end of the file which appears to be missing. Which explains why it did not know EOF.

I retransferred a fresh copy from ubuntu directory and now its scanning the file as expected and streams correctly.

So had 2 issues: 
       1. Missing updated drivers -> Would help if this was in the driver directory

2. corrupted file :(

Appreciate all the help!

Glad it works! Does it now show up in your Dashboard with direct play? All problems solved?

8 hours ago, Kaizac said:

Glad it works! Does it now show up in your Dashboard with direct play? All problems solved?

Correct it shows up in dashboard as direct play now. All problems solved. I'd like to enable the the override file I mentioned previously to move just the database onto an SSD and also make it so that if I rebuild a plex install I wont have to rebuild the database.

Is there a link here of anyone doing that I could follow? I know how to do it for liunux dont know if things change for unraid.

Edited by xokia

I am struggling with an issue where ONE disk doesn't spin down.  When I look at open files, it is ALWAYS a media file (a tv episode) which makes me look at Plex (using the linuxserver version).  When I check the plex dashboard, nothing is being viewed.  Stopping the plex docker allows me to then spin down all disks in the array and they stay spun down. 

I don't honestly know what to do next.  I cannot think of a reason as to why Plex would be accessing one single file on my array (oddly it is almost always an episode of Foundation... not sure why, and don't know that its relevant).

Any pointers on where to turn next?  This has me thinking about switching to Emby...

I'm having the same issue too and been struggling with it for an hour now: Restart, remove container without/with deleting the image, and still nothing, not even logs written to appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Logs.

Edit: Woke up this morning and the server is working ok.

Edited by Gico
On 9/15/2023 at 3:57 PM, Andiroo2 said:

Forgot to add, I had to change the VERSION tag as well, otherwise the docker container will update to the latest version available when it runs:

image.thumb.png.dd917a63d49e845ebe3373a24233bd32.png

I am back to proper 4K hardware transcoding with tone mapping on Quick Sync.

You can set the VERSION tag to "latest" and set the "Server update channel" to "public" on PMS, so it won't install beta releases (1.32.6 was first in the beta channel, then they made it public but reverted back to 1.32.5 due to the HW transcode with tonemapping enabled bug, so 1.32.6 is not available right now, Plex team are working on a fix in the 1.32.7 beta release).

You can follow the work here:

https://forums.plex.tv/t/pms-1-32-6-hw-transcoding-issues-and-corrections/853757

Edited by PsychoRS
On 9/16/2023 at 2:14 PM, althoralthor said:

I am struggling with an issue where ONE disk doesn't spin down.  When I look at open files, it is ALWAYS a media file (a tv episode) which makes me look at Plex (using the linuxserver version).  When I check the plex dashboard, nothing is being viewed.  Stopping the plex docker allows me to then spin down all disks in the array and they stay spun down. 

I don't honestly know what to do next.  I cannot think of a reason as to why Plex would be accessing one single file on my array (oddly it is almost always an episode of Foundation... not sure why, and don't know that its relevant).

Any pointers on where to turn next?  This has me thinking about switching to Emby...

I just noticed when casting to chromcast it will not show that anything is playing in the dashboard or tautulli. Came here to see if this was the case for anyone else. I believe this is what is happening in your case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, so I'm using Plex on a seperate cache SSD (setup as a pool) everything been's working great but since a few weeks I've been getting errors... The docker keeps running, but nothing is working. Also the logs are filled with this:

Starting Plex Media Server. . . (you can ignore the libusb_init error)
libc++abi: terminating with uncaught exception of type boost::filesystem::filesystem_error: boost::filesystem::create_directories: I/O error [system:5]: "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache", "/config/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server/Cache"

This error just keeps spamming over and over again. The only fix I have found so far is to stop the array and re-start it as just restarting the docker results in an error.

At first glance it seems like the entire Plex SSD becomes inaccessible. I have attached the diagnostics from before restarting the array. Thanks guys!

tower-diagnostics-20231012-0735.zip

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've spent a few days Googling between the UnRAID forums and Reddit but haven't found anyone who's replicated this issue yet.

This started six days ago when I was notified that "Plex was unavailable." When I checked my server, I found that my CPU (10700k), RAM (64GB), and SSD Cache (2 2TB WD SATA) were all pinned to 100% utilization. I recently moved some processes away from Docker and into dedicated VMs, and thought it was related to that, and shut down them down. This resolved my CPU pinning issue, but my RAM utilization was still abnormally high. I checked the Docker tab and found that the Plex (at the time, the official) container was utilizing 48GB of RAM, and climbing. The logs from the Docker container appeared to be a series of "No Data Written" messages.

Attached is what I was able to capture the first time this happened:
Screenshot_20231106_092410_Chrome2.jpg.c5dab300ab26e273ed409d13bc5fb9fd.jpg

FWIW, my VMs that I shut down were using ~16GB of RAM for game servers and other processes. So Plex was no longer pinning the CPU, but it was still ballooning in RAM usage. This seems to start during the middle of the night but I don't notice it until I'm awake. If I restart the docker container, this issue seemed to go away. I tried to run the analysis on each library from the Plex GUI and saw 20GB+ usage, but never anything like the picture above.

I decided to try the linuxserver.io container as I've seen several users say that the official container usually has problems. The first night I did this, I didn't have issues. The second night (last night) I had the same problem as the official container. Screenshot below to show the logs + messages. The LSIO logo shows up from when I restarted the container.

Screenshot_20231108_104207_Chrome.thumb.jpg.88ebf66aaa6ea1b355f7a64e3c57a398.jpg

I'm led to believe that this is either an issue with Plex itself, a bad video file, or a corrupted database. However, I haven't been able to find this message anywhere clearly online. Does anyone have an idea of where I can start troubleshooting? It's getting obnoxious having to restart the container every day or risk other issues popping up.

Can someone please help me. I installed this version of plex. I filled out the config standard with just a media location and claim code.

I started a putty session with a tunnel and went to http://localhost:8888/web

I get prompted with the sign in prompt.

After signing in, I get "Not Authorized"

My logs are below. I really dont understand what is going on, please help

Temporarily starting Plex Media Server.
Waiting for Plex to generate its config
Waiting for database creation to complete...
Waiting for pref file creation to complete...
Waiting for pref file creation to complete...
Critical: libusb_init failed
Stopping Plex to claim server
Plex stopped
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  6297    0  6297    0     0  11636      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 11661
Server claimed successfully, navigate to http://serverip:32400/web to complete plex setup.
Docker is used for versioning skip update check
[custom-init] No custom files found, skipping...
Starting Plex Media Server. . . (you can ignore the libusb_init error)
no crontab for abc
no crontab for root
[ls.io-init] done.
Critical: libusb_init failed

Upgraded after years of working, this last update crashed the plex server. Says database cant be written to. Iv had this running completely fine with updated UP until this last update. 

when logging into the server says "<Response code="503" title="Maintenance" status="Plex Media Server is currently running database migrations."/>"

FIXED:  Followed this youtube till 2:13 when i saw there were backups of the plex database. Just deleted the current one, then renamed the backup and started up plex.  Ill assume the rest of the video will help out those with the same issue IF you dont have plex backups of the data bases.

Edited by Alex12345
added fix

Hi i was wondering if anyone could help me, i am unable to port forward for Plex remote access. 

I have a unifi dream machine and have port forwarding enabled and routed to 32400 however when i test the remote access from settings it flashes green saying i have access and then about 5 seconds later goes back to red. 

Plex is setup on a custom IP from its docker container. 

I have changed IPs and external ports with no success. 

I thought it had something to do with my bound NICs for the unRaid but as i'm new to unRaid and not really great at networking, i cannot diagnose the issue correctly. 

I would sincerely be grateful for any assistance or for pointing me in the right direction, 

My plex server has been crashing nightly, yet I cannot figure out what is going on. From a user point of view, I cannot see my Plex libraries, and if I try to launch from the container into a browser I just get a blank browser and nothing notable (at least to me) in the docker logs. Once I restart the container all is well until the next night when I want to watch more. Oddly enough it seems to happen about the same time overnight at about 9 pm, so I thought it might be my scheduled tasks, however they are not going on during that time. I have used the "Plex SQLite" tool to perform an integrity check on the database and it comes back with no errors. I have turned off secure connections. turned off IPV6 support. I have updated to Unraid 6.12.4 attached are my latest debug logs from plex. If anyone is able to help it would be greatly appreciated. I have been dealing with this issue for weeks and I am stalled out. 

Plex Debug 11-20-23.txt Plex Media Server Logs_2023-11-20_14-23-05.zip

• Upvote 2