[Support] Linuxserver.io - Plex Media Server

According to a Plex forum post, they are aware of the transcoding issue in the latest beta server release (1.32.6.7468).

The solutions tossed around are
1)  disable HDR tonemapping (which seems to fix it)

2)  revert to the last stable release

3)  wait for the fix in a future beta release

Anyone have an idea what might cause my router to start blocking Plex, but specifically only the app.plex.tv browser app?

Not sure when it started happening because 99% of my usage is via TV/device apps, and also because the localip:32400 connection for the GUI via docker still works and I'm more likely to use that than the app.plex.tv URL. But anything that tries to connect to app.plex.tv via a browser (PC or phone) on my home network gets a "No content available. Check your network connection and verify that any media servers are online." error. Everything else works totally fine, including app.plex.tv from outside my network. So I figure it must be something to do with my router.

Nothing's changed in my router's settings that I can identify. Port forwarding rules are the same as they've always been, no new settings or rules have appeared that relate to either Plex or my server. Any ideas?

EDIT: Ignore me, it was the DNS rebind issue. My ISP allocated me a new static IP a few weeks ago and I assume they also updated their DNS service to block Plex requests. Changed to Google's DNS in my router settings and it works fine now.

Edited by augot

Hi all.

I have an interesting problem.

I performed a large upgrade of my unpaid server, adding more drives and replacing cache drives etc. Everything went great, but for some stupid reason after it was all done (and parity rebuilt) I deleted my docker.img file. thankfully I was able to get all my dockers back with their settings using the app centre "previous install" area, but Plex wasn't there.

So I've installed it again from scratch but now it has created a new server, and in settings I could see my old one as "unavailable". I've slept on it and tried again but now the old server is gone. The docker settings are pointing /config at appdata/plex as before so I don't understand!

Does anyone have any advice on how to get it back? There's literally nearly a decade of library and history and shares etc 🤣

// Edit

It appears my original library was simple at appdata/plex whereas the "new" server is under appdata/plex/Library/Application Support/Plex Media Server

Perhaps I can just copy the old stuff into this new location..

// Edit 2

Yes that's done it. Carry on

Edited by Marc Bush
On 9/5/2023 at 10:25 AM, Andiroo2 said:

Plex docker is no longer hardware transcoding on Intel Quick Sync as of v1.32.6.7468.  No changes otherwise...docker updated after backing up last night and now I see crazy CPU usage due to 4K transcodes using CPU instead of GPU.

I rolled back to a stable version and it works again…see attached. 

IMG_0408.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Andiroo2 said:

Food for thought though:  Is there ever a version (stable or not) of Plex that actually works properly without introducing issues that weren't present on the previous version?

• Haha 2
On 9/10/2023 at 3:19 AM, Andiroo2 said:

IMG_0408.jpeg

I'm having the same problem (no HW transcoding with HDR Tonemapping enabled) with latest versions... can you tell us exactly what release of LSIO container are you using and what VERSION tag are you using? Thanks

On 9/6/2023 at 4:14 AM, FDM80 said:

According to a Plex forum post, they are aware of the transcoding issue in the latest beta server release (1.32.6.7468).

The solutions tossed around are
1)  disable HDR tonemapping (which seems to fix it)

2)  revert to the last stable release

3)  wait for the fix in a future beta release

And they also explained that they fired the developers in charge of the transcoding section and only bad documentation was left behind, so they might start the transcoder from scratch, so... 

I downloaded 1.32.5

If I stream a movie directly nothing shows in my dashboard as playing anyone know why? Even though the bandwidth clearly shows something streaming.

no_dash.thumb.JPG.0164af32011ed6ea09f5a5e022e129f3.JPG

Also if I stream directly i'm unable to fast forward and the incorrect length of movie is shown.

+0.19 -> -0.19

wrong_size.thumb.JPG.9304314f748ca78eb58ec8e3e21dbea7.JPG

If I force a transcode by changing the resolution then it correctly shows up in the dashboard. The correct movie length also shows up. I really want to like unraid there are a bunch of features I actually like. But I can't seem to get ANY of the plex-server apps on unraid to work correctly. I think I have tried them all. Maybe its a quirk of running in Docker? Running on linux these issues do not exits. Is there any stable version on unraid that works 1/2 correctly? Any help is appreciated.

Edited by xokia
8 hours ago, xokia said:

I downloaded 1.32.5

If I stream a movie directly nothing shows in my dashboard as playing anyone know why? Even though the bandwidth clearly shows something streaming.

Also if I stream directly i'm unable to fast forward and the incorrect length of movie is shown.

+0.19 -> -0.19

If I force a transcode by changing the resolution then it correctly shows up in the dashboard. The correct movie length also shows up. I really want to like unraid there are a bunch of features I actually like. But I can't seem to get ANY of the plex-server apps on unraid to work correctly. I think I have tried them all. Maybe its a quirk of running in Docker? Running on linux these issues do not exits. Is there any stable version on unraid that works 1/2 correctly? Any help is appreciated.

Lots of us have Plex dockerized running on unRAID with no problems mate...

Paste your Plex container template config here

Edited by PsychoRS
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, xokia said:

I downloaded 1.32.5

+0.19 -> -0.19

Definitely a problem with your setup, not Unraid. Comments like "I really want to like Unraid, but......" are not going to engage people to try and help out. We're not here to motivate you to use a product. Your comments and what I've seen in your other topic is some lack of understanding the technology. Not a problem at all, but right now you're pointing at all other factors as the problem instead of your own lack of understanding.

I'm running Plex on the latest Unraid stable version and also latest Plex version (plex pass) and my HW transcodes even still work. So I don't even have the issues the others here have.

- Firstly, in your own topic, I see that you're playing a file that has both audio transcoded and a PGS subtitle. PGS subtitles are always CPU transcodes, and single core at that as well. So CPU spikes during playback of such files is normal.

- Second, I'm not seeing your GPU stats, so I wonder which plugins you actually installed for your GPU? You should have the plugin "Intel-GPU-TOP". And with the plugin "GPU Statistics" you can see your GPU workload

- You're in the linuxserver Plex topic right now. So use that docker, not the other ones. After you've installed it properly and can access your Plex server, click on the Plex docker and then > console. Enter:

ls /dev/dri

What is the output in the console?

- How are you playing a video, like in the screenshot above? What device? What app?

- What are your Plex transcoder settings?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Kaizac said:

Definitely a problem with your setup, not Unraid. Comments like "I really want to like Unraid, but......" are not going to engage people to try and help out. We're not here to motivate you to use a product. Your comments and what I've seen in your other topic is some lack of understanding the technology. Not a problem at all, but right now you're pointing at all other factors as the problem instead of your own lack of understanding.

I'm running Plex on the latest Unraid stable version and also latest Plex version (plex pass) and my HW transcodes even still work. So I don't even have the issues the others here have.

- Firstly, in your own topic, I see that you're playing a file that has both audio transcoded and a PGS subtitle. PGS subtitles are always CPU transcodes, and single core at that as well. So CPU spikes during playback of such files is normal.

- Second, I'm not seeing your GPU stats, so I wonder which plugins you actually installed for your GPU? You should have the plugin "Intel-GPU-TOP". And with the plugin "GPU Statistics" you can see your GPU workload

- You're in the linuxserver Plex topic right now. So use that docker, not the other ones. After you've installed it properly and can access your Plex server, click on the Plex docker and then > console. Enter:

ls /dev/dri

What is the output in the console?

- How are you playing a video, like in the screenshot above? What device? What app?

- What are your Plex transcoder settings?

What you are seeing is just a general frustration with getting it to work. I am fully willing to accept something wrong with my config.  I am not new to plex or plex server I have been using it for a couple years. I am aware of how its supposed to work as I have set this up on ubuntu and have zero of these issues.

I am fully aware audio and and subtitle can cause cpu transcode of those files. However the video will still transcode in the GPU. I have no issue with these files transcoding in the CPU. It's a non issue. The workload to do that is very minimal.

/dev/dri -> shows up both card0 and render128

I use nvidia shield devices for playback because I have found they are the most compatible with video and audio codecs. These are all hardwired using 1GB ethernet. I am not trying to playback anything that hasn't been previously tested as fully functional under ubuntu plex-server.  Just trying to replicate the same results under a different OS.

A question on the video driver. Does unraid 6.12.4 not come with updated video drivers preinstalled? I missed "Intel-GPU-TOP" as it did not show up under the "driver" tab as an option to install. Maybe this is the issue.

image.thumb.png.b2c38980f1dc7817140fc34d3c5a4f81.png

Edited by xokia
19 minutes ago, xokia said:

What you are seeing is just a general frustration with getting it to work. I am fully willing to accept something wrong with my config.  I am not new to plex or plex server I have been using it for a couple years. I am aware of how its supposed to work as I have set this up on ubuntu and have zero of these issues.

I am aware audio and and subtitle can cause cpu transcode of those files. However the video will still transcode in the GPU. I have no issue with these files transcoding in the CPU. It's a non issue. The workload to do that is very minimal.

/dev/dri -> shows up both card0 and render128

I use nvidia shield devices for playback because I have found they are the most compatible with video and audio codecs. These are all hardwired using 1GB ethernet. I am not trying to playback anything that hasn't been previously tested as fully functional under ubuntu plex-server.  Just trying to replicate the same results under a different OS.

A question on the video driver. Does unraid 6.14 not come with updated video drivers preinstalled? I missed "Intel-GPU-TOP" as it did not show up under the "driver" tab. Maybe this is the issue.

image.thumb.png.b2c38980f1dc7817140fc34d3c5a4f81.png

Unraid 6.14? Probably a spelling error, but 6.12.4 is the latest (stable) version. And it's not so much a driver missing when installing Intel_GPU_TOP. It's exposing the GPU readings to Unraid, so you can check them with the GPU statitics plugin for example. That way you know to what capacity your iGPU is being used.

For the internal Plex settings, try: both transcoder quality as hardware transcoding device on auto. And Background preset on Very Fast.

In the Docker template change "plexpass" to "docker". And did you make sure to use the plex claim function? Just checking, I expect you did and just put in the link for anonymization.

Another thing that is odd to me is that you are apparently using a Share called "Disk1"? Is that correct?

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, xokia said:

--

Oh and I forgot the Network settings within Plex. Did you put in your LAN networks there? Like 192.168.1.1/24 or whatever your subnet(s) are? The Shields are direct playing, but maybe they don't find the direct route to your Unraid box and going through WAN back to your Unraid server, which can cause bandwidth limits.

• Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, Kaizac said:

Unraid 6.14? Probably a spelling error, but 6.12.4 is the latest (stable) version. And it's not so much a driver missing when installing Intel_GPU_TOP. It's exposing the GPU readings to Unraid, so you can check them with the GPU statitics plugin for example. That way you know to what capacity your iGPU is being used.

For the internal Plex settings, try: both transcoder quality as hardware transcoding device on auto. And Background preset on Very Fast.

In the Docker template change "plexpass" to "docker". And did you make sure to use the plex claim function? Just checking, I expect you did and just put in the link for anonymization.

Another thing that is odd to me is that you are apparently using a Share called "Disk1"? Is that correct?

yea sorry I meant the latest unraid. 6.12.4. Type-O missed the 2 and the dot

For disk I didnt want to tear down my old system so I formatted a 2TB HDD just for Unraid testing. So yea the share disk is just disk1. Kinda slick that unraid boots from a USB and allows you to do that. Normally I keep the plex app data on a SSD and separate from the plex install so its just habit. That way you can tear down a plex install without having to rebuild the database. Helpful if you have thousands of movies. Here I am just building a new database and only have 1 movie in it for testing purposes. I haven't looked to see if any of this is possible with unraid version of plex but it would be something like

/etc/systemd/system/plexmediaserver.service.d/override.conf
 [Service]
 Environment="PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR=/home/myusername/Library/Application Support"

Yes server was claimed.

Will try settings thanks

Edited by xokia
37 minutes ago, Kaizac said:

Oh and I forgot the Network settings within Plex. Did you put in your LAN networks there? Like 192.168.1.1/24 or whatever your subnet(s) are? The Shields are direct playing, but maybe they don't find the direct route to your Unraid box and going through WAN back to your Unraid server, which can cause bandwidth limits.

I have the Wan binding option unchecked. But yes I added the IP/subnet. So I don't think they would play at all if it tried to go to WAN. I also have a 1Gbps WAN connection so BW "shouldn't be" an issue anyway. Thanks for the suggestion though!

The video does direct play and it plays in 4k just fine. The issues is the video does not show up in the plex dashboard when direct playing. Also I get incorrect video length when direct playing on the shield plex player. If I try to fast forward the movie starts over from the beginning. If I force a transcode all these issues go away.

Edited by xokia
39 minutes ago, xokia said:

I have the Wan binding option unchecked. But yes I added the IP/subnet. So I don't think they would play at all if it tried to go to WAN. I also have a 1Gbps WAN connection so BW "shouldn't be" an issue anyway. Thanks for the suggestion though!

The video does direct play and it plays in 4k just fine. The issues is the video does not show up in the plex dashboard when direct playing. Also I get incorrect video length when direct playing on the shield plex player. If I try to fast forward the movie starts over from the beginning. If I force a transcode all these issues go away.

So I'm still doubtful about that Disk1. Normally you name shares after the files or category you store. A share name would be Media for example and the path would be /mnt/user/Media. So you are sure you have a share named Disk1 in which you have the folder plex-media?

And what library path do you use for the library which contains the files you're testing with?

EDIT: if you check the movie in Plex, does it show the correct runtime?

Edited by Kaizac
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Kaizac said:

So I'm still doubtful about that Disk1. Normally you name shares after the files or category you store. A share name would be Media for example and the path would be /mnt/user/Media. So you are sure you have a share named Disk1 in which you have the folder plex-media?

And what library path do you use for the library which contains the files you're testing with?

yes. Disk1 is just the host path. under plex it gets mapped to /movies

The movie would not show up at all if this was wrong.