Help designing/picking a setup for unraid, need to upgrade in a bad way :)

live4soccer7

Does anyone know if it is possible to pass through onboard graphics from X10SL7-F MB on the PlexMediaServer Docker? If I can do this and simply put the video through (sound too) a VGA cable then I can hook the server directly up to the TV that is nearby and thus completely eliminate a computer that I'm utilizing for a front end player. The computer I'm wanting to get rid of has just that one last function, thanks to the great people here and getting me going on the new build. If I can passthrough the graphics and sound through the onboard items then I can put that docker up on the screen for display. I have no idea if this will work and didn't come up with much when searching and there is no passthrough option in the docker settings.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What SAS cards are you guys using? I've seen a couple pop up on the forums and what not. I'm not sure if there is one that would work better with my particular board or not either. I'm quite new to most of this, but am usually capable or figuring things out. The board I'm using is the SuperMicro X10SL7-F

SAS controllers

----------------

M1015 - Max expandable drives? ??? - Interface: PCI-Express 2.0 x8

AOC-SASLP-MV8 - can add 8 drives with this - Interface: PCI-Express 2.0 x8

I've used IBM M1015s, Dell H310 & AOC-SASLP-MV8 on pass through with ESXi.  With unRAID native I've used all three with unRAID native but I've yet to try pass through in unRAID to a VM but I don't anticipate any troubles.

Does anyone know if it is possible to pass through onboard graphics from X10SL7-F MB on the PlexMediaServer Docker? If I can do this and simply put the video through (sound too) a VGA cable then I can hook the server directly up to the TV that is nearby and thus completely eliminate a computer that I'm utilizing for a front end player. The computer I'm wanting to get rid of has just that one last function, thanks to the great people here and getting me going on the new build. If I can passthrough the graphics and sound through the onboard items then I can put that docker up on the screen for display. I have no idea if this will work and didn't come up with much when searching and there is no passthrough option in the docker settings.

I've always read on these forums that iGPU pass through does not work or at least only in some cases.  I also read that Limetech does not supports iGPU pass through.

I've always read on these forums that iGPU pass through does not work or at least only in some cases.  I also read that Limetech does not supports iGPU pass through.

Two points. I don't think a docker can use a passed through video like a vm, what the OP probably needs is to get the limetech openelec vm running. Second, that particular motherboard has an on board video card, it's technically not iGPU because it doesn't use the graphics core on the processor, it has a built in independent ASPEED graphics chip that it uses for IPMI as well as primary video. That said, I don't know if you can use it as a passed through video unless you have another GPU for the unraid console, which would mean adding a card anyway.

Bob, thanks for the input as usual!

Two points. I don't think a docker can use a passed through video like a vm, what the OP probably needs is to get the limetech openelec vm running. Second, that particular motherboard has an on board video card, it's technically not iGPU because it doesn't use the graphics core on the processor, it has a built in independent ASPEED graphics chip that it uses for IPMI as well as primary video. That said, I don't know if you can use it as a passed through video unless you have another GPU for the unraid console, which would mean adding a card anyway.

Jonathanm, are you suggesting to run openelec vm because it requires very little resources, then install plex/kodi/or whatever front end player on that and pass through a GPU/video card to that openelec VM for use on a tv??? Just making sure I'm following. Thanks for the input!

So I need to get a graphics card. I don't game, so is there any reason one can think of that I shouldn't get the following card? I've never had a reason to dig in to graphics cards in the past, so I don't know much about them. Am I missing any good features by going with this one. The machince I've built pretty much hosts a few VMs that get used on the rare occassion, I want it to be able to serve as a media center for a nearby TV, and it stores data (unraid portion). I think that is about it, it's a pretty low key machine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102933

Bob, which one would you recommend for the SAS card (are any more reliable than the other)?: IBM M1015s, Dell H310 & AOC-SASLP-MV8

I think once I get a GPU, SAS card, an ssd and a few more sticks of RAM then this thing will be complete with the exception of adding the occasional HDD for storage.

I just want to take a moment and thank everyone that has contributed in this thread. I am extremely grateful!

So I need to get a graphics card. I don't game, so is there any reason one can think of that I shouldn't get the following card? I've never had a reason to dig in to graphics cards in the past, so I don't know much about them. Am I missing any good features by going with this one. The machince I've built pretty much hosts a few VMs that get used on the rare occassion, I want it to be able to serve as a media center for a nearby TV, and it stores data (unraid portion). I think that is about it, it's a pretty low key machine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102933

Bob, which one would you recommend for the SAS card (are any more reliable than the other)?: IBM M1015s, Dell H310 & AOC-SASLP-MV8

I think once I get a GPU, SAS card, an ssd and a few more sticks of RAM then this thing will be complete with the exception of adding the occasional HDD for storage.

I just want to take a moment and thank everyone that has contributed in this thread. I am extremely grateful!

That card is a solid choice for a htpc. The issue is, whether it plays nice with passthrough to a VM (some amd cards are good, some nvidia, some are good for htpc/w hdmi, etc). I don't have any VMs with passthrough, but I recall that card, as well as the NVIDIA 710 (i think) are good options for openelec vm's. You can search the forum a little more, and find some specific examples if you aren't willing to just deal with trial and error.

For SAS cards, I'd get the M1015, then the H310, then the AOC (you'd actually want the sas2lp). The AOC has some issues with doing parity checks lately (there is a long thread around here) so thats why I listed it last. It works fine, just seems to have some bug that slows parity way down. The M1015 is a staple, and I guess you can reflash the H310 as well. Kinda depends if you are getting new/used/refurbed and on newegg/ebay/etc which one you'll actually go with. I think they are all good.

Thanks for the input. I'll likely just go with the M1015 then. It's a little more, but I'd rather spend that money and have something I know will work really well and not have a chance of it messing things up (least chance anyways).

I go that card from this guide: https://macosxvirtualmachinekvm.wordpress.com/guide-mac-os-x-vm-on-unraid/

SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card ( 100322L)

They were saying it works really well with the OS X VMs. At this point, I'm more interested in passing through the open elec or KodiBuntu.

This question is a bit off topic, but I'm having a hard time finding an answer to it. It is it better to run VPN via software on an individual machine basis or have it on a router that can handle it? In terms of reliablity and functionality? From what I can understand you can pass through a normal connection to specific IPs on the network or vica versa.

It is it better to run VPN via software on an individual machine basis or have it on a router that can handle it? In terms of reliablity and functionality?
If your endpoint machine really can handle it, defined by whether your router has sufficient cpu and ram, then it's better to put the VPN there, so any time you have internet, you have VPN access to your network. However... most consumer grade routers do NOT have the power to run the VPN encryption with decent speed, so the logical choice is to run the VPN on a machine with power to spare.

The M1015 and H310 appear to me to be almost identical except for placement of the connectors - to me at least.  I would base the choice on placement desired for the connectors.  The H310 should be easier to use where low profile card is needed like the HP N40L & HP N54L for instance.  The M1015 might work better where low profile is not needed but cables connected out the end of the card would cause problems.  The other consideration is cost.  The H310 was cheaper than a M1015 the last time I bought a card.

perhaps you could take a look and let me know what you think of this router: Asus RT-AC87U AC2400

No first hand experience, but the specs look respectable, and the reviews sound favorable for what you are asking of it.

Depending on your physical layout, having wireless in the router may or may not be ideal. Pfsense loaded on an older repurposed PC in your wiring closet and a ubiquiti UAP?AC?LITE mounted central to the living space would be cheaper and much more powerful, at the expense of maintaining another full pc instead of a single lower electrical consumption router.

Thanks for the input. I'd rather not get another full time pc running. I'm thinking the router may be the way to go.

Can you elaborate not on the below comment.

depending on your physical layout, having wireless in the router may or may not be ideal

In my case, the wiring closet where the internet enters the house is in a basement corner, and wireless signals are pretty much wasted there, so I have a wireless AP in the ceiling of the main living area. If I were to have a wireless router centrally located, it would mean running power and another cat5 to that location. A unify AP only requires a single cat5 cable, no power at the AP needed as it comes with a POE injector.

Wifi is very location sensitive, sometimes putting a big ugly router with multiple antennas right in the middle of the living area for best wifi reception is frowned upon by other family members.

LOL. that's great. I have a good location on mine, so that's not a problem.

It's actually looking like the R8000 netgear nighthawk may be the best option at this time, if I'm going to splurge on a new router. Any other router recommendations?

I do have access to a wrt320n router that I could use (free), but honestly do not know if it would be enough to run Vpn and the encryption needed.

I also have a wndr3400v2, which can actually be flashed w dd-wrt as well. Its specs are a little better than the wrt320n

Thanks for the input. I'd rather not get another full time pc running. I'm thinking the router may be the way to go.

Can you elaborate not on the below comment.

depending on your physical layout, having wireless in the router may or may not be ideal

In my case, the wiring closet where the internet enters the house is in a basement corner, and wireless signals are pretty much wasted there, so I have a wireless AP in the ceiling of the main living area. If I were to have a wireless router centrally located, it would mean running power and another cat5 to that location. A unify AP only requires a single cat5 cable, no power at the AP needed as it comes with a POE injector.

Wifi is very location sensitive, sometimes putting a big ugly router with multiple antennas right in the middle of the living area for best wifi reception is frowned upon by other family members.

I run into this problem too.

What I did was buy one of these http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/cat-10_TL-WA850RE.html and flashed it with Gargoyle firmware, gave it a static IP and set it to AP mode. It's been rock solid and fast (for a wifi-n AP).

Pretty cool stuff. It's nice to see what people are using.

Anyone running pfsense on a small pc? I'd imagine you'd want the pfsense setup between the modem and any additional routers/switches.

If there is something in a small form factor (Apple TV size or slightly larger, chrome box) then I'd be down to try out the pfsense setup.

I've been reading up on pfsense.

What would be the advantage of running a pfsense box between my modem and router vs just running ddwrt with open vpn on a capable router?

I'm not a security/networking guru, so just trying to learn and see which option will be best.

A lot of people do it because they are trying to run their whole internet connection through a vpn.  Depending on internet speed most all home-consumer routers don't have the processing power to handle it.  But like mr-hexen said it's complicated getting it set up right.  Running a Asus router with wrt or tomato is light years easier.

Hmmm... How much could one get in to a pfsense build? I have the unraid server with typical programs that people use. I want to run vpn on the network to protect the network privacy with possibly the exception of maybe a pc, two, or specific device.

I stream media locally to a machine or two at a time. Right now with my current home, my wifi can reach all corners of the house reliably, but will be relocating in 1-2 yrs to a larger home, so I doubt one wifi router will suffice and will likely need to set up access points. This is where I figured setting up a pfsense setup now that will be able to handle the needs now and a bit of future proof rather than using the R800 netgear router and then building a pfsense setup in a year or two.

Any suggestions? I've been reading on this for about 6 hrs, at least.

I'm trying stray away from installation on individual clients. I have done that and the connectivity isn't that great. It drops quite often. I'm taking a look at the link you've provided.

I've been reading that the ddwrt routers with ovpn aren't super reliable. Not sure what aspect it so blame. Another reason to possibly go pfsense vs ddwrt vpn setup. I've been trying to find a build I can follow that would suit my needs and not be completely overkill.

Edit: good read. Surprised I hadn't read that article yet. I've read just about everything I can find.

Anyone that has pfsense, is your setup extremely reliable? There's nothing I hate more than having to continually reset network stuff. It should just work once set up and configured.

private internet access has a VPN tool you can install on each PC that forces it to use the VPN.

This is certainly a lot easier way to go and what I would do if you don't need every bit of data running through a vpn.  pfsense isn't really worth it unless you are sure you need it.  Even then I wouldn't build a separate box for it right away.  You can run it on an old laptop temporarily to test it out and make sure you even like it or can manage to set it up right.