[Support] Linuxserver.io - SmokePing

do ls -la in the directory and post the results.

No problem. Here you go...

total 40
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 nobody users  148 Feb  4 17:42 ./
drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users  223 Feb  8 01:01 ../
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users  177 Feb  4 17:42 Alerts
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users  237 Feb  4 17:42 Database
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users  483 Feb  4 17:42 General
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users  875 Feb  4 17:42 Presentation
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users   51 Feb  4 17:42 Probes
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users  147 Feb  4 17:42 Slaves
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users 2119 Feb  4 17:42 Targets
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users  183 Feb  4 17:42 pathnames
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users  613 Feb  4 17:42 smtp.conf

do ls -la in the directory and post the results.

No problem. Here you go...

total 40
drwxrwxrwx+ 1 nobody users  148 Feb  4 17:42 ./
drwxrwxrwx  1 nobody users  223 Feb  8 01:01 ../
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users  177 Feb  4 17:42 Alerts
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users  237 Feb  4 17:42 Database
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users  483 Feb  4 17:42 General
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users  875 Feb  4 17:42 Presentation
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users   51 Feb  4 17:42 Probes
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users  147 Feb  4 17:42 Slaves
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users 2119 Feb  4 17:42 Targets
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users  183 Feb  4 17:42 pathnames
-rw-r--r--  1 nobody users  613 Feb  4 17:42 smtp.conf

That looks fine.  What error are you seeing then?  Anything in the logs? Need as much detail as you can give me about what you're changing, expected behaviour and observed behaviour.

That looks fine.  What error are you seeing then?  Anything in the logs? Need as much detail as you can give me about what you're changing, expected behaviour and observed behaviour.

Nothing showing in the logs for smokeping and other than what's previously mentioned about copying the file or overwriting the file directly, not sure what else I can provide? It does appear to be a permission thing and perhaps I'm doing things in the wrong order, but I'm not sure what else I can do?

Does it all work OK for you?

Yep.

SSH to Unraid box, cd into the directory and nano Targets and can edit the file no problems.

Ah ha, a result!

I tried on 2 PC's, one on Win 7 and the other on Win 10, but both failed. So I tried on my MAC and it worked!

Not sure why, as permissions are the same and I'm using the same user...? But it worked and that's what's important!

Thanks for your persistent help though, appreciated!

Yep.

SSH to Unraid box, cd into the directory and nano Targets and can edit the file no problems.

Ah ha, a result!

I tried on 2 PC's, one on Win 7 and the other on Win 10, but both failed. So I tried on my MAC and it worked!

Not sure why, as permissions are the same and I'm using the same user...? But it worked and that's what's important!

I think it's Windows/SMB/Permissions issues, I don't use Windows so doesn't affect me...  ;D

Yep.

Ah ha, a result!

I think it's Windows/SMB/Permissions issues, I don't use Windows so doesn't affect me...  ;D

I've only been a MAC user for a month, so still finding my way around things, hence still using Windows for stuff until I know how to do it on MAC  ;D

Yep.

Ah ha, a result!

I've only been a MAC user for a month, so still finding my way around things, hence still using Windows for stuff until I know how to do it on MAC  ;D

From someone that migrated from Windows to Linux last year, want my advise, get rid of the safety net of going back to Windows, I tried that before and it does mean you just keep booting it to do so because you know how, commit to MacOS 100% and force yourself to learn how to do it in the new os.  It's a rough couple of weeks but far less painful in the long run...  ;)

From someone that migrated from Windows to Linux last year, want my advise, get rid of the safety net of going back to Windows, I tried that before and it does mean you just keep booting it to do so because you know how, commit to MacOS 100% and force yourself to learn how to do it in the new os.  It's a rough couple of weeks but far less painful in the long run...  ;)

I'll be honest, I'm using MacOS at least 90% of the time, but I run one server on Windows and I have to have Parallels for my job, as some of the software I use only runs on Windows. Then I've unraid for the NAS and a few other bits.

So I am pretty much all Mac, just a few bits I still need to suss out. For example, a Mac version of Putty for SSH that uses the same commands and also something that refreshes folders better than Finder, as it doesn't update very well and no refresh button. Other than that, I genuinely like Mac.

Oh, plus I have an Android phone  ::)

I'll be honest, I'm using MacOS at least 90% of the time, but I run one server on Windows and I have to have Parallels for my job, as some of the software I use only runs on Windows. Then I've unraid for the NAS and a few other bits.

So I am pretty much all Mac, just a few bits I still need to suss out. For example, a Mac version of Putty for SSH that uses the same commands and also something that refreshes folders better than Finder, as it doesn't update very well and no refresh button. Other than that, I genuinely like Mac.

Oh, plus I have an Android phone  ::)

Can't you just use ssh root@$UNRAID-IP to access Unraid from a Mac terminal?

• 2 months later...

Hi team! I just posted a feature request over on Github: https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-smokeping/issues/21 but thought I'd drop it here since I didn't know this forum section existed. 

I'm running SmokePing on Unraid 6.3.2, and I have one minor gripe with it - TCPPing doesn't work since there is no binary installed in the docker image. I've been able to install TCPPing by bash-ing into the container and manually installing it, but that seems a bit unnecessary for a Docker container. 

Anyone able to comment on availability of TCPPing for SmokePing? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Since I updated this docker a few days ago, my install has stopped working.

Though the log seems to indicate that it's probably working... I just can't access it?

The URL I've always used to access is: [IP]:8086/smokeping/smokeping.cgi

Any ideas? Thanks :)

-------------------------------------
GID/UID
User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-config: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
AH00558: httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 172.17.0.2. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message
### assuming you are using an fping copy reporting in milliseconds
Smokeping version 2.006011 successfully launched.
Not entering multiprocess mode for just a single probe.
FPing: probing 15 targets with step 300 s and offset 177 s.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I missing some initial configuration or something?

Everything seems fine enough and I can access the WebUI but there is just no data populated.

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: executing...

_ _ _
| |___| (_) ___
| / __| | |/ _ \
| \__ \ | | (_) |
|_|___/ |_|\___/
|_|

Brought to you by linuxserver.io
We gratefully accept donations at:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donations/
GID/UID
User uid: 99
User gid: 100

[cont-init.d] 10-adduser: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] 30-config: executing...
[cont-init.d] 30-config: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
AH00558: httpd: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 172.17.0.7. Set the 'ServerName' directive globally to suppress this message
### assuming you are using an fping copy reporting in milliseconds
Smokeping version 2.006011 successfully launched.
Not entering multiprocess mode for just a single probe.
FPing: probing 20 targets with step 300 s and offset 111 s.

13 hours ago, CHBMB said:

That's where it got confusing to me as it seemed to have been pre-configured with some defaults.

Just that the graph data wasn't being loaded.

Also the says "FPing: probing 20 targets with step 300 s and offset 111 s." which tells me there are 20 targets setup already?

But let me try your link and see.

Am I meant to be installing fping and other binaries manually? Are they not included in the docker image?

Might be stupid questions but this is the first time I'm working with a Docker that requires "Manual" configuration.

Edited by SauRoN

Okay I'm learning here.

Managed to attach to the Docker and check that /usr/sbin/fping is in fact there, so I've answered that question myself.

From the "vanilla" Docker install it appears to be pre-configured but I just don't see graph data populating.

All seems in order.

*** Probes ***

+ FPing

binary = /usr/sbin/fping

*** Targets ***

probe = FPing

menu = Top
title = Network Latency Grapher
remark = Welcome to the SmokePing website of WORKS Company. \
         Here you will learn all about the latency of our network.

+ InternetSites

menu = Internet Sites
title = Internet Sites

++ Facebook
menu = Facebook
title = Facebook
host = facebook.com

++ Youtube
menu = YouTube
title = YouTube
host = youtube.com

++ JupiterBroadcasting
menu = JupiterBroadcasting
title = JupiterBroadcasting
host = jupiterbroadcasting.com

++ GoogleSearch
menu = Google
title = google.com
host = google.com

++ linuxserverio
menu = linuxserver.io
title = linuxserver.io
host = linuxserver.io

+ Europe

menu = Europe
title = European Connectivity

++ Germany

menu = Germany
title = The Fatherland

+++ TelefonicaDE

menu = Telefonica DE
title = Telefonica DE
host = www.telefonica.de

++ Switzerland

menu = Switzerland
title = Switzerland

+++ CernIXP

menu = CernIXP
title = Cern Internet eXchange Point
host = cixp.web.cern.ch

+++ SBB

menu = SBB
title = SBB
host = www.sbb.ch/en

++ UK

menu = United Kingdom
title = United Kingdom

+++ IBNorwich

menu = al.ktz.me
title = IBs Residence
host = al.ktz.me

+++ CambridgeUni

menu = Cambridge
title = Cambridge
host = cam.ac.uk

+++ UEA

menu = UEA
title = UEA
host = www.uea.ac.uk

+ USA

menu = North America
title =North American Connectivity

++ MIT

menu = MIT
title = Massachusetts Institute of Technology Webserver
host = web.mit.edu

++ IU

menu = IU
title = Indiana University
host = www.indiana.edu

++ UCB

menu = U. C. Berkeley
title = U. C. Berkeley Webserver
host = www.berkley.edu

++ UCSD

menu = U. C. San Diego
title = U. C. San Diego Webserver
host = www.ucsd.edu

++ Sun

menu = Sun Microsystems
title = Sun Microsystems Webserver
host = www.oracle.com/us/sun

+ DNS
menu = DNS
title = DNS

++ GoogleDNS1
menu = Google DNS 1
title = Google DNS 8.8.8.8
host = 8.8.8.8

++ GoogleDNS2
menu = Google DNS 2
title = Google DNS 8.8.4.4
host = 8.8.4.4

++ OpenDNS1
menu = OpenDNS1
title = OpenDNS1
host = 208.67.222.222

++ OpenDNS2
menu = OpenDNS2
title = OpenDNS2
host = 208.67.220.220

All from the default config, but I just get blank graphs.

And there is data being written to RRD files in the Data folder constantly so it seems to be working. 

Just the graph doesn't populate.

Edited by SauRoN
10 hours ago, SauRoN said:

All from the default config, but I just get blank graphs.

And there is data being written to RRD files in the Data folder constantly so it seems to be working. 

Just the graph doesn't populate.

I seem to be in the same boat.  I was getting data in the graphs with an 'out-of-box' install of the Docker....but it seemed to stop maybe a month ago.

I tried removing it, removing the smokeping folder from appdata, and reinstalling...but I still don't get any data in the graphs.  

11 hours ago, alfi33 said:

I seem to be in the same boat.  I was getting data in the graphs with an 'out-of-box' install of the Docker....but it seemed to stop maybe a month ago.

I tried removing it, removing the smokeping folder from appdata, and reinstalling...but I still don't get any data in the graphs.  

Aaah thanks for confirming.

It was my suspicion as well that maybe the actual DOcker image is broken.

@scytherbladez post above alluded to the same but the issue he is having isn't quite similar but that might be because he got live updates instead of fresh installed.

Log: https://gist.github.com/nallar/702c66736a1f7bf954e0747ea10a1006

This is an hour or so after starting. It would usually have FPing: probing 12 targets with step 23 s and offset 6 s. repeated many times by this point, not just once.

Database: https://gist.github.com/nallar/f84ad823dfa68a7cbc2219023e8c5ae4
Targets: https://gist.github.com/nallar/b94564998b02df588686f52dfbacdcba

Definitely used to work, you can see here when it stopped recording: https://smokeping.allan.scot/smokeping.cgi?target=Remote.CSGOlux