Plex and UnRAID noob question

Bugman1400

OK...now I'm a little confused  ??? though I hope, just a little.

In layman's terms...I thought the whole idea, behind Dockers and Containers; was to create a little, separate area...apart from storage...to install and run apps from. Yes?

OK...if that's true; I had everything right...except, what you're saying is

- Install the Plex container

- Then "set-up" Plex...which is on the unRAID, of course

- And then I just point my client (Fire TV), at the Plex?

I'm not sure which bit has confused you.... nor what can possibly be confusing about it...  :-\

Well...do I have the above steps correct?

I mean...I just upgraded to 6; have never used Dockers, Containers, or Plex.

I'm in uncharted waters, on several fronts. Sorry.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In layman's terms...I thought the whole idea, behind Dockers and Containers; was to create a little, separate area...apart from storage...to install and run apps from. Yes?

I'm not sure which bit has confused you.... nor what can possibly be confusing about it...  :-\

Yes you have the steps correct, but I suspect you'll need a bit more help getting to your final goal, but just remember you can't really break anything.  So get to it, we all made mistakes initially it's how you learn...  ;)

Yes you have the steps correct, but I suspect you'll need a bit more help getting to your final goal, but just remember you can't really break anything.  So get to it, we all made mistakes initially it's how you learn...  ;)

OK, fair enough. I went ahead and lept...

I selected the PlexMediaServer template...even though I didn't have to; I assume it also won't hurt? And did the following Container Volume and Host Path, and added that Path.

plex2_zpswzx7zvhr.png

...and now I'm here...

plex3_zps4kizdfdu.png

So far, so good? Now I have to set-up Flex...at the unRAID end?

Yeah, tbh all the config is Unraid end.  FireTV will just require you download the Plex app and sign in.  As long as it's on your LAN, should find the Plex Server automatically.

Go to the Plex webui now and start configuring it.  Add your movies and let it scan, they'll be located in /plexmovies

Yeah, tbh all the config is Unraid end.  FireTV will just require you download the Plex app and sign in.  As long as it's on your LAN, should find the Plex Server automatically.

Go to the Plex webui now and start configuring it.  Add your movies and let it scan, they'll be located in /plexmovies

w00t

I'll keep you posted; and thanks for the patience and help.

I selected the PlexMediaServer template...even though I didn't have to; I assume it also won't hurt?

No, it doesn't hurt.  But, just so that you're aware, because your original screen shot showed the "select template" as being blank, but the data filled out was actually from linux server, I think its safe to assume that you've got Community Applications installed.

Once CA is installed, under "normal" circumstances you don't need to worry about selecting a template at all, as CA will automatically fill out the appropriate entries for you.

Net result by selecting Plex as a template was that you actually installed the app from LT and not from LinuxServer.  Not a big deal as ultimately they are both the same thing, and no one here (incl CHBMB will discriminate), but I wanted you to be aware that when you use CA, you do NOT have to select a template from the drop down.

Oh, and if what I just posted doesn't make any sense to you at all, then uninstall CA and you'll see what I'm talking about.  CA takes over the repository and template system, but because it's an add-on, it can't remove certain items that are built-in to the GUI (the repositories tab and the select template drop down)

I selected the PlexMediaServer template...even though I didn't have to; I assume it also won't hurt?

Not a big deal as ultimately they are both the same thing, and no one here (incl CHBMB will discriminate)

I noticed earlier that he was looking at the linuxserver.io version, hadn't noticed he ended up with the LT version....

Well that's the end of help from me!  ;D

CDLehner: I'm only joking, don't change anything, just keep going.  We'll get you sorted.  ;)

So I'll add another noob question about plex to the thread.

How do you go about setting up Music Videos?  Do you guys normally have them under Music or Movies?  Can Plex "scrap" the correct info or do you have to hand type it in?

Plex treats music videos as "accessories" to Artists and/or Albums.

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/205568377-Adding-Local-Artist-and-Music-Videos

CDLehner: I'm only joking, don't change anything, just keep going.  We'll get you sorted.  ;)

OK...so I've had company all day, it's late; and I've had to do this in starts and stops.

But here's what I'm bumping up against...

Here are the set-up steps, I think I need to follow...to link my movie-file folder

plex5_zpsgnyb0hsp.png

This is me in Plex Server, and I click the plus...

plex6_zps0mg6arig.png

I select Movies, as my library type...

plex7_zpsx0xieztp.png

I leave the library type, as Movies...and click next...

plex8_zpsopow1ptj.png

...browse for media folder...

plex9_zpsrlrhse4f.png

I get my choice of folders to add...and there's the plexmovies dir; I add...

plex10_zpsbfbppqzx.png

Looks like this...and I 'add library'...

plex11_zpsmaugogdi.png

BOOM; no movie files...

plex12_zpshevnwgqo.png

Where did I go wrong, or still have left to do? I feel like I am this close  :-[

Do you actually have a user share named "unmovies" (this is what was mapped in your screenshot) with movies in it?

Yes; although note, it is unMOVIES (if case is important)

plex20_zpslnzoixyt.png

...and then within the unMOVIES user share; I have these dirs...

plex21_zpsgddxl7bd.png

So...is one, or both the problem? Do I need to link, down one level to the dir?

Do you actually have a user share named "unmovies" (this is what was mapped in your screenshot) with movies in it?

Case is important.  You mapped over "unmovies" but since your share is "unMOVIES", plex won't find it.  Edit the mappings

Case is important.  You mapped over "unmovies" but since your share is "unMOVIES", plex won't find it.  Edit the mappings

BINGO! Not saying I'm out of the woods yet; but I'm seeing titles!!

w00t  8)

UPDATE- OK...I was finally, able to figure out; how to navigate FireTV, and access the Plex app settings.

I manually pointed it to my unRAID server...and voila! Being the way I am though...I'm still wondering, why it couldn't find it based on my Plex account log-on; but...perhaps that'll save for another day.

For now...I gotta get, to switching ALL my STBs; and doing Plex for movies, TV, etc.

Can anyone, who's already hardcore FireTV w/Plex (and obviously using unRAID, or you wouldn't be reading this to begin with...lol); suggest the best forum, to start gathering my basics?

UPDATE- OK...I was finally, able to figure out; how to navigate FireTV, and access the Plex app settings.

I manually pointed it to my unRAID server...and voila! Being the way I am though...I'm still wondering, why it couldn't find it based on my Plex account log-on; but...perhaps that'll save for another day.

For now...I gotta get, to switching ALL my STBs; and doing Plex for movies, TV, etc.

Can anyone, who's already hardcore FireTV w/Plex (and obviously using unRAID, or you wouldn't be reading this to begin with...lol); suggest the best forum, to start gathering my basics?

OK...topic for another thread I guess. Thanks guys!  ;D

Oops. I was about to list this as [sOLVED]; but remembered...I'm not the OP. Not that he seems to be posting anymore.

OK...topic for another thread I guess. Thanks guys!  ;D

Oops. I was about to list this as [sOLVED]; but remembered...I'm not the OP. Not that he seems to be posting anymore.

To be honest, there's not a great deal to do.  The Plex FireTV app is pretty similar to any other Plex app.  The thing to remember with Plex is that most of the config is server side, so you basically need to learn about Plex's features....

So..... Plex site is the best for that I guess..