Plex high cpu on some mp4

kreto

Hi

on some of my mp4 file i have high cpu use plex is most likely transcoding do to "wrong" mp4 format

is there alternative mediaserver plugin there do better for local streaming a more direct steaming with no transcoding to maybe a client software

the unraid NOOB  ;)

If your client support MP4 then it shouldn't be transcoding at all. All you have to do is change the setting in Plex to direct play the file. I'm a strictly MKV file person. I can stream in and out of network and I don't have any issues. The most people I've had out of network streaming were 4. No issues.

As I understand it mp4 is just a container for the audio & video types inside, much like mkv...

So it may help to use something like mediainfo to get a bit more information about what video and audio encodes are causing you problems.

Also what software you are using. I used Handbreak before, and I had issues with MKV. Now, I've been using MakeMKV for years, and I haven't had any issues.

Hi

ok then i can be subtitles setting or client dont support the format...........a stupid one don´t chrome,edge.firefox  support mp4,mkv.h264 out of the box

or what client i best for direct play  :-[

If the subtitles are not burned directly into the video file, plex will have to do transcoding to get the subtitles to display. Try playing to file without subtitles enabled and see if it still tries to transcode the video

Hi

form what i can google chrome.edge.firefox should support mp4.mkv.aac out of the box

comparing mp4 contianer in mediainfo the high cpu have 5000 bitrate and the 2 low cpu have 1500bitrate

the 3 mp4 contianer is mix off mp4 and mp4 version 2

I have try playing to file without subtitles enabled  still 98-100% cpu usage

thanks for all the help

since i only need local streaming maybe openelec and kodi  is better for that

cheers

Hi

form what i can google chrome.edge.firefox should support mp4.mkv.aac out of the box

comparing mp4 contianer in mediainfo the high cpu have 5000 bitrate and the 2 low cpu have 1500bitrate

the 3 mp4 contianer is mix off mp4 and mp4 version 2

I have try playing to file without subtitles enabled  still 98-100% cpu usage

thanks for all the help

since i only need local streaming maybe openelec and kodi  is better for that

cheers

what do you have your client set to for bitrate?  if the client is set to say 3MB / 720p then plex will transcode it as the client is set to use a lower bitrate than the video is encoded at

Plug-in for life Homie, never has let me down.

Then you missed the good 'ole days of dependency hell.  (I seem to remember that VirtualBox wouldn't run if GCC was installed) 

But, with pretty much only PhAzE doing "real" apps in a plugin delivery method there are zero problems with running PhAzE's Plex vs running a docker Plex.  (although TBH, I personally don't agree with running a "real" app as a plugin.)

hi everybody

i choose to go with PhAzE's Plex plugin and plex home teater on the client i works fine no transcoding  ;D

and thanks for all the help

cheers kreto

I suspect that's more down to the client that the modality in which you're running Plex (No offence to Phase) but at least you're happy.