Can't create new folders in share

fonzie

Yesterday I found I have suddenly been unable to create new folders in my Movies share.  I can delete existing files and view the movies but once I try to create a new folder anywhere within that share, I get a "You need permission to perform this action" notification.  I haven't changed security settings or added users or anything like that.  In fact, when I first got the issue last night, the first thing I did was remove all the users except root (it didn't help).  I also tried running the "take ownership" command from within windows with a registry hack I found online.  I ran it in the root of the Movie share, but it ran very quickly and I don't think it actually worked.  Because I've run it in the past and the process usually take a while to go through all the files.

I read quickly in the forums someone who had a similar issue once before, they posted their syslog and were told that it was a reiserfs problem.  Most of my drives are in that format and I also have 3 drives in my array that have given me some concerns over their SMART status.  Two of them have a command timeout with a number following it.  And another has a command timeout in addition to a "reported uncorrect: 1"

Not sure what any of this means or how it can affect me.  I am planning on running a parity check tonight and hoping this all gets corrected.  If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

I got this on Disk 6:

unraid found corruptions can be fixed only when running with --rebuild-tree

So I attempted to run the code --rebuild-tree

and then I get the following page:

reiserfsck 3.6.24

** Do not  run  the  program  with  --rebuild-tree  unless **
** something is broken and MAKE A BACKUP  before using it. **
** If you have bad sectors on a drive  it is usually a bad **
** idea to continue using it. Then you probably should get **
** a working hard drive, copy the file system from the bad **
** drive  to the good one -- dd_rescue is  a good tool for **
** that -- and only then run this program.                 **

Will rebuild the filesystem (/dev/md6) tree
Will put log info to 'stdout'

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you do):

So I type "Yes" without the quotations and select check, but it just kicks me back to the previous page and doesn't seem do much of anything to rebuild the filesystem on it.  What am I doing wrong?  And according to the writing up there...I should be backing up the harddrive before doing this filesystem restore?

Looking at the SMART report I'm finding these two lines highlighted in yellow which according to my research may mean that my drive is about to or already is failing.  Should I even bother with trying to rebuild the file system and likely losing some data while it tries to do so....or should I replace this drive and use my Parity to rebuild the new replacement data drive?

#	Attribute Name		Flag	Value	Worst	Threshold	Type	   Updated	Failed	Raw Value
187	Reported uncorrect	0x0032	099	099	000		Old age	   Always	Never	1
188	Command timeout	 	0x0032	100	098	000		Old age	   Always	Never	38655492112

You can ignore the command timeout on value on Seagates, reported uncorrected above 0 on the other hand usually means a higher probability of failure, note however that rebuilding disk6 to a new disk won’t fix the filesystem corruption, but that’s what I would do, so you’ll still have old disk6 to try and recover data if the reiserfsck can’t recover the rebuilded disk.

Okay, so if I understand you correctly my process should be:

1. Buy new disk and preclear it

2. rebuild new precleared disk as disk 6

3. try to fix the filesystem with reiserfsck

4. use the old disk 6 which is about to fail as a backup in case some files are lost when repairing the filesystem on the new drive

is this correct?

I got this on Disk 6:

unraid found corruptions can be fixed only when running with --rebuild-tree

So I attempted to run the code --rebuild-tree

and then I get the following page:

reiserfsck 3.6.24

** Do not  run  the  program  with  --rebuild-tree  unless **
** something is broken and MAKE A BACKUP  before using it. **
** If you have bad sectors on a drive  it is usually a bad **
** idea to continue using it. Then you probably should get **
** a working hard drive, copy the file system from the bad **
** drive  to the good one -- dd_rescue is  a good tool for **
** that -- and only then run this program.                 **

Will rebuild the filesystem (/dev/md6) tree
Will put log info to 'stdout'

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you do):

So I type "Yes" without the quotations and select check, but it just kicks me back to the previous page and doesn't seem do much of anything to rebuild the filesystem on it.  What am I doing wrong?  And according to the writing up there...I should be backing up the harddrive before doing this filesystem restore?

This is a bug in the webGui that we will have fixed in 6.1.7.

Okay, so if I understand you correctly my process should be:

1. Buy new disk and preclear it

2. rebuild new precleared disk as disk 6

3. try to fix the filesystem with reiserfsck

4. use the old disk 6 which is about to fail as a backup in case some files are lost when repairing the filesystem on the new drive

is this correct?

Sounds good.

• 4 weeks later...

So I got the replacement hard drive, precleared it, rebuilt it, and fixed the filesystem structure on it.  I also ran a parity check right after that and there were no sync errors detected.

I no longer have a faulty drive or bad SMART reports.  I thought I would be okay, but I still cannot create folders within any of my shares.  It says I do not have the permission from within Windows File Explorer.  Looking at the error log that couchpotato is giving me, it seems like my shares are still set as read-only.  How do I fix this?

What else could be the problem?

Do I run the NewPerms tool to restore the write settings to my drives?  I know that it says only to do this when transitioning from an older version of unRAID, but I don't know what else to do and I need to gain write access back on my unRAID server. 

This is the syslog when trying to create a new folder within the Never Been Kissed directory

Feb 11 18:25:50 media avahi-daemon[10926]: Files changed, reloading.
Feb 11 18:25:50 media avahi-daemon[10926]: Service group file /services/smb.service changed, reloading.
Feb 11 18:25:50 media emhttp: shcmd (264): pidof rpc.mountd &> /dev/null
Feb 11 18:25:50 media emhttp: shcmd (265): /etc/rc.d/rc.atalk status
Feb 11 18:25:51 media avahi-daemon[10926]: Service "media" (/services/smb.service) successfully established.
Feb 11 18:26:03 media emhttp: shcmd (266): :>/etc/samba/smb-shares.conf
Feb 11 18:26:03 media avahi-daemon[10926]: Files changed, reloading.
Feb 11 18:26:03 media emhttp: Restart SMB...
Feb 11 18:26:03 media emhttp: shcmd (267): killall -HUP smbd
Feb 11 18:26:03 media emhttp: shcmd (268): smbcontrol smbd close-share 'Movies'
Feb 11 18:26:03 media emhttp: shcmd (269): cp /etc/avahi/services/smb.service- /etc/avahi/services/smb.service
Feb 11 18:26:03 media avahi-daemon[10926]: Files changed, reloading.
Feb 11 18:26:03 media avahi-daemon[10926]: Service group file /services/smb.service changed, reloading.
Feb 11 18:26:03 media emhttp: shcmd (270): pidof rpc.mountd &> /dev/null
Feb 11 18:26:03 media emhttp: shcmd (271): /etc/rc.d/rc.atalk status
Feb 11 18:26:04 media avahi-daemon[10926]: Service "media" (/services/smb.service) successfully established.
Feb 11 18:27:13 media shfs/user: shfs_mkdir: mkdir: /mnt/cache/Movies/Never Been Kissed (1999)/New folder (30) Read-only file system
Feb 11 18:27:13 media shfs/user: shfs_mkdir: mkdir: /mnt/cache/Movies/Never Been Kissed (1999)/New folder (30) Read-only file system
Feb 11 18:27:17 media shfs/user: shfs_mkdir: mkdir: /mnt/cache/Movies/Never Been Kissed (1999)/New folder (30) Read-only file system
Feb 11 18:27:17 media shfs/user: shfs_mkdir: mkdir: /mnt/cache/Movies/Never Been Kissed (1999)/New folder (30) Read-only file system
Feb 11 18:30:30 media sshd[3920]: Accepted none for root from 192.168.1.103 port 50959 ssh2
Feb 11 18:30:59 media shfs/user: shfs_mkdir: create_path: /mnt/cache/Movies/(500) Days of Summer (2009) Movies/(500) Days of Summer (2009)/test folder /mnt/disk7/Movies/(500) Days of Summer (2009) (30) Read-only file system
Feb 11 18:31:12 media shfs/user: shfs_mkdir: create_path: /mnt/cache/Movies/(500) Days of Summer (2009) Movies/(500) Days of Summer (2009)/test folder /mnt/disk7/Movies/(500) Days of Summer (2009) (30) Read-only file system

I went ahead and ran the NewPerms.  First I ran it only on the disk that I rebuilt.  I still couldn't add or delete files on my shares.  I then ran the NewPerms on my entire array, including the cache drive.  Still, I cannot gain write access to my shares.

this was the output of the newperms

/mnt/cache
processing /mnt/cache
... chmod -R u-x,go-rwx,go+u,ugo+X /mnt/cache
... chown -R nobody:users /mnt/cache
... sync
/mnt/disk1
processing /mnt/disk1
... chmod -R u-x,go-rwx,go+u,ugo+X /mnt/disk1
... chown -R nobody:users /mnt/disk1
... sync
/mnt/disk10
processing /mnt/disk10
... chmod -R u-x,go-rwx,go+u,ugo+X /mnt/disk10
... chown -R nobody:users /mnt/disk10
... sync
/mnt/disk2
processing /mnt/disk2
... chmod -R u-x,go-rwx,go+u,ugo+X /mnt/disk2
... chown -R nobody:users /mnt/disk2
... sync
/mnt/disk3
processing /mnt/disk3
... chmod -R u-x,go-rwx,go+u,ugo+X /mnt/disk3
... chown -R nobody:users /mnt/disk3
... sync
/mnt/disk4
processing /mnt/disk4
... chmod -R u-x,go-rwx,go+u,ugo+X /mnt/disk4
... chown -R nobody:users /mnt/disk4
... sync
/mnt/disk5
processing /mnt/disk5
... chmod -R u-x,go-rwx,go+u,ugo+X /mnt/disk5
... chown -R nobody:users /mnt/disk5
... sync
/mnt/disk6
processing /mnt/disk6
... chmod -R u-x,go-rwx,go+u,ugo+X /mnt/disk6
... chown -R nobody:users /mnt/disk6
... sync
/mnt/disk7
processing /mnt/disk7
... chmod -R u-x,go-rwx,go+u,ugo+X /mnt/disk7
... chown -R nobody:users /mnt/disk7
... sync
/mnt/disk8
processing /mnt/disk8
... chmod -R u-x,go-rwx,go+u,ugo+X /mnt/disk8
... chown -R nobody:users /mnt/disk8
... sync
/mnt/disk9
processing /mnt/disk9
... chmod -R u-x,go-rwx,go+u,ugo+X /mnt/disk9
... chown -R nobody:users /mnt/disk9
... sync
completed, elapsed time: 00:39:15

I'm running out of ideas.  Please help me, Obi Wan Kenobi...you're my only hope.

woohooo I think I finally got it working!  I simply stopped the share and restarted it.  I can now create new files on the shares and I'm not getting any read only errors.  I was able to invoke the mover and all my cache contents are finally being moved over to the share without giving me any resistance.  Glad to be finally done with this nightmare.

The never ending struggle!  It's been a few days since I got everything working, but yesterday my shares reverted to being read-only again!!!  I ran reiserfsck on all the disks and none of them came back with corruptions this time (not even the cache).

Not sure what the problem could be now.  I have attached the latest diagnostics zip:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwIaL8ycjqj2b2dNdGVhZjlSYVU/view?usp=sharing

So looking at the diagnostics file it seems my cache is still throwing out erros, even though unraids file system check showed it was okay.

What I want to do is replace my current 500gb reiserfs cache with a new 500gb cache formatted in btrfs.

I want to transfer all the current files from my cache drive over to the new one so I don't lose docker settings, etc.

First I need to gain write access back to my unRAID and then I'd like to know the steps to do this.  I noticed a plugin that was made for this...would it be a good time to use it?

• 7 years later...