SqueezeBox Server 7.5

Hi Josh, think this is the same issue I had.

Try omitting 'perl' from the startup command.  So just 'slimserver.pl --user slimserver'.  I'll double check my setup later but I'm pretty sure that if you're launching squeezecenter manually like this, the perl isn't required...  Like I said I'll check later for you.

Regards, Matt.

Sorry Josh, I've just re-read your post more carefully ;)  So Squeezcenter is definitely running if your devices can find it.  You must configure everything via the web interface: <server address>:9000.  The first time you do this it will ask you where your music is and then scan it (which can take some time).

Post any results.

Good luck.  Matt.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A BIG BIG BIG Thank you to all that helped.

As per the previous post chown worked for me.

I kept getting freezes when runnung slimserver.pl but closing putty down and opening a new one showed on ps -ef that slimserver was running.

Thanks to Matt, when I logged into IP Address:9000 I registered and started it running but then it froze, webpage couldn't load and had to turn off the unraid box but when it started, reran perl slimserver.pl --user slimserver it started scanning and now works.

I'm sure that the freezes are not meant to happen but my box stays on 24/7 so I'm not going to change anything whilst it works.

Thanks again, Josh

Hi there, another newb here. Cannot get slimserver running.  Have followed all the steps in Post 1, and feel like I have gotten fairly far along, but no dice.

It's a similar request to joshpond, trying to get Squeezebox 7.5.2 working with Free Unraid 4.4.2.  Have BubbaRaid 0.01.17 installed.  (Interesting note...I was running 4.5.6, but when I installed BubbaRaid, it overwrote it back to 4.4.2...just noticed this.)

How are folks doing the telnet session logging? Please let me know so I can include the output.

However, it appears thinigs are quite similar to joshpond, so I've cut/paste his output to replicate mine.

root@Tower:~# cd ..

root@Tower:/# cd /mnt/disk1

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1# chmod 774 slimserver

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1# cd Music\ Listening

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/Music Listening# find . -type d -exec chmod 755 {} \;

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/Music Listening# find . -type f -exec chmod 644 {} \;

root@Tower:/mnt/disk1/slimserver# perl slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver

Your locale was detected as C, you may have problems with non-Latin filenames.

Consider changing your LANG variable to the correct locale, i.e. en_US.utf8

[10-09-12 10:33:26.4175] main::init (323) Starting Squeezebox Server (v7.5.2, r3

1318, Fri Sep 10 03:04:12 MDT 2010) perl 5.010000

Now, at this point, I run the ps -ef command and when I look at the output, slimserver is not running.

So, then I tried without the --daemon command, and got some error messages and again slimserver is not running

I'm very new to Linux, so assume nothing when talking with me! 

Thank you in advance for your wisdom!

Thanks, BRiT! Yes, that thought just struck me too as I wrote that note.  However, I loaded BubbaRaid to avoid having to install perl and all the rest (that apparently I need to run slimsever) as I sadly have no clue how to do that.

But if the consensus that that is the problem, then I would appreciate any instructions on what and how to load what I need to get slimserver running without BubbaRaid.

Thanks, BRiT! Yes, that thought just struck me too as I wrote that note.  However, I loaded BubbaRaid to avoid having to install perl and all the rest (that apparently I need to run slimsever) as I sadly have no clue how to do that.

But if the consensus that that is the problem, then I would appreciate any instructions on what and how to load what I need to get slimserver running without BubbaRaid.

There s a perl package inside unMenu.  If you can get that downloaded and installed then you can just hit a button a couple of times to install the perl package.

I am struggling with unmenu.  The way I read the instructions, the only way to do this change is to have unraid running live.  Is that accurate?

Unmenu must be running to use its package manager.

However, the set of install steps needed to install PERL, and the links needed to download its modules are all in the .conf file that installs PERL.  You can do it without unMENU, it just makes it easier.

That .conf file looks like this: http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/source/browse/trunk/perl-unmenu-package.conf

You can download the two files and install PERL by typing the following six lines (extracted from the perl-unmenu-package.conf file):

mkdir /boot/packages

wget -O /boot/packages/perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-12.2/slackware/d/perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz

wget -O /boot/packages/make-3.81-i486-1.tgz http://slackware.oregonstate.edu/slackware-12.2/slackware/d/make-3.81-i486-1.tgz

installpkg /boot/packages/make-3.81-i486-1.tgz

installpkg /boot/packages/perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz

PERL_MM_USE_DEFAULT=1 perl -MCPAN -e 'install MP3::Tag'

Doing it this way you will need to add the last three lines (in blue) to the end of your "go" script since the package will need to be re-installed each time you reboot.

(You do not need to download it again, or create the /boot/packages directory once you perform those steps in the first three lines one time)

Joe L.

Thanks, Joe L.

I guess I'm in a chicken-egg thing as I have not been able to install unmenu, so I can't use it's package manager.  My issue is that when I type the "unmenu_install -i -d /boot/unmenu" line (via Cmd in Windows on the Flash Drive, plugged into my PC, not my unraid server), it rejects it and won't start.

Therefore I had figured I needed to run it on Unraid "live" but wanted to be sure.  I must be missing something here....

I don't think I can follow the separate PERL install you noted...I think you're saying that I don't need Unraid, but can install PERL separately, by extracting key files from a file that I can't locate.

Thanks, Joe L.

I guess I'm in a chicken-egg thing as I have not been able to install unmenu, so I can't use it's package manager.  My issue is that when I type the "unmenu_install -i -d /boot/unmenu" line (via Cmd in Windows on the Flash Drive, plugged into my PC, not my unraid server), it rejects it and won't start.

That is because unmenu_install is a shell script and needs to be invoked at the command line on Linux after you log onto the unRAID server.  It is NOT a windows command.

Therefore I had figured I needed to run it on Unraid "live" but wanted to be sure.  I must be missing something here....

I don't think I can follow the separate PERL install you noted...I think you're saying that I don't need Unraid, but can install PERL separately, by extracting key files from a file that I can't locate. 

First, I gave you a link to the file unMENU uses.  Second, I extracted the 6 lines you'll need,

To run the six commands I described you must first log onto the unRAID server as "root" using either the system console or via telnet.

If you don't think you can cut and paste those six lines, one at a time into the telnet window on your PC, or type then accurately by hand on the unRAID system console after logging in as "root", then I strongly suggest you get assistance from somebody who has used a command line before as setting up SqueezeBox on the unRAID server is going to be way over your abilities at this time.

Joe L.

Right, ok, that's clearer now, thanks.

I've telnetted in, run all the commands.

At #5 it was "installed", but there is a warning:

Package has not been created with 'makepkg'

At #6, I typed in

PERL_MM_USE_DEFAULT=1 perl -MCPAN -e 'install MP3::Tag'

Result:

-bash: perl: command not found.

If I could paste the output I would, but don't know how to log the telnet session.

Sorry for all the trouble.

I just tried those same six commands on my second server.  ( I already had a /boot/packages directory, so I did not need to create it with

mkdir /boot/packages

root@Tower2:~# wget -O /boot/packages/perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-12.2/slackware/d/perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz

--2010-09-19 21:23:14--  http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-12.2/slackware/d/perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz

Resolving slackware.cs.utah.edu... 155.98.64.87

Connecting to slackware.cs.utah.edu|155.98.64.87|:80... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK

Length: 16333254 (16M) [application/x-tar]

Saving to: `/boot/packages/perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz'

100%[==========================================================================================================================================================>] 16,333,254  63.6K/s   in 4m 14s

2010-09-19 21:27:29 (62.8 KB/s) - `/boot/packages/perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz' saved [16333254/16333254]

root@Tower2:~# wget -O /boot/packages/make-3.81-i486-1.tgz http://slackware.oregonstate.edu/slackware-12.2/slackware/d/make-3.81-i486-1.tgz

--2010-09-19 21:28:09--  http://slackware.oregonstate.edu/slackware-12.2/slackware/d/make-3.81-i486-1.tgz

Resolving slackware.oregonstate.edu... 64.50.236.52

Connecting to slackware.oregonstate.edu|64.50.236.52|:80... connected.

HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK

Length: 504419 (493K) [application/x-gzip]

Saving to: `/boot/packages/make-3.81-i486-1.tgz'

100%[==========================================================================================================================================================>] 504,419      640K/s   in 0.8s

2010-09-19 21:28:10 (640 KB/s) - `/boot/packages/make-3.81-i486-1.tgz' saved [504419/504419]

root@Tower2:~# installpkg /boot/packages/make-3.81-i486-1.tgz

Verifying package make-3.81-i486-1.tgz.

Installing package make-3.81-i486-1.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

# make (GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs)

#

# This is the GNU implementation of make, which was written by Richard

# Stallman and Roland McGrath.  The purpose of the make utility is to

# determine automatically which pieces of a large program need to be

# recompiled, and issue the commands to recompile them.

#

# This is needed to compile just about any major C program, including

# the Linux kernel.

#

Executing install script for make-3.81-i486-1.tgz.

Package make-3.81-i486-1.tgz installed.

root@Tower2:~# installpkg /boot/packages/perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz

Verifying package perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz.

Installing package perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz:

PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:

# perl (Practical Extraction and Report Language)

#

# Larry Wall's "Practical Extraction and Report Language".  Perl is a

# language optimized for scanning arbitrary text files, extracting

# information from those text files, and printing reports based on that

# information.  It's also a good language for many system management

# tasks.  The language is intended to be practical (easy to use,

# efficient, complete) rather than beautiful (tiny, elegant, minimal).

#

Executing install script for perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz.

Package perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz installed.

root@Tower2:~# PERL_MM_USE_DEFAULT=1 perl -MCPAN -e 'install MP3::Tag'

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:

LANGUAGE = (unset),

LC_ALL = (unset),

LC_COLLATE = "C",

LANG = "en_US"

are supported and installed on your system.

perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").

CPAN is the world-wide archive of perl resources. It consists of about

300 sites that all replicate the same contents around the globe. Many

countries have at least one CPAN site already. The resources found on

CPAN are easily accessible with the CPAN.pm module. If you want to use

CPAN.pm, lots of things have to be configured. Fortunately, most of

them can be determined automatically. If you prefer the automatic

configuration, answer 'yes' below.

If you prefer to enter a dialog instead, you can answer 'no' to this

question and I'll let you configure in small steps one thing after the

other. (Note: you can revisit this dialog anytime later by typing 'o

conf init' at the cpan prompt.)

Would you like me to configure as much as possible automatically? [yes] yes

The following questions are intended to help you with the

configuration. The CPAN module needs a directory of its own to cache

important index files and maybe keep a temporary mirror of CPAN files.

MANY MORE INSTALLATION COMMANDS HERE ARE OUTPUT, ending by:

Installing /usr/share/man/man1/typeset_audio_dir.1

Installing /usr/share/man/man3/MP3::Tag::ImageSize.3

Installing /usr/share/man/man3/Normalize::Text::Music_Fields.3

Installing /usr/share/man/man3/MP3::Tag::File.3

Installing /usr/share/man/man3/MP3::Tag::Inf.3

Installing /usr/share/man/man3/MP3::Tag.3

Installing /usr/share/man/man3/MP3::Tag::ImageExifTool.3

Installing /usr/share/man/man3/MP3::Tag::ParseData.3

Installing /usr/share/man/man3/MP3::Tag::ID3v1.3

Installing /usr/share/man/man3/MP3::Tag::ID3v2_Data.3

Installing /usr/share/man/man3/MP3::Tag::LastResort.3

Installing /usr/share/man/man3/MP3::Tag::CDDB_File.3

Installing /usr/share/man/man3/MP3::Tag::Cue.3

Installing /usr/share/man/man3/MP3::Tag::ID3v2.3

Installing /usr/bin/audio_rename

Installing /usr/bin/mp3info2

Installing /usr/bin/typeset_audio_dir

Writing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/i486-linux-thread-multi/auto/MP3/Tag/.packlist

LANGUAGE = (unset),

LC_ALL = (unset),

LC_COLLATE = "C",

LANG = "en_US"

Appending installation info to /usr/lib/perl5/5.10.0/i486-linux-thread-multi/perllocal.pod

LANGUAGE = (unset),

LC_ALL = (unset),

LC_COLLATE = "C",

LANG = "en_US"

LANGUAGE = (unset),

LC_ALL = (unset),

LC_COLLATE = "C",

LANG = "en_US"

ILYAZ/modules/MP3-Tag-1.13.tar.gz

/usr/bin/make install  -- OK

Warning (usually harmless): 'YAML' not installed, will not store persistent state

Hi Keyman,

I found it easier to run it off 4.5.6 with unMenu, very nice program for clueless people like me and you. It probably is easier in the long run as I found that I had to download and install mySQL. As mentioned once before you only have to install it once and you don't need to enable the reinstall on startup but it seems to work after that. I assume that squeezebox uses some of those files.

With unmeu:

Perl: Download-install and enable on start up

MySQL: Download-install

Follow the setup on page one.

Then run:

perl slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver.

From memory once the telnet prints out the list, just highlight and press enter and that should copy the text for you to paste here.

Josh

Thanks to you both for your help!

Joe L, I've compared what I did to your output and it looks good.  Except #5 and of course #6. I've attached a screenshot of my telnet session.

Joshpond, I struggled to get unmenu loaded (a few posts back).  I can follow the steps no problem, but I think my initial starting point is where I've gone wrong.  I see now that the unmenu install is a script which now I presume downloads the files I need from the 'net.  It never occurred to me that a script could do that, but of course it makes sense when I give it a second thought.

So, I'm off to install unmenu, running from my live unRAID server, using the install script.

Perl_install_2.jpg.8a2f87eaf038368019adae6bdbb76e99.jpg

Your download of the perl package was not successful.

It should have said something like this when it was completed:

16,333,254  63.6K/s  in 4m 14s

2010-09-19 21:27:29 (62.8 KB/s) - `/boot/packages/perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz' saved [16333254/16333254]

That is why it did not install, and was subsequently not found when you tried to invoke it.

Joe L.

Wow - great find, Joe!

Well, as you saw on my other thread I was able to get unmenu going, and install Perl and MySQL that way.  (Very cool utility, unmenu!)

However, still no progress on the slimserver.

Here's what I've just done, though I admit I only have some knowledge of what these functions are doing.

booted

started unmenu

Perl is autostarted

MySQL download/installed

at the command line:

echo >> /etc/passwd (No idea what this doing or what it is for)

chmod -R 777 slimserver 

chmod -R 774 slimserver 

chown -R slimserver.users .  (command does not run.  'slimserver.users' is invalid user)

finally:

It gives a few warnings, as before, but says Squeezebox is running.

I check with ps -ef, and as before, it is not listed anywhere.

What info can I provide so one can better troubleshoot?

thanks!

Wow - great find, Joe!

Well, as you saw on my other thread I was able to get unmenu going, and install Perl and MySQL that way.  (Very cool utility, unmenu!)

However, still no progress on the slimserver.

Here's what I've just done, though I admit I only have some knowledge of what these functions are doing.

booted

started unmenu

Perl is autostarted

MySQL download/installed

at the command line:

echo >> /etc/passwd (No idea what this doing or what it is for)

chmod -R 777 slimserver 

chmod -R 774 slimserver   

chown -R slimserver.users .  (command does not run.  'slimserver.users' is invalid user)

finally:

It gives a few warnings, as before, but says Squeezebox is running.

I check with ps -ef, and as before, it is not listed anywhere.

What info can I provide so one can better troubleshoot?

thanks!

The above command do not add the slimserver user anywhere. After the

echo >> /etc/passwd

you also need

echo slimserver:$1$oExleBv6$Ux2qBpAanWMqJqUeH2xqp1:1000:100:,,,:/home/slimserver:/bin/bash >> /etc/passwd

What prostuff said about the echo line. you need to put the second line in as that adds the slimserver.user

Just google chmod, you will find different permissions and what the 777, 774 etc all mean.

chmod -R 777 slimserver 

chmod -R 774 slimserver 

When you run that part you changed permissions for the slimserver to 777 and then to 774, the directories in Music to 755 and the files to 644.

I just ran

chmod -R 777 slimserver
chmod -R 777 Music

That just gave all rights for everything inside the folders. (Security isn't the biggest issue for me)

I ran the chown line, don't know why but it didn't work without it and then the perl --daemon line.

Josh

Yes, extreme thanks indeed to everyone!  I had no chance without you.

Here's the summary of actions I did to get this working, for the record.  For UnRaid 4.5.6 & Squeezebox Server 7.5.2:

Downloaded & installed UnMenu

Start unmenu

Navigate to Unmenu in browser:

//tower:8080  (if this doesn't work and your ISP is hijacking your DNS search, then in Win7, go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network Connections.  Right click on the connection icon -> Properties. Click on IP Version 4, Properties. At the bottom, radio button "Use the following DNS server address:" fill in 8.8.8.8 to use Google, or find another that you like)

Click on Package Manager

Perl: Download-install and enable on start up

MySQL: Download-install

Telnet into Tower, and run:

cd /mnt/disk1

chmod -R 777 slimserver 

chmod -R 777 Music\ Listening (or the name of your music directory)

echo >> /etc/passwd

echo slimserver:$1$oExleBv6$Ux2qBpAanWMqJqUeH2xqp1:1000:100:,,,:/home/slimserver:/bin/bash >> /etc/passwd

chown -R slimserver.users .

cd slimserver

perl slimserver.pl --daemon --user slimserver

To see if it's running run:

ps- ef

Will see a series of apps at the bottom that start "/mnt/disk1/slimserver/bin/i386- ...."

Outstanding Questions:

a) What is the correct method to safely power down the Tower?  I've read that it's run "killall awk", then stop the array via the stop button, then click the power button, but want to be sure.

b) After re-boot, is it possible to have this all start with few commands (e.g. a script)?  I've read the "go.conf" script can be edited.  However, I'm not sure which parts of my list above can be scripted and which not.  For example, the installation of the MySQL, for example. (I see Josh has the same question above, too)

Thanks again to all!

a) What is the correct method to safely power down the Tower?  I've read that it's run "killall awk", then stop the array via the stop button, then click the power button, but want to be sure.

Install WeeboTech powerdown package through the unmenu package manager, make it auto-installable after reboot. When you need to powerdown run /sbin/powerdown or simply powerdown (check the path by running "which powerdown").

Install WeeboTech powerdown package through the unmenu package manager, make it auto-installable after reboot. When you need to powerdown run /sbin/powerdown or simply powerdown (check the path by running "which powerdown").

killall "awk" will kill the currently running "awk" processes, but the unMENU process will not interfere with the stopping of the server.  You need to stop the mysql server, and the python processes you started.

As described, to shut the server down, install the "powerdown" package. set it to re-install on reboot.  Then invoke it as

/sbin/powerdown

To simply kill the python processes, you can try

killall python