We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

unRaid instead of new rig for girlfriend

KRSogaard

My girlfriend need a gaming computer, but instead of buying a whole new computer, where i thinking to do a unRaid solution instead. But i am a bit unsure if my CPU would be enough to run 2 gaming VM's without to much of a performance hit.

My computer is the following:

• 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in Raid 0
  • Corsair K70 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
  • FUNC MS3 REV2
  • NZXT Noctis 450
  • Intel Core i7 4790K
  • ASUS Maximus VII Hero
  • Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 16GB
  • GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1
  • NZXT Kraken Series X61 CPU Liquid Cooler System
  • Corsair AX860I 860W

My plan is to get a 970 as her GPU.

I don't see why that hardware wouldn't be perfectly able to run two gaming VM's, you might want to dedicate an SSD to each one though for performance. Is it your intention to have each gaming VM running at the same time?

Would i not get better performance out of running the SSD's in raid 0?

Yes they will be running at the same time.

I first read it as "unRaid instead of new RING for girlfriend".

She already got the ring, have a wedding in September, one of the reasons i don't want to spend an additional 2k on a new computer :P

The FIRST thing you should do is install UnRAID on the system and set up ONE virtual machine for yourself ... this will give you a good feel about how the system performs using a virtualized gaming OS.

Your motherboard has 2 PCIe x16 slots, but when you install a 2nd graphics card both of those slots will run at x8 speed.    This is not likely to cause any appreciable degradation, but it WILL be slightly slower than it's running now.    You could see the impact of this without actually creating the 2nd VM by simply installing a 2nd video card in the second x16 slot [any PCIe video card will be good enough for this -- it's mere presence will cause the slots to run at x8].

Assuming you're happy with the performance of the system running as a VM with the GPU slot running at x8, your CPU has plenty of "horsepower" to support two simultaneous gaming VM's => most games are far more dependent on the GPU capabilities, and a GTX 980 and GTX 970 are both superb GPU's that will provide plenty of gaming performance.

My girlfriend need a gaming computer, but instead of buying a whole new computer, where i thinking to do a unRaid solution instead. But i am a bit unsure if my CPU would be enough to run 2 gaming VM's without to much of a performance hit.

My computer is the following:

• 2x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB in Raid 0
  • Corsair K70 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
  • FUNC MS3 REV2
  • NZXT Noctis 450
  • Intel Core i7 4790K
  • ASUS Maximus VII Hero
  • Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 16GB
  • GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1
  • NZXT Kraken Series X61 CPU Liquid Cooler System
  • Corsair AX860I 860W

My plan is to get a 970 as her GPU.

Intels K series does not support vt-d, so you will not be able to passthrough any gpus with that one.

JoWe

Archived