Meaning of message: "share outside the list of designated disks"

Whilst diagnosing another issue, I did a "compute size" on all my shares.  One share (see image) indicated "share outside the list of designated disks".  What does that mean?  All my access to unRaid (at least consciously!) is done through shares, not disk mounts (for obvious reasons).  I've looked through all the shares and don't see anything out of line.  So... 1) is this an important message (feels like it is...) and 2) how can I diagnose what it is referring to?

By the way, are there any parameters for the [ IMG ] code to size the image?

Source of message:

width=800http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12412/20160412-xxvz-137kb.jpg[/img]

By the way, are there any parameters for the [ IMG ] code to size the image?

And I believe that message just means that the file(s) are existing somewhere on your disks beyond the disks that your included disks has listed.  Possibly you set the included disks after you had created the share and had files on it.

[img width=200]

width=200http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12412/20160412-xxvz-137kb.jpg[/img]

And I believe that message just means that the file(s) are existing somewhere on your disks beyond the disks that your included disks has listed.  Possibly you set the included disks after you had created the share and had files on it.

That makes sense, but I've never copied files directly to a disk share.  So how can I find where those files are on Disk1?  I've looked at the files and ALL the folders/files are shares...

width=500http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12412/20160412-jdzm-163kb.jpg[/img]

And thanks for the IMG tip! ;)

Maybe I'm not following you...  The message is with regards to your cachebackup share, and it is showing on your disk 1

You've got disk 1 excluded in the share settings for cachebackup.

You'll have to move the files off of disk 1 somewhere else then move them back to cachebackup.

• 2 years later...
On 4/12/2016 at 3:00 PM, Squid said:

[img width=200]

width=200http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12412/20160412-xxvz-137kb.jpg[/img]

I did something similar. I had setup Time Machine user share to disk4 which was a 250GB drive. Now, that I am grasping how Unraid works, I removed the 250GB drive, replaced it with a larger drive, added a few more drives and changed the Time Machine share to disk5.

After doing a Compute on the user share, I see the message: Share is outside the list of designated disks

What are the implications of this?

15 hours ago, Zer0Nin3r said:

What are the implications of this?

Depending upon your point of view, its either an issue or its not.  

Personally, I don't specify any disk for any particular share, and let the files go wherever they choose.  In your case, Time Machine has files on disk 4 and on other disks.  All the message means is that (presumably) disk 4 is no longer listed within the share's settings, but older files already exist on it.  Reading from that share is no problem.

IE: The message is informative only.  Its only a real issue if for whatever reason you absolutely only want the files to be present on certain disks.  And there, its a "user's" issue, not an unRaid issue, as reads will pick up all the files wherever they are, and writes will only go to the drives you've specified.

3 minutes ago, Squid said:

The message is informative only. 

Thank you for the reply and for the insight Squid! I appreciate it.

Q: If I specify a specific drive for a particular share to use, then later change my mind and specify a different drive, will Unraid move the files to the new location I specified? Or do the files live in the old location and generate "Share is outside the list of designated disks"?

Just trying to better understand how Unraid and shares work.

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
1 minute ago, Zer0Nin3r said:

Thank you for the reply and for the insight Squid! I appreciate it.

Q: If I specify a specific drive for a particular share to use, then later change my mind and specify a different drive, will Unraid move the files to the new location I specified? Or do the files live in the old location and generate "Share is outside the list of designated disks"?

Just trying to better understand how Unraid and shares work.

UnRAID never moves files between array disks automatically, this always has to be done manually if you want it to happen.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 years later...
On 10/25/2018 at 1:42 PM, itimpi said:

UnRAID never moves files between array disks automatically, this always has to be done manually if you want it to happen.

Thank you.  How would we move the files?

Is it as simple as using a file explorer? 

5 hours ago, trurl said:

Also builtin Midnight Commander textGUI file manager (mc at command line).

However you do it, DON'T mix disks and user shares when moving or copying.

won't allow you to make that mistake.

I'll use Dynamix and not risk anything.

Thank you!

• 1 year later...