**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

3 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Thank you gentlemen (@Schlichi I'm assuming you're a man, but if you're a lady then apologies)

You assumed correctly.

I don't know if you know any German - but Amazon says the following about my card:

- Keine Stromanbindung mehr erforderlich, dank optimierter Leiterarchitektur

This means:
- No external power supply needed anymore, thanks to optimated circuit architecture.

The card gets the power from the PCIe slot. I have connected a few things directly in the card (e.g. Bluetooth or my USB soundcard). In the active USB hub I have currently only connected my Mac Keyboard and Mouse. I bought the hub primarily to have USB ports ON my desk and not below it, so I could conventiently plug in USB harddrives or my iOS devices.

Greets

Schlichi

6 hours ago, CHBMB said:

Thanks, @archedraft and I both need to plug stuff in via an unpowered hub, (not sure what his use case is exactly, but mine is a hardware KVM switch)

How I have mine set up is -- 

I have a powered usb 3.0 hub which has all of my devices keyboard mouse usb drives bluetooth etc. This then connects to a 4 port USB 3 switch which connects to 4 different computers (well 3 really as 2 of them are the server)

1 connects to the unRAID servers main 'unpassed through' usb port

1 connects to the passed through usb card for vms (osx etc)

1 connects to my other server

1 connects to my laptop

Everything works through the hub for all devices but again a powered hub.

That could work for me to be honest.  I'm currently using a VGA KVM switch, but just as a USB switcher as I've changed all my video to HDMI,

Don't suppose you've got some links to the switch and hub have you @gridrunner?  Much easier to buy stuff that I know is working. :)

EDIT: Might try this switch as it looks like it can take a 5V input via micro USB so would kill two bird with one stone, will report back.

Edited by CHBMB

@CHBMB

I know you have a supermicro board so I'll add my $0.02

I bought a fresco logic pci-e card because it was recommended by Oculus. However, it caused issues with my supermicro board (X9-srl-f). Basically, whenever I shut down the server, it would restart back up when this card was plugged in (only with linux, though). That caused issues during a power outage as you can imagine.

I tried the same card on a different mobo, an asrock with intel pentium, same unraid os and it shuts down properly. YMMV

I then bought this Rosewill (Renesas chipset) and it worked great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011LZY20G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a powered hub hooked up to it and passed through to a Win10 VM for gaming needs (mouse, keyboard, controller, usb headset, etc.)

I can't remember for sure whether I tried to pass it through to OSX to be honest. I haven't touched OSX in a while.

Edited by aptalca
1 minute ago, aptalca said:

@CHBMB

I know you have a supermicro board so I'll add my $0.02

I bought a fresco logic pci-e card because it was recommended by Oculus. However, it caused issues with my supermicro board (X9-srl-f). Basically, whenever I shut down the server, it would restart back up when this card was plugged in (only with linux, though). That caused issues during a power outage as you can imagine.

I tried the same card on a different mobo, an asrock with intel pentium, same unraid os and it shuts down properly. YMMV

I then bought this Rosewill (Renesas chipset) and it worked great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011LZY20G/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a powered hub hooked up to it and passed through to a Win10 VM for gaming needs (mouse, keyboard, usb headset, etc.)

I can't remember for sure whether I tried to pass it through to OSX to be honest. I haven't touched OSX in a while.

I've already got a Renesas D720201based card, works fine in Windows, not in OSX.  I've ordered the Fresco based card and I'll give it a go.  Fingers crossed.

[mention=21046]archedraft[/mention]  Looking at those cards that [mention=67288]gridrunner[/mention] and [mention=78569]Schlichi[/mention] posted, I think I may be onto something with the power.

gridrunner's card takes and extra 5V via a SATA power cable
Schlichi's card is solely powered from the PCI-E slot BUT he uses a powered hub.

But then, your card uses the same chipset and also uses a 5V power supply, which is where my theory falls down.

Would be helpful to know if gridrunner uses a USB hub at all with his card, and if so, if it's powered or not.

arche this is like the old days! lol

It is like the old days! I miss them!

Both of my USB hubs are powered but are old as dirt. One works for sure with 10.11 (Yosemite) but no longer works on 10.13. My suspicion is that 10.13 blacklisted some older hardware but that isn’t based on any real facts.

So, the Fresco based card arrived.  Plugged it in, worked in Windows with my hardware KVM, worked in OSX with my hardware KVM, but as @aptalca warned, it wouldn't allow my server to powerdown, it would appear to do so, then a second later, spring back into life.

I've ordered a 5th USB card to test now, based on the ASMeda ASM1042A chipset which I believe is supported in OSX. 

Change of plan see below

Edited by CHBMB
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, DoeBoye said:

Thanks for doing this testing!

I've actually changed my plan, ordered a different Fresco based card as both @aptalca and I were using a Inateck Fresco based card, so I've ordered an Orico Fresco based card to try and work out if it's the chipset or the Inateck that causes the problem.

To be honest, if you haven't got a Supermicro mobo, then the Inateck card is a good bet, worked fine in Windows and Mac.

1 minute ago, CHBMB said:

To be honest, if you haven't got a Supermicro mobo, then the Inateck card is a good bet, worked fine in Windows and Mac.

Good advice! I'm not actually looking for a new USB card at this point, as I'm out of pci-e slots, but future-me will definitely upgrade when the onboard USB 2.0 that I've passed through becomes too onerous, and posts like yours help pick the right part :).

1 minute ago, DoeBoye said:

Good advice! I'm not actually looking for a new USB card at this point, as I'm out of pci-e slots, but future-me will definitely upgrade when the onboard USB 2.0 that I've passed through becomes too onerous, and posts like yours help pick the right part :).

I'd like to say I'm happy to help..... but honestly, I wish I could just find a card that works. :/

So findings so far....

1st Card - AUKEY 4 Ports PCI-E To USB 3.0 Expansion Card

Chipset: VL805

Findings:  Got an error in my syslog during boot and card was unable to be used either natively in Linux or passed through to Windows or OSX VM

2nd Card - Anker Uspeed PCI-E to USB 3.0 2-Port Express Card

Chipset: VL805

Findings:  Got an error in my syslog during boot and card was unable to be used either natively in Linux or passed through to Windows or OSX VM

3rd Card - Sienoc USB3.0 7Port PCI Express Card

Chipset: - Renesas D720201

Findings: Worked natively in Linux or passed through to Windows, but not detected by OSX VM

4th Card - Inateck KTU3FR-5O2I

Chipset: Fresco FL1100

Findings:  Worked natively in Linux, and worked beautifully in Windows or OSX VMs, able to use my hardware KVM switch with either, but unable to power my server off with the card plugged in, as soon as it powered off, it powered on again.  @aptalca has had the same issue with a Fresco FL1100 card and we both have Supermicro motherboards.

5th Card - ORICO USB3.0 4 Port PCI Express to USB3.0 Host Controller Card (PME-4U)

Chipset: Fresco FL1100

Findings:  Worked natively in Linux, and worked beautifully in Windows or OSX VMs, able to use my hardware KVM switch with either, but unable to power my server off with the card plugged in, as soon as it powered off, it powered on again.  @aptalca has had the same issue with a Fresco FL1100 card and we both have Supermicro motherboards.  I ordered this one to try and exclude the possibility it was an inherent Inateck fault, but after testing this one, I think we can conclude there is an issue with the FL1100 chipset and Supermicro boards.

6th Card - KALEA-INFORMATIQUE Controller Card PCI Express (PCI-E) to 3.1 USB

Chipset: Asmedia ASM1142

Findings:  Success!!  Works in Windows 10, works in OSX, allows my server to powerdown and stay down.

Other possibilities:  Well I'm running out of chipsets to try, only thing I could consider is an expensive Sonnet card which uses the Fresco FL1100 chipset but had four controllers on the card which can in theory be split amongst VMs so one controller to each VM.  I don't hold out much hope this will actually work well given it's got four of the damned chips that won't let me powerdown in the first place. :o

One other thing I did try was using the Renesas based chipset to boot from and passed through my native USB ports, that didn't work well.  Not sure why, but I might investigate that a bit more if I have no other options.

Conclusion

If youi've got a Supermicro motherboard, then Asmedia ASM1142 based USB cards are the way to go, for any other motherboard, then either the Asmedia ASM1142 chipset or the more common Fresco Logic FL1100 based cards would be fine, but if you notice that you have issues with powering down, the card may well be the culprit and try an Asmedia card instead.

It's been..... emotional :)

Edited by CHBMB
Updated information.
  • Like 3

Hi, I watched the videos by @gridrunner on YouTube and developed an interest for unRaid. I was using KVM before on Ubuntu, but I think I like the whole UI and all the features that it offers. Anyhow, what I'm really interested in is moving from a dedicated hackintosh to a virtualized one as in the video. I was not sure if you have to have a specific set of hardware in order to get Mac OS running in a virtualized KVM environment. Does the processor I choose make a difference? Can a single graphics card be shared for multiple VM's running at the same time?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

6 minutes ago, hatemjaber said:

Hi, I watched the videos by @gridrunner on YouTube and developed an interest for unRaid. I was using KVM before on Ubuntu, but I think I like the whole UI and all the features that it offers. Anyhow, what I'm really interested in is moving from a dedicated hackintosh to a virtualized one as in the video. I was not sure if you have to have a specific set of hardware in order to get Mac OS running in a virtualized KVM environment. Does the processor I choose make a difference? Can a single graphics card be shared for multiple VM's running at the same time?

I'm not sure how well it's supported on AMD CPUs, hardware can be a little tricky like any Hackintosh build as far as I can tell.  Just look at my post above yours!  You need a dedicated graphics card for each running VM, although it's possible to share a graphics card if the virtual machines are NOT running at the same time.  Unraid also needs some form of graphics card, which is normally the integrated graphics on the CPU which is used.

@CHBMB it looks like you were a little busy testing hardware. Do you have any recommendations for motherboard and CPU, GPU, etc... that is worth considering? Not sure if it's worth doing, but i was considering taking this existing hackintosh and using it as an unraid server as I get familiar with it before graduating to a new server. It's an i5-haswell with a Gigabyte Z97M-D3H. I have a few drives that I can allocate to it, but I wasn't sure if it's even worth doing that since it's not at all beefy. The ideal situation would be to have enough GPU's, CPU's, and RAM to run multiple VM's at the same time with dedicated resources.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

[mention=6219]CHBMB[/mention] it looks like you were a little busy testing hardware. Do you have any recommendations for motherboard and CPU, GPU, etc... that is worth considering? Not sure if it's worth doing, but i was considering taking this existing hackintosh and using it as an unraid server as I get familiar with it before graduating to a new server. It's an i5-haswell with a Gigabyte Z97M-D3H. I have a few drives that I can allocate to it, but I wasn't sure if it's even worth doing that since it's not at all beefy. The ideal situation would be to have enough GPU's, CPU's, and RAM to run multiple VM's at the same time with dedicated resources.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Not really, I try not to have to work through hardware if I can help it. My current hardware is in my signature if that helps.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
3 hours ago, hatemjaber said:

Hi. Yes, you can run an OSX VM on an AMD CPU but not all. Ryzen seems fine. (my test server is an AMD Ryzen 1500x and osx high sierra is running as a VM on that too).

Qemu will emulate the type of CPU that we need.(and also the motherboard) We normally emulate the Penryn CPU for OSX sierra and onwards. However, you can actually pass through more modern CPU functions that your CPU may have by adding them to the XML and therefore increase performance in the guest, for example

<qemu:arg value='Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on,+invtsc,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,'/>

Also using a dedicated GPU for the VM will give you better performance even if accessing it remotely. The GPU must be supported in the Hackintosh community to work just as a real Hackintosh. As @CHBMB says earlier you can pass through a GPU to multiple VMs (but not all at once.You can shutdown osx then boot windows with the same GPU)

Edited by gridrunner
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, hatemjaber said:

@gridrunner thank you for the information. I think I am motivated enough to turn this current system into an unRaid server so I can follow your videos on YouTube and eventually build a more capable server.

Yeah, good idea. See what you can do with what you have got get used to things then choose some new hardware when you are ready...Good luck :)

4 minutes ago, gridrunner said:

@CHBMB just a long shot re your USB rebooting the server. Is there any bios settings into do with waking the computer through USB. I am sure I remember seeing something to that effect on my x99 board but i'm not sure???   ..may be worth a check??

I didn't really look as I discussed with @aptalca and seeing as I trust his judgement and he'd already investigated that avenue, so I just assumed I was seeing the same phenomenon.

Plus not only does it cause a reboot, sometimes it stops it booting at all and just get a long constant beep from the motherboard speaker which I find a little disconcerting......

Edited by CHBMB
6 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

I didn't really look as I discussed with @aptalca and seeing as I trust his judgement and he'd already investigated that avenue, so I just assumed I was seeing the same phenomenon.

Plus not only does it cause a reboot, sometimes it stops it booting at all and just get a long constant beep from the motherboard speaker which I find a little disconcerting......

Ha yes, long beeps are never a good thing..