**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

On 25.1.2018 at 5:35 PM, ckoepf said:

Schlichi, sounds like you have a good plan.  I wouldn't spend money on something not really necessary either.  From an OSX stand point, that card will definitely work with the NVidia web drivers.  Just follow gridrunner's procedures for passing through an NVidia card in OSX.

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that I got my GTX 960 yesterday and I'm VERY happy with it.

It worked out of the box for me, because I had already installed the NVidia Web Drivers in OS X before (using my GT 710).

OS X runs a lot more smooth with the new GPU. Now it really feels like a genuine Mac.

However, HEVC Hardware decoding in macOS does NOT work. But that was expected.

It does however work in Windows 10 - e.g. with MPC-HC or Kodi (it doesn't work with VLC). I played a few 4K HDR movies and my CPU barely went above 20% while I had perfect playback. :-)

I also started downloading a few Game-Demos in Windows 10 to test the cards gaming capabilities. But that took too long yesterday, so I will test that tonight.

Now my UNRAID server is perfect for me.

Greets

Schlichi

11 hours ago, gridrunner said:

Hi. Yes, you can run an OSX VM on an AMD CPU but not all. Ryzen seems fine. (my test server is an AMD Ryzen 1500x and osx high sierra is running as a VM on that too).

Qemu will emulate the type of CPU that we need.(and also the motherboard) We normally emulate the Penryn CPU for OSX sierra and onwards. However, you can actually pass through more modern CPU functions that your CPU may have by adding them to the XML and therefore increase performance in the guest, for example

<qemu:arg value='Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on,+invtsc,+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,'/>

Also using a dedicated GPU for the VM will give you better performance even if accessing it remotely. The GPU must be supported in the Hackintosh community to work just as a real Hackintosh. As @CHBMB says earlier you can pass through a GPU to multiple VMs (but not all at once.You can shutdown osx then boot windows with the same GPU)

This looks interesting, any source articles or info as to what each of those does. Any idea how much improvement it makes?

14 hours ago, hatemjaber said:

Hi, I watched the videos by @gridrunner on YouTube and developed an interest for unRaid. I was using KVM before on Ubuntu, but I think I like the whole UI and all the features that it offers. Anyhow, what I'm really interested in is moving from a dedicated hackintosh to a virtualized one as in the video. I was not sure if you have to have a specific set of hardware in order to get Mac OS running in a virtualized KVM environment. Does the processor I choose make a difference? Can a single graphics card be shared for multiple VM's running at the same time?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Hi!

I switched to UNRAID just a few weeks ago and I'm VERY happy with it. I even sold my MacMini after getting my macOS VM running smoothly and got a MacBook Air instead. My macOS VM now is a lot faster than my Mac Mini was before. I got a Xeon E3-1231v3 with 4 cores (8 threads). I assigned two cores solely to my VMs and two cores to UNRAID, Plex, TVHeadend etc.

First I also thought about having macOS and Windows VMs running at the same time. But that requires two GPUs for the VMs and doesn't leave enough resources for Plex and all my Dockers. I decided to go for a solution to switch between macOS and Windows and therefore having more powerful VMs (even gaming is possible).

Of course you can always get a CPU with more cores - then running macOS and Windows at the same time while still having enough resources for Dockers won't be a problem. But then you need an own GPU for every VM (or use VNC instead).

My UNRAID setup now has:

- Plex (as a Docker)

- TVHeadend (3x DVB-S2, 1x DVB-C) for Live TV & PVR (as a Docker)

- oscam (for descrambling German HD+ channels) (as a Docker)

- JDownloader (as a Docker)

- SABnzbd (as a Docker)

- webgrabplus (for getting EPG data to TVHeadend) (as a Docker)

All the dockers only use CPUset 0 and 4 - except Plex & TVHeadend - they use 0, 4, 1 and 5 because they can do transcoding.

My Windows 10 and macOS VM have CPUset 2,3,6,7 - a passedthrough NVIDIA GTX 960 GPU, a passed through USB 3.0 PCIe controller (Inateck), a passed through AWBW Hackintosh WLAN/Bluetooth card (Broadcom BCM43602) and a USB Soundcard (connected directly to the passed through USB 3.0 card).

gridrunners Tutorials really helped me a lot (Thank you!)...

Greets

Schlichi

• Upvote 1
On 1/31/2018 at 1:36 PM, CHBMB said:

So findings so far....

1st Card - AUKEY 4 Ports PCI-E To USB 3.0 Expansion Card

Chipset: VL805

Findings:  Got an error in my syslog during boot and card was unable to be used either natively in Linux or passed through to Windows or OSX VM

2nd Card - Anker Uspeed PCI-E to USB 3.0 2-Port Express Card

Chipset: VL805

Findings:  Got an error in my syslog during boot and card was unable to be used either natively in Linux or passed through to Windows or OSX VM

3rd Card - Sienoc USB3.0 7Port PCI Express Card

Chipset: - Renesas D720201

Findings: Worked natively in Linux or passed through to Windows, but not detected by OSX VM

4th Card - Inateck KTU3FR-5O2I

Chipset: Fresco FL1100

Findings:  Worked natively in Linux, and worked beautifully in Windows or OSX VMs, able to use my hardware KVM switch with either, but unable to power my server off with the card plugged in, as soon as it powered off, it powered on again.  @aptalca has had the same issue with a Fresco FL1100 card and we both have Supermicro motherboards.

5th Card - ORICO USB3.0 4 Port PCI Express to USB3.0 Host Controller Card (PME-4U)

Chipset: Fresco FL1100

Findings:  Worked natively in Linux, and worked beautifully in Windows or OSX VMs, able to use my hardware KVM switch with either, but unable to power my server off with the card plugged in, as soon as it powered off, it powered on again.  @aptalca has had the same issue with a Fresco FL1100 card and we both have Supermicro motherboards.  I ordered this one to try and exclude the possibility it was an inherent Inateck fault, but after testing this one, I think we can conclude there is an issue with the FL1100 chipset and Supermicro boards.

6th Card - KALEA-INFORMATIQUE Controller Card PCI Express (PCI-E) to 3.1 USB

Chipset: Asmedia ASM1142

Findings:  Awaiting arrival......

Other possibilities:  Well I'm running out of chipsets to try, only thing I could consider is an expensive Sonnet card which uses the Fresco FL1100 chipset but had four controllers on the card which can in theory be split amongst VMs so one controller to each VM.  I don't hold out much hope this will actually work well given it's got four of the damned chips that won't let me powerdown in the first place. :o

One other thing I did try was using the Renesas based chipset to boot from and passed through my native USB ports, that didn't work well.  Not sure why, but I might investigate that a bit more if I have no other options.

I have a Sonnet card with the FL1100 chipset in my unraid server.  This particular one is about 4 years old and only shows up as 1 controller to pass through.  I do not have a Supermicro motherboard though so it does not affect me at all.  Everything works as it should.

All the other USB controllers on my system are ASMedia.  The builtin controllers on the motherboard will passthrough just fine and work as expected and then I have an addon PCI-e card that's an ASMedia chipset too for an additional USB-C port.  This card works great in either Windows or OSX.

I would have assume based on your testing that any of the FL1100 chipsets are going to cause you problems with the Supermicro board.  Being that you've tried everything else, ASMedia seems to be the path you'll have to try.

• Like 1

Schlichi, I'm glad you got the 960 card working and are happy with the performance.  The 960 does everything I need in OSX and works pretty decent in Windows on games at 1080p with medium to high settings, depending on the game.

All,

I did find out something interesting today with my OSX vm that I'd like to see if anyone else can confirm similar results.  I have all my CPU pinning configured to allow my Mac VM 4 hyper threaded cores, my Win10 vm 4 hyper threaded cores and there are 2 leftover on this 10 core i9 for another vm (runs some backup tasks and an internal DNS server) and unraid.

I was looking at the Dashboard in the unraid gui and saw that the first 6 cores between unraid, the odd vm and Windows were all using the hyperthreads pretty evenly.  Not dead even as expected, but the load was pretty even across everything when there are processes running in each vm for the cores it's using.

On my High Sierra vm though, only half were being consistent and the hyperthreads were barely showing any load on them at all.  After seeing this, I tried changing the setting to 8 cores and 1 thread each.  There was a definite performance improvement in High Sierra and now the they are all utilized fairly even.  I have to assume this has something to do with Unraid as I would think Apple has their use of hyper threads optimized, right?

10 minutes ago, ckoepf said:

I have a Sonnet card with the FL1100 chipset in my unraid server.  This particular one is about 4 years old and only shows up as 1 controller to pass through.  I do not have a Supermicro motherboard though so it does not affect me at all.  Everything works as it should.

All the other USB controllers on my system are ASMedia.  The builtin controllers on the motherboard will passthrough just fine and work as expected and then I have an addon PCI-e card that's an ASMedia chipset too for an additional USB-C port.  This card works great in either Windows or OSX.

I would have assume based on your testing that any of the FL1100 chipsets are going to cause you problems with the Supermicro board.  Being that you've tried everything else, ASMedia seems to be the path you'll have to try.

Thanks man, that's helpful, I am hoping the Asmedia card is the answer to my problems.  One last question......

Where were you 5 USB cards ago?! lol  :D

Edited by CHBMB
16 minutes ago, ckoepf said:

On my High Sierra vm though, only half were being consistent and the hyperthreads were barely showing any load on them at all.  After seeing this, I tried changing the setting to 8 cores and 1 thread each.  There was a definite performance improvement in High Sierra and now the they are all utilized fairly even.  I have to assume this has something to do with Unraid as I would think Apple has their use of hyper threads optimized, right?

I have tested this fairly extensively at the link below. Long story short: virtualized windows doesn't care about hyper threaded processor topology and will run each cpu at 100%. OSX doesn't know better and throttles what it perceives has hyper threaded cores to (presumably) not choke the processor. Want the best osx performance? Don't specify a topology.

On 28/01/2018 at 2:05 PM, archedraft said:

I just bought this last week for 10.13. It works; however, I have to plug the USB devices directly into it. I have 2 different USB hubs and for some reason High Sierra doesn’t recognize them? 10.11 works with both with out any issues so I have no idea what’s going on. Good news is the new PCIe card has 4 usb so plugging everything into it is fine. I really wish I knew why the hubs are not working (did 10.13 add some sort of hardware compatibility requirements or maybe a USB 3 controller has to has a USB 3 hub??).

ORICO 4-Port USB3.0 PCI-E Expansion Card USB3.0 4 Port PCI Express to USB3.0 Host Controller Adapter Card with 30cm 15PIN SATA to Big 4PIN Power Cord Compatible with Windows,Vista,Linux and Mac OS http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1DS1EA8223

@archedraft  So I ended up with a Asmedia 1142 based card, and I've bought a USB 3.0 hub/switch which works fine with it.  The Hub/switch is this one.

Hi everyyone,

I tried following the tutorial too, but I'm running into an issue. When I try to boot into the installer it takes forever. I've let it run for hours now but only got about 90% of the loading bar done.

I hope someone can help me. Here's my logs:

2018-02-03 18:37:37.395+0000: starting up libvirt version: 3.8.0, qemu version: 2.10.2, hostname: Netzmelone
LC_ALL=C PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin HOME=/ QEMU_AUDIO_DRV=none /usr/local/sbin/qemu -name guest=macOS,debug-threads=on -S -object secret,id=masterKey0,format=raw,file=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-13-macOS/master-key.aes -machine pc-q35-2.10,accel=kvm,usb=off,dump-guest-core=off,mem-merge=off -cpu host -drive file=/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd,if=pflash,format=raw,unit=0,readonly=on -drive file=/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/bbe099b1-740f-bcdb-e4cf-91d9bdaafdfb_VARS-pure-efi.fd,if=pflash,format=raw,unit=1 -m 8192 -realtime mlock=off -smp 4,sockets=1,cores=2,threads=2 -uuid bbe099b1-740f-bcdb-e4cf-91d9bdaafdfb -no-user-config -nodefaults -chardev socket,id=charmonitor,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/domain-13-macOS/monitor.sock,server,nowait -mon chardev=charmonitor,id=monitor,mode=control -rtc base=utc,driftfix=slew -global kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=delay -no-hpet -no-shutdown -boot strict=on -device pcie-root-port,port=0x10,chassis=1,id=pci.1,bus=0x0,drive=drive-virtio-disk3,id=virtio-disk3 -netdev tap,fd=26,id=hostnet0 -device e1000-82545em,netdev=hostnet0,id=net0,mac=52:54:00:41:d1:d3,bus=pci.2,addr=0x0 -chardev pty,id=charserial0 -device isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0 -chardev socket,id=charchannel0,path=/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/domain-13-macOS/org.qemu.guest_agent.0,server,nowait -device virtserialport,bus=virtio-serial0.0,nr=1,chardev=charchannel0,id=channel0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0 -device usb-tablet,id=input0,bus=usb.0,port=1 -vnc 0.0.0.0:0,websocket=5700 -k en-us -device qxl-vga,id=video0,ram_size=67108864,vram_size=67108864,vram64_size_mb=0,vgamem_mb=16,max_outputs=1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1 -device virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.4,addr=0x0 -usb -device usb-mouse,bus=usb-bus.0 -device usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0 -smbios type=2 -cpu Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on, -msg timestamp=on
2018-02-03 18:37:37.395+0000: Domain id=13 is tainted: high-privileges
2018-02-03 18:37:37.395+0000: Domain id=13 is tainted: custom-argv
2018-02-03 18:37:37.395+0000: Domain id=13 is tainted: host-cpu
2018-02-03T18:37:37.449040Z qemu-system-x86_64: -chardev pty,id=charserial0: char device redirected to /dev/pts/1 (label charserial0)

And my XML:

<domain type='kvm' id='13' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>macOS</name>
  <uuid>bbe099b1-740f-bcdb-e4cf-91d9bdaafdfb</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Linux" icon="default.png" os="linux"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>8388608</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>8388608</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='1'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='5'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='3'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='7'/>
  </cputune>
  <resource>
    <partition>/machine</partition>
  </resource>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.10'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/bbe099b1-740f-bcdb-e4cf-91d9bdaafdfb_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='2' threads='2'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/disks/Samsung_SSD_840_Series_S14CNEAD177114M/highsierra.img'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <alias name='sata0-0-2'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/macOS/vdisk2.img'/>
      <backingStore/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='virtio'/>
      <alias name='virtio-disk3'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <alias name='usb'/>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <alias name='ide'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'>
      <alias name='pcie.0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <alias name='pci.1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <alias name='pci.2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <alias name='pci.3'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <alias name='pci.4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='5' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='5' port='0x14'/>
      <alias name='pci.5'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x4'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <alias name='virtio-serial0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:41:d1:d3'/>
      <source bridge='virbr0'/>
      <target dev='vnet0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
      <alias name='net0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/1'/>
      <target port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty' tty='/dev/pts/1'>
      <source path='/dev/pts/1'/>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
      <alias name='serial0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <source mode='bind' path='/var/lib/libvirt/qemu/channel/target/domain-13-macOS/org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0' state='disconnected'/>
      <alias name='channel0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <alias name='input0'/>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'>
      <alias name='input1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'>
      <alias name='input2'/>
    </input>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='yes' websocket='5700' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <alias name='video0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <alias name='balloon0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <seclabel type='dynamic' model='dac' relabel='yes'>
    <label>+0:+100</label>
    <imagelabel>+0:+100</imagelabel>
  </seclabel>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

On 01/02/2018 at 9:57 AM, planetwilson said:

This looks interesting, any source articles or info as to what each of those does. Any idea how much improvement it makes?

On 01/02/2018 at 10:10 AM, Schlichi said:

I only use

<qemu:arg value='Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on,+invtsc,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,'/>

@gridrunner:

What does

+avx,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt

do?

Greets

Schlichi

Hi these are various cpu extensions none of which in Penryn so they can be enabled and passed through.

avx  Advanced Vector Extensions   These are used I believe in some of the adobe products and some video software

aes Advanced Encryption Standard. This improves the speed of encryption/decryption of aes.

xsave Save Processor Extended States. This allows saving of processor state components

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions#Advanced_Vector_Extensions_2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Encryption_Standard

Edited by gridrunner
  • Upvote 1

Has anyone managed to pass through an intel IGD to OSX?

I've got my OSX VM running fine using VNC on unRAID 6.4.1 but can't get any output signal if I try to swap to IGD graphics with the XML below. I've tried plugging a screen into both the HDMI and DVI ports, neither outputs a signal. I haven't tried the VGA port as I don't have a cable handy.

The same hostdev tags work fine for a libreelec VM, so I'm assuming it's a problem on the OSX side?

OSX VM boots fine and I can access it via apples screen sharing or nomachine, but the connected display remains black.

Do I need to change anything in clover to get this to work? Or is it a lost cause and intel IGD will never work?

Here's what OSX system report thinks is happening

5a78e94e607e7_ScreenShot2018-02-06at10_25_33am.thumb.png.db5e7edf3d5f011736c9d664a3d70e65.png

The resolution is different from what I've specified in the clover bios and config.plist, so at least something is changing compared to booting with VNC graphics in the XML.

The display preferences pane in system settings report the screen as built-in with 1280x1024 the only option for resolution. As far as I can tell this is not the native resolution of the screen I've got connected or the 27 inch iMac, so not sure where it's coming from.

5a78ed7dafa29_ScreenShot2018-02-06at10_47_22am.png.fb050481317d01fa6fe8e720d12ae14c.png

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

cheers

Jorgen

<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>JorgenOSX</name>
  <uuid>50c672ad-610f-9d8c-d0b1-b02d2055556e</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Linux" icon="Apple_vintage_white.png" os="linux"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>4194304</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>4194304</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>4</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='6'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='3'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='7'/>
    <emulatorpin cpuset='0,4'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.10'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/50c672ad-610f-9d8c-d0b1-b02d2055556e_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
    <boot dev='hd'/>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='2' threads='2'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
  </clock>
  <devices>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/JorgenOSX/vdisk2.img'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/disk3/J-VM-vdisk2/vdisk2.img'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
    </controller>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
      <master startport='2'/>
    </controller>
      <master startport='4'/>
    </controller>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    </controller>
    </controller>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='5' model='dmi-to-pci-bridge'>
      <model name='i82801b11-bridge'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1e' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='6' model='pci-bridge'>
      <model name='pci-bridge'/>
      <target chassisNr='6'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x05' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    </controller>
      <mac address='52:54:00:54:45:cf'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='e1000-82545em'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target port='0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
    </channel>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x06' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    <hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>
      <driver name='vfio'/>
      <source>
        <address domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x03' function='0x0'/>
      </source>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </hostdev>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

On 2018-02-03 at 4:00 PM, CHBMB said:

@archedraft  So I ended up with a Asmedia 1142 based card, and I've bought a USB 3.0 hub/switch which works fine with it.  The Hub/switch is this one.

I took the step as well to get a USB card for OSX :-)

Ordered this one and works great, and shutdown is OK as well for my SM motherboard.

The only issue I have now with my VM is when I shall shut down my VM!

instead of shutting down it's restarted. but that was even before I switched to the new card.

Anyone that have seen this behavior?  It's a lot of info from google about this, and I have tried several things without luck

//Peter

Edited by peter_sm
I took the step as well to get a USB card for OSX :-)
Ordered this one and works great, and shutdown is OK as well for my SM motherboard.

The only issue I have now with my VM is when I shall shut down my VM!

instead of shutting down it's restarted. but that was even before I switched to the new card.
Anyone that have seen this behavior?  It's a lot of info from google about this, and I have tried several things without luck

//Peter

Mine does the same. Try to shutdown leads to the VM restarting. I have no clue where to start with that.
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone else having issues with 2 GPU's? I have auto login setup and if I boot with 1GPU it works as intended. If I try to boot 2, it brings up the login screen. After entering the password, it spins like it's going to move to the desktop, then the screen goes black, followed by the login screen coming back up. This is using a gt 710 and gtx 1060 with web drivers enabled appropriate web drivers enabled. 1060 works fine if it is the only gpu sent to the vm.

thanks!

On 28.1.2018 at 6:35 AM, ckoepf said:

I thought gridrunner answered a similar problem back a few pages.  To me, it sounds like clover was not installed properly on the USB flash drive you used to create the img file.  If clover is loading, the img file is working, but if clover is not finding the disk it is loading from, it sounds like there was a problem during the creation of the disk or installation of clover.

I'm also assuming this is before you even get to the installation of OSX?  i don't recall you specifying that.

I have a similar issue. 

I made a macOS usb install media (with a macOS 10.13.3 High Sierra and latest BDU utility) on my windows vm.  

efi partition and hfs partition seem to be there on the usb stick. I then made the img.

via the terminal command and set up the vm in unraid as per the instructions + xml copy and paste.

I can boot the vm into clover but there is no option to install macOS.  Seems it cant find the second non-efi partition.

the most left option in the clover menu is uefi shell; when I go in the uefi shell I can see fs1 is the efi partition with efi/clover and on it and fs1 is the macos partition. when i go in fs1: efi/clover/cloverx64.efi is there and i can boot in that to arrive back in the clover menu.

so that is that

after i initially made the usb install media i copied kexts (from gridrunners support files dated 24-09-2017 (to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts) 

and his config.plist 19-09-2017 (to /EFI/CLOVER)  as well as the two drivers (to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI).

Also copied the q35...aml file (to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/origin).

Besides wondering what the issue is I also ask myself:

-is creating the install media with BDU utility in a windows vm a problem (uefi/efi mode ?)

-do gridrunners files (kext and config.plist) need to be updated to fit the my highsierra release ?

has anybody made the usb install media on windows ?

any help is most appreciated

thanks

Edited by unrateable

Hello all,

I followed the guide and successfully passed the point where you reboot and change the resolution. Next step is to boot into the installer. The Apple logo show up then it reboots. I downloaded the latest clover when building the installer. 

I couldn’t seem to find a similar issue in this thread, but there’s a couple comments on the YouTube video without a solution. 

Thanks for everyone’s time and to threadrunner for the amazing videos!

4 hours ago, Tvguru said:

Hello all,

I followed the guide and successfully passed the point where you reboot and change the resolution. Next step is to boot into the installer. The Apple logo show up then it reboots. I downloaded the latest clover when building the installer. 

I couldn’t seem to find a similar issue in this thread, but there’s a couple comments on the YouTube video without a solution. 

Thanks for everyone’s time and to threadrunner for the amazing videos!

Can you post your XML?

Greets

Schlichi

8 hours ago, Schlichi said:

Can you post your XML?

Greets

Schlichi

Sure thing I appologize for the formatting. I am on my iPad on break. 

Thanks for you time.

<domain type='kvm'>
  <name>OS High Sierra</name>
  <uuid>d69ee06c-5144-db8c-bf49-ea626e7b973c</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Linux" icon="linux.png" os="linux"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>8388608</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>8388608</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>8</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='0'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='1'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='3'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='4'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='5'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='6'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='7'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-2.9'>hvm</type>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/d69ee06c-5144-db8c-bf49-ea626e7b973c_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='8' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>
<clock offset='utc'>
  </clock>
  <devices>
      <source file='/mnt/user/isos/highsierra.img'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
    </disk>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/OS High Sierra/vdisk2.img'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
    </controller>
      <master startport='0'/>
    </controller>
      <master startport='2'/>

</controller>
      <master startport='4'/>
    </controller>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    </controller>
    </controller>
    </controller>
    </controller>
    </controller>

<mac address='52:54:00:62:e7:99'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='virtio'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target port='0'/>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
    </channel>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
</domain>